It's cold

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tlynn78

Re: It's cold

#26 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:27 pm

It's a balmy 28 up in these parts today. Grand and I had fun blowing bubbles and watching them shatter this weekend. Stay warm and dry, my southern peeps
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

BackInTex

#27 Post by BackInTex » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:41 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:50 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:40 am
Just looked at this site

Texas generation capacity (and consumption) of 483 million Mwh eclipses 2nd place FL producing 245 million Mwh. Third place PA produces 228 million Mwh, almost 60% more than they consume.

I can only assume Texas' petrochemical industry is the primary reason we consume so much more than others (71% more than CA).

CA looks like they have to rely on other states for 25% of their need.
Can't tell without more context, but that looks like summertime capacity and sales. I think the numbers may be different in the winter and on average, but I could be wrong. I did find this link from Bloomberg about causes and effects. Yes, it's Bloomberg, but they provide a direct quote from someone from Texas who sounds like he ought to know.
There are a lot of folks ready with torches, pitchforks, tar and feathers here. I keep telling them to cool it (maybe not the best term :) ). We lost power 2 maybe 3 days during this 100 year event. We had similar issues 10 years ago. So I tell everyone, we CAN have a "no fail" grid but it would be very expensive. Generation capacity would need to be built to handle the max load but would go unused 95% of the time. We could weatherproof the plants like they are up north, and expensive proposition, so they operate during for those 2-3 days every 10 years or so. We would pay for all that "insurance" every day every year.

The bottom line is the system doesn't work perfectly 2-3 days every 5-10 years. That's pretty good. Better than most things in life.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#28 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:28 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:53 pm
I suppose this is a poor time to bingewatch Snowpiercer.
Last night's episode is next up on my TiVo queue. :roll:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#29 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:37 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:27 pm
It's a balmy 28 up in these parts today. Grand and I had fun blowing bubbles and watching them shatter this weekend. Stay warm and dry, my southern peeps
Brilliant! Must do tomorrow
Well, then

wbtravis007

#30 Post by wbtravis007 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:47 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:52 pm
Some observations

I don't have winter pajamas. Who knew?

When there is no ambient light it is PITCH BLACK. I stopped reading my Kindle and leaned back, closed my eyes, then opened them and thought "Did I have a stroke?" Then Jeff came into the room with spelunker lights and allayed my fears. Greg et al's power is still off, plus water. He had the same scary reaction I did, except his was punctuated by bursting pipes...they live in Spring. They are over here now.

The goldfish in the outside fountain are certainly croaked. Three inches of ice.

Battery radio great until certain peeps play Pink Floyd by candlelight while doing crossword puzzles.
I’ll put money on the goldfish, bb. Some years back we had a goldfish in a water trough that was down to about 3 inches frozen solid at the bottom. I could have lost big money if someone had offered to bet me that the son of a gun would end up surviving.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#31 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:55 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:47 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Some observations

When there is no ambient light it is PITCH BLACK. I stopped reading my Kindle and leaned back, closed my eyes, then opened them and thought "Did I have a stroke?" Then Jeff came into the room with spelunker lights and allayed my fears. Greg et al's power is still off, plus water. He had the same scary reaction I did, except his was punctuated by bursting pipes...they live in Spring. They are over here now.

The goldfish in the outside fountain are certainly croaked. Three inches of ice.

Battery radio great until certain peeps play Pink Floyd by candlelight while doing crossword puzzles.
I’ll put money on the goldfish, bb. Some years back we had a goldfish in a water trough that was down to about 3 inches frozen solid at the bottom. I could have lost big money if someone had offered to bet me that the son of a gun would end up surviving.
The water is so thick it may provide a barrier...they've been hardy.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#32 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:58 pm

Dutch Skate Amsterdam’s Canals for First Time Since 2018

https://www.afar.com/magazine/dutch-ska ... since-2018
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tlynn78

#33 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:34 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:37 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
Well, it was -20 here at the time, so your results may vary...
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Spock

#34 Post by Spock » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:51 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:41 pm
mrkelley23 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:40 am
Just looked at this site

Texas generation capacity (and consumption) of 483 million Mwh eclipses 2nd place FL producing 245 million Mwh. Third place PA produces 228 million Mwh, almost 60% more than they consume.

I can only assume Texas' petrochemical industry is the primary reason we consume so much more than others (71% more than CA).

CA looks like they have to rely on other states for 25% of their need.
Can't tell without more context, but that looks like summertime capacity and sales. I think the numbers may be different in the winter and on average, but I could be wrong. I did find this link from Bloomberg about causes and effects. Yes, it's Bloomberg, but they provide a direct quote from someone from Texas who sounds like he ought to know.
There are a lot of folks ready with torches, pitchforks, tar and feathers here. I keep telling them to cool it (maybe not the best term :) ). We lost power 2 maybe 3 days during this 100 year event. We had similar issues 10 years ago. So I tell everyone, we CAN have a "no fail" grid but it would be very expensive. Generation capacity would need to be built to handle the max load but would go unused 95% of the time. We could weatherproof the plants like they are up north, and expensive proposition, so they operate during for those 2-3 days every 10 years or so. We would pay for all that "insurance" every day every year.

