If you won megamillions

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

If you won megamillions

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:34 pm

What would you buy/do/whatever first?
I would make sure kids and immediate fam set for life. Then determine which charities, etc.
Immediate selfish thing would be to have driver available whenever cause I hate driving.
Well, then

BackInTex

Re: If you won megamillions

#2 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:07 pm

Aside from setting up the family (to include siblings, nephews, neices, etc.) I think I would:

Buy land, build an estate
Plan trips to the places in the US I want to see but haven't
Surprise "anonymously" several churches in need with fund to payoff mortgages

Then the hard stuff. With that kind of money I could put money where my mouth is. Set up some social program initiative, unfunded by the government so there are no rules but mine to abide by, to get willing folks out of the poverty cycle. Maybe a sister program dealing with the incarcerated.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

themanintheseersuckersuit

#3 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:11 pm

I would give an interview saying I was going to buy a pirate ship and live the pirate life. I may or may not have said something like that for on an audition questionnaire.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#4 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:15 pm

No Q: What does the Megamillion Jackpot have in common with a strip club?

A: Somebody somewhere sometime is gonna get lucky, it’s just not gonna be you.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:34 pm

I'd invest ten million in a family trust. Then I'd donate the maximum allowed to every Democrat running for office. I'd save it for the 2024 elections if there were any left over.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:45 pm

I'd retire.

Oh, I'm already retired.

Actually, I'd get a good long laugh out of everyone who is going to complain that the drawing was fixed because a former employee of the Lottery won a billion dollar jackpot.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

tlynn78

#7 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:49 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:11 pm
I would give an interview saying I was going to buy a pirate ship and live the pirate life. I may or may not have said something like that for on an audition questionnaire.
Those bahstids
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

tlynn78

#8 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:37 am

Ah, the dream. I would not retire immediately. I'd take care of family, etc. I'd take care of my employees, and invest in a couple of the top ones so I'd be assured of someone capable taking over when I do retire. I'd donate to causes important to me: low-income housing with dignity, fecking cancer research and invest in my community. And I'd spend two weeks swinging in a hammock on a beautiful beach somewhere alone.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:09 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:37 am
Ah, the dream. I would not retire immediately. I'd take care of family, etc. I'd take care of my employees, and invest in a couple of the top ones so I'd be assured of someone capable taking over when I do retire. I'd donate to causes important to me: low-income housing with dignity, fecking cancer research and invest in my community. And I'd spend two weeks swinging in a hammock on a beautiful beach somewhere alone.
You don't have to be alone. I'll offer up my cabana boy services and will bring you Mai Tais with the little umbrellas. I'll just need you to provide the airfare, place to stay, and 4 hours a day to let me do my own hamocking. :)
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#10 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:29 am

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:09 am
tlynn78 wrote:
You don't have to be alone. I'll offer up my cabana boy services and will bring you Mai Tais with the little umbrellas. I'll just need you to provide the airfare, place to stay, and 4 hours a day to let me do my own hamocking. :)
LOL! By 'alone' I mean no family. I've had my fill of late. There will undoubtedly be a need for at least one cabana boy to keep me and my possible companions (Beebs) in relaxation adequately hydrated - and 4 hours a day is not nearly enough hammock time, so you may need to bring along your own cabana person, as well. It's gonna start getting crowded - we're gonna need a bigger beach...

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#11 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:01 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:29 am
BackInTex wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
LOL! By 'alone' I mean no family. I've had my fill of late. There will undoubtedly be a need for at least one cabana boy to keep me and my possible companions (Beebs) in relaxation adequately hydrated - and 4 hours a day is not nearly enough hammock time, so you may need to bring along your own cabana person, as well. It's gonna start getting crowded - we're gonna need a bigger beach...
I wanna cabana floating over the water.
Well, then

Spock

#12 Post by Spock » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:51 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
I volunteer to be your personal money manager at a nominal fee, You and Beebs just enjoy your beach time with no worries. It has been a really good week week for Spock's Bored Hedge Fund-always looking for new sucke-er I mean investors.

It is kind of funny. I have been on the road a lot over the last week and I have seen a lot more people buying a Mega Millions ticket in front of me than would normally be the case.

Picked up a few counties in Nebraska that I didn't have and even one (I think) in Montana that I didn't have before.

With Tgirl's winni-er, I mean my winnings if I won-I would order a brand new John Deere combine through their Gold Key program where you get to drive your new combine off the assembly line as it is finished.

tlynn78

#13 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:59 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:01 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

I wanna cabana floating over the water.
Ohh, yeahhh

tlynn78

#14 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:00 pm

Spock wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:51 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

I volunteer to be your personal money manager at a nominal fee, You and Beebs just enjoy your beach time with no worries. It has been a really good week week for Spock's Bored Hedge Fund-always looking for new sucke-er I mean investors.

It is kind of funny. I have been on the road a lot over the last week and I have seen a lot more people buying a Mega Millions ticket in front of me than would normally be the case.

Picked up a few counties in Nebraska that I didn't have and even one (I think) in Montana that I didn't have before.

