Gov. Abbott has COVID-19

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tlynn78

Re: Gov. Abbott has COVID-19

#51 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:06 am

earendel wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:53 am
Here's an interesting take on the "masks in restaurants" debate. Basilico's, an Italian restaurant in Huntington Beach, CA, instituted a policy in July requiring that patrons prove that they had NOT been vaccinated in order to enter. The restaurant advertised on billboards with the slogan "Leave the mask, take the cannoli". The owner describes his establishment as "a Constitutional Battleground...in defense of Liberty and Freedom" and has established an organization called "Make Restaurants Great Again".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilico%27s
Why do I have the feeling that it's one of those Italian restaurants that serve spaghetti and meatballs by spreading the pasta and sauce across the table (sans plates) and your group is supposed to just 'have at it'?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

BackInTex

#52 Post by BackInTex » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:14 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:21 am
BackInTex wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:46 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:50 pm
Not in Florida, or in Texas. The Legislature took that right away from them, and the Governor signed the laws.

As a direct result, I'm more than a little skeptical that ACBL will move forward with the Fall Nationals currently scheduled for Austin. I think it'll become the sixth consecutive national tournament to be cancelled. --Bob
Can you cite a reference for Texas? I don’t know about Florida but Abbott’s ban on mandates only extends to governmental entities. Private entities can require customers and employees to wear masks.
Texas has banned businesses from requiring proof of vaccination. So has Florida. --Bob
Actually HIPAA did that already, but I realize federal laws mean nothing to the current administration or liberals.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#53 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:20 am

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:14 am
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:46 pm
Can you cite a reference for Texas? I don’t know about Florida but Abbott’s ban on mandates only extends to governmental entities. Private entities can require customers and employees to wear masks.
Texas has banned businesses from requiring proof of vaccination. So has Florida. --Bob
Actually HIPAA did that already, but I realize federal laws mean nothing to the current administration or liberals.
That is an incorrect statement of law. HIPAA has no application at all here. All it does is prevent health care providers from releasing information about patients. It doesn't prevent anyone from asking people anything they'd like, nor does it apply at all to any business other than health care providers.

So all that the States of Texas and Florida have done is to strip from private business owners the ability to control whether their clientele has been vaccinated against a contagious and deadly disease. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#54 Post by BackInTex » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:49 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:20 am
BackInTex wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:14 am
Bob78164 wrote:
That is an incorrect statement of law. HIPAA has no application at all here. All it does is prevent health care providers from releasing information about patients. It doesn't prevent anyone from asking people anything they'd like, nor does it apply at all to any business other than health care providers.

So all that the States of Texas and Florida have done is to strip from private business owners the ability to control whether their clientele has been vaccinated against a contagious and deadly disease. --Bob
O.K. Let's take another route. Since minorities are less likely to be vaccinated, Abbott is just insuring they are not being discriminated against. I know that is not the reason but had the shoe been on the other foot, only Republicans mandating proof of vaccination, or say the Dixie Dinner was the only restaurant requiring proof, the libs and media would be all over the discriminatory impact.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

earendel

#55 Post by earendel » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:33 am

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:49 am
O.K. Let's take another route. Since minorities are less likely to be vaccinated, Abbott is just insuring they are not being discriminated against. I know that is not the reason but had the shoe been on the other foot, only Republicans mandating proof of vaccination, or say the Dixie Dinner was the only restaurant requiring proof, the libs and media would be all over the discriminatory impact.
Are you serious??!! :roll:
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

BackInTex

#56 Post by BackInTex » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:10 pm

earendel wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:33 am
BackInTex wrote:
I'll take that as you're not concerned that any such restrictions will unequally burden/impact minorities. Great, we can move on from that being an excuse used in any legislation. Just do what's right regardless. I'm all for that.

BTW, current vaccination rates (having had at least one shot) for blacks is 40% vs 50% for whites or 67% for Asian.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

earendel

#57 Post by earendel » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:11 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:10 pm
earendel wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
I'll take that as you're not concerned that any such restrictions will unequally burden/impact minorities. Great, we can move on from that being an excuse used in any legislation. Just do what's right regardless. I'm all for that.

BTW, current vaccination rates (having had at least one shot) for blacks is 40% vs 50% for whites or 67% for Asian.
I was questioning whether you were seriously suggesting that Gov. Abbott was using that argument.

