Kamala Watch

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Re: Kamala Watch

#26 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:56 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:35 pm
Sure, you've been doing stuff but not what needed to be done now.
I'm curious as to what, in BiT's expert opinion. needed to be done now that Biden/Harris aren't doing.

The big majority of arriving immigrants are being turned back. We are taking steps to discourage others from coming and to improve conditions in their homelands. Unaccompanied children and asylum seekers are being processed much more quickly than three months ago. And contrary to what some people would lead you to believe, the people who live and work near the border aren't in constant terror of rapists and drug smugglers.

This is part of a trend on the right to label everything Biden does as a disaster that's doing nothing to solve some ill-defined claimed crisis that's either something that's been around for years or something that Biden has no control over or something that they gave Trump a free pass for four years. Case in point is how the right wingers claimed that Biden knuckled under to Putin after four years of Trump carrying Putin's water.

If you would like to cite specific things that Biden/Harris haven't done or have done wrong that's caused a crisis, please do. Not taking a photo op trip to the border isn't one of them.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#27 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:54 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:56 pm
BackInTex wrote:
I'm curious as to what, in BiT's expert opinion. needed to be done now that Biden/Harris aren't doing.

The big majority of arriving immigrants are being turned back. We are taking steps to discourage others from coming and to improve conditions in their homelands. Unaccompanied children and asylum seekers are being processed much more quickly than three months ago. And contrary to what some people would lead you to believe, the people who live and work near the border aren't in constant terror of rapists and drug smugglers.

This is part of a trend on the right to label everything Biden does as a disaster that's doing nothing to solve some ill-defined claimed crisis that's either something that's been around for years or something that Biden has no control over or something that they gave Trump a free pass for four years. Case in point is how the right wingers claimed that Biden knuckled under to Putin after four years of Trump carrying Putin's water.

If you would like to cite specific things that Biden/Harris haven't done or have done wrong that's caused a crisis, please do. Not taking a photo op trip to the border isn't one of them.
I think it's the same ole same ole. No one is ever going to fix this problem. It's all optics for whomever is in power.
Biden can't carry his own water without an assistant.
Well, then

BackInTex

#28 Post by BackInTex » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:53 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:54 pm
BackInTex wrote:

I think it's the same ole same ole. No one is ever going to fix this problem. It's all optics for whomever is in power.
Biden can't carry his own water without an assistant.
Optics from a safe apartment in Atlanta, GA, from someone who's been afraid to venture out in public for almost a year (until most recently).

Telling folks "Sorry folks, park's closed" doesn't work when the rewards are still there. Go back and watch Vacation again.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#29 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:16 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:53 pm

Optics from a safe apartment in Atlanta, GA, from someone who's been afraid to venture out in public for almost a year (until most recently).

Telling folks "Sorry folks, park's closed" doesn't work when the rewards are still there. Go back and watch Vacation again.
So, other than a swipe at me for not choosing to follow in Herman Cain's footsteps, another non-answer from BiT.

BackInTex

#30 Post by BackInTex » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:31 pm

Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:16 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:53 pm

So, other than a swipe at me for not choosing to follow in Herman Cain's footsteps, another non-answer from BiT.
Not a non-answer. Read the entire response.

But I guess I do see why you believe you do. You get your news, or lack thereof, from CNN and MSNBC, maybe even PBS.

Google " Henry Cuellar letter to Harris". Fox has it. Several local stations have it. CNN? MSNBC? PBS? Not so much. Henry Cuellar for those who don't know is a Democrat, a liberal one. But unlike SSS he's at ground zero. Not in a safe apartment 1,000s of miles away.

As far as the swipe goes, yes, if you feared being in the less than 1%, then it fits. But the swipe is more for not following in mine, or Spock's, or any of the hundreds of millions who didn't get die, or even get sick, but choose to cower and wait for the "all safe" from some guy who's flip-flopped on what to do from day 1. And the swipe was given only because of your elitist attitude about the border from which you have zero perspective, other than what you're fed from the DNC media outlets. You don't give a shit about the folks in South Texas, the migrants dying to get here or the Central American families that entrust their children to some of the worst the human race has to offer. You're just worried about your continued checks from the government.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#31 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:13 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:31 pm
Google " Henry Cuellar letter to Harris". Fox has it. Several local stations have it. CNN? MSNBC? PBS? Not so much. Henry Cuellar for those who don't know is a Democrat, a liberal one. But unlike SSS he's at ground zero. Not in a safe apartment 1,000s of miles away.
Henry Cuellar wrote:According to Rep. Cuellar, the issue at the border is a humanitarian crisis, not a security crisis. “If you look at the latest FBI stats, you will see that Laredo ... is safer than where I'm at right now, and that's Washington, D.C.,” said Rep. Cuellar.
I'm aware of what Rep. Cuellar said. Donald Trump took seven trips to the border during his Presidency. That didn't do a whole lot of good other than to placate his supporters with some tough talk about bad hombres.

The vast majority of those arriving at the border are not getting into the country. Of those who are getting in, most of them are unaccompanied minors.

So far, all I've gotten out of BiT is that Harris hasn't visited the border in person. Not anything else that he feels Biden/Harris aren't doing that they should.

I do get the bulk of my information from the overwhelming majority of reputable news outlets in the country who actually report the news and don't engage in being Donald Trump mouthpieces.

You keep saying that I have no interest in these immigrants and then make some bizarre claim that their arrival at the border is somehow tied to what I'm guessing are my social security and Medicare benefits. If I thought that Kamala Harris going to the border would change this situation in any meaningful way, I'd be all for it. But this problem can't be fixed by photo ops. Biden/Harris are taking steps to alleviate the root causes of the immigration problem and to speed up the processing of those who still arrive. The situation has improved since Biden took office and it will continue to improve.

silverscreenselect

#32 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:00 pm

BackInTex wrote:
But the swipe is more for not following in mine, or Spock's, or any of the hundreds of millions who didn't get die, or even get sick, but choose to cower and wait for the "all safe" from some guy who's flip-flopped on what to do from day 1.
We have never had a disease that killed as many people in the United States in this short a time. We still don't know what the long-term effects of COVID will be for those who "recovered" but there's already anecdotal evidence of relapses, So, I don't feel bad about listening to the best medical advice available in how to deal with the disease. It's also worth noting that most epidemiologists feel that the death rates in this country were as low as they were for a significant period of time because most people heeded that medical advice.

And I assume you're referring to Dr. Fauci as "some guy who's flip-flopped on what to do from day 1." That shows a complete ignorance of scientific methodology. You base medical advice on the best information you have available at the time and you are always ready to revise your opinions and advice as more evidence becomes available. This isn't a flip-flop; that's how science and medicine work. What we didn't know in the early days of the virus before there was widespread testing was that a large percentage of people with COVID were asymptomatic but were highly contagious. As that information became evident, Fauci and the entire reputable medical establishment changed their advice.

BackInTex

#33 Post by BackInTex » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:00 pm

Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:00 pm

And I assume you're referring to Dr. Fauci as "some guy who's flip-flopped on what to do from day 1." That shows a complete ignorance of scientific methodology. You base medical advice on the best information you have available at the time and you are always ready to revise your opinions and advice as more evidence becomes available. This isn't a flip-flop; that's how science and medicine work. What we didn't know in the early days of the virus before there was widespread testing was that a large percentage of people with COVID were asymptomatic but were highly contagious. As that information became evident, Fauci and the entire reputable medical establishment changed their advice.
Seriously, you need to either catch up on your scientific journals, quit watching CNN, or making stuff up. One or all.

There is no ignorance of the scientific methodology, unlike you ignorance or willful dismissal of human behavior and also logical thought.

Fauci knew asymptomatic transmission was very rare, if even at all. But he was giving politically motivated advice.

This is not hard to find if you look, or even care.

Emergin Infectious Diseases (from the CDC) Volume 27, Number 4—April 2021

Notice the date. it is as current at current can be.
We observed no transmission from asymptomatic case-patients
Conclusions
little to no transmission occurred from asymptomatic case-patients.
The fact that we did not detect any laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 transmission from asymptomatic case-patients is in line with multiple studies (
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#34 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:23 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:00 pm
Fauci knew asymptomatic transmission was very rare, if even at all. But he was giving politically motivated advice.

This is one study of 59 cases in Germany occurring in March 2020. Other studies contradict those findings.

SARS-CoV-2 Transmission From People Without COVID-19 Symptoms
Under baseline assumptions, approximately 59% of all transmission came from asymptomatic transmission: 35% from presymptomatic individuals and 24% from individuals who are never symptomatic
Asymptomatic Carriers May Play a Huge Part in COVID-19 Surge
The role of asymptomatic carriers continues to be explored in 2 recent studies in the American Journal of Infection Control. In 1 of the studies, investigators with the University of Louisville in Kentucky found that 37% of patients presenting at a hospital are asymptomatic carriers of SARS-CoV-2.2 “The proportion of asymptomatic patients admitted with SARS-CoV-2 was significant,” the authors conclude. “Identifying and isolating asymptomatic patients likely prevented exposure and development of hospital-acquired COVID-19 cases among health care workers and other patients, supporting the universal surveillance of all admitted patients.”

In the other study, investigators with Autonomous University of Zacatecas in Mexico found that “34 (42%) contacts in the study were positive for SARS-CoV-2. Twenty-three (67.6%) manifested less than 2 respiratory symptoms, and 5 (14.7%) remained asymptomatic…The average of positive contacts by index COVID-19 case (R0) was 4.3 and the mean of time of positive COVID-19 test at sampling time was 18.9 days. Positive antibody test against SARS-CoV-2 was observed in 16% of the participants.”3

In the University of Louisville study, investigators collected data from patients who had tested positive for COVID-19 and were admitted from April 9 to July 1, 2020, to UofL Health, an acute care hospital in Louisville. “All patients admitted to the hospital with positive SARS-CoV-2 RT-PCR tests were identified,” say the authors. “The patients who had COVID-19 symptoms on admission were analyzed separately from those who were asymptomatic.”

Of the 103 patients who tested positive for the coronavirus, 65 were symptomatic and 38 were asymptomatic. “The proportion of SARS-CoV-2 patients who were asymptomatic varied over the duration of the study, but trended up from 20% at the onset of the study period to 60% at the end,” the investigators write.
There's lots more where those came from. Admittedly, it's difficult to pinpoint the source of infections for many people, but what these studies reveal is that a lot of people contracted the disease from others who were not displaying symptoms, either pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic (which for mask-wearing and social distancing purposes are virtually the same thing). The overwhelmingly prevailing medical opinion since late spring of last year is that presymptomatic and asymptomatic individuals accounted for a substantial amount of disease spread.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#35 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:30 pm

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:13 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Henry Cuellar wrote:According to Rep. Cuellar, the issue at the border is a humanitarian crisis, not a security crisis. “If you look at the latest FBI stats, you will see that Laredo ... is safer than where I'm at right now, and that's Washington, D.C.,” said Rep. Cuellar.
I'm aware of what Rep. Cuellar said. Donald Trump took seven trips to the border during his Presidency. That didn't do a whole lot of good other than to placate his supporters with some tough talk about bad hombres.

The vast majority of those arriving at the border are not getting into the country. Of those who are getting in, most of them are unaccompanied minors.

So far, all I've gotten out of BiT is that Harris hasn't visited the border in person. Not anything else that he feels Biden/Harris aren't doing that they should.

I do get the bulk of my information from the overwhelming majority of reputable news outlets in the country who actually report the news and don't engage in being Donald Trump mouthpieces.

You keep saying that I have no interest in these immigrants and then make some bizarre claim that their arrival at the border is somehow tied to what I'm guessing are my social security and Medicare benefits. If I thought that Kamala Harris going to the border would change this situation in any meaningful way, I'd be all for it. But this problem can't be fixed by photo ops. Biden/Harris are taking steps to alleviate the root causes of the immigration problem and to speed up the processing of those who still arrive. The situation has improved since Biden took office and it will continue to improve.
Attempts to help root causes have been going on for a loooong time. Biden is not some societal, corporate savior. Please.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#36 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:37 pm

I posted the original optics response, so as not to confuse. However, doesn't remove the non response of Harris. This thread has gotten covid/immigration entangled.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#37 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:23 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:00 pm
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:00 pm

Seriously, you need to either catch up on your scientific journals, quit watching CNN, or making stuff up. One or all.

There is no ignorance of the scientific methodology, unlike you ignorance or willful dismissal of human behavior and also logical thought.

Emergin Infectious Diseases (from the CDC) Volume 27, Number 4—April 2021

Notice the date. it is as current at current can be.
We observed no transmission from asymptomatic case-patients
Conclusions
little to no transmission occurred from asymptomatic case-patients.
The fact that we did not detect any laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 transmission from asymptomatic case-patients is in line with multiple studies (
Just use some common sense. If asymptomatic and presymptomatic transmission weren’t happening with a fair amount of frequency, the disease wouldn’t have spread nearly as fast, particularly at the beginning.

That’s the same way I knew not to worry about casual outdoor exposure. If that were at all common, the disease would have spread a lot more quickly, like the measles does among an unvaccinated population. —Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#38 Post by BackInTex » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:03 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:23 pm
Just use some common sense. If asymptomatic and presymptomatic transmission weren’t happening with a fair amount of frequency, the disease wouldn’t have spread nearly as fast, particularly at the beginning.

That’s the same way I knew not to worry about casual outdoor exposure. If that were at all common, the disease would have spread a lot more quickly, like the measles does among an unvaccinated population. —Bob
I've coined a new term: A Fauciism.

However, a typical Fauciism would support both sides of an argument at different times.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#39 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:13 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:03 pm
However, a typical Fauciism would support both sides of an argument at different times.
Many scientists have "supported both sides of an argument at different times." That's how the scientific method works. Otherwise, scientists would still believe the earth was the center of the universe. Bob's statement makes sense. The disease spread far more rapidly than would occur if only obviously symptomatic individuals were contagious, but it didn't spread as fast as it could have if casual outdoor contact was likely to spread the disease.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#40 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:38 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:03 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:23 pm

I've coined a new term: A Fauciism.

We had a pretty decent idea by spring 2020 how fast it was spreading. Faster than leprosy; not as fast as the measles. I get that you prefer extremes to nuance, but that's often not how the real world works. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#41 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:14 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:38 pm
I get that you prefer extremes to nuance, but that's often not how the real world works. --Bob
What BiT and others on the right prefer is "science" that confirms their political beliefs.

earendel

#42 Post by earendel » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:21 pm

To return this to the original theme, Vice President Harris is heading to the border, according to the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... it-border/

"Harris will travel with Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas to El Paso, according to three people familiar with the trip, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a trip that is not yet public."
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Estonut
Evil Genius

#43 Post by Estonut » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:22 am

earendel wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:21 pm
To return this to the original theme, Vice President Harris is heading to the border, according to the Washington Post.

"Harris will travel with Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas to El Paso, according to three people familiar with the trip, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a trip that is not yet public."
So it would no longer be grandstanding? I can't keep track. It wasn't, then was, now isn't?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#44 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:41 am

Estonut wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:22 am
So it would no longer be grandstanding? I can't keep track. It wasn't, then was, now isn't?
Typical right-wing response. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

silverscreenselect

#45 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:41 am

Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:41 am
Estonut wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:22 am
Typical right-wing response. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.) objected to a vote to unanimously confirm Jen Easterly as CISA [Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency] director, arguing that Vice President Harris must visit the U.S.-Mexico border before any nominees for DHS posts get confirmed in such an expedited manner. Harris plans to visit the border on Friday. This isn’t about Ms. Easterly. This isn’t about cybersecurity,” Scott said, later arguing in a statement that “the American people deserve better than just another political stunt.”
Grandstanding and political stunts are still SOP for the Republican Party.

BackInTex

#46 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:46 am

earendel wrote:

Apparently she's going to El Paso, but not the Rio Grand Valley. My prediction is she will show how El Paso's problems have improved in the last 12 months, then declare victory and leave. The reality is the attack on our border has shifted away from El Paso. It's still happening. No "mission accomplished".

I do hope she does change the itinerary.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#47 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:13 am

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:46 am
earendel wrote:

Apparently she's going to El Paso, but not the Rio Grand Valley. My prediction is she will show how El Paso's problems have improved in the last 12 months, then declare victory and leave. The reality is the attack on our border has shifted away from El Paso. It's still happening. No "mission accomplished".

I do hope she does change the itinerary.
I wish she'd go to Nogales to be shown the problems the Wall has caused.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#48 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:09 am

BackInTex wrote:
The reality is the attack on our border has shifted away from El Paso. It's still happening.
I must have missed the angry mob storming the border and clubbing police and spraying chemicals in their faces.

BackInTex

#49 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:55 pm

Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:09 am
BackInTex wrote:
The reality is the attack on our border has shifted away from El Paso. It's still happening.
I must have missed the angry mob storming the border and clubbing police and spraying chemicals in their faces.
You should come out of your basement more often, and watch real news. We've had lots of incidents where border patrol agents have been fired upon, and even shot, by coyotes and cartel types.

You can go back to sticking your head in the sand (or wherever you stick it).
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#50 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:31 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:55 pm
You should come out of your basement more often, and watch real news. We've had lots of incidents where border patrol agents have been fired upon, and even shot, by coyotes and cartel types. You can go back to sticking your head in the sand (or wherever you stick it).
You should know by now that by replaying the same footage of a single incident 100 times (as Fox News is prone to do), it isn't magically transformed into 100 incidents. That's what they did with the shots of looting and burning last summer trying to make people believe that major cities became months-long nighttime combat zones. So, I looked up actual statistics from the Customs and Border Patrol. Keep in mind that the federal fiscal year begins on October 1, so that 2017 statistics include the last 3+ months of the Obama administration and those for 2021 include the last 3+ months of the Trump administration but don't include figures for June - Sept. These figures reflect total incidents, not the number of people involved, so that if three people throw rocks at officers, that's considered one incident.

Here's what we get.

Total Assaults on Officers (all types of force from physical assault to firearms)

FY 2017 370
FY 2018 455
FY 2019 487
FY 2020 415
FY 2021 298 (to June 2)

The vast majority of these assaults are physical assaults. Use of firearms against officers is extremely rare.

FY 2017 11
FY 2018 15
FY 2019 9
FY 2020 8
FY 2021 4 (to June 2)

So, four people shooting at border patrol agents in eight months, almost half of which were during the Trump administration. I guess that qualifies as "lots of incidents" under Fox News logic.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/assaults-use-force