A loophole in Georgia's new voter suppression law

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

A loophole in Georgia's new voter suppression law

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:18 am

People are raising a fuss over a provision in the law that prevents people from giving water to those standing in line to vote. Some have suggested that they could give them iced tea, etc., instead, but the law says "food or drink" of any type.

My solution is to charge any amount for a drink and food, even a penny.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tlynn78

Re: A loophole in Georgia's new voter suppression law

#2 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:21 am

"..voter suppression law.."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:23 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:18 am
People are raising a fuss over a provision in the law that prevents people from giving water to those standing in line to vote. Some have suggested that they could give them iced tea, etc., instead, but the law says "food or drink" of any type.

Have you read that particular section? It is pretty clear the intent and the reasoning behind it. And it is likely based on abuses that have occurred by similar activities. I realize you are not concerned about such abuses, if they come from your particular side, but new law does not prevent people in line from getting drinks for themselves or drinks being provided by the election judges.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:00 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:21 am
Your laughter would be more valid if other Republicans haven't repeatedly gone on the record and said as much.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:12 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:23 am
Bob Juch wrote:

Have you read that particular section? It is pretty clear the intent and the reasoning behind it. And it is likely based on abuses that have occurred by similar activities. I realize you are not concerned about such abuses, if they come from your particular side, but new law does not prevent people in line from getting drinks for themselves or drinks being provided by the election judges.
Given that long lines tend to occur mostly at urban locations, I agree with you that the intent and reasoning behind the provision is clear.

But if you think that trying to starve voters into submission is a winning message, then you do you. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#6 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:23 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:00 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
Your laughter would be more valid if other Republicans haven't repeatedly gone on the record and said as much.
Yeah, no. Other peoples' opinions do not inform my own.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:15 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:23 pm
Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:00 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
Yeah, no. Other peoples' opinions do not inform my own.
Maybe not, but when they are the people who proposed the law in the first place, they tend to inform the opinion of the courts that rule on that law.

Spock

#8 Post by Spock » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:04 am

Well, at least we know that if it is racist to require ID to vote that SSS and the Bobs will be strong advocates against any sort of Covid Vaccine Passport.

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:14 am

Spock wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:04 am
Well, at least we know that if it is racist to require ID to vote that SSS and the Bobs will be strong advocates against any sort of Covid Vaccine Passport.
Apples and oranges.

It's racist to require ID to vote when to get the ID, people have to go to a DMV office and pay to get one, and the DMV offices have been closed in minority areas.

I'm against the vaccine passport because it would give a false sense of security. The vaccines are not 100% effective, and a person could be vaccinated and it wears off.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:42 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:14 am
It's racist to require ID to vote when to get the ID, people have to go to a DMV office and pay to get one, and the DMV offices have been closed in minority areas.
What is racist is the assumption people of color can't do for themselves, that they are too stupid to figure things out, that they can't take care of themselves but that white people can and are not affected by such "oppressive" requirements.

But we really know it's not oppression that is the Democrats' concern. It's the restricting of their ability to manipulate and control the votes of their enslaved and dependent base.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:45 am

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:42 am
Bob Juch wrote:
What is racist is the assumption people of color can't do for themselves, that they are too stupid to figure things out, that they can't take care of themselves but that white people can and are not affected by such "oppressive" requirements.

But we really know it's not oppression that is the Democrats' concern. It's the restricting of their ability to manipulate and control the votes of their enslaved and dependent base.
Wow. You're really saying here that people vote Democratic because they're too stupid to know what they're doing. And I can't help thinking it's mostly urban voters that you think fit that description.

Let's see how well that messaging works for Republicans. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#12 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:14 am

BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

So. much. rec.

Even my 14 y-o grandson sees this, and is offended by it.

BackInTex

#13 Post by BackInTex » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:54 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:45 am
BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

Wow. You're really saying here that people vote Democratic because they're too stupid to know what they're doing. And I can't help thinking it's mostly urban voters that you think fit that description.

Let's see how well that messaging works for Republicans. --Bob
Not what I said at all, you Democratic voter from an urban area.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#14 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:27 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:14 am
BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

So. much. rec.

I see you've indoctrinated him well.

tlynn78

#15 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:40 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:27 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:14 am
BackInTex wrote:

So. much. rec.

I see you've indoctrinated him well.
Of course - as he's a PoC, he can't possibly think for himself. Bless your heart.

silverscreenselect

#16 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:00 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
No, what is racist are the requirements that disproportionately affect minority communities and make voting more difficult there when there is no valid reason to do so. The 2020 elections were the most carefully monitored and most heavily litigated in our nation's history. There was no evidence of fraud that would necessitate additional "security" measures.

I voted by absentee ballot and dropped our ballots in a drop box outside a Fulton County vocational training building about a mile from home. I could have done so 24 hours a day. Under the new law, the number of drop boxes per county will be much lower, from 38 to about 8 in Fulton County. (a maximum of one drop box per 100,000 registered voters in the county). Most of the small, heavily Republican counties only have one drop box location anyway, usually at the county courthouse, so the new law won't affect them. However, it will make it much more burdensome to use the drop box in urban counties that just happen to be heavily Democratic (I'll also have to go inside a building that's an early voting location during voting hours to use the drop box). There was absolutely no evidence of fraud or theft regarding drop boxes (which had surveillance cameras) in the last election. This is just one of the changes that has no effect on election security but a highly disproportionate effect on voting in Democratic counties.

Minorities can and will still locate drop boxes if they need them to vote. But it becomes considerably more difficult to use them for no valid reason.

silverscreenselect

#17 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:07 pm

MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred announced today that the 2021 All Star Game and MLB draft will not be held in Atlanta as previously scheduled. A new location has not yet been selected. A planned tribute to Atlanta (and Milwaukee) Braves star Hank Aaron, who died during the offseason, will still be held during the All-Star festivities.

