It's cold

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

It's cold

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:41 pm

Just ridiculous. I know the north is used to it, I grew up in it. I expect hurricanes and shit, but this is stupid. Onward.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: It's cold

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:09 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:41 pm
Just ridiculous. I know the north is used to it, I grew up in it. I expect hurricanes and shit, but this is stupid. Onward.
We've got the same issue here in Los Angeles. It may get down to the 50s tonight, and I doubt we'll get much above 70 tomorrow. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:36 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:09 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
We've got the same issue here in Los Angeles. It may get down to the 50s tonight, and I doubt we'll get much above 70 tomorrow. --Bob
I shall faht in your general direction. And the faht will break upon our lantana and break the leaves and...gahhhhhh!
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:49 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:36 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
I shall faht in your general direction. And the faht will break upon our lantana and break the leaves and...gahhhhhh!
That explains the smell. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was getting worried. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:04 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:49 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:36 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
That explains the smell. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was getting worried. --Bob
We got prickly ice downpours now. Fahts are out of the question.
Well, then

Billy Bored Thornton
Merry Man

#6 Post by Billy Bored Thornton » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:46 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
It's plenty warm here in ol' Billy Bored's double wide. Wall to wall shag carpet.

Bring a friend. Or not.

Pumpkin
What the f$%$ck are you looking at?

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:04 pm

Billy Bored Thornton wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:46 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
It's plenty warm here in ol' Billy Bored's double wide. Wall to wall shag carpet.

Bring a friend. Or not.

Pumpkin
Merv the cat says no. He has scruples.

Litter face.
Well, then

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:17 pm

Weatherguy says we may likely get THUNDERSNOW!
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:58 am

Time to move to Florida!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:45 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:58 am
Time to move to Florida!
Saw a similar graphic with a title "It's National Hate Florida Week".

No Thundersnow here, btw. We just got dusted.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#11 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:58 am

The lilting sounds of wintry mix woke me up at 2am, along with what sounded like a critter in the attic, trying to get into the attic or maybe it was limbs hitting the roof...
We got an inchish of ice covered by two inches of snow.
Felt like -1. Negative one!?! It's f!@#$ing Texas!!! This is stupid and communist!!!
Well, then

BackInTex

#12 Post by BackInTex » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:10 pm

23% of Texas' power generation is from wind.
As of Sunday morning 48% of the turbines in Texas are inoperable because of icing. Probably more than 48% now.
Added to that, winter is when a lot of excess generating capacity (gas turbine and coal units) is taken offline for preventative maintenance. So that generating capacity is unavailable in the short term.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Vandal
Director of Promos

#13 Post by Vandal » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:39 pm

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#14 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:13 pm

Power out since 11:30 today. Heat is gas but needs ignition. We're at 60ish now. Wifi internet off and on. This is fairly annoying. Put ice cream out to keep from melting...Kids power out since 2am. Roads bad so no one can come or go. There ya go.
Well, then

mrkelley23

#15 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:57 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:10 pm
As of Sunday morning 48% of the turbines in Texas are inoperable because of icing. Probably more than 48% now.
Added to that, winter is when a lot of excess generating capacity (gas turbine and coal units) is taken offline for preventative maintenance. So that generating capacity is unavailable in the short term.
I just reposted an interesting post from a friend of mine on FB. I hadn't realized that Texas had basically divorced themselves from the national power grid. And in addition to the frozen turbines, solar panels don't work well when iced over, and gas lines are freezing all over the place. I hope it warms up soon there for all y'all.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

BackInTex

#16 Post by BackInTex » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:26 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:57 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:10 pm
I just reposted an interesting post from a friend of mine on FB. I hadn't realized that Texas had basically divorced themselves from the national power grid. And in addition to the frozen turbines, solar panels don't work well when iced over, and gas lines are freezing all over the place. I hope it warms up soon there for all y'all.
I've been fortunate. My half of my section of about 160 homes within my neighborhood of 4400 homes never lost power. We lost water Monday morning around 6:00 AM (power to all the water plants out apparently). The power to most of my neighborhood was reestablished, along with the water, about 2:00AM Tuesday morning.

