Transcript 10/31/11 Jason Hawes & Grant Wilson

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/31/11 Jason Hawes & Grant Wilson

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:29 pm

Halloween Edition

Jason Hawes & Grant Wilson
Ghost Hunters

The Ghost Hunters are guaranteed a minimum of $10,000 donated to Hasbro Children’s Hospital.

Topic Tree:

Original order not shown.

Topic Tree: (randomized)

Historical Swim
Size Matters
Number Nightmare
Costumes
Silly Science
Green Cities
Hot Rides
Political Songs
Dylan Cameo
MonStars

Question 1 – MonStars
Because they are believed to stay youthful by drawing fuel from neighboring stars, scientists have given blue straggler stars what nickname?
A. Frankenstein stars
B. Werewolf stars
C. Vampire stars
D. Mummy stars
Spoiler
C. Vampire stars
$25K
Bank - $25K
Question 2 – Dylan Cameo
In a rare TV appearance, Bob Dylan signed an autograph “To Chumbiee” on what reality show?
A. Pawn Stars
B. American Chopper
C. Pit Boss
D. Ace of Cakes
Spoiler
A. Pawn Stars
$5K
Bank - $30K
Question 3 – Political Songs
The lyric “Hey, Ayatollah, leave those kids alone” appears in an Iranian youth anthem adapted from a song by what rock band?
A. Van Halen
B. The Police
C. The Clash
D. Pink Floyd
Spoiler
D. Pink Wall
$7K
Bank - $37K
Question 4 – Hot Rides
If you are riding “shotbun” you are most likely sitting in the passenger seat of what famous vehicle?
A. The Popemobile
B. The Wienermobile
C. The Batmobile
D. The Bluesmobile
Spoiler
B. The Wienermobile
$15K
Bank - $52K
commercial break

Question 5 – Green Cities
Covering over 300 acres, Grant Park is often called the “front yard” of what U.S. city?
A. Boston
B. St. Louis
C. Chicago
D. Los Angeles

JTQ 1
Spoiler
C. Chicago
$10K
Bank - $52K
Question 6 – Silly Science
What invention was created by Harry Coover, whose obituary in 2011 noted its use by college pranksters on toilet seats?
A. Paper Clips
B. Velcro
C. Super Glue
D. Post-it notes
Spoiler
C. Super Glue
$100
Bank - $52,100
Question 7 - Costumes
A necklace with a male symbol medallion is often part of what popular Halloween costume?
A. Austin Powers
B. Frodo
C. Neo
D. The Hulk
Spoiler
A. Austin Powers
$2K
Bank - $54,100
commercial break

Question 8 – Number Nightmare
Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia is the fear of what number?
A. 13
B. 237
C. 666
D. 2012
Spoiler
C. 666
$3K
Bank - $57,100
Question 9 – Size Matters
Cherrystones, quahogs, and top necks are terms used to refer to what seafood?
A. Lobsters
B. Clams
C. Shrimp
D. Mussels
Spoiler
B. Clams
$500
Bank - $57,600
Question 10 – Historical Swim
Because he could not swim, what political figure was reportedly force to wear water-wings in a swimming pool meeting with Chairman Mao?
A. Henry Kissinger
B. Charles de Gaulle
C. Ho Chi Minh
D. Nikita Khrushchev

JTQ 2
Spoiler
D. Nikita Khrushchev
$1K
Bank - $57,600
commercial break

$100K
In order to dig a hole through the center of the Earth and wind up in Beijing, China, you’ll have to start in which of these countries?
A. Colombia
B . Argentina
C. Mexico
D. Canada

ATA
ATA results
17% A. Colombia
36% B . Argentina
22% C. Mexico
25% D. Canada

Jason and Grant decide to leave with $57,600.
Spoiler
B. Argentina
End of show noise.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 10/31/11 Jason Hawes & Grant Wilson

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:45 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K
In order to dig a hole through the center of the Earth and wind up in Beijing, China, you’ll have to start in which of these countries?
A. Colombia
B . Argentina
C. Mexico
D. Canada

ATA
ATA results
17% A. Colombia
36% B . Argentina
22% C. Mexico
25% D. Canada

Spoiler
B. Argentina
Okay, I had an advantage because I've thought about this type of question before, but it's really solvable by anyone who takes the time to analyze it. If you start at a location in the northern hemisphere and draw a line through the center of the earth, you must end up in the southern hemisphere. Argentina was the only one of the choices south of the equator.

