Incompetence may have spread the virus

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Re: Incompetence may have spread the virus

#576 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:02 am

AP FACT CHECK: Trump distorts on vaccine, state distribution
Pfizer notably did not accept government money to develop, test or expand manufacturing capacity under Trump’s Operation Warp Speed initiative to quickly find a vaccine and treatments for the disease sweeping the country. In fact, Pfizer partnered with the vaccine’s original developer, Germany’s BioNTech, in March and the following month announced the first human study in Germany. The White House announced Operation Warp Speed in May.

Pfizer opted not to join Operation Warp Speed initially but is following the same general requirements for the vaccine’s development as competitors who received government research money. The company says it has risked $2 billion of its own money on vaccine development and won’t get anything from Washington unless the effort is successful. “Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine development and manufacturing costs have been entirely self-funded,” Pfizer spokeswoman Jerica Pitts said this week. “We decided to self-fund our efforts so we could move as fast as possible.”

However, Pfizer did sign an agreement with the U.S. government in July worth $1.95 billion — if the vaccine pans out and is cleared by the FDA — to supply 100 million doses. That guarantees Pfizer a U.S. market, an important incentive.
And lest we forget:

Trump administration officials passed when Pfizer offered months ago to sell the U.S. more vaccine doses.
Before Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine was proved highly successful in clinical trials last month, the company offered the Trump administration the chance to lock in supplies beyond the 100 million doses the pharmaceutical maker agreed to sell the government as part of a $1.95 billion deal months ago. But the administration, according to people familiar with the talks, never made the deal, a choice that now raises questions about whether the United States allowed other countries to take its place in line.

As the administration scrambles to try to purchase more doses of the vaccine, President Trump plans on Tuesday to issue an executive order that proclaims that other nations will not get the U.S. supplies of its vaccine until Americans have been inoculated. But the order appears to have no real teeth and does not expand the U.S. supply of doses, according to a description of the order on Monday by senior administration officials.
In fairness, Moderna did receive Operation Warp Speed developmental money. But in regard to Pfizer, our government's involvement consisted of agreeing to buy an inadequate amount of the vaccine, once successfully developed, and it's now botching the distribution of the vaccine. This is what happens when you put boot-licking political hacks in charge of a vital government project.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#577 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:11 am

Estonut wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:28 am
Bob78164 wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:08 am
Estonut wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:12 am
Misinformed much?

UK starts virus campaign with a shot watched round the world

So Great Britain has less stringent testing protocols (for the same vaccine) as the U.S.

As for any vaccine that Russia and/or China may have developed, I'll give you $1,000 if you take either one.
The Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine was developed without the help of "Operation Warp Speed."
Pfizer/BioNTech themselves disagree with your lie.
You've misread the press release. It says they are supplying the doses requested by the government. They didn't accept government funding to develop the vaccine. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#578 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:40 pm

This is a long-form article by Lawrence Wright being published inThe New Yorker over its next two issues about America's response to the pandemic. It goes into considerable detail. I'm guessing it will be maybe 70 pages in print. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#579 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:50 pm

RIP Luke Letlow. At 41, Mr. Letlow was set to become the youngest member of Louisiana's Congressional delegation. COVID saw to it that won't happen. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#580 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:06 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:50 pm
RIP Luke Letlow. At 41, Mr. Letlow was set to become the youngest member of Louisiana's Congressional delegation. COVID saw to it that won't happen. --Bob
I keep wondering if anything is going to serve as a wake-up call for all the deniers and nay sayers and "individual rights" supporters who have gotten us into the mess we're in today. But I doubt that one single person is going to change his or her activities as a result of this death. Or that any people Letlow's age or younger will stop to think that this isn't just an old person's disease.

silverscreenselect

#581 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:32 pm

GBI agents and election officials just completed an audit of the ballots in Cobb County, GA, the third most populous county in the state, which voted for Biden by about 50,000 votes. They personally examined over 15,000 absentee ballots, about 10% of the total cast in the presidential election, to verify signatures against the records on file, the procedure used here in Georgia. They found a total of ten ballots that didn't appear to match. In eight of those cases, they contacted the voters and verified that they did indeed submit the absentee ballot. One ballot was mistakenly signed on the front of the envelope instead of the back as required by law. Again, the voter verified that it was his ballot. The last ballot was signed by the voter's husband. Again, the voter verified that she completed the ballot although her husband signed the envelope. So, after a thorough investigation of the votes, a grand total of zero fraudulent ballots were discovered, zero ballots cast by someone other than the voter to whom the absentee ballot was sent, and zero ballots that could not have been corrected had they been flagged initially.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/no-fraud-g ... BU56WEQHM/

jaybee

#582 Post by jaybee » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:28 pm

So, after a thorough investigation of the votes, a grand total of zero fraudulent ballots were discovered, zero ballots cast by someone other than the voter to whom the absentee ballot was sent, and zero ballots that could not have been corrected had they been flagged initially.

Apparently, "Massive voter fraud on a scale never seen before" does not mean what I think it means.
Jaybee

silverscreenselect

#583 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:09 pm

Georgia Senator David Perdue is self-quarantining now after coming in close contact with a person who tested positive for COVID. Depending on how long this quarantine lasts, Perdue could miss Monday's rally in Dalton at which Donald Trump is scheduled to appear. Perdue already skipped a joint rally and concert event scheduled for today with Georgia's other Senator, Kelly Loeffler. Perdue and his wife did test negative on Thursday and will presumably be tested again over the weekend.

Bob Juch

#584 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:39 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:09 pm
Georgia Senator David Perdue is self-quarantining now after coming in close contact with a person who tested positive for COVID. Depending on how long this quarantine lasts, Perdue could miss Monday's rally in Dalton at which Donald Trump is scheduled to appear. Perdue already skipped a joint rally and concert event scheduled for today with Georgia's other Senator, Kelly Loeffler. Perdue and his wife did test negative on Thursday and will presumably be tested again over the weekend.
Dalton seems a strange choice. Maybe Trump wants to say he went to Dalton.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#585 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:12 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:39 pm
silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:09 pm
Dalton seems a strange choice. Maybe Trump wants to say he went to Dalton.
The Republicans are trying to increase the crowds as much as they can. Trump's last appearance was in Valdosta, only 15 miles from the Florida line and a fairly easy drive for Trump supporters in Florida to make the trip and improve the rally's optics. Dalton will similarly get supporters from southeastern Tenn. For the Republicans to win these elections, they need big turnout in the rural parts of the state, both north and south Georgia.

Whether Trump stays on point or not also remains to be seen. At his last appearance in Valdosta, he spent far more time claiming fraud and bashing Governor Brian Kemp than talking about Perdue and Loeffler. His last big hurrah is the Congress vote to ratify the electoral college results two days after this appearance. Trump sent a tweet out this week calling for Brian Kemp to resign, and I'm sure that Kemp and the previous election will be very much on his mind Monday.

And by the way, Joe Biden will be in Atlanta with Jon Ossoff and Raphael Warnock on Monday, as well. I doubt the subject of election fraud will come up.

silverscreenselect

#586 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:43 pm

Within the last day, Virginia State Senator Ben Chafin, 60, and Pennsylvania State Representative Mike Reese, 42, both Republicans, have died. Both tested positive for COVID in December. COVID was listed as the cause of death for Chafin, while the proximate cause for Reese was an "apparent brain aneurysm."

jaybee

#587 Post by jaybee » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:32 pm

The Republicans are trying to increase the crowds as much as they can. Trump's last appearance was in Valdosta, only 15 miles from the Florida line and a fairly easy drive for Trump supporters in Florida to make the trip and improve the rally's optics. Dalton will similarly get supporters from southeastern Tenn. For the Republicans to win these elections, they need big turnout in the rural parts of the state, both north and south Georgia.

