Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#601 Post by Estonut » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:10 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:52 pm
Vandal wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:50 pm
I knew it. He has E-SSS-P.
That's odd you should say that. Last week, I tweeted that I thought that Roku would make a deal to carry HBO Max before the weekend to make sure that no Roku users would miss out on Wonder Woman. The next day, the deal was finalized. Then, our local NBC station was in a dispute with DirecTV and AT&T Uverse, and I tweeted over the weekend that they needed to reach a deal quickly so people wouldn't miss out on Alex Trebek's last Jeopardy shows. On Sunday, the deal was finalized.

I'm psychic.
Shall we go look at your posts prior to 11/08/2016?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#602 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:41 am

Estonut wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:10 am
Vandal wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:50 pm
I knew it. He has E-SSS-P.
That's odd you should say that. Last week, I tweeted that I thought that Roku would make a deal to carry HBO Max before the weekend to make sure that no Roku users would miss out on Wonder Woman. The next day, the deal was finalized. Then, our local NBC station was in a dispute with DirecTV and AT&T Uverse, and I tweeted over the weekend that they needed to reach a deal quickly so people wouldn't miss out on Alex Trebek's last Jeopardy shows. On Sunday, the deal was finalized.

I'm psychic.
You can't predict when psychic abilities will manifest themselves,
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

SpacemanSpiff

#603 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:57 pm

Now South Carolina has pulled out of the Gasparilla Bowl in Tampa this weekend, citing COVID issues. This leaves UAB without a dance partner, and one isn't likely to show up at this point for a game four days out.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

silverscreenselect

#604 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:03 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:57 pm
Now South Carolina has pulled out of the Gasparilla Bowl in Tampa this weekend, citing COVID issues. This leaves UAB without a dance partner, and one isn't likely to show up at this point for a game four days out.
UAB may have walked the plank.

Bob Juch

#605 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:52 pm

Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:41 am
Estonut wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:10 am

I'm psychic.
You can't predict when psychic abilities will manifest themselves,
You can if you're psychic. :lol:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#606 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:00 pm

The NBA season is now two days old, and we get the first postponement. Houston and Oklahoma City, scheduled for tonight, has been postponed because Houston doesn't have the minimum eight players cleared to play the game. The NBA only released the first half of this season's 72-game schedule to allow postponements to be rescheduled during the second half.

The Gasparilla Bowl has now been canceled since South Carolina pulled out. UAB will be ending its season as well. UAB won the Conference USA championship and finished 6-3 despite having four games canceled during the regular season.

silverscreenselect

#607 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:03 pm

The Duke women's basketball team is ending its season because of coronavirus concerns. The team had a 3-1 record and had postponed three games already, including two conference games. They are the first Power 5 basketball program to cancel the season. As of now, the Duke men's team is still playing despite Coach K questioning why college basketball was continuing during the pandemic.

SpacemanSpiff

#608 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:15 pm

Looks like the SEC is likely to have another bowl game cancelled.

Mizzou is having a COVID outbreak, which may lead to the cancellation of the Music City Bowl in Nashville. Previously, South Carolina's woes led to the cancellation of the Gasparilla Bowl, and Tennessee had to pull out of the Liberty Bowl, which allowed Army to get a bowl bid.

EDIT: Cancellation is now official.

SpacemanSpiff

#609 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:18 pm

And yet another SEC bowl game has gone away.

The Texas Bowl, set to have Arkansas play TCU on New Year's Eve, has been cancelled due to injuries and COVID causing TCU's roster to dip below accepted standards.

silverscreenselect

#610 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:35 pm

Another sad footnote about 2020, courtesy of fivethirtyeight.com. During the year, seven members of the Baseball Hall of Fame died:

Lou Brock
Whitey Ford
Bob Gibson
Al Kaline
Joe Morgan
Phil Niekro
Tom Seaver

From 2016 to 2019, a total of seven Hall of Famers died. The last year in which as many as four members died was 2010, and that included Sparky Andserson, who was inducted as a manager.

A lot of other very good players who didn't make the Hall of Fame also died during the year. Here's a link to the article which has a more complete list:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ba ... this-year/

Vandal
Director of Promos

#611 Post by Vandal » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:38 am

Experts Warn Further Lockdowns Could Result In More Taylor Swift Albums

U.S.—Experts are warning against another deadly side effect of lockdowns, as a correlation has been found between stay-at-home orders and Taylor Swift making new albums.

While Swift has released two new albums over the past five months, experts believe her rate of album release may be growing exponentially, which could result in a disastrous outcome for America.

"We believe even another three months of lockdowns could be devastating, with Swift releasing at least seventeen more albums in that time frame," said Dr. Carson Paul of MIT. "The data is clear: we must end the lockdowns to prevent this from happening."

Experts have also found that lockdowns could increase the chances of celebrities releasing another "Imagine" cover, or perhaps, something even worse.

