School shooting, bombing etc thread

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

School shooting, bombing etc thread

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Sun May 29, 2022 3:38 pm

Provide your solutions.
Well, then

jarnon

Re: School shooting, bombing etc thread

#2 Post by jarnon » Sun May 29, 2022 4:01 pm

I'll start:
  • Find out why the HELL experienced, well-trained and equipped "don't mess with Texas" police waited outside a classroom where children were dying - and NEVER let it happen again
  • Find out why 911 calls from frightened trapped children weren't responded to urgently and compassionately
  • Implement school security measures that have been shown to work
  • Gun safety measures that have wide approval and don't harm lawful gun owners, such as universal background check, restraining orders, crackdown on ghost guns, straw purchasers, large magazines, bump stocks
These are just measures to prevent school shootings, There's lots more that could be done about other forms of gun trauma, like political and religious terrorism, suicide, accidental shooting, domestic violence, police brutality, and drug and gang violence.
Last edited by jarnon on Sun May 29, 2022 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Sun May 29, 2022 4:07 pm

Sounds reasonable. Also, can we be extremely angry at the crazy, evil pieces of shit perpetrators? And those who "didn't know" they were fucked up? And figure out how to prevent that?
Well, then

jarnon

#4 Post by jarnon » Sun May 29, 2022 4:10 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 4:07 pm
Sounds reasonable. Also, can we be extremely angry at the crazy, evil pieces of shit perpetrators? And those who "didn't know" they were fucked up? And figure out how to prevent that?
You can tell I'm angry; what gave it away? I hate the POS too, just less so in this case because he's dead as he deserves.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Sun May 29, 2022 4:18 pm

jarnon wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 4:10 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 4:07 pm
You can tell I'm angry; what gave it away? I hate the POS too, just less so in this case because he's dead as he deserves.
Good point
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Sun May 29, 2022 5:08 pm

From Bob #
"Nor do I understand why people who have jumped all over me for making analogous suggestions in other contexts aren't weighing in here. (Okay -- I'm pretty sure I do understand that latter point.)"
Well, then

flockofseagulls104

#7 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun May 29, 2022 6:01 pm

I made the observation:
You (WEYOUN) have already shown conclusively that you are an 'in the tank' leftist, doc.
To which my ever loyal stalker replied:
If you knew Weyoun's history on this Bored, you'd know how ridiculous this statement is.
The Good Doctor himself (or herself, I really don't know, and I would hate to use the wrong pronoun) replied:
I enjoy these comments suggesting I’m some sort of communist. I am guessing a certain poster was not around back in the day when I butted heads with jerrell(?).
I don't know or remember jerrell or anything specific about the doc aside from what I've seen recently. But his or her latest insightful post, inside a thread that most of us left as a respectful memorial to those who were murdered by an evil ^#^&$67, pretty much confirms my hypothesis:
Gun nuts are awfully quiet.

A lot of their beliefs took a hit.

With all those kids being murdered, you would’ve thought a good man with a gun would’ve stopped at all.

It is Texas after all and everyone is packing!

Welp!

Just a shame. I wonder how many more children will have to die because of the insecurity of these people.
Yes, as far as I am concerned, the good doctor is a confirmed, self-righteous sanctimonious leftist whose religion is politics.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

flockofseagulls104

#8 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun May 29, 2022 6:15 pm

Another confirmed self-righteous, sanctimonious ultra-leftist whose religion is politics, our own bob (I have confirmed their pronoun as biologically male unless they wish to correct me), decided to try and trip me up by bringing the Uvalde shooting up in the 1984 thread.

Here is what they are implementing in Florida to prevent school shootings before they happen. As they state, it is to stop it from happening once there is an active shooter. The hard part is to determine what causes a person to become an active shooter and how to prevent that without making everyone else in the country into a suspect.
Here, BJ, is something that will undoubtedly prevent more school shootings than any background checks.

https://youtu.be/j-Kb4XuHoKw

It is my understanding that every school in the state of Florida is in the Guardian program. Trained, armed protectors on the school campus that will prevent any armed active shooter from shooting any children in that school.
Amazingly, they say that the Broward County School district where the Marjory Stoneman Douglas shooting occurred, to which this program was the response, was the last one to adopt it, and they had to be forced to.

If this program prevents one child from being killed in an active shooter situation, won't this be worth it?