If I had to choose to lose water or electricity when it is 15 degrees outside, I'll choose water every time. My home is mostly gas (heat, hot water, dryer, range top) but of course I need electricity to power the blower.

I don't think being separated from the national power grid really impacted us as there were a lot of other areas with power shortages as well. What hurt us was the wind turbines (23% of Texas' generating capacity) icing up and having to be taken offline (at least 48% of turbines in Texas were affected), along with some coal and gas generation down for annual maintenance (usually schedule in winter when power demand is USUALLY lower). We have one of the lowest average electricity costs in the nation, and when we peak and have supply issues, it is usually at times much of the nation is having the same issues and there wouldn't be excess capacity to purchase anyway.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#17 Post by BackInTex » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:40 am

Just looked at this site

Texas generation capacity (and consumption) of 483 million Mwh eclipses 2nd place FL producing 245 million Mwh. Third place PA produces 228 million Mwh, almost 60% more than they consume.

I can only assume Texas' petrochemical industry is the primary reason we consume so much more than others (71% more than CA).

CA looks like they have to rely on other states for 25% of their need.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

mrkelley23

#18 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:30 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:40 am
Just looked at this site

Texas generation capacity (and consumption) of 483 million Mwh eclipses 2nd place FL producing 245 million Mwh. Third place PA produces 228 million Mwh, almost 60% more than they consume.

I can only assume Texas' petrochemical industry is the primary reason we consume so much more than others (71% more than CA).

I miss the like button.

Factual information is always welcome.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#19 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:52 pm

Some observations

I don't have winter pajamas. Who knew?

When there is no ambient light it is PITCH BLACK. I stopped reading my Kindle and leaned back, closed my eyes, then opened them and thought "Did I have a stroke?" Then Jeff came into the room with spelunker lights and allayed my fears. Greg et al's power is still off, plus water. He had the same scary reaction I did, except his was punctuated by bursting pipes...they live in Spring. They are over here now.

The goldfish in the outside fountain are certainly croaked. Three inches of ice.

Battery radio great until certain peeps play Pink Floyd by candlelight while doing crossword puzzles.
Well, then

BackInTex

#20 Post by BackInTex » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:31 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:52 pm
Some observations

When there is no ambient light it is PITCH BLACK. I stopped reading my Kindle and leaned back, closed my eyes, then opened them and thought "Did I have a stroke?" Then Jeff came into the room with spelunker lights and allayed my fears. Greg et al's power is still off, plus water. He had the same scary reaction I did, except his was punctuated by bursting pipes...they live in Spring. They are over here now.

The goldfish in the outside fountain are certainly croaked. Three inches of ice.

Battery radio great until certain peeps play Pink Floyd by candlelight while doing crossword puzzles.
Yep. Pipes are bursting all over our neighborhood. Most folks didn't do everything they should have given their particular situation. When I realized my water was off I drained all my pipes, saving what I could for drinking and flushing. And I kept my power yesterday so my house was heated. Some folks who lost electricity and water (pressure) didn't drain their lines.

Good day to be a plumber if you like busy.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

mrkelley23

#21 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:33 pm

"Busier than a good plumber in a Texas ice storm" is going to be the new "one armed paper hanger."

mrkelley23

#22 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:35 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Some observations

Is it wrong that I giggled at the mental image of you blinking in the blackness, then Jeff walking in like something out of Back to the Future?

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#23 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:41 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:35 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Some observations

Is it wrong that I giggled at the mental image of you blinking in the blackness, then Jeff walking in like something out of Back to the Future?
Nothing is any more than this whole scenario anyway, so giggle away.
Well, then

mrkelley23

#24 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:50 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:40 am
Just looked at this site

Can't tell without more context, but that looks like summertime capacity and sales. I think the numbers may be different in the winter and on average, but I could be wrong. I did find this link from Bloomberg about causes and effects. Yes, it's Bloomberg, but they provide a direct quote from someone from Texas who sounds like he ought to know.

SpacemanSpiff

#25 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:53 pm

I suppose this is a poor time to bingewatch Snowpiercer.