"The worst-case scenario, of course, is that Swift releases a new album, and bored celebrities immediately release a cover of the song," said Paul. "There is no coming back from that for humanity -- a real resonance cascade scenario that could end in catastrophe for Western civilization."

https://babylonbee.com/news/experts-war ... 0fPKzy0C6E
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#612 Post by T_Bone0806 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:27 am

Vandal wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:38 am
Experts Warn Further Lockdowns Could Result In More Taylor Swift Albums

U.S.—Experts are warning against another deadly side effect of lockdowns, as a correlation has been found between stay-at-home orders and Taylor Swift making new albums.

While Swift has released two new albums over the past five months, experts believe her rate of album release may be growing exponentially, which could result in a disastrous outcome for America.

"We believe even another three months of lockdowns could be devastating, with Swift releasing at least seventeen more albums in that time frame," said Dr. Carson Paul of MIT. "The data is clear: we must end the lockdowns to prevent this from happening."

Experts have also found that lockdowns could increase the chances of celebrities releasing another "Imagine" cover, or perhaps, something even worse.

"The worst-case scenario, of course, is that Swift releases a new album, and bored celebrities immediately release a cover of the song," said Paul. "There is no coming back from that for humanity -- a real resonance cascade scenario that could end in catastrophe for Western civilization."

https://babylonbee.com/news/experts-war ... 0fPKzy0C6E
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually heard..and liked...a couple of songs on her latest.

Please don't tell anyone.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Vandal
Director of Promos

#613 Post by Vandal » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:24 pm

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#614 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:40 pm

I heard that one of the local pharmacies would receive some Covid vaccines that they would provide to people of a certain age, so I rushed right over. Nay, not so. As often happens to our backwater boondocks, the vaccines were diverted to a larger municipality. Oh well -- our turn will arrive soon enough.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

silverscreenselect

#615 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:12 am

The University of Virginia women's basketball team has canceled the rest of its season, the second ACC team to do so. No men's teams have canceled the season (in part because they would take a much bigger TV revenue hit), but several are racking up multiple postponements. Georgia Tech last played on January 3 and has four postponements since then, including Saturday's upcoming game at NC State. Since conference teams play two games a week from now until the tournament, any postponements will be difficult to make up. No men's conference games have been officially canceled as yet, but it's just a matter of time.

SpacemanSpiff

#616 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:27 pm

Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:12 am
The University of Virginia women's basketball team has canceled the rest of its season, the second ACC team to do so. No men's teams have canceled the season (in part because they would take a much bigger TV revenue hit), but several are racking up multiple postponements. Georgia Tech last played on January 3 and has four postponements since then, including Saturday's upcoming game at NC State. Since conference teams play two games a week from now until the tournament, any postponements will be difficult to make up. No men's conference games have been officially canceled as yet, but it's just a matter of time.
UVA's women last played 33 days ago, and have some major injuries among their players; between COVID issues and injuries, they can't field a proper practice. Of course, the fact that they are 0-5 in the games played so far might have something to do with it.

silverscreenselect

#617 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:13 pm

For what it's worth, Mrs. SSS and I both have our appointments for the vaccine next week. It's a real hodgepodge in Georgia with various county agencies having sign-up forms that seem to fill quickly. Every time I looked online for all the counties near us, the next week of available appointments were booked. However, we signed up through the Emory Clinic (affiliated with Emory University), where we've both been patients for several years. We got callbacks within the week and have both booked for next week (separate days however since we came up on the list at different times).

silverscreenselect

#618 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:01 pm

Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:13 pm
For what it's worth, Mrs. SSS and I both have our appointments for the vaccine next week. It's a real hodgepodge in Georgia with various county agencies having sign-up forms that seem to fill quickly. Every time I looked online for all the counties near us, the next week of available appointments were booked. However, we signed up through the Emory Clinic (affiliated with Emory University), where we've both been patients for several years. We got callbacks within the week and have both booked for next week (separate days however since we came up on the list at different times).
Mrs. SSS and I got our first doses of the Pfizer vaccine today. The clinic had set up a vaccination center at a defunct Kohl's store in a shopping mall. They were fairly well organized with separate areas to fill out consent forms, process and confirm appointments, give the shots in about 25 separate bays, and then wait 15-30 minutes before leaving. My appointment was originally for Thursday, but they processed me through as well. My guess is that they were processing about 100 people an hour. It took Mrs. SSS and me an hour, including the time waiting in the recovery area. If they didn't have to do the extra paperwork to take me, it would probably have taken about 45 minutes total. It was all very orderly, and we booked our second vaccinations in three weeks as well. They told me that today was the first day that they were giving vaccinations to patients. Yesterday, they gave them to employees. For a first-day effort, it went surprisingly well.

