To SSS-Reconnaissance Drone Question

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

To SSS-Reconnaissance Drone Question

#1 Post by Spock » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:09 am

As a reminder to people-SSS is our resident Bored Guru on Satellites and Surveillance technologies. Remember he informed us in the main "Balloon" thread that the Chinese (and US) get everything we need from satellites so there is no need for supplemental technologies like balloons.

I have been reading about the Russian use of Reconnaissance drones ( and balloons) over the Ukraine and a question struck me. I presume we also have recon drones and I would guess that the Russians have a pretty good network of satellites.

Why would anybody (especially USA, Russia and China) need to use a supplemental technology like a Reconnaissance drone when (according to SSS) we already get everything we need from satellites?

silverscreenselect

Re: To SSS-Reconnaissance Drone Question

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:16 am

Spock wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:09 am
Why would anybody (especially USA, Russia and China) need to use a supplemental technology like a Reconnaissance drone when (according to SSS) we already get everything we need from satellites?
Since you apparently don't read anything I post, I'll go over it again. Recon satellites fly at a height of about 100 miles and orbit the earth every 90 minutes or so. Military reconnaissance drones fly at 10 to 20000 feet and are highly mobile. Civilian reconnaissance drones like police departments use fly at much lower heights. These drones are far more useful than a military satellite for spotting individual troop and vehicle movements to call in aerial or artillery strikes or to plan ground attacks.

Again, I never said we get "everything" we need from satellites. I quoted the NORAD general who said the Chinese spy balloon did not add any additional capabilities that their satellites did not already have.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:03 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:16 am

Again, I never said we get "everything" we need from satellites. I quoted the NORAD general who said the Chinese spy balloon did not add any additional capabilities that their satellites did not already have.
You quoted the general, so I assume you believe what he said.

Do you also believe the Chinese intelligence community is stupid? Because that is what the general is saying. I don't believe he believes that but I also to buy what he said and assume he is saying that to cover his or Biden's ass.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:25 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:03 pm
Do you also believe the Chinese intelligence community is stupid? Because that is what the general is saying.
I don't believe the Chinese intelligence community is stupid. I do believe that the balloon got away from them due to some sort of mishap or malfunction originally.

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:41 pm

Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:25 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:03 pm
Do you also believe the Chinese intelligence community is stupid? Because that is what the general is saying.
I don't believe the Chinese intelligence community is stupid. I do believe that the balloon got away from them due to some sort of mishap or malfunction originally.
Do you believe is was a spy balloon? If not, I guess we can quit here. If so, what was its mission and why not just use their existing fleet of sattalites? Why even have a spy balloon?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:05 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:41 pm
Do you believe is was a spy balloon? If not, I guess we can quit here. If so, what was its mission and why not just use their existing fleet of sattalites? Why even have a spy balloon?
It was a spy balloon. The best version I've heard was that it was targeting Guam but got away. A balloon makes some sense to maintain surveillance on a small island (which has military installations) where it can stay in international waters, which is perfectly legal. Even then, it got away from the Chinese, so it wasn't the most reliable vehicle in the world.

BackInTex

#7 Post by BackInTex » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:55 am

Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:05 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:41 pm
It was a spy balloon. The best version I've heard was that it was targeting Guam but got away. A balloon makes some sense to maintain surveillance on a small island (which has military installations) where it can stay in international waters, which is perfectly legal. Even then, it got away from the Chinese, so it wasn't the most reliable vehicle in the world.
Why use a potentially unreliable tool when sattalites are available and can do everything the unreliable tool can?
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:00 am

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:55 am
Why use a potentially unreliable tool when sattalites are available and can do everything the unreliable tool can?
The Chinese demonstrated the reason not to use this tool last month.

jarnon

#9 Post by jarnon » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:49 pm

This confrontation near Ukraine shows the limitations of drones.

Russian fighter jet forces down US drone over Black Sea
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#10 Post by jarnon » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:03 pm

OTOH, this video shows a successful attack, presumably by Ukrainian drones:

This is an embarrassment for Putin as Xi is visiting the Kremlin. Maybe Xi will offer Putin some Chinese balloons.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:20 pm

jarnon wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:03 pm
OTOH, this video shows a successful attack, presumably by Ukrainian drones:

This is an embarrassment for Putin as Xi is visiting the Kremlin. Maybe Xi will offer Putin some Chinese balloons.
It's not just the loss of the cruise missiles. The explosions took place at a major railroad hub in Crimea. Depending on the extent of the damage, this could significantly limit Russia's ability to move materials by rail through Crimea.

jarnon

#12 Post by jarnon » Wed May 03, 2023 8:49 am

Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי