Prayers for Montana peeps

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Prayers for Montana peeps

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:51 pm

Major flooding, water treatment plant icky, infrastructure, etc. Yellowstone River, Billings enaht.
Well, then

Bob Juch

Re: Prayers for Montana peeps

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:31 pm

The Yellowstone and Gallatin Rivers are flooding; the rest of Montana is safe.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tlynn78

#3 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:16 pm

The Yellowstone runs hundreds of miles across (mostly) Montana. My mom lives between the East Rosebud and the Stillwater, which flows into the Yellowstone. She's very blessed to be in a safe spot. Several family friends have flood damage, some have (had) cabins and/or vehicles that the rivers have taken. There are miners who've had to stay at the platinum/palladium mine since end of shift Monday, because the road washed out. So weird, I've traveled that road hundreds of times to go camping, hiking, or to a friend's cabin. Some Search & Rescue friends had to evacuate 65 or so campers by raft..that looked terrifying. The videos of the roads washed out in Yellowstone Park are just unbelievable. My city is in pretty good shape, except for the water treatment plant, but several smaller communities across the southern part of the state are getting hit pretty hard. I'm hearing reports of flooding in the northwest parts of the state, and as far to the east as Miles City. Temps in the 90s this weekend will cause significant snowmelt runoff, but at least the river here has reached its crest and begun to recede. Out west, Missoula is bracing, as they have a good sized river that bisects the city.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

themanintheseersuckersuit

#4 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:37 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:31 pm

In 1984 South Carolina had a tornado outbreak. My sister-in-law was working in Toronto. The Canadian news reported “South Carolina hit by tornados; Myrtle Beach spared”
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

flockofseagulls104

#5 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:59 am

:( :( :(
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:41 am

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tlynn78

#7 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:39 am

The park is a mess, but they'll have all the funds they need. Billings will be fine (in general) - it's really all the smaller, outlying communities that are hardest hit. Missoula has the Clark Fork running right through the middle, so that might get dicey - but Montana peeps are among the most resilient; we'll be fine <mostly>.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:16 pm

This is a serious comment and not snark or political commentary:

From what I've heard, Governor Greg Gianforte has been missing for several days and nobody seems to know where he is. Does t-girl or anyone else know what's happening?
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

tlynn78

#9 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:34 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:16 pm

From what I've heard, Governor Greg Gianforte has been missing for several days and nobody seems to know where he is. Does t-girl or anyone else know what's happening?
He's been out of town on a long-planned trip, which began before the rainstorms that precipitated the flooding. He's monitoring the situation, and having meetings remotely, and is on his way back, last I heard. He's most definitely not 'missing'.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:59 pm

He's been on vacation in Italy. Which I guess isn't quite as bad as hiking the Appalachian Trail, but it's still not a good look when your state's in crisis. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#11 Post by Estonut » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:17 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:59 pm

He's been on vacation in Italy. Which I guess isn't quite as bad as hiking the Appalachian Trail, but it's still not a good look when your state's in crisis.
Did your thorough research not indicate that he left well before the crisis? Or that he was handling this remotely while trying to return ASAP? What, exactly, do you think your beloved Gavin Newsom would have done to provide a better look in such a case?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:54 am

Estonut wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:17 am
Bob78164 wrote:

He's been on vacation in Italy. Which I guess isn't quite as bad as hiking the Appalachian Trail, but it's still not a good look when your state's in crisis.
Did your thorough research not indicate that he left well before the crisis? Or that he was handling this remotely while trying to return ASAP? What, exactly, do you think your beloved Gavin Newsom would have done to provide a better look in such a case?
I doubt Newsom would instruct his office to refuse to say where he was.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#13 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:33 am

Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

He made the choice not to end his vacation early while his state was dealing with a 500-year flood. Just as Ted Cruz made a choice to leave for Mexico while his state was dealing with a crisis. People can make their own judgments about what that choice says about his leadership and character. Just as they did when he criminally assaulted a reporter.