The bottom line is the system doesn't work perfectly 2-3 days every 5-10 years. That's pretty good. Better than most things in life.
I bet there is a strong correlation between those ready with the tar and feathers now and those who have previously laughed at anybody who has their own back-up generator. I am very happy that we have a commercial generator for business reasons.

"Texas" can happen here on the northern plains, but it would be 40 degrees colder (or more).

mrkelley23

#35 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:53 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Some observations

We had a koi pond at our high school for a while, as well as a ... let's kindly call her uninformed, animal lover custodian. She used to call downtown and report our biology teacher (also our department chair) for not taking care of his snakes to her standards. One winter we got a bad cold snap and the koi pond froze over. As wb said, goldfish and koi can often live through a severe freeze, even if it freezes nearly all solid. Our custodian, horrified at the frozen water, took a shovel out and beat on the surface of the frozen water to try to break the ice up.

Needless to say, she managed to accomplish what a little ice could not.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mrkelley23

#36 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:58 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:55 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Some observations

One of the science oddities I like to teach every year is the strange behavior of water near its freezing point. From the boiling point down to about 4 degrees Celsius, water becomes more dense the cooler it gets, like most liquids. But between 4 degrees (about 39 Fahrenheit) and 0 Celsius, water actually gets MORE dense the cooler it gets. What that means is that the denser water sinks to the bottom until the whole place is 4 degrees, then and only then does the top surface start to freeze. After that, the ice provides an insulating effect on the water below. So even a goldfish pond that looks frozen completely solid probably isn't. And the fish just slow their metabolism with the temperature, so they're usually fine.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob Juch

#37 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:04 pm

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#38 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:12 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:57 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:10 pm
23% of Texas' power generation is from wind.
As of Sunday morning 48% of the turbines in Texas are inoperable because of icing. Probably more than 48% now.
Added to that, winter is when a lot of excess generating capacity (gas turbine and coal units) is taken offline for preventative maintenance. So that generating capacity is unavailable in the short term.
I just reposted an interesting post from a friend of mine on FB. I hadn't realized that Texas had basically divorced themselves from the national power grid. And in addition to the frozen turbines, solar panels don't work well when iced over, and gas lines are freezing all over the place. I hope it warms up soon there for all y'all.
Texas's state energy folks say that wind turbines have actually exceeded expectations, and that iced-over turbines are the least significant reason for the problem. Low gas pressure seems to be the biggest contributor, followed by iced over controls at gas and coal plants. Blaming wind energy is a right-wing propaganda stunt.

That's actually obvious once you think about it and do a little research. Iowa uses a lot of wind energy. So does Denmark. Neither of those locations are known for warm, toasty winters, but they seem to be doing just fine. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#39 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:46 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:12 pm
mrkelley23 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
As of Sunday morning 48% of the turbines in Texas are inoperable because of icing. Probably more than 48% now.
Added to that, winter is when a lot of excess generating capacity (gas turbine and coal units) is taken offline for preventative maintenance. So that generating capacity is unavailable in the short term.
I just reposted an interesting post from a friend of mine on FB. I hadn't realized that Texas had basically divorced themselves from the national power grid. And in addition to the frozen turbines, solar panels don't work well when iced over, and gas lines are freezing all over the place. I hope it warms up soon there for all y'all.
Texas's state energy folks say that wind turbines have actually exceeded expectations, and that iced-over turbines are the least significant reason for the problem. Low gas pressure seems to be the biggest contributor, followed by iced over controls at gas and coal plants. Blaming wind energy is a right-wing propaganda stunt.

That's actually obvious once you think about it and do a little research. Iowa uses a lot of wind energy. So does Denmark. Neither of those locations are known for warm, toasty winters, but they seem to be doing just fine. --Bob
All my electricity comes from wind turbines.

When I drove from here to Chicago, I went through the Texas Panhandle where there were turbines all over. When I crossed over into Oklahoma, there were none. I figured that Texas must have favorable treatment for turbines.

wbtravis007

#40 Post by wbtravis007 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:46 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:58 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:

One of the science oddities I like to teach every year is the strange behavior of water near its freezing point. From the boiling point down to about 4 degrees Celsius, water becomes more dense the cooler it gets, like most liquids. But between 4 degrees (about 39 Fahrenheit) and 0 Celsius, water actually gets MORE dense the cooler it gets. What that means is that the denser water sinks to the bottom until the whole place is 4 degrees, then and only then does the top surface start to freeze. After that, the ice provides an insulating effect on the water below. So even a goldfish pond that looks frozen completely solid probably isn't. And the fish just slow their metabolism with the temperature, so they're usually fine.

Veddy interesting. Thanks for posting this. Learn something new every day.