In this Covid based election year, do rally's really do anything to help? I mean, it's a pretty safe bet that 100% of the people who will attend a Republican rally with trump as a speaker are die-hard republicans who have already decided to how they are going to vote. Just who is out there that may get their vote swayed by a rally? And if you are fired up enough to go to a trump rally, surely you are fired up enough to actually go vote. Other than giving trump another chance to inflate attendance figures to make his dick look bigger, just what do rally's like this accomplish?
Jaybee

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#588 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:11 am

jaybee wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:32 pm
In this Covid based election year, do rally's really do anything to help? I mean, it's a pretty safe bet that 100% of the people who will attend a Republican rally with trump as a speaker are die-hard republicans who have already decided to how they are going to vote. Just who is out there that may get their vote swayed by a rally? And if you are fired up enough to go to a trump rally, surely you are fired up enough to actually go vote. Other than giving trump another chance to inflate attendance figures to make his dick look bigger, just what do rally's like this accomplish?
The usual theory is that news coverage of such rallies inspire people other than the people who attend the rallies to go vote. This year I'm hoping that Donny's rallies have that effect for all of the health care workers who are outraged by Donny's handling of a pandemic that has already killed more than 300,000 Americans. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#589 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:36 pm

I thought it would be a good idea to bump this thread up to showcase the difference in dealing with the virus now that we finally have adult, responsible leadership in charge that believes in science not patting themselves on the back. So, in two days, here are the changes so far:

1) US rejoins the World Heath Organization with Dr. Fauci sitting in on today's meeting (remotely).
2) Fauci rejoins the daily press briefing and speaks his mind about his constraints when working with Trump.
3) Biden revives Obama-era global health risk team scrubbed by Trump
4) CDC to publish a public dashboard tracking cases, testing, vaccinations, and hospitalizations
5) Invokes Defense Production Act to ramp up to increase production and distribution of vaccines and related supplies (syringes, etc.)
6) Taking steps to identify hard-hit areas and increase distribution there as needed.
7) Launching new education campaign on vaccines and encourage vaccination
8 ) Working with states to add more vaccination locations including high-capacity venues like stadiums and arenas.
9) CDC to develop new guidelines for schools and businesses on safely reopening
10) Mandate requiring masks on all public transportation
11) Revamped testing strategy and working with schools on screening procedures

I know that I haven't gotten everything here and that much of this may be inartfully stated, but it's a tremendous response in what is now about 36 hours in office for Biden. This comes after the news that Biden's team found that Trump left the cupboard even more bare than feared in terms of Covid supplies and preparedness.

Biden is treating this the way Trump should have from day one. Unfortunately, 400,000 Americans had to pay the ultimate price before we got to this point.

silverscreenselect

#590 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:30 am

Bob Juch

#591 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:26 pm

I warned about this many months ago:

Mutated virus may reinfect people already stricken once with covid-19, sparking debate and concerns
A trial of an experimental coronavirus vaccine detected the most sobering signal yet that people who have recovered from infections are not completely protected against a variant that originated in South Africa and is spreading rapidly, preliminary data presented this week suggests.

The finding, though far from conclusive, has potential implications for how the pandemic will be brought under control, underscoring the critical role of vaccination, including for people who have already recovered from infections. Reaching herd immunity — the threshold when enough people achieve protection and the virus can’t seed new outbreaks — will depend on a mass vaccination campaign that has been constrained by limited supply.

Anthony S. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, noted that it appears a vaccine is better than natural infection in protecting people, calling it “a big, strong plug to get vaccinated” and a reality check for people who may have assumed that because they have already been infected, they are immune.
More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... th-africa/
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#592 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:17 pm

This one will hit home with Krox:

Almost a third of people with 'mild' Covid-19 still battle symptoms months later, study finds
A growing group of people get sick [from COVID] and then never fully recover. In support groups, they sometimes refer to themselves as long-haulers; their condition is alternately called long Covid, continued Covid, post-Covid syndrome or post-acute Covid syndrome. Nobody is sure what percentage of people who've been infected with SARS-CoV-2 go on to develop post-Covid syndrome.

A new research letter published Friday in the journal JAMA Network Open is shedding new light on the condition. Researchers from the University of Washington followed 177 people with laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection for up to nine months -- the longest follow-up to date. Notably, this group included 150 outpatients, who had "mild" disease and were not hospitalized. They found that 30% of respondents reported persistent symptoms. The most common were fatigue and loss of smell or taste. More than 30% of respondents reported worse quality of life compared to before getting sick. And 14 participants (8%) -- including 9 people who had not been hospitalized -- reported having trouble performing at least one usual activity, such as daily chores. The researchers wrote that with 57.8 million cases worldwide, "even a small incidence of long-term debility could have enormous health and economic consequences."
The rest of the article describes the treatment of some of these patients, many of whom were young, previously healthy, and experienced only mild symptoms. Unfortunately, bad as our current numbers look, the long-term effects from this disease could be even worse.

