Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:12 pm

I was impressed with how Ken handled himself on the show. He got choked up a bit at the start when he talked about his relationship with Alex, but he seemed to fit in smoothly after that. He also pulled a bit of a Regis on a daily double when the contestant wasn't sure of his answer and Ken hesitated just a bit before telling him he was correct.

All in all, I'd be in favor of him continuing if he wants the job.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#2 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:56 pm

I thought he did a fine job. I'm sure Alex would've approved.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#3 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:34 pm

Ken gets two thumbs up from me. Well done!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:14 am

Ken did better than I expected. As I said earlier (here or somewhere else), being the first up after Alex is going to be tough, where he will only be compared to Alex.

Ken was very personable and did not come off as having a "the smartest guy in the room" complex. Something I suspected might happen but that is only because I've watch him on Masterminds where that is kind of the role he to plays there. He made a clean transition to the new role.

I doubt there is anything Ken can do about it but his voice is not as deep or smooth as Alex's or many other hosts and announcers. Alex had a great voice (as did Regis) that was easy to listen to. Alex got to where he was because of his hosting talents which includes his voice. Ken got there, primarily, because of how well he played the game he is hosting.

My only criticism, and if he sees this I hope he sees it as constructive, is I felt Ken was too rushed. He seemed to be facilitating a lightning round where the contestants were trying to answer as many questions as possible in 60 seconds. It was stressful for me and I think that would also stress the contestants a little, too, making them feel rushed to answer faster than required and to choose the next question without a pause for consideration.

All in all though, I enjoyed the show.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:54 pm

Ken did a decent job. He needs to loosen up a bit, however.

The show did seem to be rushed, but that could be a result of editing to allow the intro.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#6 Post by BackInTex » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:16 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:54 pm

The show did seem to be rushed, but that could be a result of editing to allow the intro.
I just watched today's show (#2). Ken seemed more comfortable, but still rushed, and too consistent with his responses..."Correct [repeating the contestant's response]". I'm sure over time, as he watches himself and gets perhaps some coaching from producers he'll be more "natural".

Again, I'm comparing him to Alex, so it's like Ohio State playing Alabama. Good team, really good team, but.....
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:28 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:16 pm
Bob Juch wrote:

I just watched today's show (#2). Ken seemed more comfortable, but still rushed, and too consistent with his responses..."Correct [repeating the contestant's response]". I'm sure over time, as he watches himself and gets perhaps some coaching from producers he'll be more "natural".

Again, I'm comparing him to Alex, so it's like Ohio State playing Alabama. Good team, really good team, but.....
As far as I know, this is Ken's first hosting gig of any sort. Alex had years in Canadian television before he started hosting game shows in the United States, and he hosted about a half dozen U.S. game shows before Jeopardy. Not to mention that when he started, he wasn't under the pressure of trying to follow a legendary icon.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:35 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:28 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

As far as I know, this is Ken's first hosting gig of any sort. Alex had years in Canadian television before he started hosting game shows in the United States, and he hosted about a half dozen U.S. game shows before Jeopardy. Not to mention that when he started, he wasn't under the pressure of trying to follow a legendary icon.
Art Fleming? He was sorta legendary. I auditioned in 1984 when Sony had just taken it over. I had a bad perm that I blamed for not being picked. We were in Huntington Beach, just after our #1 was born. It was a big deal for me to drive to Hollywood. I remember using the answer "liver" repeatedly, for whichever questions were asked during mock game.
Memmmories
Well, then

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:17 pm

Not quite on subject, but I can't believe this one contestant today. He was a former movie producer who talked about how he bought the Jennifer Lawrence film WInter's Bone for his studio several years back. But he didn't know the answer to this question:
Spoiler
What actor was known as the Man of a Thousand Faces?
Spoiler
Lon Chaney, Sr.

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:40 pm

Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:17 pm
Not quite on subject, but I can't believe this one contestant today. He was a former movie producer who talked about how he bought the Jennifer Lawrence film WInter's Bone for his studio several years back. But he didn't know the answer to this question:
Spoiler
What actor was known as the Man of a Thousand Faces?
Spoiler
Lon Chaney, Sr.
I can find no mention of Dusty Smith producing anything, including Winter's Bone.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:56 pm

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers said today that he was going to be an upcoming guest host on Jeopardy. The show has yet to confirm that.

