DHS's missing texts

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

DHS's missing texts

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:35 pm

The Washington Post wrote:Text messages for President Donald Trump’s acting homeland security secretary Chad Wolf and acting deputy secretary Ken Cuccinelli are missing for a key period leading up to the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol, according to four people briefed on the matter and internal emails.

<snip>

“It is extremely troubling that the issue of deleted text messages related to the January 6 attack on the Capitol is not limited to the Secret Service, but also includes Chad Wolf and Ken Cuccinelli, who were running DHS at the time,” House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Bennie G. Thompson (D-Miss.) said in a statement.

“It appears the DHS Inspector General has known about these deleted texts for months but failed to notify Congress,” Thompson said. “If the Inspector General had informed Congress, we may have been able to get better records from Senior administration officials regarding one of the most tragic days in our democracy’s history.”
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: DHS's missing texts

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:44 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:35 pm
The Washington Post wrote:Text messages for President Donald Trump’s acting homeland security secretary Chad Wolf and acting deputy secretary Ken Cuccinelli are missing for a key period leading up to the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol, according to four people briefed on the matter and internal emails.

<snip>

“It is extremely troubling that the issue of deleted text messages related to the January 6 attack on the Capitol is not limited to the Secret Service, but also includes Chad Wolf and Ken Cuccinelli, who were running DHS at the time,” House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Bennie G. Thompson (D-Miss.) said in a statement.

“It appears the DHS Inspector General has known about these deleted texts for months but failed to notify Congress,” Thompson said. “If the Inspector General had informed Congress, we may have been able to get better records from Senior administration officials regarding one of the most tragic days in our democracy’s history.”
Guess who appointed the DHS Inspector General to his current position. The combination of incompetence and malfeasance probably gives you a pretty good clue. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:07 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:44 pm
Bob Juch wrote:

<snip>

Guess who appointed the DHS Inspector General to his current position. The combination of incompetence and malfeasance probably gives you a pretty good clue. --Bob
The DHS Inspector General also ordered the Secret Service Inspector General to stop investigating their lost texts.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tlynn78

#4 Post by tlynn78 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:37 am

Oh, now y'all care about missing texts? That's cute.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:00 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:37 am
I'm sure there were at least 30,000.
Well, then

BackInTex

#6 Post by BackInTex » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:24 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:44 pm
Bob Juch wrote:

<snip>

Hillary Clinton? She's the originator of the strategy. And to date, the best at it.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:59 pm

Jan. 6 text messages wiped from phones of key Trump Pentagon officials

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/02/politics ... index.html

(CNN)The Defense Department wiped the phones of top departing DOD and Army officials at the end of the Trump administration, deleting any texts from key witnesses to events surrounding the January 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol, according to court filings.

The acknowledgment that the phones from the Pentagon officials had been wiped was first revealed in a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit American Oversight brought against the Defense Department and the Army. The watchdog group is seeking January 6 records from former acting Secretary of Defense Chris Miller, former chief of staff Kash Patel, and former Secretary of the Army Ryan McCarthy, among other prominent Pentagon officials -- having filed initial FOIA requests just a few days after the Capitol attack.

Miller, Patel and McCarthy have all been viewed as crucial witnesses for understanding government's response to the January 6 Capitol assault and former President Donald Trump's reaction to the breach. All three were involved in the Defense Department's response to sending National Guard troops to the US Capitol as the riot was unfolding. There is no suggestion that the officials themselves erased the records.

The government's assertion in the filings that the officials' text messages from that day were not preserved is the latest blow to the efforts to bring transparency to the events of January 6. It comes as the Department of Homeland Security is also under fire for the apparent loss of messages from the Secret Service that day.

Miller declined to comment. Patel and McCarthy did not immediately respond to requests for comment. The US Army Public Affairs media relations chief, Col. Cathy Wilkinson, said in a statement that, "It is our policy not to comment on ongoing litigation."

Paul Ney, former general counsel for the Department of Defense, told CNN that Tuesday's revelation is the "first I've heard about DoD litigation in which there is any issue with the cell phone I turned in when I left DoD on January 20, 2021.

"I did not wipe the phone before I turned it in (or ever that I can recall)," Ney continued. "When I turned the phone in, I did not know what was going to be done with that device nor do I know what actually was done with that device after I turned it in. If DoD represented in litigation that the device was wiped after I left DoD on Inauguration Day, I believe that is very likely what happened and when it happened, but I do not know why."

American Oversight is now calling for a "cross-agency investigation" by the Justice Department to investigate destruction of the materials.

"It's just astounding to believe that the agency did not understand the importance of preserving its records -- particularly [with regards] to the top officials that might have captured: what they were doing, when they were doing it, why they were doing, it on that day," Heather Sawyer, American Oversight's executive director, told CNN.

Sawyer said that her organization learned the records were not preserved from government attorneys earlier this year, and that acknowledgment was then memorialized in a joint status report filed with the court in March.

MORE

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:28 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:37 am
No. They care about missing Republican texts. Don't you get it?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:40 am

I get a server error when quoting.

Who else had missing texts?

We care about the missing texts from the DHS, SS, and DOD because there may have been a conspiracy for a coup.

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:44 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:40 am

We care about the missing texts from the DHS, SS, and DOD because there may have been a conspiracy for a coup.
But you didn't care aout 1,000s of missing emails that were part of a conspiracy to rig an election. :roll:
~~ Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#11 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:03 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:40 am
I get a server error when quoting.

Who else had missing texts?

They must have been on the hard drives that Hillary took a hammer to.
Along with all the videos of the ballot drop boxes.

So now it's been moved to a 'coup'? Amazing what can be done when you control the news media.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton