If you have an upcoming car rental...

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SpacemanSpiff

If you have an upcoming car rental...

#1 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:43 am

... you might want to double check the pricing, especially with Hertz.

I learned through a Disney fan-related website that Hertz, who had a longstanding special rate with this group, has basically yanked the promised discounting pricing out of existing reservations and adjusted them upward without warning.

I have two future ones (one with Alamo in October, one with Budget over New Years) and double checked, and they appear to be ok - for now. But, considering there are only really three major car rental consortiums left (Enterprise/National/Alamo, Hertz/Thrifty/Dollar, and Avis/Budget), I fear that once one starts doing something, the others will follow suit.

This isn't a small thing -- the current market rate for my October rental is roughly double what I booked it for, and the New Years' one is about 25% higher currently.

Just keep an eye on things, folks.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

Ritterskoop

Re: If you have an upcoming car rental...

#2 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:01 pm

Drivers didn't lease new cars last summer because they were not on the road as much, so the fleet of newish used cars that forms the rental corps was decimated.

But i didn't think they would raise prices once you'd made a reservation. That defeats the purpose of a reservation.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

SpacemanSpiff

#3 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:18 am

And, of course, whenever there is a scarcity, the scammers come out:

https://www.al.com/news/2021/07/rental- ... arcer.html

The article was originally from the Orlando Sentinel, but it's behind a paywall.

Here's all you need to know to realize it's a scam (and, BTW, never prepay for a car rental; it's difficult to get money back at best, and it limits your flexibility).
Looking to take advantage of record-high prices, fake websites are popping up, offering rental cars for cheap. The sites then ask the buyer to use a gift card or pre-paid debit card to pay for the vehicle.
Yep, the old "prepaid / gift card" trick. As soon as someone trots that out, run away from it.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

SpacemanSpiff

#4 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:38 am

Now I've hit an interesting snag with one of the rentals.

The airline for our New Year's Florida trip emailed me yesterday, saying the flights have changed their times slightly; simply put, they are moved back an hour. No real problem, get to the beach an hour earlier.

But then I tried to change the pickup time with my primary rental (Budget). Apparently they treat a time change as a brand new rental (I don't recall this being a problem in the past, but I might have just been inobservant). This caused my four-day rental to jump by 60%. Mrs. Spiff and I just decided we'll keep the current setup and wait the extra hour (or just show up a half hour early to the Budget county) and live with it.

It's just crazy right now in the world of car rental. Pay attention to every detail on these things, folks!

tlynn78

#5 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:37 am

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:38 am
Now I've hit an interesting snag with one of the rentals.

The airline for our New Year's Florida trip emailed me yesterday, saying the flights have changed their times slightly; simply put, they are moved back an hour. No real problem, get to the beach an hour earlier.

But then I tried to change the pickup time with my primary rental (Budget). Apparently they treat a time change as a brand new rental (I don't recall this being a problem in the past, but I might have just been inobservant). This caused my four-day rental to jump by 60%. Mrs. Spiff and I just decided we'll keep the current setup and wait the extra hour (or just show up a half hour early to the Budget county) and live with it.

It's just crazy right now in the world of car rental. Pay attention to every detail on these things, folks!
Sadly, not limited to car rentals. People be trippin'.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:37 pm

I got this via email today:

Club 1 Hotels offers free direct access to wholesale car rental rates that are up to 60% off at over 142,000 global locations and 800+ car rental partners, including Hertz, Avis, Budget, and more. Their extensive portfolio of vehicles ranges from budget to premium and everything in between. Plus, members also have access to wholesale rates at over 1.5 million hotels and resorts.

Their site is at https://www.club1hotels.com/likemind

I don't intend to need an auto rental, but this might aid those here who do.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#7 Post by BackInTex » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:18 pm

Trying to re-plan last year's postponed then cancelled Hawaii trip. Avis has no availability and all other are around $200/day for a compact on Kauai. I can pre-pay and say a few hundred but I'm nor pre-paying something I may not get to use (should Hawaii close again).
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#8 Post by Estonut » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:06 am

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:18 pm
Trying to re-plan last year's postponed then cancelled Hawaii trip. Avis has no availability and all other are around $200/day for a compact on Kauai. I can pre-pay and say a few hundred but I'm nor pre-paying something I may not get to use (should Hawaii close again).
What about a campervan? Then you have an additional option if lodging plans get screwed up.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:51 am

BackInTex wrote:
Trying to re-plan last year's postponed then canceled Hawaii trip. Avis has no availability and all other are around $200/day for a compact on Kauai. I can pre-pay and say a few hundred but I'm not pre-paying something I may not get to use (should Hawaii close again).
I read that due to the shortage of rental cars, people have been renting U-Haul trucks. :shock:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Pastor Fireball

#10 Post by Pastor Fireball » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:23 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:51 am
BackInTex wrote:
Trying to re-plan last year's postponed then canceled Hawaii trip. Avis has no availability and all other are around $200/day for a compact on Kauai. I can pre-pay and say a few hundred but I'm not pre-paying something I may not get to use (should Hawaii close again).
I read that due to the shortage of rental cars, people have been renting U-Haul trucks. :shock:
And you know U-Haul's motto: "No experience driving a large truck? Good luck!"
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

jarnon

#11 Post by jarnon » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:00 pm

I always use Enterprise if possible. Good service and cheaper than the other companies. I'm now in a small town in Illinois and rented a car for two weeks. I planned to pick it up Wednesday morning but was delayed till Thursday just before closing. So I asked them to deduct one day's charge, and they took off two days. I also asked if I could keep the car a few days longer and return it in Pennsylvania. No problem - their rate with the drop-off charge is less than their competitors' for a local rental.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי