The Boney Awards For 2020

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

The Boney Awards For 2020

#1 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:53 am

Yes, 2020 was one crappy year. And music also suffered, with cancellation of live concerts, delays in some album releases,
and such. But there were some reasons to smile musically nonetheless. A Lot of it was as the result of home recordings,
and internet collaborations.

These are the Boney awards for my favorite songs of the year 2020.

We start off the countdown with a tribute to the two deceased members of Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

80. 21ST CENTURY SCHIZOID MAN-TODD RUNDGREN and BRIAN AUGER
Album: A Tribute To Keith Emerson and Greg Lake

From an album featuring various artists performing songs which featured Lake and/or Emerson. This one combines two songs
that were NOT from Emerson, Lake and Palmer but from the two bands they were in prior to ELP. The first is the scorched
earth King Crimson selection that had Lake on vocals and bass. It then morphs into the take on "America" from "West Side
Story" that Emerson recorded as a member of The Nice. A rousing way to kick off this countdown.

79. QUEEN OF THE HOLLYWOOD EXTRAS-The 1957 TAIL-FIN FIASCO
Album: The Harvard Tango

No stranger to my year-end lists, this Steely Dan inspired combo lands another entry for 2020. The Steely Dan
comparison is aided by the singer's eerie vocal similarity to the Dan's Donald Fagen.

78. ORDINARY MAN-OZZY OSBOURNE w/ELTON JOHN
Album: Ordinary Man

A strange combination perhaps, but it works. A strong and, dare I say, pretty and poignant power ballad.

77. SAVANNAH-JOE BONAMASSA
Album: Royal Tea

The kind of midtempo Southern Rock tune that you'd often hear on an Allman Brothers album.

76. YOU CAN'T HURT A FOOL-PRETENDERS
ALBUM: Hate For Sale

Simmering torch song with a brilliant, emotional Chrissie Hynde vocal.

75. LIFE ON MARS?-MORSE, PORTNOY, GEORGE
Album: Cov3r To Cov3r

From an album of cover tunes by the three progressive rock artists, this one is an updating of one of
my favorite David Bowie songs.

74. OUT TO SEA-DALLAS GREENE
Album: The Distance Between

Full disclosure: this is the daughter of a former bandmate. However, I am quite confident that she would occupy
both her spots on this countdown even if that were not the case. Excellent singer-songwriter stuff.

73. WHAT NOW-TEDDY THOMPSON
Album: Heartbreaker Please

His first of FOUR entries on this list. Classy, midtempo pop. Love his voice...I've been a fan for some time now.

72. LET HIM GO-KAI DANZBERG with DEAR STELLA
Album: Rockshow

Pure pop and proudly so, courtesy of this artist from Germany, assisted by the Austrian singer who goes by
the nom de plume Dear Stella. There's another version on the album with Danzberg alone called Let HER Go, but I much
prefer this one.

71. FADOODLE-THE LICKERISH QUARTET
Album: Threesome Vol. 1

This "quartet" is actually a trio, all former members of the short-lived but highly respected pop group Jellyfish.
This is very clever pop, similar to bands like 10cc and, if anyone remembers them, Sparks...with an occasional touch of
Queen when the harmonies kick into high gear. The lyrics on this one are a bit goofy, but the harmonies that answer
them are clever and amusing. This one grew on me.

70. NIGHTS ON BROADWAY-COKE BELDA
Album: Coke Belda 5: A Tribute To The Bee Gees Vol. 2

This remake doesn't stray too far from the original, except for a slightly more punched up sound and brighter
harmonies that sit up closer to the forefront. I like listening to this version, simply put.

69. WHY WAIT-TEDDY THOMPSON

A very cool soulful 60's R & B style number, complete with the horn section that sounds like it jumped straight
out of a Memphis recording session. Thompson's vocal is a little bit country, a little bit blue-eyed soul. Love this tune,
and yet there are two other songs on the album I love even more.

68. SONG FOR SAM COOKE (HERE IN AMERICA)-DION w/PAUL SIMON
Album: Blues With Friends

The 81 year-old hitmaker of the 50's and 60's still makes records, mostly in the blues genre. Here he is joined by
another Rock Hall of Fame member for an ode to a 3rd inductee. It explores the lunacy of being a huge star yet still being
relegated to "for whites only" restrictions, in the days where black entertainers would be booked to perform at fancy hotels
but have to hunt down a different place to sleep because they weren't allowed to stay at the very place they performed. As an
act on many multiracial tours, Dion saw a lot of this firsthand.

67. SOMETIMES-JIM TRAINOR
Album: Glass Half Full

The vocal makes this sounds a little like an Oasis track. In other words, melodic with a definite Beatleish vibe.

66. DIDN'T FIX ME-DAWES
Album: Good Luck With Whatever

This band has shown up often in my year-end countdowns. This track is a very emotional one. The lyrics describe the man's
search for quick and easy answers to overcome his pains, to discover that only time and a determination to take one step
at a time....and if you're lucky enough, someone who loves you warts and all, can eventually ease the hurt.

65. BURNED-KELLY JONES
Album: Big Dogs Die Young

California Pop. This was written as a response to a songwriter's club challenge to come up with the best song possible
about summer love using only two chords and lyrics that didn't rhyme. I think she did pretty well, personally.

I couldn't find a video for this one, so here's an audio link.

https://kellyjones77.bandcamp.com/track/burned

64. GHOSTS-BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
Album: Letter To You

If you don't care for The Boss, this won't convert you, as it touches the usual bases for
a Springsteen tune. If you like Bruuuuce, however, this one should appeal to you just fine.

63. RADIO CLOUD-RUSTON KELLY
Album: Shape & Destroy

Sweet, or more accurately, bittersweet melody with some country-ish flavoring.

62. LETTERS-DALLAS GREENE
Album: The Distance Between

Another one from the considerably talented daughter of an old bandmate of mine. A fiery takedown of a love
that done the narrator of the song wrong. Keeping it in the famiy, her brother Nevada plays bass on this track.

61. LET'S START OVER AGAIN-VANILLA
Album: Digital Track

Hoo Boy. This is a straight-up Paul McCartney inspired "silly love song". Simple, lovely innocence.

Entries 60-41 coming up next Thursday, April 8th.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: The Boney Awards For 2020

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:45 am

I LOVE THE BONEYS!

Time for only two today, meaning I really like the new format. I'll listen to all before next Thursday.

Thanks, T-Bone!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Ritterskoop

#3 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:50 pm

I have zero of these, and am eager to listen to them tomorrow during work. Thanks so much for keeping this tradition going - on Opening Day, no less!
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

kroxquo

#4 Post by kroxquo » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:30 am

The Boneys are one of my highlights of the year. As always, my personal music collection is sure to grow as fast as you post it.

As a side note - my first reaction when I saw the name Dallas Greene was 1) I didn't know the manager of the 1980 Phillies sang and B) I thought he died.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

Ritterskoop

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:02 pm

Observations:

Great start to the season!

I had no idea Joe Bonamassa was in the Suthren rock camp. Will be checking him out.

Love the guitar lead on the Life on Mars piece.

The Dawes video made me think of SouthPark.

Thanks again - looking forward to the rest!
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#6 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:19 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:02 pm

I had no idea Joe Bonamassa was in the Suthren rock camp. Will be checking him out.
He is mostly blues-rock but does venture into that Southern Rock genre on occasion like The Allman Brothers do. He is an exceptional guitarist who grew up about an hour away from where I live, in the Utica NY area. He was kind of a child prodigy and a few years ago, he started getting attention nationally, largely through a series of PBS specials.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#7 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:12 am

60. THE WORD-THE WEEKLINGS
Album: Jem Records Celebrates John Lennon

The Weeklings are no strangers to covering Beatles songs. They've been doing it for years,
from well known to the obscure, alongside Beatles-inspired originals. This reimagines the
Rubber Soul track in a very interesting way.

59. ISOLATION-JEFF BECK AND JOHNNY DEPP
Album: Non-Album Track

Yes, that Johnny Depp. He does the vocalizing, Hall of Fame guitarist Beck does the shredding
in this cover of John Lennon's intense Plastic Ono Band track. Very powerful stuff.

58. MAKES ME HAPPY-JON ANDERSON
Album: 1000 Hands

Fans of Anderson's work as the lead singer of Yes may not like this one, as is not remotely similar to
the progressive stylings of Yes. It is bright, sunny, cheerful...and quite catchy...pop with a capital P.