Bob Juch

#593 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:31 pm

My friend in South Carolina finally has been able to go off 24/7 oxygen almost three months after he got out of the hospital. :shock:

silverscreenselect

#594 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:22 pm

Covid denier dies from virus after hosting illegal gatherings
A prominent Covid denier has died from the virus after holding two gatherings at his home in Norway. Hans Kristian Gaarder died in the town of Gran, roughly 40 miles north of Oslo, on April 6, with subsequent tests showing he had coronavirus. The conspiracy theorist, 60, had hosted two illegal gatherings at his barn just days earlier, on March 26 and 27, NRK reported. Several guests have since been infected and passed the virus on to close contacts, the broadcaster added. Police are now working to establish the total number of people in attendance at the events.
Gaarder was a high profile conspiracy theorist, appearing on TV and editing an online magazine. He frequently likened Covid-19 to the common cold and shared a number of Facebook posts which were flagged as containing ‘false information’. In 2009, he and two others reported NRK and the country’s public health agency to the police for ‘engaging in extreme fear propaganda and lies regarding swine flu’.
I wonder if he was one of the reference sources that Spock relied on.

BackInTex

#595 Post by BackInTex » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:44 am

Meanwhile in Texas.....

Since the state opened backup 100% and removed the state mask mandate on March 10th:

The 7-day average new cases count is down 25%
Hospitalizations are down 35%
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#596 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:30 am

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:44 am
Meanwhile in Texas.....

Since the state opened backup 100% and removed the state mask mandate on March 10th:

The 7-day average new cases count is down 25%
Hospitalizations are down 35%
We're still getting about 700 new cases a day. Ducey canceled the mask mandate for schools. Some districts are keeping it.

BackInTex

#597 Post by BackInTex » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:59 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:30 am
Ducey canceled the mask mandate for schools. Some districts are keeping it.
Same here, but primarily the districts in dark blue areas.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

mrkelley23

#598 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:05 am

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:59 am
Bob Juch wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:30 am
Ducey canceled the mask mandate for schools. Some districts are keeping it.
Same here, but primarily the districts in dark blue areas.
In fairness, if I recall the Texas political map correctly, the "dark blue" areas have more to fear from an airborne virus, thanks to population density and poor air quality. In Indiana, the governor kept the mask mandate in place for every school district at least through the end of the school year. The rationale was that the vast majority of schoolchildren won't even be eligible to receive a vaccine by then.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob Juch

#599 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:58 pm

Ted Nugent tests positive for coronavirus after calling pandemic a ‘scam’

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 34274.html

Musician Ted Nugent has tested positive for coronavirus months after he said that the virus was “not a real pandemic”.

In his Christmas message shared on social media in December, Nugent called the worldwide crisis a “scammy pandemic” and said that people who wore masks were “sheep”.

On Monday (19 April), Nugent revealed on Facebook Live that he had caught Covid-19, admitting that “everybody” told him that he shouldn’t announce his diagnosis.

“I have had flu symptoms for the last 10 days, and I thought I was dying, just a clusterf***,” he said.

BackInTex

#600 Post by BackInTex » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:44 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:58 pm
Ted Nugent tests positive for coronavirus after calling pandemic a ‘scam’

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 34274.html

Musician Ted Nugent has tested positive for coronavirus months after he said that the virus was “not a real pandemic”.

In his Christmas message shared on social media in December, Nugent called the worldwide crisis a “scammy pandemic” and said that people who wore masks were “sheep”.

On Monday (19 April), Nugent revealed on Facebook Live that he had caught Covid-19, admitting that “everybody” told him that he shouldn’t announce his diagnosis.

“I have had flu symptoms for the last 10 days, and I thought I was dying, just a clusterf***,” he said.
He never said the disease wasn't real. I will say there is no pancreatic cancer pandemic, but I've lost 2 good friends to it over the past 5 years
~~ Thomas Jefferson