Personally, as someone who has had to interrupt vacations to deal with work emergencies, I prefer leaders like Zelensky, who placed his own personal safety at risk and refused offers to evacuate him in order to remain at his post. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#14 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:45 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:33 am
Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
He made the choice not to end his vacation early while his state was dealing with a 500-year flood. Just as Ted Cruz made a choice to leave for Mexico while his state was dealing with a crisis. People can make their own judgments about what that choice says about his leadership and character. Just as they did when he criminally assaulted a reporter.

Personally, as someone who has had to interrupt vacations to deal with work emergencies, I prefer leaders like Zelensky, who placed his own personal safety at risk and refused offers to evacuate him in order to remain at his post. --Bob
Do you ever dislocate your shoulder from back-patting?
Well, then

tlynn78

#15 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:50 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:45 am
Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:33 am
Estonut wrote:

Do you ever dislocate your shoulder from back-patting?
Double jointed?
Gianforte should be more like Newsom when he hosted a mask-free indoor dinner party at the height of COVID. Maybe Gianforte will organize a water balloon fight in Red Lodge when he gets back.

Spock

#16 Post by Spock » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:11 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Said the obnoxious, blowhard, internet know-it-all who (given flooding concerns in other parts of the state) apparently could not be more wrong.

https://montanafreepress.org/2022/06/14 ... y-on-edge/

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:51 pm

Spock wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:11 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Said the obnoxious, blowhard, internet know-it-all who (given flooding concerns in other parts of the state) apparently could not be more wrong.

At the time I wrote it, my statement was correct.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#18 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:08 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:51 pm
Spock wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

You cited no source then. Afterwards, you posted a NY Times link. They'll certainly be on the case...
Well, then

tlynn78

#19 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:50 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:08 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:51 pm
Spock wrote:

You cited no source then. Afterwards, you posted a NY Times link. They'll certainly be on the case...
And, actually, when I read that post, I'd already heard about issues with the Flathead, et al, but though eh, why bother?

Estonut
Evil Genius

#20 Post by Estonut » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:22 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:54 am
Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Based on what? His previous actions indicate otherwise.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#21 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:19 am

I just got an email today from my friend Aaron Frale. He's one of the authors I've reviewed on Amazon (as well as two of our current Bored members). I appeared on his podcast a couple of years ago. He moved to Montana a while back and I asked him whether the flooding affected him:
Yeah, the flooding happened where we used to live. We literally missed it by a few days. Though Billings wasn't as bad as Red Lodge and the Yellowstone park. That road that was washed away, we had driven on many times. We'd go through Red Lodge over the Beartooth to Yellowstone, and out by Gardener, so it was crazy to see all these places we had frequented many times under water (an Airbnb we had stayed at was right in the worst of the flooding in Red Lodge).
His wife had just taken a new job in Butte, and they had moved there recently. It wasn't until I heard from him just how close he had come.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

tlynn78

#22 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:48 am

Estonut wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:22 am
Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:
This aged well. Not only did Newsome not disclose his location, his location happens to be on the California travel ban list. Rules for thee..

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#23 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:22 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:48 am
Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
This aged well. Not only did Newsome not disclose his location, his location happens to be on the California travel ban list. Rules for thee.
The state-funded travel ban list. This was a personal vacation. Any evidence that he spent state funds?

And who is this "Newsome" person to whom you're referring? --Bob

tlynn78

#24 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:06 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:22 am
tlynn78 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
This aged well. Not only did Newsome not disclose his location, his location happens to be on the California travel ban list. Rules for thee.
The state-funded travel ban list. This was a personal vacation. Any evidence that he spent state funds?

And who is this "Newsome" person to whom you're referring? --Bob
Non-responsive, counselor.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#25 Post by Estonut » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:35 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:22 am
tlynn78 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Do you not find it hypocritical that he bans state-funded travel because of policies which he finds abhorrent, yet has no problem spending his own hard-earned money in such a horrible place?

Further, his staff refuses to answer the question regarding whether or not he has a state-funded security detail along with him, so you can bet the answer is "yes!"
Groucho Marx