Watch starting at 26:58 if you want an answer to the question of 'more common-sense gun laws'.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Sun May 29, 2022 6:29 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:15 pm
Another confirmed self-righteous, sanctimonious ultra-leftist whose religion is politics, our own bob (I have confirmed their pronoun as biologically male unless they wish to correct me), decided to try and trip me up by bringing the Uvalde shooting up in the 1984 thread.

Here is what they are implementing in Florida to prevent school shootings before they happen. As they state, it is to stop it from happening once there is an active shooter. The hard part is to determine what causes a person to become an active shooter and how to prevent that without making everyone else in the country into a suspect.
Here, BJ, is something that will undoubtedly prevent more school shootings than any background checks.

It is my understanding that every school in the state of Florida is in the Guardian program. Trained, armed protectors on the school campus that will prevent any armed active shooter from shooting any children in that school.
Amazingly, they say that the Broward County School district where the Marjory Stoneman Douglas shooting occurred, to which this program was the response, was the last one to adopt it, and they had to be forced to.

If this program prevents one child from being killed in an active shooter situation, won't this be worth it?

Watch starting at 26:58 if you want an answer to the question of 'more common-sense gun laws'.
How many accidental shootings, or shootings arising from a fit of rage, will be too high a price for increasing the prevalence of guns on campus? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

a1mamacat

#10 Post by a1mamacat » Sun May 29, 2022 6:32 pm

Immediately retire any “assault” style gun, outside of military use.

Require a license to purchase any gun.

Require a course to acquire said license.

Require at least a one week cooling off period after request to purchase said gun.

You need a license to fish, you need a license to drive, but no license to buy a mass destruction weapon?

This won’t stop the criminal element, but the spur of the moment mental health situations could be lowered.

Not perfect, but IMHO, responsible gun enthusiasts are not having any rights impinged upon. They can still buy their guns and ammo.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#11 Post by Beebs52 » Sun May 29, 2022 6:48 pm

See? Reasonable discussions. Yay.
Well, then

flockofseagulls104

#12 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun May 29, 2022 7:04 pm

a1mamacat wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:32 pm

Require at least a one week cooling off period after request to purchase said gun.

You need a license to fish, you need a license to drive, but no license to buy a mass destruction weapon?

This won’t stop the criminal element, but the spur of the moment mental health situations could be lowered.

Not perfect, but IMHO, responsible gun enthusiasts are not having any rights impinged upon. They can still buy their guns and ammo.
That being said, which is an argument that has been going on for a long time, what are your objections to the Guardian program implemented by Florida?

flockofseagulls104

#13 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun May 29, 2022 7:06 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:29 pm
Sun May 29, 2022 6:15 pm

How many accidental shootings, or shootings arising from a fit of rage, will be too high a price for increasing the prevalence of guns on campus? --Bob
Do you have armed, trained people protecting you when you go into your local courthouse, bob? What do you do when they go on their frequent fits of rage?

silverscreenselect

#14 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun May 29, 2022 7:28 pm

Sun May 29, 2022 7:04 pm
That being said, which is an argument that has been going on for a long time, what are your objections to the Guardian program implemented by Florida?
Other than the facts that these programs are ineffective and actually increase the death rate at school shootings with armed guards, nothing.

Officers’ weapons may increase aggression, a phenomenon called “weapons effect.”
Armed guards are now stationed at schools across the country. But do they actually protect students in active shooter incidents? A surprising new study in JAMA Network Open finds them to be ineffective. Researchers examined all U.S. shootings at K-12 schools from 1980-2019. They found that of 133 incidents, 1 in 4 had an armed guard on the scene. Not only did the presence of the armed guards not correlate with fewer injuries, but the death rate was 2.83 times greater in school shootings with armed guards.

The effect was catastrophic with assault weapons. “An armed officer on the scene was the number one factor associated with increased casualties after the perpetrators’ use of assault rifles or submachine guns,” write the authors. They suggest that officers’ weapons may increase aggression, a phenomenon called “weapons effect,” which may be further exacerbated by the fact that many school shooters are suicidal.

