Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#101 Post by Estonut » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:41 pm

Vandal wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:36 am
New "Jeopardy!" host Mike Richards is apologizing for some insensitive remarks he made about women on his old podcast ... he says it's "a terribly embarrassing moment of misjudgment."

Here's the deal ... Mike used to host a podcast from 2013 to 2014 when he was the executive producer at "The Price Is Right" and he's now under fire for referring to his female co-host as a "booth ho" and "booth slut," among other degrading remarks aimed at women.

The podcast, called "The Randumb Show," has already been scrubbed from the Internet after The Ringer reported on Mike's derogatory comments, which also include him asking his female co-host and his assistant if they had ever taken "booby pictures," during a segment about leaked celebrity nudes.

Mike's apologizing in a statement, via Sony, telling us ... "It is humbling to confront a terribly embarrassing moment of misjudgment, thoughtlessness, and insensitivity from nearly a decade ago. Looking back now, there is no excuse, of course, for the comments I made on this podcast and I am deeply sorry."

He adds ... "The podcast was intended to be a series of irreverent conversations between longtime friends who had a history of joking around. Even with the passage of time, it’s more than clear that my attempts to be funny and provocative were not acceptable, and I have removed the episodes."

https://www.tmz.com/2021/08/18/jeopardy ... e-remarks/
I suppose he could have matured greatly since he was 38...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Vandal
Director of Promos

#102 Post by Vandal » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:33 am

Adios, Mike:

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

silverscreenselect

#103 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:51 am

The show had already started taping the new season yesterday, which means that several episodes featuring returning 18-day-champion Matt Amodio are already in the can and will presumably air as scheduled when the new season starts. Today's scheduled tapings have been canceled.

For now, Richards continues as executive producer, but that position may be "in jeopardy" also. It's telling that the name of his podcast that got him in so much trouble was The Randumb Show, which pretty much sums up this entire host selection process.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#104 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:06 am

Cut the crap and give it to Mr. Burton already.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

BackInTex

#105 Post by BackInTex » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:16 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:06 am
Why? Did you really think he was better than the other alternatives?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

earendel

#106 Post by earendel » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:45 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:16 am
T_Bone0806 wrote:
Some have suggested that Burton's appearances were sabotaged - he wasn't given the same amount of time to prepare as the others. That said, I don't think he did a great job. My choices, in no particular order, would be David Faber, Robin Roberts, Savannah Guthrie, Ken Jennings and Mayim Bialik.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob Juch

#107 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:56 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:
He got the worst ratings of any guest host.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#108 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:00 pm

earendel wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:45 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:16 am
T_Bone0806 wrote:
Some have suggested that Burton's appearances were sabotaged - he wasn't given the same amount of time to prepare as the others. That said, I don't think he did a great job. My choices, in no particular order, would be David Faber, Robin Roberts, Savannah Guthrie, Ken Jennings and Mayim Bialik.
Ken Jennings would probably be the best for ratings, but he's doing "The Chase" and has fuck-you money.

My choice is Anderson Cooper. He reminded me the most of Alex.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#109 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:46 pm

What's the cancel/woke culture cutoff/timeline?
Well, then

BackInTex

#110 Post by BackInTex » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:59 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:46 pm
Depends

Conservative (Kavanaugh) is about 40 years.

Liberal (Biden, Clinton) is about 40days.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#111 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:41 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:59 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:46 pm
Depends

Conservative (Kavanaugh) is about 40 years.

Liberal (Biden, Clinton) is about 40days.
Ah. Yes
Well, then

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#112 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:48 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:56 pm
T_Bone0806 wrote:
Yes, and apparently also has been getting a lot of support via social media. Go figure.

As to why I offered my opinion, I just like him...and he has a well known affection for the show. No reasons other than that. I also liked Robin Roberts, Ken Jennings and Mayim Bialik. I found most of the guest hosts serviceable at worst. But really, the star is the game itself. Trebek knew that.

Apparently I ruffled the feathers of a few of you intellectuals with my pedestrian opinion. My apologies. :P
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

silverscreenselect

#113 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:15 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:48 am
Bob Juch wrote:
T_Bone0806 wrote:
Yes, and apparently also has been getting a lot of support via social media. Go figure.

As to why I offered my opinion, I just like him...and he has a well known affection for the show. No reasons other than that. I also liked Robin Roberts, Ken Jennings and Mayim Bialik. I found most of the guest hosts serviceable at worst. But really, the star is the game itself. Trebek knew that.

Apparently I ruffled the feathers of a few of you intellectuals with my pedestrian opinion. My apologies. :P
The biggest problem I had with Burton was his age. I think Jeopardy wants someone who is in this for the long run. Alex Trebek was 44 when he started hosting Jeopardy.

As far as claims about Burton's low ratings, his shows aired during the Olympics. Many local stations aired his shows at inconvenient hours, and even when it aired at the regular time, it was opposite much stronger competition than usua.

triviawayne

#114 Post by triviawayne » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:35 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
T_Bone0806 wrote:
Yet those very supporters on social media failed to support him when their dream candidate was hosting.