57. MAKER-ANJIMILE
Album: Giver Taker

Remember Tracy "Fast Car" Chapman? The voice of this Trans singer is quite similar. It's joined midway by
some beautiful rhythmic patterns that help build the song up quite nicely.

56. ANGELS-JOSH GROBAN
Album: Harmony

What countdown of mine would be complete without at least one big, sappy power ballad? Groban fills
that quota with this one. Sappy, yes, but I can't deny the appeal of the melody.

55. BIG MOUTH-A GIRL CALLED EDDY
Album: Been Around

A Girl Called Eddy is actually Erin Moran, born in New Jersey, now living in England. Her voice has elements of
Karen Carpenter, Aimee Mann, and Amy Grant. Her songs are jazzy, smoky and melancholy, with heavy Burt Bacharach,
Carole King and Carpenters influences. Late night mood music..darn good stuff.

54. FIND MY WAY-PAUL MCCARTNEY
Album: McCartney III

It's all Paul, recorded during "rockdown", and still pulling off his classic pop chops after close to 60 years of
making records.

53. CLUB ZERO-The Go-Gos
Album: non-album single track

The Go-Gos reunited to take part in the Showtime documentary that told the story of their rise and fall.
In the process, they recorded this track, their first in 19 years, which carries all of the elements of
the sound that made them popular in the first place.

52. A LITTLE RAIN-GREG POPE
Album: Wishing On A Dark Star

Lo-Fi Indie Power Pop artist with another wonderfully melodic number that exemplifies why I always look
forward to hearing any new music he releases.

51. CHANGE OF SEASONS-YOUR FRIEND JEBB w/Lisa Mychols and Tom Richards
Album: Digital Single

The appropriately titled song here is like a warm breeze coming out of a tough winter, an effect made even more so
by the typically appealing presence of the voice of Ms. Mychols, whose vocals are the equivalent of the
brightest, bluest sky you can imagine.

50. THREE CAMILLIAS-GOODMAN
Album: Goodman Versus The Nostalgia Machine

Propelled by Beatle inspired guitars and a melody and harmonies straight out of the sixties..with a violin passage
thrown in for good measure. I found that this pleasant little tune didn't want to leave my head after my first
listen...and I didn't mind that a bit.

49. LONG AS I CAN SEE THE LIGHT-THE ALBUM SHOW
Album: Best Of The Livestreams Volume 1

What's a hardworking group of musicians to do when a global pandemic prevents them from doing
shows in front of a live audience? For Michael Carpenter and some friends, what they do is
livestream in-studio concerts featuring tributes to artists like The Beatles, Tom Petty, Stevie Nicks,
Crowded House, and CCR. Much of the music is now available for purchase on the Bandcamp website. This is
from the CCR tribute episode and features the powerful vocal of Sophie Jones.

48. MAN WE WAS LONELY-KC BOWMAN
Album: An Indie All-Star Tribute To Paul McCartney

This fella will show up later in the countdown as part of a group project, but for now, here's his remake
of a tune from McCartney's first solo album, from 1970, fluffed up and punched up for 2020.

47. SEIZE THE DAY-PAUL MCCARTNEY
Album: McCartney III

Well, at #48 we had a cover of a McCartney song, next comes a song from the man himself. Lots here to
inspire recollections of a band he used to be in..and I don't mean Wings. Although there are brushstrokes
of them here as well.

46. PENNY LANE-JEFF LAKE AND CELLOPHANE FLOWERS
Album: Penny Lane

OK, so this makes 3 McCartney penned tunes in a row, this one from his Fab Four days. I love this band..their
concept sets them apart from other ones who spend the bulk of their time covering Beatlesongs. A singer/guitarist
fronting a string quartet. With very few exceptions, that's it. The unique, creative arrangements breathe new life into songs we've heard
many many times. This entry is a prime example. I especially get a kick out of the violin taking the place of
the piccolo trumpet on the solo passage.

45. SMOKE-JESS WILLIAMSON
Album: Sorceress

Texas singer-songwriter. This songs starts off quiet and builds in intensity along the way. Sounds like something
that would be played in a movie scene where a character is driving off on a destiny-seeking journey, leaving
behind more and more memories with each mile.