In the situation I described I’m almost positive that the dang thing was in solid ice. No water involved at at. Like I said: I could’ve lost a lot of money.

Bob Juch

#41 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:49 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:46 pm
mrkelley23 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:58 pm
Beebs52 wrote:

Veddy interesting. Thanks for posting this. Learn something new every day.

In the situation I described I’m almost positive that the dang thing was in solid ice. No water involved at at. Like I said: I could’ve lost a lot of money.
Just hope it's not Ice 9.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#42 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:57 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:34 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:37 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
Well, it was -20 here at the time, so your results may vary...
Minus 5 would work, no?
Well, then

wbtravis007

#43 Post by wbtravis007 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:02 pm

Spock wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:51 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:41 pm
mrkelley23 wrote:

I bet there is a strong correlation between those ready with the tar and feathers now and those who have previously laughed at anybody who has their own back-up generator. I am very happy that we have a commercial generator for business reasons.

"Texas" can happen here on the northern plains, but it would be 40 degrees colder (or more).

I live in Texas and can say unequivocally that nobody I know or know of has ever “laughed at anybody who has their own back-up generator.” Whether on the left or right. All I’ve ever heard is jealousy about that.

So, I’d like to take your bet if there’s a way that you’d suggest that we could prove it one way or another and to enforce it.

Do people that you know really laugh all that much about stuff like this, or is this just your imagination working? I’m reminded now about your recent comment about how the Chinese and Russian people were laughing about something or another. (Can’t remember what.)
Last edited by wbtravis007 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#44 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:02 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Thanks Bob! For making this political. You're making good choices little boy!
Well, then

wbtravis007

#45 Post by wbtravis007 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:20 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:02 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:

Not sure who started it but if you’re blaming bob many numbers just on his last post for making this political you probably didn’t see or remember some the others.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#46 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:30 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:20 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

Not sure who started it but if you’re blaming bob many numbers just on his last post for making this political you probably didn’t see or remember some the others.
Where? Other than you and Bob? Sorry, should have included you.
Well, then

Appa23

#47 Post by Appa23 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:38 pm

My wife, our youngest daughter, and I just got back from Disney World yesterday, where we had a week of approximately high 70s and low 80s. Quite the change, seeing that it was -21, with -40 wind chill overnight. (Did wake up to see Good Morning America finally do a weather story not about East coast but my hometown. Guy did the demo of boiling water turning to steam in midair, plus showed the steam coming off of the Missouri River, which then iced up bridges and roads near the river

In the span of less than 12 hours, we had three different flight cancellations in trying to return home, and my wife had to fly home entirely separately from us, and we had to fly into Kansas City and have our son drive down to pick us up. (Wife was supposed to fly through Houston yesterday, while daughter and I flew through ChIcago. Fortunately, SWA ticketing agent got her onto a Dallas flight at the last minute, or she may still be in Houston.) Fortunately, no real issue with our car starting up when we went back to Omaha’s airport today, despite multiple days well below freezing.

No rolling power outages where I live, though other parts of the city did, as apparently Nebraska’s public power districts are part of a Southwest power collective, so customers in Nebraska had to lessen power demands to help people in more southern states not be as impacted.

wbtravis007

#48 Post by wbtravis007 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:00 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:30 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

Not gonna worry my pretty little head about a substantive response to this. We’re on rolling blackouts and could have an extended outage at any time. I’ve been struggling to keep my phone charged as it is.

It’s there if you want to bother to look for it.

Stay warm.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#49 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:03 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:00 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:30 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:

Not gonna worry my pretty little head about a substantive response to this. We’re on rolling blackouts and could have an extended outage at any time. I’ve been struggling to keep my phone charged as it is.

It’s there if you want to bother to look for it.

Stay warm.
Whatever dude. We're hoping for no more irrigation pipe busting tonight.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#50 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:53 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:38 pm
My wife, our youngest daughter, and I just got back from Disney World yesterday, where we had a week of approximately high 70s and low 80s. Quite the change, seeing that it was -21, with -40 wind chill overnight. (Did wake up to see Good Morning America finally do a weather story not about East coast but my hometown. Guy did the demo of boiling water turning to steam in midair, plus showed the steam coming off of the Missouri River, which then iced up bridges and roads near the river

In the span of less than 12 hours, we had three different flight cancellations in trying to return home, and my wife had to fly home entirely separately from us, and we had to fly into Kansas City and have our son drive down to pick us up. (Wife was supposed to fly through Houston yesterday, while daughter and I flew through ChIcago. Fortunately, SWA ticketing agent got her onto a Dallas flight at the last minute, or she may still be in Houston.) Fortunately, no real issue with our car starting up when we went back to Omaha’s airport today, despite multiple days well below freezing.

No rolling power outages where I live, though other parts of the city did, as apparently Nebraska’s public power districts are part of a Southwest power collective, so customers in Nebraska had to lessen power demands to help people in more southern states not be as impacted.
I would have stayed in Orlando!