Elephant in the room border

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Elephant in the room border

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:19 pm

Why are sanctuary cities exempt from getting new immigrants?
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Elephant in the room border

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:23 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:19 pm
They’re not. Why is Ron DeSantis using Florida tax money to fly immigrants from Texas to Massachusetts? —Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:32 pm

"Washington

Martha's Vineyard has styled itself as a "sanctuary destination" that welcomes migrants — a position it took early in former President Donald Trump's administration."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs.or ... s-vineyard
Well, then

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:48 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:23 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
They’re not. Why is Ron DeSantis using Florida tax money to fly immigrants from Texas to Massachusetts? —Bob
Crudely explained: Because like a lot of folks they have their heads up their asses when it comes to the crisis at the border. So we’re shoving them up their ass so they will understand how bad the problem is. We’re seeing now how CNN is reporting how bad the problem is when 50 illegals show up in Martha’s Vineyard. Now maybe the folks in MA will understand the problem when 500,000 show up in El Paso where 1,000s are having to live in squalid conidiotikn in the downtown streets of El Paso.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:05 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:48 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Crudely explained: Because like a lot of folks they have their heads up their asses when it comes to the crisis at the border. So we’re shoving them up their ass so they will understand how bad the problem is. We’re seeing now how CNN is reporting how bad the problem is when 50 illegals show up in Martha’s Vineyard. Now maybe the folks in MA will understand the problem when 500,000 show up in El Paso where 1,000s are having to live in squalid conidiotikn in the downtown streets of El Paso.
Really? Because I'm reading that the residents welcomed them with charity and bitched about DeSantis making the arrivals' lives harder by not giving Massachusetts the courtesy of a phone call so they could marshal resources. I think you've again been misled by the sealed right-wing information ecosystem. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#6 Post by BackInTex » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:11 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:05 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Really? Because I'm reading that the residents welcomed them with charity and bitched about DeSantis making the arrivals' lives harder by not giving Massachusetts the courtesy of a phone call so they could marshal resources. I think you've again been misled by the sealed right-wing information ecosystem. --Bob
Really? The state of MA is struggling with only 50 surprise guests? They have to marshal resources? For 50? They’re fortunate they or their neighbor don’t get hurricanes but every 20 years or so.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:16 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Will they welcome them in the thousands, spending my tax dollars? And fentanyl, and diseases and disappearances? You'll notice that many of them are well dressed, well phoned, and lone males. Hmmm
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:28 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:11 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Really? The state of MA is struggling with only 50 surprise guests? They have to marshal resources? For 50? They’re fortunate they or their neighbor don’t get hurricanes but every 20 years or so.
Not what I wrote.

But you're avoiding the point. Why is DeSantis embezzling the money of Florida taxpayers to move immigrants from Texas to Massachusetts? If he wants to make a political point, he should use campaign funds, not steal from the public fisc. --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:42 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:28 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Not what I wrote.

But you're avoiding the point. Why is DeSantis embezzling the money of Florida taxpayers to move immigrants from Texas to Massachusetts? If he wants to make a political point, he should use campaign funds, not steal from the public fisc. --Bob
https://www.snopes.com/news/2022/09/15/ ... ard-texas/

Flights stopped in Florida en route.
Get whatever obfuscations you have straight.
Well, then

tlynn78

#10 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:43 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Not what I wrote.

That's hysterical!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:05 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:42 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Not what I wrote.

Did you not comprehend that Snopes article? It says DeSantis flew the immigrants from TEXAS to Massachusetts, not from Venezuela. So why if FLORIDA paying for it?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:08 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:42 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Not what I wrote.

Right. First he brought them FROM TEXAS to Florida (for about a second and a half), and then he had them continued on to Massachusetts. Why is he embezzling from the public fisc to bring immigrants from Texas to Florida? Or don't laws apply to Republican governors? --Bob

themanintheseersuckersuit

#13 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:08 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Because the Florida legislature approved the State budget authorizing it
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:13 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:08 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Because the Florida legislature approved the State budget authorizing it
Nope. They authorized money to move immigrants out of Florida. No one authorized money to bring immigrants from Texas to Florida. --Bob

BackInTex

#15 Post by BackInTex » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:36 pm