44. NEVER-KANSAS
Album: The Absence Of Presence

Yes, this band which came to prominence in the 70's, is still around and making new music,
even though only two original members, drummer Phil Ehart and guitarist Rich Williams, remain in
the lineup. And although other tracks on the album are more in line with their signature sound,
this power ballad stuck with me more than any other. It's no "Carry On Wayward Son", but it'll do.

43. BABY ONE MORE TIME-MICHAEL CARPENTER
Album: Non-Album Digital Track Only

In the midst of the pandemic, Carpenter kept busy by doing a lot of little homespun projects,
including a trio of covers that took big teen pop hits and applying a fresh, imaginative coat
of paint to them. This song has been covered before, in fact, one such cover version appeared on my
list just last year. but Carpenter packs so much punch into his version of Britney's little ditty that
it just had to have a spot on this one. We'll hear another one of his quarantined reworkings later in the countdown.

42. I THINK WE'RE ALONE NOW-BILLIE JO ARMSTRONG
Album: No Fun Mondays

From another pandemic project, an album of covers, this one from the Green Day frontman, comes an
update of the Tommy James and The Shondells hit from the 60's. This version is punked up and rowdy. I would like to
take this opportunity to point out that I had the idea to do this in the band I was in 40 years ago.
And our version was twice as loud and twice as fast. But seeing as how Armstrong was all of 8 years old
and living in California when we were doing this, I don't think he stole the idea from us..so I'll let it slide.
And heck, he does do it really well.

41. THE LIVING ROOM-THE LIVING ROOM
Album: The Living Room EP

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but here's another made-at-home pandemic recording, featuring
a couple of members of Collective Soul, including vocalist Ed Roland. If you like that band, I suspect
you will like this. There's also a lot of ELO in this track's DNA. Skip to around 6:33 in the video to
hear the song, unless you want to hear the whole EP.

"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#8 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:27 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:12 am
56. ANGELS-JOSH GROBAN
Album: Harmony

What countdown of mine would be complete without at least one big, sappy power ballad? Groban fills
that quota with this one. Sappy, yes, but I can't deny the appeal of the melody.

When I saw the title, I was hoping it was the song I knew... and wasn't disappointed!

Not the Josh Groban version, though I admit it was pretty good. Robbie Williams did a version (maybe the original?) about 20 years ago that was a huge Mecca earworm of the early 2000's. Not sure if you're familiar with it since Williams was boy bandish (Take That), but hearing it again certainly took me back to a simpler time...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#9 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:13 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:27 am

Not the Josh Groban version, though I admit it was pretty good. Robbie Williams did a version (maybe the original?) about 20 years ago that was a huge Mecca earworm of the early 2000's. Not sure if you're familiar with it since Williams was boy bandish (Take That), but hearing it again certainly took me back to a simpler time...

lb13
No, I've never heard it before. If I had, it would've been occupying a spot on my iPod as we speak. I quite like it.

And he gets extra points because he co-wrote it, I see.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Ritterskoop

#10 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:03 am

I bought A TON of Robbie Williams back in the day. Also liked Take That, and had an album by Gary Barlow. I'm a sucker for great harmony, hence, many boy bands.

I will listen to this next edition this afternoon during work, thanks again TBone!
--------

Ritterskoop

#11 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:58 pm

Wow, Billie Joe Armstrong HAD to cover that song!

I will be buying that one and "Change of Seasons". Great set.
--------

kroxquo

#12 Post by kroxquo » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:29 pm

There is some great stuff here!

Some thoughts on some of the tracks:
Apart from my confusing her with the manager of the 1980 Phillies, I love Dallas Greene's sound. I hope there is more in the rest of the countdown

I'm going to be humming Fadoodle for weeks - damn you :lol:

Dion's song is heart breaking, but is great to see and hear that he is still recording

Where the hell did Johnny Depp (!!) get that performance?

The Go-Gos can STILL BRING IT!

You are right - Lisa Mychols voice could bring sunshine to a hurricane

And you are not kidding about Sophie Jones having a powerful voice

I love the Penny Lane arrangement

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#13 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:57 am

To the Top 40 we go....