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:46 pm

As for Meredith's comment that they'd make having Jason and Grant as Halloween celebrity contestants an annual tradition: <grumble>®

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:25 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Halloween Edition

Jason Hawes & Grant Wilson
Ghost Hunters

The Ghost Hunters are guaranteed a minimum of $10,000 donated to Hasbro Children’s Hospital.
Meredith hinted that this might become a tradition (she noted that this was the "2nd annual 'Ghost Hunters' appearance). I'm not one for lots of banter but there was one funny moment - after airing a clip of Meredith's appearance on their show, one of the contestants joked that they edited out the part where Meredith ran screaming out of the house. Meredith denied it, then said "You're in my building now.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Topic Tree:

So are we back to the new scrambling (on Friday the stack appeared the "old-fashioned" way)?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 8 – Number Nightmare
Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia is the fear of what number?
A. 13
B. 237
C. 666
D. 2012
Spoiler
C. 666
$3K
Bank - $57,100
Meredith had quite a time trying to say that word.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 10 – Historical Swim
Because he could not swim, what political figure was reportedly force to wear water-wings in a swimming pool meeting with Chairman Mao?
A. Henry Kissinger
B. Charles de Gaulle
C. Ho Chi Minh
D. Nikita Khrushchev

JTQ 2
Spoiler
D. Nikita Khrushchev
$1K
Bank - $57,600
I'd have used a JTQ also.
A. Colombia
B . Argentina
C. Mexico
D. Canada

ATA
ATA results
17% A. Colombia
36% B . Argentina
22% C. Mexico
25% D. Canada

Spoiler
B. Argentina
Amazingly the audience was right, though not by a strong number. I got this one because I remember reading an essay by Isaac Asimov when I was much younger discussing the fact that it would be impossible to dig a hole through the center of the earth from any place in the U.S. and end up in China. I believe the article was talking about city names and mentioned Canton, OH, as being named because it was believed to be antipodal to Canton, China. Any spot in the U.S. is antipodal to the Indian Ocean, IIRC. Knowing that, it's pretty obvious that it's not Canada, Mexico or Colombia. So I'd be looking at the $250K question with two lifelines still available.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

tanstaafl2

#5 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:30 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
A. Colombia
B . Argentina
C. Mexico
D. Canada

ATA
ATA results
17% A. Colombia
36% B . Argentina
22% C. Mexico
25% D. Canada

Spoiler
B. Argentina
Okay, I had an advantage because I've thought about this type of question before, but it's really solvable by anyone who takes the time to analyze it. If you start at a location in the northern hemisphere and draw a line through the center of the earth, you must end up in the southern hemisphere. Argentina was the only one of the choices south of the equator.
Yes, pretty darn easy really. They could have perhaps made it a bit challenging by putting at least one other southern hemisphere country in the answers. Then again it was a "celebrity" edition.

And yet they still missed it. Shocking...

Although just knowing geography seems challenging enough. Knowing antipodal geography might be asking a bit too much.

The ATA seems to provide data to suggests nearly two-thirds of the population could be geo nitwits. That figure seems a bit low to me but the 36% may have been inflated a bit since there may well have been people interested and knowledgeable about trivia in the audience to a greater extent than the average US population.

