Deleting posts

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Deleting posts

#1 Post by BackInTex » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:53 am

I'm keeping this out of the Queen's RIP thread. Vandal asked for my permission to delete my post that contains the disrepectful/offensive post from Bob Juch.

I did not respond to the PM. I'm posting my response here.

I can delete my own posts. And I will if Bob Juch asks me to (in this thread to not further sully the Queen's thread) and he delete's his posts (2 I believe) with the offending material. He has yet to delete his original offending post, just said he'd wished he'd not posted it and it was too late, which it is not. He can delete his posts anytime.

I do have respect for the moderators and their unwillingness to delete posts without first asking permission. Thank you for your integrity.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

Re: Deleting posts

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:44 am

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:53 am
I'm keeping this out of the Queen's RIP thread. Vandal asked for my permission to delete my post that contains the disrepectful/offensive post from Bob Juch.

I can delete my own posts. And I will if Bob Juch asks me to (in this thread to not further sully the Queen's thread) and he delete's his posts (2 I believe) with the offending material. He has yet to delete his original offending post, just said he'd wished he'd not posted it and it was too late, which it is not. He can delete his posts anytime.

I do have respect for the moderators and their unwillingness to delete posts without first asking permission. Thank you for your integrity.
If I were to delete my posts, it would leave behind those that quoted mine. Either nuke the whole thing or leave it alone.

I'm dismayed that our long-standing policy of having no censorship is being violated for my post when the hateful posts by certain BBs are left alone.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:02 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:44 am
BackInTex wrote:

If I were to delete my posts, it would leave behind those that quoted mine. Either nuke the whole thing or leave it alone.

I'm dismayed that our long-standing policy of having no censorship is being violated for my post when the hateful posts by certain BBs are left alone.
I don't think anything is being violated. So far there has been no censorship. And with regards to hateful posts, I think it was the the "violation" of the somberness of the thread that upset folks. Had you posted your crap in it's own thread no one would be calling for its removal.

Added comment: I think most folks, including me, consider a RIP thread as a funeral or memorial service of sorts. Behave in those threads as you would a funeral for that person.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

a1mamacat

#4 Post by a1mamacat » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:13 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:44 am
BackInTex wrote:

So are you saying that you will only do the decent respectful thing if others do? Other “hateful posts “ are about politics, and directed at political views. This wonderful woman was as apolitical as they come, and there was no need to insert a cheap shot at Trump. There are so many more posts that you could have used. I am disappointed that you chose to sully your own post honouring her.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

Vandal
Director of Promos

#5 Post by Vandal » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:39 am

Here is my solution:

BobJ, deletes or edits all of his posts in the thread first, then everyone who responded follows suit and deletes/edits their post(s).

As a moderator, I have a limited toolkit to work with. Our admins (currently in absentia) can probably spin off a duplicate thread with everything cleaned up, but I can’t.

Let’s get this done and move on. Thanks.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:16 am

Vandal wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:39 am
Here is my solution:

BobJ, deletes all of his posts in the thread first, then everyone who responded follows suit and deletes their post(s).

As a moderator, I have a limited toolkit to work with. Our admins (currently in absentia) can probably spin off a duplicate thread with everything cleaned up, but I can’t.

That's what I will do, but if no one else does, it's going to look like a mess.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

a1mamacat

#7 Post by a1mamacat » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:21 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:16 am
Vandal wrote:
Here is my solution:

BobJ, deletes all of his posts in the thread first, then everyone who responded follows suit and deletes their post(s).

Thank you Bob. 🙂

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:23 am

a1mamacat wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:21 am
Bob Juch wrote:
Vandal wrote:
Here is my solution:

Thank you Bob. 🙂
I can't delete my posts, but edited them to say just <Deleted>. TGirl and BiT both quoted my original post.

a1mamacat

#9 Post by a1mamacat » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:36 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:23 am
a1mamacat wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

Thank you Bob. 🙂
I can't delete my posts, but edited them to say just <Deleted>. TGirl and BiT both quoted my original post.
Editing works 🙂

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:24 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

Thank you Bob. 🙂
Would you like me to delete my quote of your post?
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:33 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:24 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:
Thank you Bob. 🙂
Would you like me to delete my quote of your post?
I would like that, and Vandal and I can then clean up the thread by deleting any posts that the author has indicated should be deleted. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Vandal
Director of Promos

#12 Post by Vandal » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:00 pm

I have cleaned up the thread except for BiT’s post, since he said he would do it himself.

If preferred, I can completely remove the posts that were edited.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#13 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:06 pm

Vandal wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:00 pm
I have cleaned up the thread except for BiT’s post, since he said he would do it himself.

If preferred, I can completely remove the posts that were edited.
That would be my preference, once BiT has acted. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#14 Post by BackInTex » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:05 pm

BackInTex wrote:
And I will if Bob Juch asks me to …..
I’m still waiting.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#15 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:10 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:05 pm
BackInTex wrote:
I’m still waiting.
This pettiness isn't a good look for you. Please authorize us to proceed. --Bob

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#16 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:42 pm

Vandal wrote:
Here is my solution:

BobJ, deletes or edits all of his posts in the thread first, then everyone who responded follows suit and deletes/edits their post(s).

I dunno.... there's something about a thread where (almost) every post says "(Deleted)" that pushes my joy buzzer.

Now if only we could have more topics that say (Deleted), I might be able to lurk freely again without feeling like I'm forced to listen to people's BS despite my intent to not read that trash...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

BackInTex

#17 Post by BackInTex » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:57 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:10 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:05 pm
BackInTex wrote:
I’m still waiting.
This pettiness isn't a good look for you. Please authorize us to proceed. --Bob
It wasn’t my thread. It wasn’t me who made the mess. It’s not me who looks like the prick. You can say it’s petty but it’s principle.

I’m not the one who posted a blatant lie, then doubled down on it, then once called out did not apologize. If he doesn’t want his comment to remain fo all to see, all he has to do is ask. Until then I’ll assume he wants it there.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

ne1410s

#18 Post by ne1410s » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:10 pm

For Christ's sake measure your dicks and go on.
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#19 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:14 pm

ne1410s wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:10 pm
For Christ's sakes post something timely.
Well, then

BackInTex

#20 Post by BackInTex » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:50 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:14 pm
ne1410s wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:10 pm
For Christ's sakes post something timely.
He’s confusing this site with others he frequents.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#21 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:50 pm

I have to say, it never ceases to amaze me how a certain contingent always seems eager to jump in and call for kumbaya when one side screws up egregiously enough, but resume radio silence regarding things like Juch and the good reverend's avatars. Like, where's the bar?

Not THAT bar, Beebs.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Vandal
Director of Promos

#22 Post by Vandal » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:50 pm

This entire thread speaks for itself.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Weyoun

#23 Post by Weyoun » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:33 am

This thread is poop

tlynn78

#24 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:35 am

Vandal wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:50 pm
This entire thread speaks for itself.
Sure does.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

franktangredi

#25 Post by franktangredi » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:02 pm

No one who has been involved in creating the atmosphere that led to this debacle can claim clean hands. There are people on both sides of the political spectrum who seem to get some kind of obscene pleasure out of baiting one another. If this were a romcom, they'd end up in bed together.

"He started it" doesn't cut any ice, either on the playground or here.