40. FOREVER AND EVER-BOB OF THE POPS
Album: Bob Of The Pops Vol. 5

A remake of a Number 1 song from 1976 by the group Slik. If you don't remember the song or the group,
not to fret...it just means you didn't live in England or Ireland at the time, which is where it topped the charts.
It's a sentimental little tune which, in its original incarnation sounded like something out of the Bay City
Rollers. Not surprising, since the guys who wrote this song also wrote a number of songs for the Rollers. This cover
version is a sweet bit of ear candy. One interesting side note: the lead vocal on the original Slik recording was
by Midge Ure, who later would lead the decidedly different New Wave band Ultravox.

No video available. Here's an audio link:

https://boryngbison.bandcamp.com/track/ ... in-coulter

39. ONCEINAWORLD-THE OVERTURES
Album: Onceinaworld

Apparently the title of their song and album have issues with personal space, but this is a wonderful nod
to the sound of the early Beatles. A cool trip back to those British Invasion days.

38. WHEN YOU WALK IN THE ROOM-DAVE KUCHLER
Album: It's Pronounced...

This Jackie DeShannon composed song must have been covered a thousand times by now, but there's always
room for one more when it's this good. The drumming really powers this version.

37. WANDERING EYES-KURT BAKER
Album: After Party

Pure, joyful rock 'n roll with a huge earworm of a chorus.

36. THE BUZZ-PRETENDERS
Album: Hate For Sale

This has the signature sound of The Pretenders all over it. This would not have been out of place on their
classic debut album.

35. LETTING GO OF ARROWS-Brian Bringelson
Album: Desperate Days

Bringelson channels another Brian here, that Brian being Mr. Wilson, architect of the Beach Boys' sound.
That sound is all over this track, with its melt in your ears vocal harmony. Gorgeous.

34. THE ACCEPTED TIME-THE CORNER LAUGHERS
Album: Temescal Telegraph

Sweet sounding light pop with some interesting chord changes. The group includes Karla Kane and KC Bowman,
who have been making solo records for some time as well. In fact, we heard from Bowman earlier in the countdown
with his remake of a Paul McCartney song.

33. SECOND TO LAST-RENO BO
Album: You Can See It All Fom Here

This artist has become a regular on my lists. His influences seem to come from many different sources,
depending on the song, but they all have a strong sense of melody in common. This gently
rolling number is no exception.

32. SEASONS OF LOVE-PENTATONIX
Album: We Need A Little Christmas

Not a Christmas song, really, although this comes from the a capella group's latest holiday album.
This is their take on the big number from the Broadway musical "Rent". I continue to be impressed by
this group's talent and vocal arrangements.

31. SPOTLIGHT SMILE-OPEN SOUND
Album: Open Sound

A duo, one of whom is Fernando Perdomo, who has shown up in my countdowns past in various incarnations, landing
here with an easygoing Power Pop gem. In this one I get an early 70's vibe, as in Badfinger/early Todd Rundgren.

30. BEEN AROUND-A GIRL CALLED EDDY
Album: Been Around

OK, stay with me here...imagine Amy Grant singing the type of song Burt Bacharach and Hal David used to write for
Dionne Warwick, with a strong mellow jazz influence. That's what I'm feeling here..and I LIKE it!

29. GRIDLOCK-BUTCH WALKER
Album: American Love Story

Walker has gone from leading the Power Pop/Glam Rock band Marvelous 3 to writing and producing for some pretty
mainstream artists, while still releasing his own material. He looks like the stereotypical biker, and a lot of
his lyrics are not suitable for little ears or your workplace, but the pop hooks are very strong, which is why artists
from P!nk, Avril Lavigne and Taylor Swift to Green Day, Fall Out Boy and Panic! At The Disco have worked with him.

28. THE STEPS-HAIM
Album: Women In Music Part III

The three sisters in Haim build this song over an insistent and catchy little groove. You'll probably hear a bit
of Sheryl Crow in this one. Nice guitars and vocal harmonies, too.

27. THESE DAZE-CHRIS CHURCH
Album: Backwards Compatible

He's from North Carolina but his sound is more Midwest meat and potatoes pop-rock than Southern Rock. However
you want to categorize it, it's solid and enjoyable.

26. NOW AND FOREVER-MONOGROOVE
Album: There's Something Here

What a sweet, lovely little tune. Sometimes simplicity is the best course to take. I suspect that if more
people knew this song, it would certainly rank high in the "they're playing our song" category.