On this last point, the researchers insightfully “question the effectiveness” of active shooter drills, given that most would-be shooters participate in the active shooter drills, and therefore know precisely where students are hiding. The authors suggest that rather than drills and armed guards, schools need to invest resources toward preventing shootings long before the incident.
There are a number of other studies to that effect. They had over a dozen police on the site in Uvalde. They had an armed security guard in Buffalo. The only groups promoting armed guards in schools are the NRA and the security companies themselves who love the extra work they get.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

jaybee

#15 Post by jaybee » Sun May 29, 2022 8:42 pm

How about having 100% of news media adopt a policy to release absolutely NO information about the shooter? Other than the very basic - ie: 18 year old male. Or, if they want to they can refer to the shooter as "pathetic loser". I'm pretty sure that 100% of these types of shooters are either captured quickly or killed on site. If they know going in that they are also going to die then at least some of them are doing it for their only chance of 15 minutes of nationalized fame.
Jaybee

a1mamacat

#16 Post by a1mamacat » Sun May 29, 2022 8:52 pm

Sun May 29, 2022 7:04 pm
a1mamacat wrote:

Trained armed protectors waited around in Uvalde,
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

flockofseagulls104

#17 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun May 29, 2022 8:54 pm

jaybee wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:42 pm
How about having 100% of news media adopt a policy to release absolutely NO information about the shooter? Other than the very basic - ie: 18 year old male. Or, if they want to they can refer to the shooter as "pathetic loser". I'm pretty sure that 100% of these types of shooters are either captured quickly or killed on site. If they know going in that they are also going to die then at least some of them are doing it for their only chance of 15 minutes of nationalized fame.
That I can agree with. But the news media pretty much has one master: the democrat party. They would have to get on that bandwagon, and I doubt they will.

silverscreenselect

#18 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun May 29, 2022 9:05 pm

The GOP’s Flock's Only Answer to School Shootings Didn’t Help in Uvalde
Last year, a group of public health scholars published a study in the Journal of the American Medical Association examining 133 school shootings from 1980 to 2019. An armed guard was present in about a quarter of the incidents in the study. Those schools actually suffered death rates nearly three times higher than schools without armed guards. Similarly, a 2020 review of gun policy research by the RAND Corporation think tank found no evidence that the presence of more guns had any effect on gun violence. Criminologists at Texas State University found that unarmed staff or the shooters themselves are far more likely to bring a school shooting to an end than someone with a gun returning fire.

So-called good guys with guns fail to effectively deter or end mass shootings for a variety of tactical and psychological reasons.

For one thing, it’s actually very hard to shoot straight in a situation like a mass shooting. RAND analysts have found that even highly trained NYPD officers only hit their intended target in 19 percent of gunfire exchanges. Winning a gunfight with a shooter only becomes more difficult when the perpetrator carries a semi-automatic rifle like an AR-15, as the Uvalde suspect and many others have done. These weapons have a much longer range and are far more accurate than the kinds of pistols typically used by police and civilian concealed carriers, allowing shooters to keep responders far enough away that their own weapons will be of little use. The Uvalde gunman, for instance, managed to overpower two officers whom he encountered on his way to the elementary school. In the most extreme cases, a single gunman with a semi-automatic rifle can stymie an entire SWAT team for hours: Back in 2015, a single gunman assaulting a Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood with an AK-style rifle held off police for the better part of a day before surrendering.

The idea that armed guards and teachers could deter shootings in the first place presumes mass shooters behave rationally, weighing risks, when in fact the opposite is true. As the JAMA authors noted, “many school shooters are actively suicidal, intending to die in the act, so an armed officer may be an incentive rather than a deterrent.” Considering the long odds of taking down a determined shooter equipped with an assault rifle, armed police and bystanders sometimes have difficulty motivating themselves to actually engage at all, as happened so infamously in the Parkland shooting when two sheriff’s deputies apparently hid from the gunman.

Good guys with guns fail to stop bad guys with guns in the moment because mass shootings are rare, surprising, and unpredictable events. Red flag laws are effective because mass shooters are, by contrast, pretty predictable: They almost always display clear warning signs that they are a danger to society and themselves. The Uvalde shooter was no exception: According to friends, he engaged in self-harm, shot a BB gun at strangers, and expressed a desire to kill. He also posted frequently on social media about his desire for guns. If Texas had the appropriate legal machinery in place, the people in the shooter’s life who had been so alarmed by his behavior might have had an opportunity to act before it was too late. A 2019 case study of California’s law, passed in the wake of the 2014 Isla Vista shooting, found the orders were used in 21 cases where gun owners had made credible threats of mass shootings. It’s at least conceivable that this law prevented other possible atrocities.
So the answer to Flock's question, "If this program prevents one child from being killed in an active shooter situation, won't this be worth it?" is not if it winds up getting many more children killed in other active shooter situations as statistics show occurs.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

kroxquo

#19 Post by kroxquo » Sun May 29, 2022 9:44 pm

a1mamacat wrote:

I'd go along with all of these as well as buy-back program. Australia implemented one and saw their gun violence rate go down by more than 50% over ten years.