Bob, you weren’t concerned when Biden embezzled $260 billion last month for political campaigning, which as far as I know was not an approved amount by Congress.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#16 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:32 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:36 pm
Bob, you weren’t concerned when Biden embezzled $260 billion last month for political campaigning, which as far as I know was not an approved amount by Congress.
Funny, I don't recall any public money going to political campaigns
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#17 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:10 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
DeSantis and Abbott aren't very original:

The Forgotten Story Of The Reverse Freedom Rides Of 1962
October 7, 2019 wrote:After three days on a Greyhound bus, Lela Mae Williams was just an hour from her destination – Hyannis, Massachusetts – when she asked the bus driver to pull over. She needed to change into her finest clothes. She had been promised the Kennedys would be waiting for her. It was late on a Wednesday afternoon, nearly 60 years ago, when that Greyhound bus from Little Rock, Arkansas pulled into Hyannis. It slowed to a stop near the summer home of President John F. Kennedy and his family. When the doors opened, Lela Mae and her nine youngest children stepped onto the pavement. Reporters’ microphones pointed at her, their cameras trained on her family. The photographs in the next day’s newspaper show Lela Mae looking immaculate. In an elegant black dress, a triple string of pearls and a white hat, she was dressed up to start a new life. “She was going to have a job, and she was going to be able to support her family,” one of Lela Mae’s daughters, Betty Williams, remembered in a recent interview – her first on the topic. Before coming north to Massachusetts, Lela Mae had been promised a good job, good housing and a presidential welcome.

But President Kennedy was not there to meet her. Margaret Moseley was. Throughout the summer and fall of 1962, Moseley welcomed a steady stream of African Americans like Lela Mae to Cape Cod. What Moseley knew, and Lela Mae didn’t, was that there was no job and no permanent housing waiting for her in Hyannis.
Moseley knew Lela Mae and the others were pawns in a segregationist game. “It was one of the most inhuman things I have ever seen,” said Moseley, a longtime civil rights activist, in a televised interview a few years before her death.

Fuming over the Civil Rights Movement, southern segregationists had concocted a way to retaliate against northern liberals. In 1962, they tricked about 200 African Americans from the South into moving north. The idea was simple: When large numbers of African Americans showed up on northern doorsteps, northerners would not be able to accommodate them. They would not want them. The hypocrisy of northern liberals would be exposed. The Reverse Freedom Rides have largely disappeared from the country’s collective memory. The scheme almost never appears in history books and is little-known even in Hyannis, the primary target of the ploy. But today, with racial tensions re-inflamed, some hear echoes of that segregationist past in America’s present. And for the families that came north based on a lie, the journey has cast an enduring shadow on their lives.

In the summer of 1961, black and white activists boarded Greyhound buses and crisscrossed the South with the goal of integrating seating on interstate buses and in bus terminals. Southern segregationists, who were still furious over the school desegregation fights that dominated the 1950s, saw the Freedom Riders as no more than sanctimonious provocateurs. When the buses pulled into cities across the South, they were greeted by mobs armed with bats and firebombs.

In a television interview from the time, Ned Touchstone of Louisiana – a spokesperson for a local segregationist group – said the North was “sending down busloads of people here with the express purpose of violating our laws, fomenting confusion, trying to destroy 100 years of workable tradition and good relations between the races.” Touchstone and other segregationists thought there was no way the Freedom Riders or their fellow northern liberals actually cared about integrating interstate transit or advancing civil rights. Instead, they were convinced it was all a strategy to embarrass the South and capture black votes.

The segregationists decided to answer the Freedom Rides with the Reverse Freedom Rides. They would use the same weapon – the Greyhound bus – and send African Americans to northern cities. And then they’d see if the North liked it when blacks suddenly showed up in their backyard. “For many years, certain politicians, educators and certain religious leaders have used the white people of the South as a whipping boy, to put it mildly, to further their own ends and their political campaigns,” said Amis Guthridge, a small-time lawyer from Louisiana who helped spearhead the Reverse Freedom Rides. “We’re going to find out if people like Ted Kennedy … and the Kennedys, all of them, really do have an interest in the Negro people, really do have a love for the Negro.”

