Ok So

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Ok So

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Mon May 09, 2022 6:22 pm

Who seriously thinks Trump will run in 24? And who would vote for him? I know I may piss off some peeps, but I'm tired of hearing the left's blahblah and the olddd crap that most prez's have to deal with after lo years?...
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Ok So

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Mon May 09, 2022 6:41 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 6:22 pm
Who seriously thinks Trump will run in 24? And who would vote for him? I know I may piss off some peeps, but I'm tired of hearing the left's blahblah and the olddd crap that most prez's have to deal with after lo years?...
I believe it is more likely than not that Donny will run. If he runs, he will win the nomination and it won't be close. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

kroxquo

#3 Post by kroxquo » Mon May 09, 2022 8:51 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
He will run. He will win the nomination. He will win the Presidency.

And we all will write the obituary for the U.S. Constitution.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

flockofseagulls104

#4 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon May 09, 2022 9:25 pm

He is old. So far he shows no signs of senility like our current president does. If he has any inkling he will degenerate into the incoherent puppet our current president is, I hope he will refrain from running.
I would hope, if he runs, he makes a very good choice for VP, unlike our current president did.
If he runs, unless hell freezes over and the other party nominates someone with some semblance of a brain, some time in the past has shown one time an incident where they exercised any common sense, who has actually heard of the US Constitution, much less has any understanding of it and who doesn't hate this country, I will have to vote for him.
But I very much doubt the dems have anyone in their party that can fit any one of those criteria.
If he doesn't run, I face the same choice. Unless the repubs nominate someone who is a total swamp creature. Then I will write in the funniest choice I can think of at that time.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon May 09, 2022 9:42 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 9:25 pm
Unless the repubs nominate someone who is a total swamp creature. Then I will write in the funniest choice I can think of at that time.
Actually Donald Trump qualifies on either part of your statement.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Appa23

#6 Post by Appa23 » Tue May 10, 2022 11:27 am

It is clear to me that Trump wants to run in 2024. It is the reason why he is endorsing so many candidates in so many primary races, especially in key states.

It is also why it is so important that his picks do not prevail in places like Georgia and Pennsylvania. The fact that he "ran the board" in Ohio and Texas was good news for him.

Today provides a chance for the first chink in his "I am the party's leader" armor. A Trump clone (Charles Herbster) is running for governor of Nebraska. You cannot get a race that is closer to Trump running himself, in my opinion. Herbster was there in 2015 when Trump descended the escalator and announced that he was running for President. He was there when Justice Kavanaugh had his confirmation hearing. He was there with Trump on January 6th. He is so much like Trump that he recently was the subject of an investigative article that detailed his improper sexual advances on 8 young woman within the last 2-3 years, including one that now is a state senator and presumptively a future Republican leader in the state (and maybe nation). Herbster went full Trump and declared that it was a hit job by the party establishment that didn't like outsiders (ignoring the fact that he literally was one of the largest political donors in the state party). Herbster's ad campaign and platform is "I'm with Trump" and nothing else. Trump is featured and speaks more in his ads than Herbster himself. He even is pledging to "Make Nebraska Great Again", which raises the question as to when does he thinks that we stopped being great. We still have a well-educated population, the lowest unemployment, a low cost-of-living, and a good business climate. (Maybe it is a football thing.)

Herbster's main opposition is a young (40s) state senator named Brett Lindstrom and a former Nebraska player from the late 1970s and University Regent, Jim Pillen, who is endorsed by the current governor, Pete Ricketts. (He recovered the famous Bill Sims fumble that allowed Nebraska to beat the Sooners in 1979. Yes, that is a selling point for him in this state,) Lindstrom will be the choice mainly of the Republicans in Omaha and Lincoln, plus Democrats who switched parties to vote as Republicans. (While Nebraska generally skews centrist historically, it generally votes Republican and the Democrats have a terrible candidate for governor, so there are urban Democrats who want to be able to help pick the next person running the state.) Pillen has Rickett's money behind him. (With Herbster bankrolling his own campaign, he got into a fight with a legit billionaire family that owns the Cubs and wanted to buy the Chelsea soccer club. Ricketts had admitted to funding "dark money" negative ads against Herbster (he's a liar and cheat) and Lindstrom (he's a RINO)).