silverscreenselect

#619 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:13 pm

Cici's (formerly Cici's Pizza) has filed for Chapter 11. For some reason, cheap, crappy pizza buffets are not popular during a pandemic. And, unlike many of its competitors, Cici's does not deliver pizzas. The chain currently has about 300 locations in 26 states.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/26/investin ... rketribbon

silverscreenselect

#620 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:04 pm

The ACC concluded its regular season today, which was supposed to be a 20-game schedule for each team. Not one team played 20 conference games. Only the University of Miami (which finished 13 out of 15 teams) played 19 games. Three others, Duke, Notre Dame, and Wake Forest, played 18 games. On the other end, Virginia Tech, Louisville, and Boston College only played 13 games each. The team which was probably hurt the most by cancellations was Duke, which will probably miss the NCAA this season for the first time with Coach K on the bench at season's end in 30 years (they finished last in the league one season in the 1990s when Coach K was sidelined due to back surgery). Duke finished 11-11, 9-9 in the conference. They lost out on conference games against FSU and Pitt, along with three nonconference games. Wins there might have put them on the bubble, but as it stands, they will probably have to win the ACC tournament to make the NCAA tournament.

earendel

#621 Post by earendel » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:31 am

Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:04 pm
The ACC concluded its regular season today, which was supposed to be a 20-game schedule for each team. Not one team played 20 conference games. Only the University of Miami (which finished 13 out of 15 teams) played 19 games. Three others, Duke, Notre Dame, and Wake Forest, played 18 games. On the other end, Virginia Tech, Louisville, and Boston College only played 13 games each. The team which was probably hurt the most by cancellations was Duke, which will probably miss the NCAA this season for the first time with Coach K on the bench at season's end in 30 years (they finished last in the league one season in the 1990s when Coach K was sidelined due to back surgery). Duke finished 11-11, 9-9 in the conference. They lost out on conference games against FSU and Pitt, along with three nonconference games. Wins there might have put them on the bubble, but as it stands, they will probably have to win the ACC tournament to make the NCAA tournament.
Louisville actually played 18 games, but only 13 were ACC games.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

silverscreenselect

#622 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:36 pm

The NCAA has announced a COVID standby plan for the upcoming tournament. All games will be played in Indianapolis, with teams staying in the bubble as long as they are active in the tournament. There will be four play-in games, same as before to be played on Tuesday and Wednesday, March 16 and 17, with the winners entering the 64 team bracket Thursday and Friday. However, the NCAA will designate the top four teams not selected to the tournament (the "first four out") as standby teams. If any team in the field has to drop out due to COVID concerns on or before March 16, one of the standby teams will take its place. After March 16, any team that drops out simply forfeits and its next scheduled opponent gets an automatic win.

There has already been one forfeit in the conference tournaments played last weekend (other tourneys are scheduled this weekend). Northern Iowa had to forfeit its scheduled quarterfinal game with Drake in the Missouri Valley Conference tourney due to COVID so Drake automatically advanced to the semifinals. UNI finished the season well below .500, so they wouldn't have continued to play in any event unless they somehow had won the tourney. Drake wound up advancing to the finals where they lost to #20 Loyola of Chicago. However, at 25-4. Drake is still likely to get an at-large NCAA bid.

SpacemanSpiff

#623 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:32 am

Duke has pulled out of the ACC tournament after a player tested positive for COVID, evidently after last night's game.

This likely will keep the Blue Devils out of the NCAA Tournament. The last time they missed was 1995.

Evidently they're having an outbreak on campus, per the Washington Post:
Between Friday and Monday, 102 Duke students tested positive for coronavirus amid the school’s fraternity rush process, according to the Chronicle. Most of them “either have a known Greek affiliation and/or are first-year male students in the Class of 2024,” Duke officials wrote in an email to undergraduates.

silverscreenselect

#624 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:41 am

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:32 am
Duke has pulled out of the ACC tournament after a player tested positive for COVID, evidently after last night's game.

This likely will keep the Blue Devils out of the NCAA Tournament. The last time they missed was 1995.
After last night's upset win against Louisville, Duke had moved up in the bracket projections to the "next four out," meaning that they were considered 73-76. It 's quite possible that another win today against Florida State would have moved them into the field. Of course, now we'll never know.

The NCAA has also announced that any team that has at least five players cleared for a game is eligible to play. In such a case, if a player fouls out or is injured, the team would have to continue with four players. It remains to be seen whether a team that's reduced to a handful of benchwarmers would actually participate or not.

Bob Juch

#625 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:44 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:32 am

Evidently they're having an outbreak on campus, per the Washington Post:
Between Friday and Monday, 102 Duke students tested positive for coronavirus amid the school’s fraternity rush process, according to the Chronicle. Most of them “either have a known Greek affiliation and/or are first-year male students in the Class of 2024,” Duke officials wrote in an email to undergraduates.
So in a few days, Louisville will probably pull out. :roll:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.