The segregationists tapped into a network of local groups called Citizens Councils. Despite the sanitized name, the Councils were “the Klu Klux Klan without the hoods and the masks,” said historian Clive Webb. Webb, a professor at the University of Sussex in England, specializes in studying racists. He said he’s the type of historian who wants to wash his hands after he’s been in the archives. Fifteen years ago, he published the first – and still the only – major academic article on the Reverse Freedom Riders.

According to Webb, the Citizens Councils attempted to cloak their racism in respectability. They held meetings in fancy downtown hotels and wore suits and ties. “They could be members of the police force,” said Webb. “They could be bankers, businessmen and the like.” These men went to great lengths to make an official campaign for something many saw as publicity stunt. There was an advertising effort, with flyers and radio commercials, to attract African Americans to accept the bus tickets. Their ideal recruit was a single mother with many children, or a man with a criminal past. “They targeted people who were either welfare recipients or prison inmates,” said Webb. “People who were placing a burden, as they saw it, on public resources.”

Next, they sought media attention. George Singelmann of Louisiana, who claimed credit for the original idea, had once worked in a newsroom. He made sure to alert the press. “Negro ‘Ride’ Plan Stirs New Furor” read a front-page headline in the New York Times. The Boston Herald added, “14 More Jobless Negroes Sent North.” As spring rolled into summer and then into fall, nearly daily articles chronicled the scheme as it unfolded. Relishing the coverage, Guthridge said in an interview, “If it takes two weeks, two months, two years, five or 10 years, we will continue it until the white people up there … tell those politicians we are tired of using the American Negro for a pawn just for their votes.”

But when talking to reporters, the segregationists were not always so transparent about their motives. They offered ever-changing justifications for the scheme. Guthridge claimed the idea was born of a Christian charity. “We began this program in a spirit of beneficence and humanitarianism,” he declared in one interview.
Touchstone said his primary motivation was “to bring about a more equitable distribution of the colored population.” He added that African Americans were begging for assistance. “Is it a crime to help people who come to you and say, ‘Boss man, I want to go to the North?’” he said.

Singelmann cited great American tradition as the rationale for the Reverse Freedom Rides. “Our forefathers put everything in their possession into covered wagons and went out across the plains. In those days, it was rugged Americanism. Now today, for some reason or other, it’s being frowned upon. I don’t understand it,” he said. Their actual motives – revealed when the TV cameras were off and a decade and a half had passed – were far more sinister. “There’s something in the black make-up that when they get to 11, 12 years of age their learning ability comes to a grinding halt,” Singelmann said in an oral history interview. “Lying, cheating, toting and stealing, that’s the only thing they’re good for.” It was this racist mindset that made Singelmann confident the northerners would reject those sent their way. He was relying on an assumption that northerners were just as racist as he was – but more opportunistic.

The Citizens Councils had envisioned sending thousands north, but in reality far fewer made the journey. A couple hundred African Americans – mostly from Arkansas and Louisiana – accepted the tickets to New York, New Hampshire, Indiana, Idaho, Minnesota, California and elsewhere. The largest number – exactly 96 – arrived at the makeshift bus stop closest to the Kennedys’ “summer White House” on Cape Cod. For Lela Mae and her children, Massachusetts was far, far away from the Williams’ home in rural Arkansas.
There's a lot more to the article, which is compelling reading. It was written in 2019, well before this latest stunt.Ironically, the article notes that those responsible for the Reverse Freedom Rides were not government officials. The racist motivation hasn't changed in 60 years, nor has much of the rhetoric, but this time you've got the highest elected officials in these states sending the busses and planes on their way.

Weyoun

#18 Post by Weyoun » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:48 am

If your interest was in trying to bring peoples attention to this plight, wow, what a miscalculation. Now these rich folks in Massachusetts are just gonna help these immigrants out and everyone laughing about this in Texas and Florida looks like a bunch of assholes (spoiler: they are a bunch of assholes).

What an unusually cruel thing to try to do, but it is especially disappointing, though not surprising, to see supposed Christians be the most gleeful over this stunt.

Consistent with the Trump mode of politics, this is basically just a giant troll attempt to impress people who get their news from one source. Does it actually do anything to advance a dialogue on this complicated issue? Of course not. But it makes assholes laugh, and that’s the important thing.