25. LONELY EVERYWHERE-THE LEES OF MEMORY
Album: Moon Shot

A hippie, trippy flashback to the late 60's is the vibe I get here. Lots of ooeygooey harmonies to melt into!

24. MUST BE ON MY WAY-Zach Jones
Album: Be Nice! (The Singles Collection Vol. 1)

This sounds so much like it could be a lost track by The Monkees it's uncanny. I can SO hear Micky Dolenz singing this.

23. TAKE COVER-RENO BO
Album: You Can See It All From Here

Constructed over an 80's styled arrangement, with instrumentation to match, I could easily imagine this one
all over the radio dial 35-40 years ago.

22. WHAT'S THE MEANING OF LOVE?-DEAR STELLA
Album: Time Zones

We heard from her in a duet at #72, now we get her on her own in this entry. To be honest, this song isn't all
that special at first. But when we get to the chorus...pure pop heaven.

21. SUGAR PLUM LUCY-JEFF LAKE AND CELLOPHANE FLOWERS
Album: Penny Lane

What happens when you mix Psychedelic Beatles with Tchaikovsky?

This.

My Top 20 songs of 2020 will be revealed next Thursday, April 22nd.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#14 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:41 am

20. SUGAR-THE DIRTY KNOBS
Album: Wreckless Abandon

Got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell? This band, led by former Tom Petty guitarist and current member
of Fleetwood Mac Mike Campbell will fill it for you with this down 'n dirty little rocker. Because, of course, we all need
MORE COWBELL!!!

19. BETTER DISTRACTIONS-FAYE WEBSTER
Album: None--digital single

This has a quiet Sunday morning nursing a cup of coffee and not feeling like doing much of anything kind of feel
to it.

18. ALMOST LIKE BEING IN LOVE-JAMES TAYLOR
Album: American Standard

Good ol' J.T. takes this Broadway classic, from the musical "Brigadoon" and turns it into a James Taylor song. Which
for me is a very good thing indeed.

17. MMMBOP-MICHAEL CARPENTER
Album: Digital Track only.

Another clever reworking of a 90's pop smash. He mashes up country and rock instrumentation with multi-layered harmonies,
and it totally works. I MUCH prefer it to the original, to be honest.

16. DON'T WANNA-HAIM
Album: Women In Music Pt. III

This reminds me of a Christine McVie/Fleetwood Mac song. It's pop, but it's well-crafted pop.

15. LET IT RAIN-THE DOOBIE BROTHERS W/PETER FRAMPTON
Album: None

I had a long debate with myself over whether or not I should include this cover of the Eric Clapton song, since
it seems to exist only as a You Tube video. In the end, this quarantine lockdown collaboration is just too darn
good to ignore.

14. THE WEATHERMAN-BLUE OCTOBER
Album: This Is What I Live For

Modern Pop song that glides from a hushed, semi-spoken verse to a powerful, pretty chorus.

13. SMILING-ALANIS MORISETTE
Album: Such Pretty Forks In The Road

The type of mysterious, forboding sound that she does so well. Yet, despite the somewhat dangerous vibe, the chorus
has a certain beauty to it.

12. SOMEDAY'S COMING FAST-CHRIS CHURCH
Album: Backwards Compatible

2nd entry from Church on this list, and it's more of the appealing, no frills pop/rock we heard earlier in the
countdown.

11. KIDS IN AMERICA-BILLIE JO ARMSTRONG
Album: No Fun Mondays

Another from the Green Day frontman's quarantine session, this one a cover of Kim Wilde's 1981 hit. It rocks.

"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#15 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:54 am

10. I WANNA LOOK IN YOUR EYES-OPEN SOUND
Album: Open Sound

This doesn't waste any time getting right to the point.It opens cold with the chorus...and what a completely
infectious chorus it is. I suspect this one would've been huge had it come out in the 70's.

9. RAISE THE RIVER-SUNSET ODDS
Album: Can't Shake That Tune: A Tribute To Fountains Of Wayne

A cover of a song by the late great Power Pop band Fountains of Wayne...sort of. This was never actually recorded or released by
that group, but it was a song from a number of unreleased demos recorded by a band called Pinwheel, which included future FoW
members Adam Schlesinger(R.I.P.) and Chris Collingwood. This cover version very much channels the originators. No video
available but here's an audio link:

https://radiantradish.bandcamp.com/trac ... -the-river

8. LOSING TRAIN OF THOUGHT-BRIAN BRINGELSON
Album: Desperate Days

Upbeat pop tune which breaks into some nice Beach Boys style harmonies on the chorus.

