MLB All Star game moves to Colorado

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

MLB All Star game moves to Colorado

#1 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:42 pm

From Secretary of State Jena Griswold:

“Colorado is recognized as the national gold standard for elections, and I’m thrilled with the decision to move the MLB All-Star Game to Coors Field in Denver.

The truth is Colorado’s election model works. We mail ballots to all voters, have early voting, and same day voter registration. Voters can participate easily in our elections, which are also the most secure in the nation. Election accessibility and security can go hand-in-hand.

We give voters ample time and options to participate in our elections. County clerks send ballots out more than three weeks ahead of Election Day. Drop boxes and voting centers open around the state soon thereafter. These various options give voters time to send their ballot back in the mail, drop it into a drop-box, or vote in-person.

And the proof is in our voter turnout, consistently amongst the top in the nation. We've got the most accessible and secure elections in the country, and are grateful that MLB is giving us the opportunity to showcase how elections can be!”

From Denver Mayor Michael Hancock and Governor Jared Polis:

Twenty-three years after baseball royalty descended on Denver, the Major League Baseball All-Star Game is returning to Coors Field.

MLB announced Tuesday that the Rockies will host the 91st Midsummer Classic on July 13.

In a statement issued by the Rockies, MLB said it chose Denver because the city was “already in the bidding process to host a future All-Star Game.”

“The Rockies had supplied a detailed plan for hotel, event space and security that took months to assemble, and MLB staff had already made several site visits to Denver,” the statement said.

Denver Mayor Michael Hancock said the city’s ability to hit the ground running for a major event that is a little more than three months away was a big reason why Denver landed the event.

“This all moved very quickly,” Hancock said. “What usually takes months or a matter of years to happen, happened in a matter of days.”

Gov. Jared Polis, breaking out a series of baseball metaphors, said Colorado was “swinging for the fences,” adding that he expects Coors Field to be a “fully packed stadium” by July 13.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

BackInTex

Re: MLB All Star game moves to Colorado

#2 Post by BackInTex » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:08 pm

Yep, moving the game, and $100 million of outside revenue, from a city that is 51% black to a city that is 76% white, to show their support for blacks (supposedly).

Liberalism on parade.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:51 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:08 pm
Yep, moving the game, and $100 million of outside revenue, from a city that is 51% black to a city that is 76% white, to show their support for blacks (supposedly).

Liberalism on parade.
Hmm. Well then.
Well, then

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#4 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:51 pm

You may be right, maybe it is support for blacks. Here's Manfred's statement:

Over the last week, we have engaged in thoughtful conversations with Clubs, former and current players, the Players Association, and The Players Alliance, among others, to listen to their views. I have decided that the best way to demonstrate our values as a sport is by relocating this year’s All-Star Game and MLB Draft.

Major League Baseball fundamentally supports voting rights for all Americans and opposes restrictions to the ballot box. In 2020, MLB became the first professional sports league to join the non-partisan Civic Alliance to help build a future in which everyone participates in shaping the United States. We proudly used our platform to encourage baseball fans and communities throughout our country to perform their civic duty and actively participate in the voting process. Fair access to voting continues to have our game’s unwavering support.

I know I won't be able to find it anyplace, but I'm hoping anyway that our 84% turnout among active voters, a number we worked hard for and set up systems to encourage, had something to do with it.

I won't deny that we really like and can use the $100 million (I hope that's accurate) economic impact.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:25 pm

Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:29 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:25 pm
Does this mean anything?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ation.html
It means the story had to reach back more than 40 years to find some dirt. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#7 Post by BackInTex » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:43 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:29 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Does this mean anything?
It means the story had to reach back more than 40 years to find some dirt. --Bob
There's no statute of limitations on cancel culture. 40 years is a blink of the eye for such stuff.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:47 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:43 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:29 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Does this mean anything?
There's no statute of limitations on cancel culture. 40 years is a blink of the eye for such stuff.
If it makes you feel better, feel free to stop drinking Coors.

