My Stimulus Check Came Early ... Sort of

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

My Stimulus Check Came Early ... Sort of

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:17 am

Every week, I update our family balance sheet, and today, I saw a deposit from Social Security for $348 in my bank account. This is not the day I get my regular SS deposit, and Mrs. SSS did not have a similar deposit in her account. As you might expect, I didn't get any notice or explanation from SSA about this (it might be coming Monday), so I had to dig into my account to figure out where it came from. It's not the stimulus check, since that will be a physical check when it arrives.

Well, it turns out that my Social Security calculation was based on income through 2019. In calculating benefits, they take into account your top 35 earnings years. They have now recalculated my benefits to take 2020 into account. Even working just nine months, I made considerably more in 2020 than in some of my earlier years, so my 2020 earnings replaced those in one of the early years. The recalculation resulted in an increased benefit of $174, and a deposit for two months of back benefits.

Thanks, Joe Biden.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

Re: My Stimulus Check Came Early ... Sort of

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:42 pm

I got a similar deposit several months ago.

Your stimulus payment will be electronic to the bank account you used if you got your refund electronically.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:01 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:42 pm
I got a similar deposit several months ago.

Your stimulus payment will be electronic to the bank account you used if you got your refund electronically.
What is this "refund" of which you speak?

Not that it will matter to me. I won't be getting any of the disaster-relief funding (it's not a stimulus). And I'm fine with that. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

jaybee

#4 Post by jaybee » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:47 pm

Our $2,800 stimulus money was deposited in our bank this morning. Same for my oldest son who lives in CA.
Jaybee

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#5 Post by kayrharris » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:03 pm

The past couple of years I have received a letter from Social security telling me they have increased my payment due to the wages I earned the year before.

Kay
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:48 pm

kayrharris wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:03 pm
The past couple of years I have received a letter from Social security telling me they have increased my payment due to the wages I earned the year before.

Kay
I guess that was Biden, too.
Well, then

tlynn78

#7 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:01 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:48 pm
kayrharris wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:03 pm

Kay
I guess that was Biden, too.
Thanks for the coffee through my nose.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Spock

#8 Post by Spock » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:49 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:17 am
Every week, I update our family balance sheet, and today, I saw a deposit from Social Security for $348 in my bank account. This is not the day I get my regular SS deposit, and Mrs. SSS did not have a similar deposit in her account. As you might expect, I didn't get any notice or explanation from SSA about this (it might be coming Monday), so I had to dig into my account to figure out where it came from. It's not the stimulus check, since that will be a physical check when it arrives.

Well, it turns out that my Social Security calculation was based on income through 2019. In calculating benefits, they take into account your top 35 earnings years. They have now recalculated my benefits to take 2020 into account. Even working just nine months, I made considerably more in 2020 than in some of my earlier years, so my 2020 earnings replaced those in one of the early years. The recalculation resulted in an increased benefit of $174, and a deposit for two months of back benefits.

Thanks, Joe Biden.
Kind of sad and pathetic that a retired attorney is this stoked about an extra $174 per month. You must not have managed your money well in your earlier years.

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:25 am

We got ours deposited overnight.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#10 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:51 pm

Spock wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:49 am
Kind of sad and pathetic that a retired attorney is this stoked about an extra $174 per month. You must not have managed your money well in your earlier years.
I got stoked today when I went to the grocery and saw that this particular store had discontinued Mrs. SSS's favorite brand of salad dressing, and I was able to buy several bottles for 20% of the original price.

I don't know what your definition of money management is, but part of it is keeping an eye on income and expenses. That's something I learned in elementary school.

jaybee

#11 Post by jaybee » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:06 pm

I had a friend (who recently died at age 94) who certainly did manage his income in his earlier years. I know that he was worth many millions of dollars. I happened to be talking to him back during the BAM phone-in days when I received my one and only round-2 BAM call. This lead to a discussion of the Millionaire show and I asked him, "What would change if he got on the show and won a million dollars?" He thought about it for a moment and then said, "Not a thing"

And yet I also remember he and his wife going on and on about a trip they took to an outlet mall in Pigeon Forge TN where he got three shirts at 50% off.
Jaybee

tlynn78

#12 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:18 pm

jaybee wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:06 pm
I had a friend (who recently died at age 94) who certainly did manage his income in his earlier years. I know that he was worth many millions of dollars. I happened to be talking to him back during the BAM phone-in days when I received my one and only round-2 BAM call. This lead to a discussion of the Millionaire show and I asked him, "What would change if he got on the show and won a million dollars?" He thought about it for a moment and then said, "Not a thing"

And yet I also remember he and his wife going on and on about a trip they took to an outlet mall in Pigeon Forge TN where he got three shirts at 50% off.
I've been to that outlet store - it is life-changing. :lol: :lol: :lol: but not as much as the Zorbing I did there with Peababe.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Spock

#13 Post by Spock » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:58 pm

Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:51 pm
Spock wrote:
I got stoked today when I went to the grocery and saw that this particular store had discontinued Mrs. SSS's favorite brand of salad dressing, and I was able to buy several bottles for 20% of the original price.