I get the love for him, I like him too, but he was among the worst of all the hosts; and by that I mean the job done at the podium and the interviews, not who they are as people.

BackInTex

#115 Post by BackInTex » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:41 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
T_Bone0806 wrote:

The support he needs is from ratings, folks who actually will watch the show.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#116 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:38 am

BackInTex wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:41 am
The support he needs is from ratings, folks who actually will watch the show.
Not to be pro- or anti-Burton, but it's not really a fair metric to compare his ratings during the Olympic Games with other hosts with regular programming opposite them. Here in Atlanta, Jeopardy was bumped from the NBC station to an obscure independent station that we don't even get (and was up against prime time Olympic coverage). Other markets broadcast his episodes during the middle of the night.

silverscreenselect

#117 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:05 pm

Mayim Bialik will be the next guest host on Jeopardy, hosting the shows that are taping this week. Normally, they tape two weeks of shows at a time, but because one of the days got canceled last week after Mike Richards resigned, they will tape three weeks of shows this week. (Richards did tape the first week of the new season before his resignation.) The show is expected to announce additional guest hosts as well. According to sources at the show, Mike Richards no longer has any input into the selection process, and Bialkik is being considered as the permanent host.

I wouldn't take this to mean that she's the favorite. She may just have been the only person who could free up a schedule on short notice to do the tapings this week. The biggest problem Bialik faces is that she is locked into her Fox comedy, Call Me Kat, which would preclude her from hosting the daytime show on a fulltime basis this year. Ken Jennings is supposedly also in the running. Neither of the two articles I read mentioned Levar Burton.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/23/media/ma ... index.html

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#118 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:36 am

Come on, Ken!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

BackInTex

#119 Post by BackInTex » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:12 pm

When does the new season start?

For the record, I'm good with either Ken or Mayim. I don't have a preference of one over the other.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#120 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:35 am

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:12 pm

For the record, I'm good with either Ken or Mayim. I don't have a preference of one over the other.
The new Jeopardy season starts September 13. Mike Richards hosts the first week of shows, and Mayim Bialik hosts the next three weeks. No decision yet on who hosts after that.

Also, according to a poll of Jeopardy viewers taken after Mike Richards resigned, LeVar Burton is still the viewer favorite, with 17% wanting him as the next host, followed by Ken Jennings at 14% and Mayim Bialik at 13%. These numbers are practically unchanged since a poll taken before the resignation. Aaron Rodgers is next at 8% with others trailing. Interestingly, 4% still want Richards as host, the same number who want TOC host Buzzy Cohen.

https://morningconsult.com/2021/08/24/j ... ll-burton/

tlynn78

#121 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:56 am

BackInTex wrote:

Same - to be honest, I expected not to like Mayim as a host (thought I'd be unable to separate her from "Amy") but she surprised me. Could. not. stand. Katie. Admittedly didn't watch her entire run, but what I did see, it seemed she tried to relate every answer/question back to herself. Insufferable.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

BackInTex

#122 Post by BackInTex » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:32 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:56 am
BackInTex wrote:

Same - to be honest, I expected not to like Mayim as a host (thought I'd be unable to separate her from "Amy") but she surprised me. Could. not. stand. Katie. Admittedly didn't watch her entire run, but what I did see, it seemed she tried to relate every answer/question back to herself. Insufferable.
Two things surprised me.
1) I was not favorable to Buzzy's stint. I was expecting it to be better. Can't put my finger on it, but there was something there that shouldn't have been.
2) I like Joe Buck when he was hosting. And yes, I'm seeking help for this.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#123 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:17 am

I'm still pushing for Brad Rutter. The problem is that, like Ken Jennings, he has a contract with The Chase. Also, both of them don't really need the money.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#124 Post by Estonut » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:21 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:35 am
BackInTex wrote:

The new Jeopardy season starts September 13. Mike Richards hosts the first week of shows, and Mayim Bialik hosts the next three weeks. No decision yet on who hosts after that.

Also, according to a poll of Jeopardy viewers taken after Mike Richards resigned, LeVar Burton is still the viewer favorite, with 17% wanting him as the next host, followed by Ken Jennings at 14% and Mayim Bialik at 13%. These numbers are practically unchanged since a poll taken before the resignation. Aaron Rodgers is next at 8% with others trailing. Interestingly, 4% still want Richards as host, the same number who want TOC host Buzzy Cohen.

https://morningconsult.com/2021/08/24/j ... ll-burton/
Did you look at this poll? These ARE NOT J! viewers, for the most part.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

triviawayne

#125 Post by triviawayne » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:53 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:17 am
I'm still pushing for Brad Rutter. The problem is that, like Ken Jennings, he has a contract with The Chase. Also, both of them don't really need the money.
needing the money is a requirement to host a game show?

I'M SO READY!!!!!!!!!!!!!