Texas Republican Party platform planks

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Texas Republican Party platform planks

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:38 pm

Delegates to a convention of the Texas Republican Party approved these platform planks:

Rejecting “the certified results of the 2020 Presidential election, and [holding] that acting President Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. was not legitimately elected by the people of the United States.”

Requiring students “to learn about the dignity of the preborn human,” including that life begins at fertilization

Treating homosexuality as “an abnormal lifestyle choice”

Locking the number of Supreme Court justices at 9

Getting rid of the constitutional power to levy income taxes

Abolishing the Federal Reserve

Rejecting the Equal Rights Amendment

Returning Christianity to schools and government

Ending all gun safety measures

Abolishing the Department of Education

Arming teachers

Requiring colleges to teach “free-market liberty principles”

Defending capital punishment

Dictating the ways in which the events at the Alamo are remembered

Protecting Confederate monuments

Ending gay marriage

Withdrawing from the United Nations and the World Health Organization

Calling for a vote “for the people of Texas to determine whether or not the State of Texas should reassert its status as an independent nation.”
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: Texas Republican Party platform planks

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:24 pm

Oh please.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:28 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:24 pm
Oh please.
That's what I said when I read the list.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

#4 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:03 pm

Delegates to a convention of the Texas Republican Party approved these platform planks:
I am referencing the ACTUAL document. Not some leftist 'expert's' interpretation of it that you probably got a hold of. (I have, however, included some of my own interpretations. After all, it is my post.)
https://texasgop.org/wp-content/uploads ... 6-2022.pdf
Rejecting “the certified results of the 2020 Presidential election, and [holding] that acting President Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. was not legitimately elected by the people of the United States.”
This was a resolution. As 'binding' as any congressional resolution. And I agree with it. In it's entirety:

2020 Election: We believe that the 2020 election violated Article 1 and 2 of the US Constitution, that
various secretaries of state illegally circumvented their state legislatures in conducting their elections in
multiple ways, including by allowing ballots to be received after November 3, 2020.We believe that
substantial election fraud in key metropolitan areas significantly affected the results in five key states in
favor of Joseph Robinette Biden Jr.
We reject the certified results of the 2020 Presidential election, and we hold that acting President Joseph
Robinette Biden Jr. was not legitimately elected by the people of the United States. We strongly urge all
Republicans to work to ensure election integrity and to show up to vote in November of 2022, bring your
friends and family, volunteer for your local Republicans, and overwhelm any possible fraud.
Treating homosexuality as “an abnormal lifestyle choice”
I totally disagree only with the first sentence of section 143. It should be stricken.

143. Homosexuality: Homosexuality is an abnormal lifestyle choice. We believe there should be no
granting of special legal entitlements or creation of special status for homosexual behavior, regardless of
state of origin, and we oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out
of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values. No one should be granted special legal status based on
their LGBTQ+ identification.

Locking the number of Supreme Court justices at 9
YAY

Getting rid of the constitutional power to levy income taxes
YAY
Abolishing the Federal Reserve
I don't know, but willing to listen to arguments.
Rejecting the Equal Rights Amendment
It has never been ratified and likely never will be. Actual text:
We call upon the 88th 176 Texas Legislature to adopt a resolution clarifying
that the 1972 ratification by the 62nd 177 Texas Legislature of the proposed Equal Rights Amendment to the
178 United States Constitution was valid only through March 22, 1979

Returning Christianity to schools and government
And why on earth do you think that is in any way a bad idea? Only to secular activists is it bad. I believe atheism is a religion to those who practice it, and I oppose their religion being imposed upon me. Actual text:

As America is “one nation under God,” founded on
Judeo-Christian principles, we affirm the constitutional right of all individuals to worship as they choose.
We strongly believe in Religious Freedom and Freedom of Speech. Therefore, we demand:
a. The repeal of the Johnson Amendment, which assaults the free speech of pastors and
religious organizations.
b. Protection of the First Amendment rights of any citizen to practice their religion and exercise
their right to free speech in the public square, as well as in religious organization affiliations.
c. That Texas judges and legislators uphold and defend our God-given unalienable rights of
religious liberty and freedom of speech, and we oppose any effort to intimidate and prevent
Christians and other people of faith from exercising these rights which the civil government
is required, by the First Amendment, to protect.
d. Acknowledgement that the Church is a God-ordained institution with a sphere of authority
separate from that of civil government, and thus the Church is not to be regulated,
controlled, or taxed by any level of civil government. Nor shall services or other church
functions ever again be shut down or suspended by over-reaching civil authorities under
any pretext whatever.

Ending all gun safety measures
This is a total fabrication. Though I might disagree with their call to abolish the 1934 and 1968 federal laws, they in no way call to 'end all gun safety measures', and it is typical demagoguery to make that statement.
Abolishing the Department of Education
I totally agree with:
Since education is not an enumerated power of the federal
government, we believe the Department of Education should be abolished, and the transfer of any of its
functions to any other federal agency should be prohibited.