I wonder, though, whether it's cancel culture when a Legislature threatens to strip a local company of tax breaks because it doesn't like that company's political speech. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:49 pm

BackInTex wrote:

Liberalism on parade.
That's not quite accurate. The Braves stadium is in suburban Cobb County, about 13 miles from downtown Atlanta. The area immediately around the ballpark is a mixed use development area owned by the Braves parent company. The $100 million figure may be accurate, but what most working people in the area will see is couple of days of overtime pay at best. Similarly, smaller businesses aren't located really close to the stadium and most of them will see, at best, a modest bump in business over two days.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#10 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:14 pm

Thanks, MsKing, I'd forgotten about that.

It means, as the article pointed out, that when Pete Coors and the other brother took over the company, the company entered an era of really progressive values in how they treated their employees. What I was reminded of was how furious I was at Pete Coors in 2004. The company had permitted lesbian and gay couples to put their partners on their insurance. When Coors announced for Senate, the wrath of the Republicans came down about recognizing gay or lesbian partnerships for insurance purposes, and the company changed that policy. I was so happy to see Ken Salazar elected, and the only federal-level election that's eclipsed it for me was Obama in 2008.

I regret that this will have a negative short-term impact on small business owners in Atlanta, even as I'm happy for the boon this will bring to metro Denver businesses and the state. I just hope this will help the Georgia legislature and governor recognize the harm in reckless legislation that moves in the direction of voter suppression.

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:11 pm

Based on statistics from Major League Baseball, the last All Star game that was actually played was in Cleveland in 2019 and generated $65 million in revenue. It's unclear how much of an impact the pandemic will have this summer, but traffic and business might still be down some at that time. The $100 million figure came from Cobb County Travel & Tourism, and they have yet to provide any sourcing to back up that number.

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/asgbox ... pact.shtml

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:44 am

BackInTex wrote:

Liberalism on parade.
Cobb County is 62.21% White (2019). Denver's non-Hispanic Whites 52.2% (2010).
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#13 Post by BackInTex » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:04 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:44 am

Try again Bob. I don’t know if you intentionally post apples to screwdriver comparisons to make your (incorrect) point or if you are just not as smart as we all thought you were.

I’ll assume the 2010 ref is a typo but you’re comparing Denver City non-Hispanic white to Cobb County White including Hispanic.

Here is an apples to apples comparison. County to county, same demographic measure.
Per US Census 2019 (for both)

Non-Hispanic White:
Cobb County: 51.1%
Denver County: 54.9%
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#14 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:57 am

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:04 am
Bob Juch wrote:

Try again Bob. I don’t know if you intentionally post apples to screwdriver comparisons to make your (incorrect) point or if you are just not as smart as we all thought you were.

I’ll assume the 2010 ref is a typo but you’re comparing Denver City non-Hispanic white to Cobb County White including Hispanic.

Here is an apples to apples comparison. County to county, same demographic measure.

Non-Hispanic White:
No, 2010 was not a typo. I couldn't find 2020 figures.

Denver City is Denver County, similar to San Francisco.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#15 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:12 am

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:04 am
Bob Juch wrote:

Non-Hispanic White:
Whoever said that the City and County of Denver are the same thing is correct.

So where did this 76% come from?

BackInTex

#16 Post by BackInTex » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:33 pm

Bob Juch wrote: Denver City is Denver County, similar to San Francisco.
Thanks for pointing that out. When I looked at the Census data, I didn't notice the population numbers were the same but saw the % were different, which now makes no sense (thought the differences are minor).