I think that Ricketts is testing the waters himself for 2024. The Ricketts family spent millions trying to derail the Trump campaign in 2016 before he got the nomination. With Biden having a very negative year plus of his presidency, I am looking for some actual new, strong candidates to emerge from both parties, rather than what we had in 2016 and 2020.

bazodee

#7 Post by bazodee » Tue May 10, 2022 1:44 pm

Alternative scenario:

Kevin McCarthy is not loved by his party. The next Congress elects Donald Trump as the Speaker of the House (the Speaker does not have to be a member. It's never happened, but he is eligible.)

Maybe that will be enough to scratch his itch to be the center of attention and chief mischief-maker (and third-in-line).

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Wed May 11, 2022 7:54 am

bazodee wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:44 pm
Alternative scenario:

Kevin McCarthy is not loved by his party. The next Congress elects Donald Trump as the Speaker of the House (the Speaker does not have to be a member. It's never happened, but he is eligible.)

Maybe that will be enough to scratch his itch to be the center of attention and chief mischief-maker (and third-in-line).
This has been suggested before - and the follow-up is that the President and Vice-president resign (or are impeached and convicted) in order to make Trump president.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

flockofseagulls104

#9 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed May 11, 2022 8:10 am

earendel wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 7:54 am
bazodee wrote:
Alternative scenario:

This has been suggested before - and the follow-up is that the President and Vice-president resign (or are impeached and convicted) in order to make Trump president.
This is a tactic that the Democrats would consider if they were in the same situation. And I have no doubt they would implement it if they thought they could pull it off. Sort of like packing the SCOTUS and making new states so they would get more power in DC. The only reason they haven't done those two things yet is they know they don't have enough votes to do it.

The repubs don't have the spine to do this. Even if they gain control of the House and Senate. The only way they would do it is if the Dems did something like the above two examples and established the precedent, so they could say, we did it because the dems did it to us. That does not seem likely at this point. So this will never happen, IMO. And I think the whole idea stinks to high heaven. The approval rating of congress is lower than that of used car salesmen as it is. This would put its approval rating into negative numbers, if that's possible.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Wed May 11, 2022 8:17 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:10 am
earendel wrote:
bazodee wrote:
Alternative scenario:

This is a tactic that the Democrats would consider if they were in the same situation. And I have no doubt they would implement it if they thought they could pull it off. Sort of like packing the SCOTUS and making new states so they would get more power in DC. The only reason they haven't done those two things yet is they know they don't have enough votes to do it.

The repubs don't have the spine to do this. Even if they gain control of the House and Senate. The only way they would do it is if the Dems did something like the above two examples and established the precedent, so they could say, we did it because the dems did it to us. That does not seem likely at this point. So this will never happen, IMO. And I think the whole idea stinks to high heaven. The approval rating of congress is lower than that of used car salesmen as it is. This would put its approval rating into negative numbers, if that's possible.
I don't think it will happen, either. I just know that some have touted it.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

tlynn78

#11 Post by tlynn78 » Wed May 11, 2022 1:07 pm

kroxquo wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 8:51 pm
Beebs52 wrote:

LOL! Just like last time!!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

wbtravis007

#12 Post by wbtravis007 » Wed May 11, 2022 1:35 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 1:07 pm
kroxquo wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

Sorry, but the Constitution wouldn't allow him to win three times.

If Biden wasn't so damned senile now, he might have had enough sense to replace Harris with Obama in '24 and, post-election, sail off into the sunset in his la-la-land.

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 11, 2022 7:10 pm

earendel wrote:
bazodee wrote:
Alternative scenario:

If the President or VP were impeached or resigned, the Speaker of the House wouldn't be able to take either office.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

kroxquo

#14 Post by kroxquo » Thu May 12, 2022 9:18 am

wbtravis007 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 1:35 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
kroxquo wrote:

If Biden wasn't so damned senile now, he might have had enough sense to replace Harris with Obama in '24 and, post-election, sail off into the sunset in his la-la-land.
Obama is not eligible. The office of Vice President must be filled by someone who is eligible to be President and the 22nd Amendment makes him ineligible. However, now that you mention it, if the 45th President has won twice, then the 22nd also makes him ineligible to run again. Maybe this isn't such a bad idea after all.

Ritterskoop

#15 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu May 12, 2022 9:45 am

I know this wasn't the question, but it feels like DeSantis is clearing a path to run, and to run against Trump. Enough Rs are starting to whisper that it is OK to move on from 2020 and Trump that i feel like he has a shot at the nomination.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

wbtravis007

#16 Post by wbtravis007 » Thu May 12, 2022 10:19 am

kroxquo wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 9:18 am
wbtravis007 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

Obama is not eligible. The office of Vice President must be filled by someone who is eligible to be President and the 22nd Amendment makes him ineligible. However, now that you mention it, if the 45th President has won twice, then the 22nd also makes him ineligible to run again. Maybe this isn't such a bad idea after all.
The 22nd Amendment wouldn't prevent Obama from serving as President. It just would prevent him from being elected President. Nothing to stop him from being elected VP.

kroxquo

#17 Post by kroxquo » Thu May 12, 2022 10:51 am

wbtravis007 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 10:19 am
kroxquo wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:

The 22nd Amendment wouldn't prevent Obama from serving as President. It just would prevent him from being elected President. Nothing to stop him from being elected VP.
I stand corrected. It is not 22nd but the 12th that would forbid it. "No person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States."

wbtravis007

#18 Post by wbtravis007 » Thu May 12, 2022 11:07 am

kroxquo wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 10:51 am
wbtravis007 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 10:19 am
kroxquo wrote:

I stand corrected. It is not 22nd but the 12th that would forbid it. "No person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States."
Again, he's not constitutionally ineligible to the office of President; he just can't be elected President again.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#19 Post by Beebs52 » Thu May 12, 2022 12:41 pm

WB is right.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#20 Post by Bob78164 » Thu May 12, 2022 1:06 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 12:41 pm
WB is right.
That theory was floated in connection with Bill Clinton. It’s not a credible reading of the amendment. —Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#21 Post by Beebs52 » Thu May 12, 2022 1:54 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 1:06 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
WB is right.
That theory was floated in connection with Bill Clinton. It’s not a credible reading of the amendment. —Bob
According to whom?
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#22 Post by Bob78164 » Thu May 12, 2022 2:09 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 1:54 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
WB is right.
According to whom?
Anyone who knows anything about constitutional interpretation. Not all readings that are syntactically possible are credible. The obvious purpose of the Twelfth Amendment is to prevent anyone from serving as Vice President also to serve as President. The equally obvious purpose of the Twenty-Second Amendment is to prevent anyone from serving as President after serving two complete terms (or one complete term and more than half of someone else’s term). The proposed reading would make a mockery of that interpretation. —Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#23 Post by Beebs52 » Thu May 12, 2022 2:14 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 2:09 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 1:54 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
According to whom?
Anyone who knows anything about constitutional interpretation. Not all readings that are syntactically possible are credible. The obvious purpose of the Twelfth Amendment is to prevent anyone from serving as Vice President also to serve as President. The equally obvious purpose of the Twenty-Second Amendment is to prevent anyone from serving as President after serving two complete terms (or one complete term and more than half of someone else’s term). The proposed reading would make a mockery of that interpretation. —Bob
According to whom?
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#24 Post by Beebs52 » Thu May 12, 2022 2:23 pm

Realize he was suggesting Obama as VP and then for whatever reason Biden is sent out to pasture, enabling Obama to serve as acting prez for term remainder. Not eligible for actual pres reelection. WB, am I correct?

Disclaimer-obviously I wouldn't vote for them but it is interesting.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#25 Post by Beebs52 » Thu May 12, 2022 2:28 pm

From Wiki
In a November 2000 interview with Rolling Stone, President Bill Clinton suggested that the 22nd Amendment should be altered to limit presidents to two consecutive terms but then allow non-consecutive terms, because of longer life expectancies

Not what was in orig discussion
Well, then