The coup is officially underway

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SpacemanSpiff

The coup is officially underway

#1 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:43 pm

Congress' long day has just gotten longer.

Trump-based protesters (call them what they are, anarchists) have breached the Capitol Building, forcing a lockdown and cessation of the balloting/hearing procedures.

Let's see who the law and order people are now.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: The coup is officially underway

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:56 pm

Let's be clear about precisely what this is. It's an attempt at the violent overthrow of the duly elected United States government, encouraged and incited by Donny and his Republican enablers in Congress. The responsibility for inciting this riot falls squarely on their shoulders.

The fact that the attempt is doomed to failure is no excuse. The Republican Party must be consigned to electoral oblivion. A sane conservative party should take its place. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:02 pm

Armed militia members are also gathering outside the Georgia State Capitol right now. Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger has been evacuated.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

SpacemanSpiff

#4 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:21 pm

Nancy Pelosi has requested that the DC National Guard be deployed to the Capitol Building.

Of course, that has to be authorized by the Defense Department, since it's in DC.

'Nuff said.

EDIT: Per WaPo:

Entire D.C. National Guard to be activated following breach of Capitol
By Dan Lamothe

The entire D.C. National Guard will be activated within hours, putting 1,100 guardsmen on duty after protesters supporting outgoing President Donald Trump breached the Capitol.

The rapid expansion of military involvement came after Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) requested that guardsmen already on duty be sent to the Capitol, said the defense official and a District official, speaking on the condition of anonymity due the sensitivity of the issue.

Defense officials, who have been resistant to getting dragged into politics, initially offered instead to replace police in other capacity, allowing more law enforcement to respond at the Capitol, the defense official said.

Before Wednesday afternoon, the Pentagon had sought to keep the military response to pro-Trump protests small, still smarting from outcry to a much larger military response in June to protests in the District following the police killing of George Floyd. Defense officials had activated 340 D.C. guardsmen, with 170 on duty at a time.

EDIT TWO: The states of Virginia and Maryland are also sending National Guardsmen as well as State Troopers to help quell this situation.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:48 pm

The woman who was shot inside the capitol has died.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#6 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:55 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:48 pm
Any word on who she was (one of the folks who breached security or someone that was supposed to be there) and who shot her (someone who breached security, law enforcement, or someone else with a weapon)?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

jaybee

#7 Post by jaybee » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:42 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:55 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Any word on who she was (one of the folks who breached security or someone that was supposed to be there) and who shot her (someone who breached security, law enforcement, or someone else with a weapon)?
Headline states that she was shot by law enforcement, but no details.

https://my.xfinity.com/video/one-person ... player=ccx
Jaybee

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:10 pm

Twitter locked Mad King Donald's account due to three tweets he made.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:21 pm

jaybee wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:42 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:55 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Headline states that she was shot by law enforcement, but no details.

https://my.xfinity.com/video/one-person ... player=ccx
It will be interesting to see what the narrative will be if she was unarmed.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#10 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:22 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:21 pm
It will be interesting to see what the narrative will be if she was unarmed.
I wonder what the narrative would have been if Black Lives Matter activists tried to storm the Capitol. I have a feeling there would be a lot more than one fatality.

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:26 pm

The challenge to Arizona's Electoral College was voted down by 93-6, which means Senators who had said they'd vote in favor of it changed their minds. Possibly because of the insurrection?

silverscreenselect

#12 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:41 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:26 pm
The challenge to Arizona's Electoral College was voted down by 93-6, which means Senators who had said they'd vote in favor of it changed their minds. Possibly because of the insurrection?
Kelly Loeffler, who is about as lame duck a Senator as you can have, announced during the debate that she had changed her mind because of what happened today. I think that her loss yesterday may also have made it an easier decision for her. The word I had was that about 16 Senators planned to object. The six who did were Cruz, Hawley, Hyde-Smith, Marshall, Kennedy, and Tuberville. Marshall and Tuberville were just sworn in this week. The word now is that there won't be any further objections to other states.

Before the vote, Mitt Romney was the only Republican to condemn Trump specifically for his role in inciting the riot (several Democrats did).
We gather today due to a selfish man's injured pride and the outrage of his supporters whom he has deliberately misinformed for the past two months and stirred to action this very morning. What happened here today was an insurrection, incited by the President of the United States. ... Those who choose to continue to support his dangerous gambit by objecting to the results of a legitimate, democratic election will forever be seen as being complicit in an unprecedented attack against our democracy. They will be remembered for their role in this shameful episode in American history. That will be their legacy.
Those words got the longest applause of the entire debate.

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:02 pm

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA (KMOX) - A San Diego television station is identifying the woman killed Wednesday afternoon inside the U.S. Capitol as Ashley Babbitt. KUSI-TV says they spoke with her husband, confirming the identity. He told the station she was a 14-year veteran of the Air Force and worked high-level security in the service. He also said she was an avid supporter of President Trump, but did not indicate why she was inside the building. U.S. Capitol Police are investigating, and have not indicated the circumstances of the death or said who they think shot her.

Bob Juch

#14 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:05 pm

(WUSA9)WASHINGTON — Four people are dead, 52 are arrested and 14 DC Police officers have been injured amid pro-Trump riots and demonstrations near and at the U.S. Capitol Wednesday, according to initial information released by MPD. Those numbers are expected to rise.

Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol grounds at around 2 p.m., breaking into the US Capitol Building around 2:45 p.m., making it as far as the House Chambers where just minutes before the U.S. Congress was beginning to certify the electoral college results.

A woman was shot and killed inside the U.S. Capitol building as Trump supporters tried to break into the House Chamber.

DC's Mayor Muriel Bowser and DC Police Chief Robert Contee III said that as the rioters tried to gain access to the House Chamber after breaking into the U.S. Capitol building, a plain-clothed US Capitol Police officer fired one shot, striking a woman. She was transported to a hospital where she was pronounced dead.

The other three deaths -- one woman and two men -- are medical emergencies that are not firearm-related, said DC Police. No other information was released by DC police on these deaths.

"Any loss of life in the District is tragic," said DC Police Chief Contee in a news conference Wednesday.

Four of those arrested were charged with carrying a pistol without a license, possession of a large capacity ammunition feeding device, possession of unregistered ammunition, according to DC Police. 47 were arrested because of disobeying the curfew put in place by DC's Mayor Bowser from 6 p.m. on Wednesday until 6 a.m. on Thursday.

Of the 52 people arrested, multiple people were not from the DMV area, according to the information provided on those charged by DC Police.

Some of the states that these people charged are from including Michigan, Colorado, Texas and North Carolina.

Contee also praised his officers' response to the situation at the Capitol Building.

"These officers should be commended for their work. They fought hard to protect our democracy. Not only today but every day they wear that uniform," said Contee.

silverscreenselect

#15 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:20 pm

This one is wrong on so many levels. The incident happened Monday night:

[Josh] Hawley claims ‘Antifa’ vandalized his Virginia home. Not so, police and protesters say
Missouri Republican Sen. Josh Hawley claimed on Twitter Monday night that his family faced vandalism and threats of violence during a protest outside of their northern Virginia home, but video posted by activists and a description from local police don’t match his account. The protest took place ahead of his planned objection to President-elect Joe Biden’s electoral votes when Congress meets Wednesday to certify the presidential election. Hawley was not present when the demonstration took place. But his Twitter post framing the event as an act of violence drew national attention.

“Tonight while I was in Missouri, Antifa scumbags came to our place in DC and threatened my wife and newborn daughter, who can’t travel. They screamed threats, vandalized, and tried to pound open our door. Let me be clear: My family & I will not be intimidated by leftwing violence,” Hawley said on Twitter.

The protest of about 15 activists was organized by Shutdown DC. The group posted a more than 50-minute video of what it called a “Vigil For Democracy.” While the demonstrators mostly stayed on the public street and sidewalk, at one point four people walked onto Hawley’s property to place a pamphlet on his front door. The group said was a copy of the Constitution. The video shows activists writing in chalk on the sidewalk, but it doesn’t show any damage to his Vienna, Va. home.
Followup quote from Hawley: "If the Antifa scumbags can terrorize my family, they can do it to any family in America. People should be safe in their own homes. And we’re not going to sit back and take it."

Bob Juch

#16 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:56 pm

Flight Attendants Say D.C. Insurrection Participants Are a Threat to Travelers’ Safety

https://www.afar.com/magazine/flight-at ... -travelers

Sara Nelson, head of the union that represents nearly 50,000 flight attendants at 17 airlines, feels it’s unsafe for those who participated in the insurrection at the Capitol to be allowed back onto airplanes.

“The mob mentality behavior that took place on several flights to the D.C. area yesterday was unacceptable and threatened the safety and security of every single person onboard. It will not happen again,” Nelson said in a statement released by the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA (AFA) on January 6.

Supporters of President Donald Trump stormed the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday, forcing lawmakers to be rushed from the building and interrupting Congress’s formal approval of Joe Biden’s presidential victory. Congress returned later Wednesday to resume proceedings after the Capitol was cleared by law enforcement.

“Some of the people who traveled in our planes yesterday participated in the insurrection at the Capitol today,” Nelson stated. She said their violent actions are cause for concern regarding their departure from the D.C. area.

“Acts against our democracy, our government . . . must disqualify these individuals from the freedom of flight. We in aviation have a serious role to play in national security,” stated Nelson. She asked that airlines work together with government and law enforcement agencies to ensure the safety and security of passengers and crew “by keeping all problems on the ground.”

The AFA statement comes after several reports of unruly behavior on flights to Washington, D.C., in the leadup to the January 6 events at the Capitol. On January 5, independent journalist Maranie Staab tweeted a video of verbal clashes between Trump supporters and other passengers on an American Airlines flight from Dallas to Washington, D.C.

“Flight attendants are struggling to control a plane full of Trump supporters,” Staab tweeted.

{more}