Jeemie

#18 Post by Jeemie » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:00 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

But the section doesn’t bar just special interest groups from providing food and drink.

It bars anyone from doing so.

And even where it allows it (more than 150 feet away from the polling place) it adds a further requirement that makes it almost impossible to do so.

Portions of the law have been misrepresented by President Biden and the media...that is true. He lied about early voting being reduced, specially on Sundays...and he knows that’s not true. That’s disgusting.

There are actually good parts to it...clarifications of what were once just temporary rules because of COVID...now codified. That’s good.

However, Governor Kemp has also misled people on the more onerous restrictions of the law. Like the food and water...and his ridiculous statement “this law doesn’t take away any drop boxes from anyone since drop boxes were never in the law to being with”. He knows he’s being coy...and that’s disgusting.

True conservatives should be angry at regulations that are unduly placed for no good reason. They should not be happy with many aspects of this law.

But there aren’t true conservatives and liberals anymore...there’s only tribes who will applaud anything they feel benefits their tribe...no matter which principles have to be cast aside in order to give said applause.
1979 City of Champions 2009

Jeemie

#19 Post by Jeemie » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:04 pm

Oh and hi everyone. Been a while.

silverscreenselect

#20 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:30 pm

Jeemie wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:00 pm
Portions of the law have been misrepresented by President Biden and the media...that is true. He lied about early voting being reduced, specially on Sundays.
Earlier versions of this law did eliminate Sunday voting. It is now "optional" for each county for two Sundays. Under the old law, Sunday voting was not mentioned at all.

The new law does significantly cut down the time for runoff elections, which will now be held four weeks after the general election (instead of nine), with only one week of early voting (instead of three). Prior to this year, runoffs occurred in close races in which a Libertarian candidate or other third party candidate got just enough of the votes to prevent the major party candidate from getting a majority. Republicans invariably won those runoffs, almost always with significantly larger percentages of the vote than in the general election. However, Georgia Democrats in 2020-21 were able to mobilize and register new voters (including those who turned 18 between the general election and the runoff) and increase the relative turnout in heavily Democratic counties, while Republican turnout dropped significantly (while they were grumbling about election fraud). Again, another change that will impact Democrats more than Republicans as a result of a disappointing result in the 2021 Senate runoff elections.

In 2022, the stakes will be very high in Georgia. Raphael Warnock will be up for a full Senate term, and Gov. Kemp (if he survives a primary), will probably face Stacy Abrams for governor.

And welcome back Jeemie.

Jeemie

#21 Post by Jeemie » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:55 pm

Runoffs are stupid.

They should have ranked choice voting.

But yes...Stacy Abrams scares the shit out of the Georgia GOP.

BackInTex

#22 Post by BackInTex » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:00 pm

Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:00 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
No, what is racist are the requirements that disproportionately affect minority communities and make voting more difficult there when there is no valid reason to do so. The 2020 elections were the most carefully monitored and most heavily litigated in our nation's history. There was no evidence of fraud that would necessitate additional "security" measures.

I voted by absentee ballot and dropped our ballots in a drop box outside a Fulton County vocational training building about a mile from home. I could have done so 24 hours a day. Under the new law, the number of drop boxes per county will be much lower, from 38 to about 8 in Fulton County. (a maximum of one drop box per 100,000 registered voters in the county). Most of the small, heavily Republican counties only have one drop box location anyway, usually at the county courthouse, so the new law won't affect them. However, it will make it much more burdensome to use the drop box in urban counties that just happen to be heavily Democratic (I'll also have to go inside a building that's an early voting location during voting hours to use the drop box). There was absolutely no evidence of fraud or theft regarding drop boxes (which had surveillance cameras) in the last election. This is just one of the changes that has no effect on election security but a highly disproportionate effect on voting in Democratic counties.

Minorities can and will still locate drop boxes if they need them to vote. But it becomes considerably more difficult to use them for no valid reason.
So the primarily Republican counties were always oppressed by having only one box to drop ballots off in, but since they were previously oppressed and continue to be oppressed by having only a single location, it's O.K.? Am I reading that correctly?
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#23 Post by BackInTex » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:02 pm

Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:07 pm
MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred announced today that the 2021 All Star Game and MLB draft will not be held in Atlanta as previously scheduled. A new location has not yet been selected. A planned tribute to Atlanta (and Milwaukee) Braves star Hank Aaron, who died during the offseason, will still be held during the All-Star festivities.
And 100s of oppressed minorities will be further oppressed by having the opportunity to earn a living hosting this event taken somewhere else, probably a location that is more white. Brilliant!

Oh, and how many minorities can actually afford tickets to this oppressive event? Apparently only whites can afford expensive things.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#24 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:07 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:02 pm
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:07 pm
And 100s of oppressed minorities will be further oppressed by having the opportunity to earn a living hosting this event taken somewhere else, probably a location that is more white. Brilliant!

Oh, and how many minorities can actually afford tickets to this oppressive event? Apparently only whites can afford expensive things.
I hope you realize there are more non-Wites than Whites in America now. Whites are a minority.

BackInTex

#25 Post by BackInTex » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:09 pm

Jeemie wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:00 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

But the section doesn’t bar just special interest groups from providing food and drink.

It bars anyone from doing so.
Have you actually read it? Did you read the part that says

"(e) This Code section shall not be construed to prohibit a poll officer from distributing materials, .......or from making available self-service water from an unattended receptacle to an elector waiting in line to vote."
~~ Thomas Jefferson