SportsFan68 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:12 am
The 76% comes from the 2019 US Census data.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/ ... /PST045219
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#17 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:49 pm

Not exactly on the same subject, but the Fulton County District Attorney's office will not be prosecuting state representative Park Cannon, who was arrested last month for knocking on the door of Gov. Kemp's office at the State Capitol while he was signing the voting bill into law. The Georgia State Patrol lieutenant who arrested Cannon said that he was worried that the situation might escalate like the riot at the U.S. Capitol in January, if somehow, thousands of non-existent protestors suddenly materialized and followed Cannon into the Governor's office should she gain entry. The Fulton County DA is still involved with election law violations however, as their investigation into Donald Trump for election tampering continues.

And the solicitors office in Gwinnett County, the second most populous county in the state, announced that it will not be prosecuting anyone for violating the law against providing food and water to those standing in line if that law is still on the books at the next election. The General Assembly meets again in January of next year and could presumably make changes to the voting law before the next statewide election. However, the race for Atlanta mayor and city council will be held this November under the law that has just passed.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#18 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:07 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:49 pm
And the solicitors office in Gwinnett County, the second most populous county in the state, announced that it will not be prosecuting anyone for violating the law against providing food and water to those standing in line if that law is still on the books at the next election.
Told you so. --Bob

mrkelley23

#19 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:17 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:33 pm
Thanks for pointing that out. When I looked at the Census data, I didn't notice the population numbers were the same but saw the % were different, which now makes no sense (thought the differences are minor).

SportsFan68 wrote:

Wow. I knew the census was screwed up, but I didn't think it was this bad. How does someone take percentages of the exact same geographic area (Denver city and county) and wind up with different percentages for every single racial origin?

The 76%, btw, apparently includes Hispanics and Latinos who think of themselves as white.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob Juch

#20 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:23 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:17 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:33 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:

Wow. I knew the census was screwed up, but I didn't think it was this bad. How does someone take percentages of the exact same geographic area (Denver city and county) and wind up with different percentages for every single racial origin?

The 76%, btw, apparently includes Hispanics and Latinos who think of themselves as white.
I'm offended by that! My great-great-grandmother, Anna Juaquina Ortiz, was Basque, and like the others, was very white.

BackInTex

#21 Post by BackInTex » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:23 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:17 pm

Yeah, I haven't figured out how the "two" demographic locations have different percentages. It may have to do with the timing of when or how aggregation occurs, but as an accountant and systems person this bothers me.

Regarding the "white" here is their definition:
White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "White" or report entries such as Irish, German, Italian, Lebanese, Arab, Moroccan, or Caucasian.
Hispanic is (emphasis mine)
Hispanics or Latino refers to a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race. This includes people who reported detailed Hispanic or Latino groups such as: expanded list quoted below
"Hispanic" is an ethnicity while "white" is a race. Some Hispanics are "black" as a race, such as those from Cuba or The Dominican Republic with ancestry from Africa.

I'm not particularly supportive of this identifier used to segregate our society. I can't really articulate the full reason why, but most of one's identity should be about what they are today, not what their great grandparents were or where they came from. Why is one person classified separately because their ancestors came from Spain (a single country in Europe), or their ancestors were slaves of folks who are from Spanish decent, while others aren't when their ancestors could have come from the other 90% of Europe or the entire eastern side of Asia?

Mexican
•Puerto Rican
•Cuban
•Dominican Republic
Central American (excludes Mexican)
•Costa Rican
•Guatemalan
•Honduran
•Nicaraguan
•Panamanian
•Salvadoran
•Other Central American
South American
•Argentinian
•Bolivian
•Chilean
•Colombian
•Ecuadorian
•Paraguayan
•Peruvian
•Uruguayan
•Venezuelan
•Other South American
Spaniard

•All other Hispanic or Latino

Origin can be viewed as the heritage, nationality group, lineage, or country of birth of the person or the person’s parents or ancestors before their arrival in the United States.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#22 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:55 am

Around here we have a lot of folks who have Hispanic names but don't have any Hispanic ancestry. They're descended from the indigenous peoples who were converted by the Spanish missionaries and given "proper" names.