With Tgirl's winni-er, I mean my winnings if I won-I would order a brand new John Deere combine through their Gold Key program where you get to drive your new combine off the assembly line as it is finished.
That actually sounds pretty cool

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:20 pm

Hey, SSS. Were you privy to any statistics winning wise while you were there?
Well, then

Spock

#16 Post by Spock » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:43 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:00 pm
Spock wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:51 pm
tlynn78 wrote:

That actually sounds pretty cool
Doesn't it though?

In 2019, we toured the JD combine factory and I bought a nice black JD jacket that said "John Deere Harvester Works" on it. I must have looked good in it as I got lots of compliments from the ladies. However, I have since lost it-we think I forgot it while cleaning out my wrecked pickup after the gravel truck hit me.

I did finagle a similar jacket from our local dealer a few weeks ago, but it is not the same

mellytu74

#17 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:33 pm

We were doing the daydreaming the other day.

1) Take care of family and friends. Tuition for college or trade school. Needed home repairs. Set up a foundation for future needs.

2) Set up two foundations:

* One for continuous giving - Mostly things we already support on some level.

Philabundance. Shriner's Hospital (a dear friend from grade school's grandson gets his legs from there - he plays sled hockey). Local children's hospitals. Project HOME. Poverello House in Fresno. Philadelphia Veterans Multi-Service Center. Coaches vs. Cancer. A couple of older Catholic parishes that mean a lot to us. Holiday stories - toy drives and such.

* One for individual situations - The stories you see on the news. A bunch of kids having a raffle to raise money to go to the Pop Warner playoffs. A local Little League had its equipment stolen. etc. Some community service projects.

3) Travel. As much as we can while we can.
Last edited by mellytu74 on Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

Spock

#18 Post by Spock » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:35 pm

After the combine-I would like to build a really nice house.

We have always only had one bathroom for 5 people-so more bathrooms would be nice.

Our kitchen has very limited counter space so we would start with a nice kitchen and work out from there.

For me-I would like a huge library and a map room and a trophy room-probably modeled after some sort of English gentlemen's club lounge.

I bet very few lottery winners have a combine and a map room in combination as high as I do-LOL.

Helping relatives is hard-because you don't want to enable alcoholism (Mrs Spock's SIL) but we would want to help the kids in that situation-especially the one who has broken away.

Oddly enough, Mrs Spock's other brother's long-term girlfriend's father won a very large (but not mega) amount at a lottery.

We have never heard exactly how much (not really our business) but while it seemed to be life-changing for her parents-I don't think it was enough for generational wealth.

Bob Juch

#19 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:29 pm

Spock wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:35 pm
After the combine-I would like to build a really nice house.

We have always only had one bathroom for 5 people-so more bathrooms would be nice.
No wonder you're grumpy!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#20 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:07 am

Spock wrote:
But keep the half moon on the door of the new bathrooms. It adds a certain touch to the room.

Spock

#21 Post by Spock » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:03 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:07 am
Spock wrote:
But keep the half moon on the door of the new bathrooms. It adds a certain touch to the room.
I will give you guys some TMI-but I am very very fussy on my bathroom situation.
Our one bathroom is huge-lots of room for what former Idaho Senator Larry Craig (I think) called a wide stance when he was caught trolling in an airport bathroom (LOL)

I simply don't use public restrooms for the big stuff. When traveling I consider our hotel room to be our "Home" bathroom. In an emergency, I have found that public buildings like courthouses are usually very clean.

I always laugh when I see women sitting on the floor somewhere and think-"God, if they only saw how "wet" the area near men's urinals are, they might not be sitting on the floor."-LOL

Mrs Spock has been mentioning buying some sort of RV or camper-No way!!!!! Those bathrooms are way too small for me to use comfortably.

Too gain more sympathy for the one bathroom deal-that room also includes our bathtub and bathroom sink.

Now (since 2017) it also includes our main shower-we still have another shower in the basement.

To sum up-I am very OCD about bathrooms.

silverscreenselect

#22 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:21 am

Spock wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:03 am
When traveling I consider our hotel room to be our "Home" bathroom.
I'd hate to be the maid who cleans your hotel room.

Spock

#23 Post by Spock » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:27 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:21 am
Spock wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:03 am
When traveling I consider our hotel room to be our "Home" bathroom.
I'd hate to be the maid who cleans your hotel room.
My definition of hell would be forced to poop forever in a porta-potty in a concert environment where lots of people are drunk.

silverscreenselect

#24 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:08 pm

Back to the drawing board.

67 - 45 - 57 - 36 - 13
Mega Ball: 14

Two notes. John Crow, the announcer for Mega Millions works for the Georgia Lottery. The drawing is held at WSB Channel 2 studio in downtown Atlanta, where the daily Georgia Lottery drawings are held. John's a friend of mine and we worked together on some of his contracts before I retired. He's also appeared in numerous movies and TV shows filmed in Georgia, often playing TV reporters.

Second, we hired a company out of Ohio to hose the Mega Millions website before I left. One of the concerns we had was whether the site could handle peak traffic loads when there's a big jackpot. The company passed the stress tests we applied. The site crashed tonight.

MarkBarrett

#25 Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:32 pm

One number - lucky #13, my old hockey uniform number

Any other draw those numbers probably would not be hit