We want the Cup!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

We want the Cup!

#1 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:20 pm

I remember "watching" the 2001 Stanley Cup final with y'all. We didn't subscribe to the premium television channel that carried hockey, but we could listen on the radio. I listened and posted the scores. How times change -- TNT carried our series this year, and "The 2022 Stanley Cup Final will air exclusively on ABC (simulcast on ESPN+), marking the first time that the full event has aired on U.S. broadcast television."

EDMONTON, Alberta -- The Colorado Avalanche swept Edmonton from the Western Conference finals in Game 4 on Monday, topping the Oilers 6-5 in overtime to win the best-of-seven series 4-0.

Colorado advances now to the Stanley Cup Final, where it will face the winner of the Eastern Conference finals between the Tampa Bay Lightning and the New York Rangers. New York leads that series 2-1. It'll be the Avalanche's first appearance in the final round since 2001.

Edmonton had its opportunities to stay alive in Game 4, squandering two multigoal leads. The Oilers were ahead 4-2 midway through the third period, only to allow three straight to the attacking Avalanche. Zack Kassian tied the game 5-5 late in regulation to force overtime, where Artturi Lehkonen ended Edmonton's hopes of an eventual Cup Final bid with the game-winning goal.

. . .

The Avalanche have played for the Cup twice in their franchise history, winning both series. In 1996, they defeated the Florida Panthers. In 2001, they outlasted the New Jersey Devils.

From ESPN Sports
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: We want the Cup!

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:22 pm

DENVER — The Colorado Avalanche sent the crowd at Ball Arena into a frenzy, winning Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final 4-3 in overtime.

The Avalanche now lead the National Hockey League's championship series 1-0.

The Avalanche and Lightning next play Saturday, June 18, in Denver.

And Casa Sprots!

The doggies don't like hockey any more than they like football . . . too noisy.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#3 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:58 pm

Somebody sells a Jeopardy! T-shirt that says, "Don't call me at 6:00!" Or 6:30, or whatever.

I need the "Don't call me at 6:00!" for tonight. :D

Just kidding. You may call me. Just please don't send any lightning bolts to knock out the local television station . . .

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#4 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:43 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:58 pm
. . . Just please don't send any lightning bolts to knock out the local television station . . .
Why oh why did I say that? That'll teach me!

At 6:30, a lightning bolt struck within a mile of us -- bzztCRASH! The lights went off for about 10 seconds, the television went off for about a minute, and the internet went off for about five minutes.

If the bolt had struck 20 seconds later, we would have missed our second goal and had to wait for the highlights.

GO AVS!!!

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#5 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:45 pm

Another goal! 3-0 with about six minutes left in the first period!

GO AVS!!

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#6 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:10 pm

Final score, 7-0.

YAY AVALANCHE!

Hope we didn't use up all our goals. :shock:

Monday at 6. Go Avs!

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#7 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:51 pm

Ugh. 6 to 2 ugly loss, according to SteelersFan. I guess we made them mad Saturday. I didn't see the game, it was our Longest Day bridge tournament, all proceeds to the Alzheimer's Association. We'll be back Wednesday!

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#8 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:15 pm

And back we were! Wow, what a game! Another thrilling overtime victory where we just kept going at the goal and going and going . . .

What a game!

I hope we wrap it up tomorrow night . . . This is nerve wracking!

GO AVS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:22 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:15 pm
And back we were! Wow, what a game! Another thrilling overtime victory where we just kept going at the goal and going and going . . .

What a game!

Any thoughts about the controversy regarding six men on the ice when that goal was scored?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#10 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:45 am

earendel wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:22 am
SportsFan68 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:15 pm

What a game!

Any thoughts about the controversy regarding six men on the ice when that goal was scored?
Sure.

TAMPA, Fla. — If it was an illegal line change, it wasn’t the first one a team has gotten away with in the Stanley Cup playoffs. In fact, many will remember that the Tampa Bay Lightning themselves got away with one last year.
. . .
Two former NHL referees contacted by The Athletic who examined the video said that in their opinion this play wasn’t too many men. One former linesman said that while it’s close, loose line changes happen all the time and very few officials would have blown a play like this dead in overtime. He also noted that the Lightning had seven players on the ice, including two players at the bench, like MacKinnon, with the players who came on for them also engaged in the play.

I thought this was a good, measured response by Michael Russo of The Athletic. Here's the URL for the entire article:
https://theathletic.com/3379510/2022/06 ... -many-men/

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:58 am

The Cup will have to wait a few more days.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#12 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:32 am

Yes, a couple days. I can't really say the Avs were off their game, considering it was 3-2 against the defending champions. We just didn't punch that last goal in to force overtime. I also can't really say my cheering has any effect on the outcome, but I was definitely off my game.

GO AVS!

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#13 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:03 pm

And we got it!

Congrats, Avs! Great fun watching and cheering!

YAY AVS!!!!!!!!!!

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#14 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:50 am

I planned to keep my Avalanche avatar another year, but my hopes are starting to dim. I thought we looked flat last night.

GO AVALANCHE!

Vandal
Director of Promos

#15 Post by Vandal » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:06 pm

The Cup goes through the Gahden this year.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Vandal
Director of Promos

#16 Post by Vandal » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:45 pm

Vandal wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:06 pm
The Cup goes through the Gahden this year.
So much for that prediction!
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#17 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue May 02, 2023 3:48 pm

Well, darn. I'm off to find a Rockies avatar, see if I can jinx them . . .