I would raise the minimum age for using gun to 18 (I don't know the law in other states, but in NC you may use the gun as a minor under adult supervision).

Let's open up tort laws to make gun manufacturers liable.

Let's increase medicaid spending to include mental health treatment for more people.

And how about making ammunition prohibitively expensive.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

flockofseagulls104

#20 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon May 30, 2022 9:39 am

OK, in this mini bored congress, we have made a bunch of suggestions. Let's create a bill for the whole country and see if we can vote on it. I will start with submitting this bill:

BB-1 Bored Congress Bill 1 - Stopping Mass Shootings at Schools

Federal funding for a nationwide Guardian Program to protect all our schools. If an individual state establishes a mandatory program that fits the standards of Florida's Guardian program, this Bored Congress will find a bunch of porkbarrel programs to discontinue, redundant funding to nix, stupid money giveaways to stop and shut down some of the billions of dollars of fraud to fund a pool of money to give to that state to help implement their Guardian program.

This is the bill I will submit. Amendments can be added, but they will have to be voted on. Submit your amendment and then individual BBs can quote it and say YAY or NAY. One Comment can be added by each BB on the bill and any amendment. No followups. Please keep to the rules.

Quote the bill or the submitted amendment and add you comment or your vote, then shutup about that and let others have their say. After a period of time, we will add the amendments to the bill and then have a vote on the bill. Let's see if we can actually do something that Congress can't and if it stands a snowball's chance in hell of actually addressing the problem.

Keep amendments simple and to the point.

Yeah, I'm weird, but at least this might give some structure to the arguing back and forth here.

The next post will be the submitted bill.
Last edited by flockofseagulls104 on Mon May 30, 2022 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

flockofseagulls104

#21 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon May 30, 2022 9:39 am

BB-1 Bored Congress Bill 1 - Stopping Mass Shootings at Schools

Federal funding for a nationwide Guardian Program to protect all our schools. If an individual state establishes a mandatory program that fits the standards of Florida's Guardian program, this Bored Congress will find a bunch of porkbarrel programs to discontinue, redundant funding to nix, stupid money giveaways to stop and shut down some of the billions of dollars of fraud to fund a pool of money to give to that state to help implement their Guardian program.

Weyoun

#22 Post by Weyoun » Mon May 30, 2022 1:04 pm

This Guardian suggestion won’t work.

We had a bunch of police show up at Uvalde as well as other security measures.

Bunch of dead kids still.

Unfortunately, there are quite a few cowards in law-enforcement.

If we were to do it, it should not be paid for by the regular citizen.

If you own a gun, you have to pay for an individual license for it. He also must pay for a license to be able to possess guns, after passing a training course.

Then you have to pay for insurance for each gun. On top of that, the insurance premium will be taxed.

Use that money for the Guardian program.

It will indirectly work, because it will make it more difficult for people to obtain guns.

One thing I’ve noticed about the gun that crowd is that they have no interest in paying for the inconvenience they cause others.

Just like the anti-vaccine crowd wanted to shift the externalities of all the risky behavior to everyone else

Spock

#23 Post by Spock » Mon May 30, 2022 1:24 pm

I have been thinking about how to harden schools.

1) Put the door to the room in one of the corners to the room. Assuming you have a window in the door-this renders large areas of the classroom invisible to a shooter outside the door and kids can hide along the long wall.

Much better than having doors in the middle of the room.

2) 2 points of exit to a classroom-the main door, plus a window or whatever on a different wall.

OH-BTW-Weyoun-"
"Just like the anti-vaccine crowd wanted to shift the externalities of all the risky behavior to everyone else"

Go Fuck yourself.

Oh, and since there is no way you could have checked it out-I hope your kids'' fertility is affected over time and that there are other long-term effects on them that will weigh on your soul.

flockofseagulls104

#24 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon May 30, 2022 1:36 pm

The Good Doctor has apparently used up their time (1 post) and voted no on the main bill. They still can comment and vote on any amendments to the main bill. As usual, not following the procedure that was outlined.

I don't think Spock has added an amendment, but commented on what should be included in the Guardian program. Also earns a reprimand for innappropriate language. I think that will count as his time on the main bill.

Weyoun

#25 Post by Weyoun » Mon May 30, 2022 1:57 pm

A bit harsh, Spock.

I understand that you’re an evil person based on the fact that you blithely ignore the death of children because you want unfettered access to guns.

However wishing illness on my child seems to be a bit beyond the pale even for you.