I would rather see Jake from State Farm host the show.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/aaron- ... 234884145/

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:57 pm

Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:28 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

Ken was much better today. He was much more relaxed.

BackInTex

#13 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:51 pm

Tuned in for J! as I was eating lunch. Ken was terrible as a host today. However his impersonations of Nancy Pelosi and Louie Gohmert were spot on. What range! :D
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#14 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:11 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:51 pm
Tuned in for J! as I was eating lunch. Ken was terrible as a host today. However his impersonations of Nancy Pelosi and Louie Gohmert were spot on. What range! :D
Now I have to be sure to watch the show. I'm pretty sure that Alex never did a Nancy Pelosi or Louie Gohmert impersonation.

BackInTex

#15 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:17 pm

Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:11 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Now I have to be sure to watch the show. I'm pretty sure that Alex never did a Nancy Pelosi or Louie Gohmert impersonation.
:roll:
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#16 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:39 pm

BackInTex wrote:
I think that's a joke. J! was probably pre-empted in his area by the House impeachment proceedings.

BackInTex

#17 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:35 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:39 pm
BackInTex wrote:
I think that's a joke. J! was probably pre-empted in his area by the House impeachment proceedings.
I obviously need to work on my delivery.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#18 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:41 pm

Ken's my pick. I don't even need to see the other candidates.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Bob Juch

#19 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:49 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:41 pm
Ken's my pick. I don't even need to see the other candidates.
Of the other ones who have been named, I prefer Ken. I'd see rather have Brad Rutter. Check him out on The (New) Chase.

silverscreenselect

#20 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:06 am

The show has now announced four new guest hosts officially:

Katie Couric
Aaron Rodgers
Bill Whitaker
Mayim Bialik

Current host Ken Jennings is hosting for six weeks. After that, the show's executive producer Mike Richards will host for two weeks to give the guest hosts time to prepare. Couric and Rodgers had been mentioned as hosts previously. Richards said the show is looking for additional guest hosts; my guess would be to fill out the remainder of the current season.

The show will make a donation to each host's selected charity. The amount of the donation will equal the winnings of the contestants during the weeks hosted by that celebrity. I didn't see any word about how long each of them will host. I'm sure that Rodgers won't tape his shows until after the Green Bay Packers season ends, which could be in early February if they make the Super Bowl.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/13/jeopardy- ... eks-death/

lilclyde54

#21 Post by lilclyde54 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:02 pm

I haven't seen nearly all of Ken's hosted episodes but I thought he did a great job on the two I did watch. He has my vote.
I felt the change

Time meant nothing and never would again

silverscreenselect

#22 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:06 pm

Today, one of the contestants didn't know the right answer to the Final Jeopardy questions and wrote down "What is H&R Block?" (the correct answer to the question that Jennings missed on the game he finally lost during his initial run on the show) I know that the host sees the contestants' answers before the reveal, so he had a few seconds to think up a comeback, but it still shows some quick thinking and a good wit. Spoiler follows:

BackInTex

#23 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:33 am

Ken improves everyday. I've watched all the episodes (except for the one preempted by Nancy Pelosi's mean girls meeting).

I did wince when he commented on a female player's hair likely being attributable to her love of David Bowie. She appeared to wince as well. It was, uncomfortable, to say the least. I'm surprised it was not edited out.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#24 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:48 am

The show has announced four more guest hosts: Dr. Oz, Anderson Cooper, Savannah Guthrie, and Dr. Sanjay Gupta. No word on when their episodes will air.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/jeopar ... 234898758/

Ritterskoop

#25 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:39 am

I remember years ago, when people would mumble about who the next host might be, Anderson Cooper's name always came up. He is probably too big now, but it will be fun to see him for a batch of shows, to see what might have been. I think his temperament is similar enough to Alex' that the show will feel the same.

Regardless of how well he has tamped down the snootiness, Ken's voice is just too high for my taste, and there is nothing he can do about that. Well, not much.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.