7. AT A LIGHT-TEDDY THOMPSON

This one reminds me of the multi-genre group The Mavericks. A really sweet melody with a nice horn chart.
The 3rd cut on our countdown from this artist..and we're not through with him yet.

6. SAVE YOUR TEARS-THE WEEKND
Album: After Hours

What little I had previously heard from The Weeknd did not inspire me to investigate his music any further..until
last year, when I heard a couple of songs that I absolutely fell in love with.

5. HEARTBREAKER PLEASE-TEDDY THOMPSON

Man I wish this guy was better known and better appreciated. Love his voice, love his music, and definitely love
this song.

4. COMPLETELY-BLUE OCTOBER
Album: This Is What I Live For

Such a pretty song...the verses lead into a big, beautiful chorus with a melody that's hard to get out of your head.

3. I NEED SOMEONE TO TRUST-BADLY DRAWN BOY
Album: Banana Skin Shoes

In a perfect world, English artist Damon Gough AKA Badly Drawn Boy, would've ridden the top of the charts for at
least several weeks with this one. Thirty years ago or so, he probably would have. The string and synth riff is an absolute killer
hook, especially played against the melt in your ears chorus. In numerous past countdowns, this would've been my favorite
song of the year. But the next 2 2020 songs...well, stick around, kids...

2. FIVE MORE MINUTES-THE WAR AND TREATY
Album: Hearts Town

Oh my. This is soul music..the kind they used to put out on Stax Records. The kind of early 70's R & B Al
Green used to put out. And some pretty powerful lyrics to boot. Even more so when you know the story behind the song..

"In 2017, The War And Treaty’s Michael Trotter was struggling with PTSD after serving in Iraq and was contemplating ending his life. Trotter felt he was holding his family back and the insurance money would take care of them. Trotter’s wife and musical partner Tanya Blount Trotter pleaded with him saying that if he gave her five more minutes to let her love him, she’d show him how staying in the world would make sense. Luckily he did and the chorus of “Five More Minutes” was written."

Again I say..Oh my.

DRUMROLL PLEASE..
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#16 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:04 am

1. BLINDING LIGHTS-THE WEEKND
Album: After Hours

And here it is. My favorite song of 2020. And to think I might not have heard it until long after I finished and posted
my year end list, if ever...if I hadn't seen the commercial advertising his Super Bowl halftime show. I heard this song on it and
was immediately hooked. Looked it up, and the rest is history..at least history in relation to my annual favorite songs list.
Because for the first time since I started doing these lists years ago, my favorite song of the year was also the #1 song
on Billboard's year end chart. The odds of that happening again are less than next year's Super Bowl being the NY Jets
against the Detroit Lions. This song is so 80's it should be wearing shoulder pads and leg warmers and sporting a mountain
of permed hair. Extremely difficult to get out of your head once you've heard it. Love it.

And that puts the wrapper on this year's Boney Awards. As well as the Awards Show season...well, unless you plan on watching that
minor one on Sunday, I guess.

Hope you found something to like..
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Ritterskoop

#17 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:52 pm

Wow, indeed. An actual popular song tops the list!

Acts on which i will be following up:

Your Friend Jebb
Billie Joe Armstrong's covers
Jennifer Nettles' Broadway album (no, you did not have this on your list, but she has a duet with Brandi Carlile, and you know I can't resist!)
The War and Treaty - that was so good, I stopped listening early, so that it will all be new when I get the album
Pentatonix - Seasons of Love - I "discovered" them on The Sing-Off, and saw them in a funky venue in Charlotte not long after, and even loved their stint on TV's Bones!
Monogroove
Blue October
Open Sound
--------

kroxquo

#18 Post by kroxquo » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:03 pm

I am only just now finishing going through this and I must say, as always, thank-you for putting together this list and turning me on to music I never would have heard otherwise. There were so many comments that I can't remember now but since I just listened to Blinding Lights, don't you think that it would have been very comfortable on the charts around 1985? I could hear Pet Shop Boys, Tears For Fears, or A-Ha doing that.