BackInTex

#58 Post by BackInTex » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:47 pm

earendel wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:11 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:10 pm
earendel wrote:

I was questioning whether you were seriously suggesting that Gov. Abbott was using that argument.
I was expecting my " I know that is not the reason but..." would indicate that.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#59 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:37 pm

Gunshot Victims Left Waiting as Horse Dewormer Overdoses Overwhelm Oklahoma Hospitals
The rise in people using ivermectin, an anti-parasitic drug usually reserved for deworming horses or livestock, as a treatment or preventative for Covid-19 has emergency rooms “so backed up that gunshot victims were having hard times getting” access to health facilities, an emergency room doctor in Oklahoma said. This week, Dr. Jason McElyea told KFOR the overdoses are causing backlogs in rural hospitals, leaving both beds and ambulance services scarce. “The ERs are so backed up that gunshot victims were having hard times getting to facilities where they can get definitive care and be treated,” McElyea said.

“All of their ambulances are stuck at the hospital waiting for a bed to open so they can take the patient in and they don’t have any, that’s it,” said McElyea. “If there’s no ambulance to take the call, there’s no ambulance to come to the call.”

People getting sick from ivermectin — especially as some people take a formulation of the drug used in livestock — has become so frequent that this month the Food and Drug Administration released a statement imploring Americans to stay away from the drug that has not been approved to treat or prevent Covid-19. “You are not a horse. You are not a cow,” the agency said while linking to an explainer about the dangers of ingesting ivermectin designed for livestock. The agency went on to explain that although the medication is sometimes used in humans as a treatment for parasites or scabies, or in topical form to treat rosacea, the doses are much smaller than are given to livestock. Still, people have been going to feed stores and purchasing livestock doses of the drug, leading many stores to post warnings next to the ivermectin supply, cautioning it is not for use in humans.
So, the vaccine is dangerous because a handful of the 175 million people who are fully vaccinated have developed complications or side effects. But taking horse dewormer is okay despite the emergency rooms overflowing from people who tried that.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#60 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:27 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:37 pm
Gunshot Victims Left Waiting as Horse Dewormer Overdoses Overwhelm Oklahoma Hospitals
The rise in people using ivermectin, an anti-parasitic drug usually reserved for deworming horses or livestock, as a treatment or preventative for Covid-19 has emergency rooms “so backed up that gunshot victims were having hard times getting” access to health facilities, an emergency room doctor in Oklahoma said. This week, Dr. Jason McElyea told KFOR the overdoses are causing backlogs in rural hospitals, leaving both beds and ambulance services scarce. “The ERs are so backed up that gunshot victims were having hard times getting to facilities where they can get definitive care and be treated,” McElyea said.

“All of their ambulances are stuck at the hospital waiting for a bed to open so they can take the patient in and they don’t have any, that’s it,” said McElyea. “If there’s no ambulance to take the call, there’s no ambulance to come to the call.”

People getting sick from ivermectin — especially as some people take a formulation of the drug used in livestock — has become so frequent that this month the Food and Drug Administration released a statement imploring Americans to stay away from the drug that has not been approved to treat or prevent Covid-19. “You are not a horse. You are not a cow,” the agency said while linking to an explainer about the dangers of ingesting ivermectin designed for livestock. The agency went on to explain that although the medication is sometimes used in humans as a treatment for parasites or scabies, or in topical form to treat rosacea, the doses are much smaller than are given to livestock. Still, people have been going to feed stores and purchasing livestock doses of the drug, leading many stores to post warnings next to the ivermectin supply, cautioning it is not for use in humans.
So, the vaccine is dangerous because a handful of the 175 million people who are fully vaccinated have developed complications or side effects. But taking horse dewormer is okay despite the emergency rooms overflowing from people who tried that.
The average IQ of the U.S. will rise.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#61 Post by BackInTex » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:44 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:27 am

When that happens, give your daughters my condolences. You've been played.

One Hospital Denies Oklahoma Doctor’s Story of Ivermectin Overdoses Causing ER Delays for Gunshot Victims

Oklahoma Doctor At Center Of Viral Ivermectin Story Says Report Is Wrong
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#62 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:25 am

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:44 am
Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:27 am

When that happens, give your daughters my condolences. You've been played.

One Hospital Denies Oklahoma Doctor’s Story of Ivermectin Overdoses Causing ER Delays for Gunshot Victims

Oklahoma Doctor At Center Of Viral Ivermectin Story Says Report Is Wrong
Northern Idaho has activated "crisis standards of care." That means people who need treatment won't get the care they need because there aren't enough beds for them. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#63 Post by Spock » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:30 am

SSS>>>"So, the vaccine is dangerous because a handful of the 175 million people who are fully vaccinated have developed complications or side effects. But taking horse dewormer is okay despite the emergency rooms overflowing from people who tried that."<<<<

Did you get that info about overflowing emergency rooms from the laughable Rolling Stone story?

This is from their update/correction to that story.

>>>"Update: One hospital has denied Dr. Jason McElyea’s claim that ivermectin overdoses are causing emergency room backlogs and delays in medical care in rural Oklahoma, and Rolling Stone has been unable to independently verify any such cases as of the time of this update."<<<<

The Next sentence

>>>"The National Poison Data System states there were 459 reported cases of ivermectin overdose in the United States in August."<<<<

459 cases nationwide in August does not sound like "Overflowing emergency rooms."

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... d-1220608/
Last edited by Spock on Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#64 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:38 am

Spock wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:30 am
SSS>>>"So, the vaccine is dangerous because a handful of the 175 million people who are fully vaccinated have developed complications or side effects. But taking horse dewormer is okay despite the emergency rooms overflowing from people who tried that."<<<<

Did you get that info about overflowing emergency rooms from the laughable Rolling Stone story?

This is from their update/correction.

>>>"Update: One hospital has denied Dr. Jason McElyea’s claim that ivermectin overdoses are causing emergency room backlogs and delays in medical care in rural Oklahoma, and Rolling Stone has been unable to independently verify any such cases as of the time of this update."<<<<

The Next sentence

>>>"The National Poison Data System states there were 459 reported cases of ivermectin overdose in the United States in August."<<<<

459 cases nationwide in August does not sound like "Overflowing emergency rooms."
Try this story. Northern Idaho, not Oklahoma, but still should never have happened. And it's the fault of people like you who are too damned stubborn and selfish to take the damn vaccine. --Bob

Spock

#65 Post by Spock » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:45 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:38 am
Spock wrote:

The Next sentence

Try this story. Northern Idaho, not Oklahoma, but still should never have happened. And it's the fault of people like you who are too damned stubborn and selfish to take the damn vaccine. --Bob
"People Like Me" hmm. I have had Covid already. Hence, I see no need for the shot. I would actually be willing to place a bet on who gets Covid first-me with my natural immunity or you with your vaccine?

It is not totally fair, because I am out living my life while you are hiding in your basement-but I still am willing to bet that you get Covid first.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#66 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:17 pm

Spock wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:45 am
Bob78164 wrote:
Spock wrote:

The Next sentence

"People Like Me" hmm. I have had Covid already. Hence, I see no need for the shot. I would actually be willing to place a bet on who gets Covid first-me with my natural immunity or you with your vaccine?

It is not totally fair, because I am out living my life while you are hiding in your basement-but I still am willing to bet that you get Covid first.
You have no fucking clue how I am living my life. The odds are pretty heavily in my favor. In heavily vaccinated regions like mine, the odds are roughly 1 in 10,000 that I contract COVID on any particular day. And if I do get it, as at least one of my partners did after being vaccinated, the odds are even better that I'll be able to stay out of the hospital.

You live in a rural area. Since I'm going to my office every work day, whereas I'm guessing you don't have extended contact with a whole lot of people, you may win that bet, though I hope it ends in a draw with neither of us contracting the disease. Hell, I probably have close contact with more people in elevators on a daily basis than you do in your regular day. But the data now make it quite clear that having had the disease once is less protective against both getting the disease and severe illness than is being fully vaccinated.

And it's not just about you. If you get it, you can spread it to others, and that can happen before you know you have the disease. That's why your cowering from this pinprick is not just chickenshit, but utterly selfish. --Bob

Spock

#67 Post by Spock » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:23 pm

Bob#'s>>>And if I do get it, as at least one of my partners did after being vaccinated, the odds are even better that I'll be able to stay out of the hospital."<<<

Guess what you didn't factor into the equation. I stayed out of the hospital too. As do 99 point something percent of the people who catch this cold bug even without being vaccinated.

earendel

#68 Post by earendel » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:02 pm

Spock wrote:

For what it's worth, I had COVID in July 2020 and I got vaccinated anyway. I don't wear a mask unless required (some restaurants, retail shops, and at our church) and I'm not "hiding in my basement". I'm not particularly worried about getting a breakthrough infection, but the studies show that if that happens, my symptoms are likely to be less severe than someone who isn't vaccinated.

I do note that there hasn't been much said about re-infection among the unvaccinated, so it's hard to say what your chances are.

Spock

#69 Post by Spock » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:13 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:17 pm
Spock wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

You have no fucking clue how I am living my life. The odds are pretty heavily in my favor. In heavily vaccinated regions like mine, the odds are roughly 1 in 10,000 that I contract COVID on any particular day. And if I do get it, as at least one of my partners did after being vaccinated, the odds are even better that I'll be able to stay out of the hospital.

You live in a rural area. Since I'm going to my office every work day, whereas I'm guessing you don't have extended contact with a whole lot of people, you may win that bet, though I hope it ends in a draw with neither of us contracting the disease. Hell, I probably have close contact with more people in elevators on a daily basis than you do in your regular day. But the data now make it quite clear that having had the disease once is less protective against both getting the disease and severe illness than is being fully vaccinated.

And it's not just about you. If you get it, you can spread it to others, and that can happen before you know you have the disease. That's why your cowering from this pinprick is not just chickenshit, but utterly selfish. --Bob
Given that you are bragging about living in a "heavily-vaccinated region" I am guessing that you are not doing much Covid-Vaccine missionary work among the undervaxxed Demographics in your area.

Re-I live in a rural area. Done much traveling to the 3rd world in the last few months, have you? To countries like Namibia that were undergoing a major Covid wave and among crowds in Addis Ababa and other places?

BackInTex

#70 Post by BackInTex » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:28 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
If you get it, you can spread it to others, and that can happen before you know you have the disease.
I haven't seen anywhere that it has been proven that asymptomatic people can spread the disease. Up to a few months ago, I read that not a single case has been identified as being contracted from an asymptomatic source.

Do you have any sources that say otherwise? Not a chest bumping challenge. I seriously want to know as this has been a major reason for the 24/7 mask mandates, but from what I've seen, and researched, it always comes back as "well, just be on the safe side".
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#71 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:56 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:28 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
If you get it, you can spread it to others, and that can happen before you know you have the disease.
I haven't seen anywhere that it has been proven that asymptomatic people can spread the disease. Up to a few months ago, I read that not a single case has been identified as being contracted from an asymptomatic source.

Do you have any sources that say otherwise? Not a chest bumping challenge. I seriously want to know as this has been a major reason for the 24/7 mask mandates, but from what I've seen, and researched, it always comes back as "well, just be on the safe side".
A fair question. Here is what I could find quickly. It says that a lot of pre-symptomatic transmission occurs, but very little asymptomatic transmission. The problem, of course, is that by the time you find out whether you're asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic, you've already had your opportunity to spread the disease. --Bob

BackInTex

#72 Post by BackInTex » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:17 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:56 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

A fair question. Here is what I could find quickly. It says that a lot of pre-symptomatic transmission occurs, but very little asymptomatic transmission. The problem, of course, is that by the time you find out whether you're asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic, you've already had your opportunity to spread the disease. --Bob
Thanks. Seems if one is immune or unaffected by the disease, they likely do not transmit even if they are carrying a viral load. Only those who are impacted by the disease transmit and can can transmit before showing symptoms. Is that it in a nutshell?

What we don't know is what percentage of the population is immune or unaffected when infected (e.g. will be or were asymptomatic). That would be valuable knowledge. It would be nice to have a test that could indicate that.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#73 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:23 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:17 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Thanks. Seems if one is immune or unaffected by the disease, they likely do not transmit even if they are carrying a viral load. Only those who are impacted by the disease transmit and can can transmit before showing symptoms. Is that it in a nutshell?

What we don't know is what percentage of the population is immune or unaffected when infected (e.g. will be or were asymptomatic). That would be valuable knowledge. It would be nice to have a test that could indicate that.
That's what this study seems to indicate. Small sample size warnings are appropriate.

As for the test you suggest, as far as I know, the only present way to get that information about someone is for them to get infected. And even then, an asymptomatic first infection apparently can be succeeded by a symptomatic second infection. It does appear to be the case, though, that the Delta variant is more virulent (not just more infectious) than the version that was circulating in 2020. --Bob

Bob Juch

#74 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:09 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:23 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:17 pm
Bob78164 wrote:

That's what this study seems to indicate. Small sample size warnings are appropriate.

As for the test you suggest, as far as I know, the only present way to get that information about someone is for them to get infected. And even then, an asymptomatic first infection apparently can be succeeded by a symptomatic second infection. It does appear to be the case, though, that the Delta variant is more virulent (not just more infectious) than the version that was circulating in 2020. --Bob
Now we need to worry about the mu variant. https://www.foxnews.com/health/covid-19 ... -49-states
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#75 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:15 pm

Italy has made vaccinations mandatory.

I'm seeing a friend, Peter Rowan, perform on Sunday at Club Congress. All music venues in Pima County require proof of vaccination and masks.