Arming teachers
Completely support this statement:
We support passage of a statute, which permits local law enforcement to provide
handgun safety and proficiency training for all educators, and allows LTC (License to Carry) holders to
carry a concealed firearm on the premises of Pre-K-12 schools for security and protection purposes.

Requiring colleges to teach “free-market liberty principles”
Why the hell not? Most public universities currently have comprehensive curriculums that teach the opposite.

Public universities should be required to create a comprehensive program of instruction in
Western Civilization, American Institutions, and free-market liberty principles, with centers
and funding dedicated to that task.

Defending capital punishment
That is their side of the issue.
Dictating the ways in which the events at the Alamo are remembered
I don't know what is currently happening in Texas on this issue, but it looks to me like they are protecting themselves from some 'woke' crusade.

Alamo: The Alamo is a historical event to Texas and as such:
a. Should be remembered and not “reimagined.”
b. Texas’s authority regarding the Alamo shall not be infringed upon by any organization or
authority, including but not limited to local governments, the federal government, the United
Nations, or UNESCO.
c. Decision-making authority for the Alamo must never be removed from Texas.
d. The custodians of the Alamo must be required to
i. Affirm and emphasize the intrinsic significance of the 1836 battle in telling the story of
the Alamo.
ii. Maintain transparency in finances and operations of the Alamo.
e. Specific protection shall be afforded the site, including all land and existing monuments,
including the Cenotaph, which SHALL NOT be moved from its present site.
f. We oppose any official action from a state-funded institution of higher education that
Again, protecting the state from the woke mob.
Ending gay marriage
While the platform states they oppose homosexual marriage, it does not state anywhere in the document they will 'end' gay marriage.
Withdrawing from the United Nations and the World Health Organization
I am 100% in agreement.
Calling for a vote “for the people of Texas to determine whether or not the State of Texas should reassert its status as an independent nation.”
I hope they don't. We need Texas.

I am sure this document, and the way it has been edited to arouse your hostility, has brought you to the brink of hysteria, BJ. But aside from a few things I would strike, if I had any say, I do not find it very controversial.
I am pretty confident I would see some real outrageous stuff in the California Democrat platform.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:25 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:03 pm
Again, protecting the state from the woke mob.
I knew it wouldn't take long for the man who was patting himself on the back two days ago for helping to end slavery to revert to his old self and glorify it once again.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Ritterskoop

#6 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:12 am

Texit would be a total hoot for all.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#7 Post by Vandal » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:30 am

Cowboys would no longer be America’s team. I’m all for it.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:12 am

Texas and A&M would get kicked outta the SEC. Hmmm. What to do. What to do.
Well, then

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:35 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:12 am
I remember reading a book entitled "If the South Had Won the Civil War" by MacKinley Kantor, who was a noted Civil War scholar and Pulitzer Prize winning novelist. He set out a scenario that changed a couple of events, Grant getting killed early in the war and Lee making some different decisions that won the Battle of Gettysburg, and turned it into a scenario that allowed the Confederacy to remain an independent country. (The book is considered the father of most modern alternate history novels, including Harry Turtletaub's books.)

What I remember about the book was that soon after the Civil War, Texas seceded from the Confederacy and became its own separate country.

BTW, when I was in high school Kantor lived in Sarasota (his name was even listed in the phone book), as did John D. MacDonald. That's two very talented authors in a fairly small town.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:42 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:35 am
Beebs52 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:12 am
I remember reading a book entitled "If the South Had Won the Civil War" by MacKinley Kantor, who was a noted Civil War scholar and Pulitzer Prize winning novelist. He set out a scenario that changed a couple of events, Grant getting killed early in the war and Lee making some different decisions that won the Battle of Gettysburg, and turned it into a scenario that allowed the Confederacy to remain an independent country. (The book is considered the father of most modern alternate history novels, including Harry Turtletaub's books.)

What I remember about the book was that soon after the Civil War, Texas seceded from the Confederacy and became its own separate country.

BTW, when I was in high school Kantor lived in Sarasota (his name was even listed in the phone book), as did John D. MacDonald. That's two very talented authors in a fairly small town.
Are you by any chance referring to Harry Turtledove? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:51 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:42 am
Mea Culpa. I thought of Jon Turtletaub, the director. By the way, I checked and Harry Turtledove sometimes writes under the name of H.N. Turtletaub.

Spock

#12 Post by Spock » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:11 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:51 am
Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:42 am
Mea Culpa. I thought of Jon Turtletaub, the director. By the way, I checked and Harry Turtledove sometimes writes under the name of H.N. Turtletaub.
Actually, SSS was right the first time-I read the same book and it was Kantor.

<<<" Later writers of such books, such as Harry Turtledove, explicitly stated Kantor's influence on their own work."<<<<

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_the_So ... _Civil_War

It has been many years-but I remember the Texas secession and Kantor figured that slavery would have been outlawed in the south in not that long a time.

>>>"Finally, Confederate slavery was fully abolished in 1885, the Liberation Bill being adopted with little opposition under the presidency of James Longstreet. Southerners having resolved this by themselves, rather than having the decision forced upon them by a victorious hostile army, helped avoid any lingering bitterness, and no organization resembling the Ku Klux Klan arose."<<<<