BackInTex

#19 Post by BackInTex » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:28 am

Weyoun wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:48 am
If your interest was in trying to bring peoples attention to this plight, wow, what a miscalculation. Now these rich folks in Massachusetts are just gonna help these immigrants out and everyone laughing about this in Texas and Florida looks like a bunch of assholes (spoiler: they are a bunch of assholes).

What an unusually cruel thing to try to do, but it is especially disappointing, though not surprising, to see supposed Christians be the most gleeful over this stunt.

Consistent with the Trump mode of politics, this is basically just a giant troll attempt to impress people who get their news from one source. Does it actually do anything to advance a dialogue on this complicated issue? Of course not. But it makes assholes laugh, and that’s the important thing.
Go back to your comfy hole. Or better yet, go to the Texas border. The problem is real but your media sources (the sources who pumped Russia collusion and the Steele Dossier, hid the Hunter Biden laptop story as Russian disinformation, and pumped the Inflation Reduction Act while reporting there's no real inflation) minimalize the problem. No one is gleeful about the situation, but we are glad your media is admitting too many illegal immigrants is a problems, even if that numbe is 50.

BTW, the population of Martha's Vineyard is about half that of Del Rio, TX with average annual income more than 3 times that of Del Rio. But 50 immigrants, once, in the Vinyard was big news while 49,563 crossed in Del Rio, in July and the folks in Del Rio are supposed to be the welcoming charitable ones.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#20 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:51 am

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:28 am
BTW, the population of Martha's Vineyard is about half that of Del Rio, TX with average annual income more than 3 times that of Del Rio. But 50 immigrants, once, in the Vinyard was big news while 49,563 crossed in Del Rio, in July and the folks in Del Rio are supposed to be the welcoming charitable ones.
The news isn't the number. It's the how and why of what was done. DeSantis and Abbott are playing from a 60-year-old racist playbook, using these immigrants as hopeless pawns.

And I don't think that any Democrat has seriously attempted to claim there is no inflation.

And how's the Durham investigation coming? Wasn't that supposed to expose all the dirty dealings involving the Steele Dossier? They've only had three years to find the truth.

BackInTex

#21 Post by BackInTex » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:56 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:51 am
BackInTex wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:28 am
The news isn't the number. It's the how and why of what was done. DeSantis and Abbott are playing from a 60-year-old racist playbook, using these immigrants as hopeless pawns.

And I don't think that any Democrat has seriously attempted to claim there is no inflation.

And how's the Durham investigation coming? Wasn't that supposed to expose all the dirty dealings involving the Steele Dossier? They've only had three years to find the truth.
You're saying you believe what was in the Steele Dossier? Wow.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Weyoun

#22 Post by Weyoun » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:26 am

Ah, having it both ways. You complain that the only reason we know about this is because CNN is talking about it, but the whole reason it was engineered by DeSantis was to create a media sensation.

Anyway, if the whole reason to do this was to drum up sympathy for the border situation, I’m not sure how pissing off the rest of the country was going to garner support. At $6 million a flight, it’s not a very efficient way for Florida to get in Massachusetts on its side, or should I say, the side of Texas, since these people weren’t even going to Florida.

tlynn78

#23 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:42 am

Weyoun wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:26 am
Ah, having it both ways. You complain that the only reason we know about this is because CNN is talking about it, but the whole reason it was engineered by DeSantis was to create a media sensation.

Anyway, if the whole reason to do this was to drum up sympathy for the border situation, I’m not sure how pissing off the rest of the country was going to garner support. At $6 million a flight, it’s not a very efficient way for Florida to get in Massachusetts on its side, or should I say, the side of Texas, since these people weren’t even going to Florida.
Yeah, they should just stay in Texas, right?
Why is it an "..unusually cruel thing.." when they're being so wonderfully welcomed by the residents of MV?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

silverscreenselect

#24 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:17 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:42 am
Why is it an "..unusually cruel thing.." when they're being so wonderfully welcomed by the residents of MV?
The casually clueless cruelty of statements like this is another reason why Democrats will keep control of Congress when all the historical indicators would point to major gains by the Republicans.

tlynn78

#25 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:35 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:17 am
tlynn78 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:42 am
The casually clueless cruelty of statements like this is another reason why Democrats will keep control of Congress when all the historical indicators would point to major gains by the Republicans.
Those are questions, not statements.