The tunnel would come out in what appears to be a fairly sparsely populated area just north of the Rio Negro in the southern pampas it would appear. Will have to see if they are doing any digging there when I fly over in January! After all, all those extra Chinese folk in our ever expanding population have got to go somewhere...
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

tanstaafl2

#6 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:36 am

earendel wrote:
A. Colombia
B . Argentina
C. Mexico
D. Canada

ATA
ATA results
17% A. Colombia
36% B . Argentina
22% C. Mexico
25% D. Canada

Spoiler
B. Argentina
Amazingly the audience was right, though not by a strong number. I got this one because I remember reading an essay by Isaac Asimov when I was much younger discussing the fact that it would be impossible to dig a hole through the center of the earth from any place in the U.S. and end up in China. I believe the article was talking about city names and mentioned Canton, OH, as being named because it was believed to be antipodal to Canton, China. Any spot in the U.S. is antipodal to the Indian Ocean, IIRC. Knowing that, it's pretty obvious that it's not Canada, Mexico or Colombia. So I'd be looking at the $250K question with two lifelines still available.
Well, not ANY point! Hawaii is antipodal to northern Botswana. We were almost exactly antipodal to Pam's home in Honolulu when we were there on safari in 2008.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:34 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:
earendel wrote:
A. Colombia
B . Argentina
C. Mexico
D. Canada

ATA
ATA results
17% A. Colombia
36% B . Argentina
22% C. Mexico
25% D. Canada

Spoiler
B. Argentina
Well, not ANY point! Hawaii is antipodal to northern Botswana. We were almost exactly antipodal to Pam's home in Honolulu when we were there on safari in 2008.
I believe that Asimov was speaking about the continental U.S. - he may have made reference to Hawaii and Africa but it's been at least 35 years since I read the essay (in one of his collections).

One thing about the question, though - it never says that it has to be a straight line. One could dig from any one of those four countries to the center of the Earth and then make a turn so as to reach Beijing. It wouldn't be the most direct route but that wasn't part of the question, either.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

jarnon

#8 Post by jarnon » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:03 pm

earendel wrote:I remember reading an essay by Isaac Asimov when I was much younger discussing the fact that it would be impossible to dig a hole through the center of the earth from any place in the U.S. and end up in China. I believe the article was talking about city names and mentioned Canton, OH, as being named because it was believed to be antipodal to Canton, China. Any spot in the U.S. is antipodal to the Indian Ocean, IIRC.
I remember that story too. "Antipodes" must have been one of Asimov's favorite words, because Googling "Asimov antipodes" gets lots of hits. (He also liked the word "azimuth.") Here's one of the hits:
The Straight Dope wrote:All the Muslims around the world face Mecca when they pray. The antipodal point to Mecca is an island called Tematagi in the Tuamoto Archipelago in the South Pacific. The place that they all turn their backs on. This answers the question asked by the 17th-century Ottoman Turkish essayist Katip Çelebi if there is any spot on the globe where the direction of Mecca could be equally any direction at all. He figured out that it would be the antipodal point even though he didn't know there really was an island called Tematagi there.

Circa 1970 Isaac Asimov wrote one of his essays about antipodal points. He concluded by noting that the antipodes of Vietnam was in Ecuador, so people fed up with the war could go there to get as far away from Vietnam as possible.
And here's an antipodal map, showing that almost all land masses are antipodal to oceans:
Antipodes: The Other Side of the World
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Snaxx

#9 Post by Snaxx » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:38 pm

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Topic Tree:

So are we back to the new scrambling (on Friday the stack appeared the "old-fashioned" way)?
Today's show went back to offering the unrandomized version.

Either:
(a) they show the unrandomized categories only when they feel like it -or-
(b) they stopped offering the unrandomized version and the inconsistency results from the shuffling of airdates. It is possible the celeb version taped after today's and Friday's shows.
---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:47 pm

earendel wrote:One thing about the question, though - it never says that it has to be a straight line. One could dig from any one of those four countries to the center of the Earth and then make a turn so as to reach Beijing. It wouldn't be the most direct route but that wasn't part of the question, either.
In that case, all the answers would be correct.

While you could dig a tangent line from the US to China without passing through the center of the Earth, you've got to assume they're talking about straight lines when they do mention it!