I don't know what your definition of money management is, but part of it is keeping an eye on income and expenses. That's something I learned in elementary school.
Good on you, Bud.

I have learned not to worry about nickel and dime shit. I could not begin to tell you the price of gas within 50 cents unless my kids tell me. I have a gas tank here on the farm that is filled when needed and we use thousands of gallons of gas a year.

For farm diesel and LP needs we try to limit risk and buy ahead at decent prices.

But you do you and worry about the price of salad dressing.

Spock

#14 Post by Spock » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:09 pm

Spock wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:58 pm
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:51 pm
Spock wrote:

Good on you, Bud.

I have learned not to worry about nickel and dime shit. I could not begin to tell you the price of gas within 50 cents unless my kids tell me. I have a gas tank here on the farm that is filled when needed and we use thousands of gallons of gas a year.

For farm diesel and LP needs we try to limit risk and buy ahead at decent prices.

But you do you and worry about the price of salad dressing.
There were a couple of other offers on the property I have been working on this week (see the Bored Baby Thread). The sellers were asking $3,900 per acre. I blew them away with my offer of $4,000 and it has been accepted -pending a right of first refusal by the current renter.

They said the other offers were quite a bit lower than this. I like to think of those offers as "SSS Offers"-trying to save a penny and ending up without the land. They were worried about the price of salad dressing and couldn't see the future potential of this land.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:14 pm

I'm always laughing at peeps who disdain the stock market. It's what we worked and saved for and enables us to pay for kids' shit and hopefully our shit in future years
Well, then

Spock

#16 Post by Spock » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:26 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:14 pm
I'm always laughing at peeps who disdain the stock market. It's what we worked and saved for and enables us to pay for kids' shit and hopefully our shit in future years
I have mentioned before that I run a stock portfolio for my dad-It is his on paper, but it is my baby. It had been a few weeks since I looked at it-but at the Covid bottom a year ago, it was about $79,000.

Today, it was above $161K.

Buy and Hold and as the Wall Street Bets people (of GameStop Fame) say "Hold with Diamond Hands."

Nothing fancy required in the portfolio-just good, solid, dividend paying companies.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#17 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:30 pm

Spock wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:26 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:14 pm
I have mentioned before that I run a stock portfolio for my dad-It is his on paper, but it is my baby. It had been a few weeks since I looked at it-but at the Covid bottom a year ago, it was about $79,000.

Today, it was above $161K.

Buy and Hold and as the Wall Street Bets people (of GameStop Fame) say "Hold with Diamond Hands."

Nothing fancy required in the portfolio-just good, solid, dividend paying companies.
The market doesn't always care about politics. That's why a managed account is good.
Well, then

silverscreenselect

#18 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:49 pm

Spock wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:09 pm
They said the other offers were quite a bit lower than this. I like to think of those offers as "SSS Offers"-trying to save a penny and ending up without the land. They were worried about the price of salad dressing and couldn't see the future potential of this land.
SSS offers work. You won't always get the first thing you look at, but sooner or later you'll find someone who needs to sell. Especially in this environment. The people making the "SSS offers" will probably wind up with an equivalent piece of property at some point for considerably less that you're willing to pay for this one.

You seem to have a fixation on salad dressing.

Spock

#19 Post by Spock » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:11 pm

SSS>>>"SSS offers work. You won't always get the first thing you look at, but sooner or later you'll find someone who needs to sell. Especially in this environment. The people making the "SSS offers" will probably wind up with an equivalent piece of property at some point for considerably less that you're willing to pay for this one."<<<<<

That is what my Dad always thought also when it came to buying land. After many years of listening to him to the detriment of building my long-term wealth, I learned that he did not know squat about buying land and I had to move ahead on my own and just ignore his bitching and complaining about the topic.

I guarantee that those making "SSS Offers" never considered that it has a 1/2 mile of frontage on a very busy road between 2 high-amenity communities.

SSS>"You seem to have a fixation on salad dressing."<<<<

I am not the one bragging about bagging a deal on salad dressing.
Last edited by Spock on Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#20 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:13 pm

Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:49 pm
Spock wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:09 pm
SSS offers work. You won't always get the first thing you look at, but sooner or later you'll find someone who needs to sell. Especially in this environment. The people making the "SSS offers" will probably wind up with an equivalent piece of property at some point for considerably less that you're willing to pay for this one.

You seem to have a fixation on salad dressing.
That made no sense whatever.

Which is fine. He doesn't much give any credence to what I say. Probably have more money than him anyway.
Well, then

Spock

#21 Post by Spock » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:25 pm

Spock wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:11 pm
SSS>>>"SSS offers work. You won't always get the first thing you look at, but sooner or later you'll find someone who needs to sell. Especially in this environment. The people making the "SSS offers" will probably wind up with an equivalent piece of property at some point for considerably less that you're willing to pay for this one."<<<<<

That is what my Dad always thought also when it came to buying land. After many years of listening to him to the detriment of building my long-term wealth, I learned that he did not know squat about buying land and I had to move ahead on my own and just ignore his bitching and complaining about the topic.

I guarantee that those making "SSS Offers" never considered that it has a 1/2 mile of frontage on a very busy road between 2 high-amenity communities.

SSS>"You seem to have a fixation on salad dressing."<<<<

I am not the one bragging about bagging a deal on salad dressing.
There is another risk with making an SSS offer. You might piss off the seller. I don't have it listed, but I have put word around that a portion of Property #1 is for sale if the price is right.

Well, about 3 weeks ago, I got an "SSS offer" on that land of $80,000. That number is insultingly low. Within a few days, they raised their offer to $160,000 which supposedly was their "final" offer. Last week, they raised their "Final" offer to $240,000.

At this point, I find the quick raise from $80,000 to $240,000 deeply insulting and while I will string them along, I have no plans to sell to them.

silverscreenselect

#22 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:44 pm

Spock wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:25 pm
There is another risk with making an SSS offer. You might piss off the seller. I don't have it listed, but I have put word around that a portion of Property #1 is for sale if the price is right.

Well, about 3 weeks ago, I got an "SSS offer" on that land of $80,000. That number is insultingly low. Within a few days, they raised their offer to $160,000 which supposedly was their "final" offer. Last week, they raised their "Final" offer to $240,000.
Well, they aren't me. If I make an offer on something, it means that's what I'm willing to pay for it. If they don't want to sell, fine. If they get pissed off, I won't have to deal with them again.

Obviously, you don't share my philosophy. That's fine, not many people do. I've done quite well with it. When the last recession hit in 2008, I read articles giving people advice about how to cut back on various items to save money in the crunch. I was already doing almost all of them already. and I don't think our quality of life has suffered all that much.

I didn't need the savings I got from buying the salad dressing now rather than later. But I notice the prices I pay for everything, and I'm always looking for the best deal I can get. I'm sure you'd notice important things on your farm that I would never spot. This is how I grew up and this is second nature to me, and what I notice is that there's always ways to make deals and I find as many of them as I can.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#23 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:50 pm

You couldn't possibly out coupon my husband. Seriously.
Well, then

silverscreenselect

#24 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:50 pm

Spock wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:11 pm
Or that they did know about and knew something about the property you didn't.

Spock

#25 Post by Spock » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:51 pm

Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:44 pm
Spock wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:25 pm

Well, they aren't me. If I make an offer on something, it means that's what I'm willing to pay for it. If they don't want to sell, fine. If they get pissed off, I won't have to deal with them again.

Obviously, you don't share my philosophy. That's fine, not many people do. I've done quite well with it. When the last recession hit in 2008, I read articles giving people advice about how to cut back on various items to save money in the crunch. I was already doing almost all of them already. and I don't think our quality of life has suffered all that much.

I didn't need the savings I got from buying the salad dressing now rather than later. But I notice the prices I pay for everything, and I'm always looking for the best deal I can get. I'm sure you'd notice important things on your farm that I would never spot. This is how I grew up and this is second nature to me, and what I notice is that there's always ways to make deals and I find as many of them as I can.
I find the fact that someone with your background clips coupons for salad dressing to be a complete and utter waste of your time and talent. Hell, hang your shingle out and do a little consulting or something for a few hours on your terms. You would be way ahead.

Or spend the time by reading something that takes you out of your comfort zone. For example, read deeply about the place of hunting in wildlife conservation. Your brain will literally explode with new synapses.

And by "Read Deeply" I don't mean spend 5 seconds on Google.

Or read Gulag Archipelago-Hell, you are retired-you have time. You (as most people are) are well-versed in Nazi crimes-but the "Gulags" are just a throw away phrase to you. That won't be the case after you read Solzhenitsyn.