Great list. Thank-you.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#19 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:37 am

kroxquo wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:03 pm
I am only just now finishing going through this and I must say, as always, thank-you for putting together this list and turning me on to music I never would have heard otherwise. There were so many comments that I can't remember now but since I just listened to Blinding Lights, don't you think that it would have been very comfortable on the charts around 1985? I could hear Pet Shop Boys, Tears For Fears, or A-Ha doing that.

Great list. Thank-you.
You're welcome. It's always fun, if a bit time consuming. But I don't mind, as it keeps me from doing things that could land me on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted List.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#20 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:40 am

Ritterskoop wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:52 pm
Wow, indeed. An actual popular song tops the list!

Acts on which i will be following up:

Your Friend Jebb
Billie Joe Armstrong's covers
Jennifer Nettles' Broadway album (no, you did not have this on your list, but she has a duet with Brandi Carlile, and you know I can't resist!)
The War and Treaty - that was so good, I stopped listening early, so that it will all be new when I get the album
Pentatonix - Seasons of Love - I "discovered" them on The Sing-Off, and saw them in a funky venue in Charlotte not long after, and even loved their stint on TV's Bones!
Monogroove
Blue October
Open Sound
Skoop, did you wind up purchasing any of the above music? Just being nosy..I mean, curious. :wink:
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Ritterskoop

#21 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:25 am

Pentatonix - some odd treatments there, but some lovely ones, also - "Need a Little Christmas" sounds like the Chipmunks on PCP, and not really in a good way - "Seasons of Love" was indeed beautiful

The War and Treaty (ordered recently, have not listened to it yet)

The Jennifer Nettles isn't released yet, but I've ordered it

I was THISCLOSE to buying the Billie Joe Armstrong, but then thought many of them sounded a little too much alike - might just buy a couple of singles
--------

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#22 Post by T_Bone0806 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:10 am

Ritterskoop wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:25 am

The War and Treaty (ordered recently, have not listened to it yet)
Once you do, let me know what you think of it. I have only heard the one song, and have not gotten around to investigate anything else yet.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Ritterskoop

#23 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:41 am

Review: Hearts Town, by The War and Treaty

Overall: very, very good

Styles: blues, rock, gospel, country (that is to say, there are two songs with harmonies that would be at home in a country church, with only acoustic guitar, in a good way)

"Five More Minutes" is indeed the album's best cut, but only by a smidge. There are several more that are very close or as good.

Pros: Vocals are consistently outstanding throughout, horns are excellent

Cons: I want these folks to take advantage of being in Nashville, and work with next-level songwriters. Their harmonies are excellent and melodies are mostly very good, but the lyrics tend to get repetitive in ways that can be repaired. Same with production: it's mostly fine, but there is one song that distracts me by sounding far too much like Ray Charles' "Georgia On My Mind."

Standouts: opening horns on first cut "Yearning"
"Five More Minutes" is the album's best overall cut
"Jubilee" has repetitive lyrics but it works - strong gospel song
"Lonely in My Grief" takes us straight to New Orleans
"Little Boy Blue" has some of the album's only original lyrics
--------

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#24 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:31 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:41 am
Review: Hearts Town, by The War and Treaty

Overall: very, very good

Styles: blues, rock, gospel, country (that is to say, there are two songs with harmonies that would be at home in a country church, with only acoustic guitar, in a good way)

"Five More Minutes" is indeed the album's best cut, but only by a smidge. There are several more that are very close or as good.

Pros: Vocals are consistently outstanding throughout, horns are excellent

Cons: I want these folks to take advantage of being in Nashville, and work with next-level songwriters. Their harmonies are excellent and melodies are mostly very good, but the lyrics tend to get repetitive in ways that can be repaired. Same with production: it's mostly fine, but there is one song that distracts me by sounding far too much like Ray Charles' "Georgia On My Mind."

Standouts: opening horns on first cut "Yearning"
"Five More Minutes" is the album's best overall cut
"Jubilee" has repetitive lyrics but it works - strong gospel song
"Lonely in My Grief" takes us straight to New Orleans
"Little Boy Blue" has some of the album's only original lyrics

Thanks for the review Skoop. I must listen to some soundbites.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck