Game #204: Marquee Roulette

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
PanicinDetroit

Re: Game #204: Marquee Roulette

#76 Post by PanicinDetroit » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:09 am

48. SUSAN HAYWARD in David and Bathsheba; 103. JANET MARGOLIN in David and Lisa

jarnon

#77 Post by jarnon » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:29 am

I can't believe I found one!

109. MICHAEL KEATON in Batman Returns; 77. EMILY BLUNT in Mary Poppins Returns
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#78 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:57 pm

jarnon wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:29 am
I can't believe I found one!

109. MICHAEL KEATON in Batman Returns; 77. EMILY BLUNT in Mary Poppins Returns
Add 20. Jason Robards in Max Dugan Returns
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

earendel

#79 Post by earendel » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:59 pm

13. “Well the buzz from the bees is that the leopards are in a bit of a spot. And the baboons are going ape over this. Of course, the giraffes are acting like they're above it all. The tick birds are pecking on the elephants. I told the elephants to forget it, but they can't. The cheetahs are hard up, but I always say, cheetahs never prosper.”

This is ROWAN ATKINSON as Zazu from "The Lion King".

Could Richard Harris be on the list for "A Man Called Horse"?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

silverscreenselect

#80 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:47 pm

earendel wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:59 pm
13. “Well the buzz from the bees is that the leopards are in a bit of a spot. And the baboons are going ape over this. Of course, the giraffes are acting like they're above it all. The tick birds are pecking on the elephants. I told the elephants to forget it, but they can't. The cheetahs are hard up, but I always say, cheetahs never prosper.”

This is ROWAN ATKINSON as Zazu from "The Lion King".

Could Richard Harris be on the list for "A Man Called Horse"?
Harris is on the list for Horse.

And Atkinson is on the list for Mr. Bean's Holiday, which matches with Jacques Tati in Mr. Hulot's Holiday.

silverscreenselect

#81 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:49 pm

jarnon wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:18 pm
47. “Well now, what happened is ... ahm ... one of our base commanders, he had a sort of ... well, he went a little funny in the head. .. you know ... just a little ... funny. And, ah ... he went and did a silly thing....”
PETER SELLERS

98. The shortest road from Vidal Sassoon to Rodgers & Hammerstein is through this actress.
98 is Nancy Kwan, who was in The World of Suzie Wong
Sellers was in The World of Henry Orient

I don't think that Sellers is on here for Dr. Strangelove. First, it's not the entire title of the film, and second, I don't think that Frank is including titles like Mr., Dr., etc. which are really part of the person's name. He did an entire Mr. and Mrs. puzzle once if I remember.

silverscreenselect

#82 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:17 am

jarnon wrote:
86. On screen, she had the unusual distinction of playing love interest to both Marlon Brando and Sabu.
This is Jean Simmons, who was Young Bess, making that a triple.

franktangredi

#83 Post by franktangredi » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:37 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:49 pm
jarnon wrote:
47. “Well now, what happened is ... ahm ... one of our base commanders, he had a sort of ... well, he went a little funny in the head. .. you know ... just a little ... funny. And, ah ... he went and did a silly thing....”
PETER SELLERS

98. The shortest road from Vidal Sassoon to Rodgers & Hammerstein is through this actress.
98 is Nancy Kwan, who was in The World of Suzie Wong
Sellers was in The World of Henry Orient

I don't think that Sellers is on here for Dr. Strangelove. First, it's not the entire title of the film, and second, I don't think that Frank is including titles like Mr., Dr., etc. which are really part of the person's name. He did an entire Mr. and Mrs. puzzle once if I remember.
You're right, although I think I did slip up once here. Borderline case.

silverscreenselect

#84 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:29 pm

jarnon wrote:
25. “With the world so set on tearing itself apart, it don't seem like such a bad thing to me to want to put a little bit of it back together.”

119. “They've committed a murder! And it's not like taking a trolley ride together where they can get off at different stops. They're stuck with each other and they got to ride all the way to the end of the line and it's a one-way trip and the last stop is the cemetery.”
HARVEY KEITEL? EDWARD G. ROBINSON?
Working backwards to get this one. 119 is Edward G. Robinson. That's from Double Indemnity, and Robinson was in a movie called The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse (I'm kind of curious how that got past the censors in 1940).

The logical match to that is The Amazing Spider-Man, so I went looking for an Andrew Garfield film, and here it is. The quote is from Hacksaw Ridge.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#85 Post by Estonut » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:42 am

5. “King Kong ain't got s**t on me!”
DENZEL WASHINGTON

27. “You realize we're all going to go to college as virgins. They probably have special dorms for people like us.”
JASON BIGGS

49. “Oklahoma Kid. That's me. I'm the Oklahoma Kid. You f**kin' varmint! Dance. Dance. Yahoo, ya mother**ker!”
JOE PESCI

53. “Someone hurt my friend Lloyd, and not just on his face. He is having a hard time forgiving the person who hurt him. Do you, do you know what that means? To forgive? It's a decision we make to release a person from the feelings of anger we have at them. It's strange, but sometimes it's hardest of all to forgive someone we love.”
TOM HANKS (or FRED ROGERS?)

60. Though he earned a knighthood – primarily for his stage work – he never quite lived up to his early promise as “the next Olivier,” and his career came to be eclipsed by that of his third wife.
RICHARD BURTON (twice?)

65. "Rob, top five musical crimes perpetuated by Stevie Wonder in the '80s and '90s. Go! Sub-question: Is it in fact unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter-day sins? Is it better to burn out or fade away?”
JACK BLACK

66. In addition to her Oscars and her National Medal of the Arts, this actress was named a Dame Commander of the British Empire and a Chevalier of the Legion of Honor.
OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND??

67. "Couldn't you like me, just me the way I am? When we first started out, it was so good; we had fun. And ... and then you started in on the clothes. Well, I'll wear the darn clothes if you want me to, if you'll just, just like me.”
KIM NOVAK

81. “Just take this pen, please, and write me?”
IONE SKYE

85. “You know what? I respect women! I love women! I respect them so much that I completely stay away from them!“
STEVE CARELL

88. This actor is a licensed pilot and has black belts in budo-jujitsu, capoeira, hapkido, and kendo – but it was another hobby of his that nearly killed him in 1988.
GARY BUSEY

95. “Oh come off it, Major! You put me right off my fresh fried lobster, do you realize that? I'm now going to go back to my bed, I'm going to put away the best part of a bottle of scotch. And under normal circumstances, you being normally what I would call a very attractive woman, I would have invited you back to share my little bed with me and you might possibly have come. But you really put me off. I mean you ... you're what we call a regular army clown.”
DONALD SUTHERLAND

99. “We had different needs. I needed him to treat me decently and get a job, and he needed to empty my bank account and leave. “
HELEN SLATER

112. Another winner of the Triple Crown of Acting, he gave this explanation for why he would turn down a knighthood: "I became an actor to be a rogue and a vagabond and play by my own rules so I don't think it would be apt for the establishment to pull me in as one of their own, for I ain't.”
JEREMY IRONS

121. “After I killed them, I dropped the gun in the Thames, washed the residue off me hands in the bathroom of a Burger King, and walked home to await instructions. Shortly thereafter the instructions came through. ‘Get the fuck out of London, youse dumb fucks.’”
COLIN FARRELL

silverscreenselect

#86 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:11 am

Estonut wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:42 am
49. “Oklahoma Kid. That's me. I'm the Oklahoma Kid. You f**kin' varmint! Dance. Dance. Yahoo, ya mother**ker!”
JOE PESCI

66. In addition to her Oscars and her National Medal of the Arts, this actress was named a Dame Commander of the British Empire and a Chevalier of the Legion of Honor.
OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND??

85. “You know what? I respect women! I love women! I respect them so much that I completely stay away from them!“
STEVE CARELL

88. This actor is a licensed pilot and has black belts in budo-jujitsu, capoeira, hapkido, and kendo – but it was another hobby of his that nearly killed him in 1988.
GARY BUSEY

99. “We had different needs. I needed him to treat me decently and get a job, and he needed to empty my bank account and leave. “
HELEN SLATER

121. “After I killed them, I dropped the gun in the Thames, washed the residue off me hands in the bathroom of a Burger King, and walked home to await instructions. Shortly thereafter the instructions came through. ‘Get the fuck out of London, youse dumb fucks.’”
COLIN FARRELL
These confirm a few of my guesses and add another match.

Joe Pesci - My Cousin Vinny
Olivia de Havilland - My Cousin Rachel

Steve Carell - Get Smart
Michael Caine - Get Carter

Helen Slater - The Legend of Billie Jean
Will Smith - The Legend of Bagger Vance
Kim Novak - The Legend of Lylah Clare
(I guess Frank couldn't fit Klinton Spillsbury on the list for The Legend of the Lone Ranger)

Gary Busey - The Buddy Holly Story (making that a triple)

Colin Farrell - Saving Mr. Banks
Matt Damon - Saving Private Ryan

silverscreenselect

#87 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:27 am

Estonut wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:42 am
60. Though he earned a knighthood – primarily for his stage work – he never quite lived up to his early promise as “the next Olivier,” and his career came to be eclipsed by that of his third wife.
RICHARD BURTON (twice?)
Not Burton but Robert Stephens, whose third wife was Maggie Smith. He was in The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, making that a triple.

franktangredi

#88 Post by franktangredi » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:35 am

Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:11 am

These confirm a few of my guesses and add another match.

Joe Pesci - My Cousin Vinny
Olivia de Havilland - My Cousin Rachel

Steve Carell - Get Smart
Michael Caine - Get Carter

Helen Slater - The Legend of Billie Jean
Will Smith - The Legend of Bagger Vance
Kim Novak - The Legend of Lylah Clare
(I guess Frank couldn't fit Klinton Spillsbury on the list for The Legend of the Lone Ranger)
Don't think I didn't think of it!
Gary Busey - The Buddy Holly Story (making that a triple)

Colin Farrell - Saving Mr. Banks
Matt Damon - Saving Private Ryan
Since Farrell is defensible, I will step in and say that I didn't intend to use him in my 'Saving' group. I wanted to include Saving Mr. Banks, but he didn't technically play Mr. Banks.

jarnon

#89 Post by jarnon » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:04 pm

Uodated consolidation…

Identify the 125 actors in the clues below. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match them into 40 pairs and 20 triples according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

Eleven actors will be used twice and one actor will be used five times.

*1. MARLON BRANDO
*2. LAURA DERN
3. MERYL STREEP

4. His marriage to another Hollywood star lasted until his death – on their 57th wedding anniversary – in 1990.
HUME CRONYN? JOEL McCREA?

5. “King Kong ain't got s**t on me!”
DENZEL WASHINGTON

6. LIV ULLMAN
*7. BRADLEY COOPER
*8. TONI COLLETTE
**9. PAUL MUNI

10. Before achieving superstardom in the 1970s, this actor appeared in three of the best action movies of the 1960s – two war films and a western.
CHARLES BRONSON? STEVE McQUEEN?

*11. JEAN ARTHUR
12. LEO McKERN
*13. ROWAN ATKINSON
*14. BEAU & JEFF BRIDGES
*15. CHARLES LAUGHTON
16. CEDRIC HARDWICKE
17. RENEE ZELLWEGER
18. GIANCARLO GIANNINI
*19. DEBBIE REYNOLDS
**20. JASON ROBARDS
*21. HENRY FONDA
*22. RUTH GORDON
*23. BRAD PITT
*24. MICHAEL CAINE
*25. ANDREW GARFIELD
26. JACK BENNY

27. “You realize we're all going to go to college as virgins. They probably have special dorms for people like us.”
JASON BIGGS

28. STEVE McQUEEN
*29. BRIAN DONLEVY
*30. JOSEPH FIENNES
*31. RICHARD HARRIS
32. JENIFER ANISTON
*33. AL PACINO
*34. WILL SMITH

35. “I wouldn't marry you if you were young, which you can't be. If you were honest which you never were and If you were about to die, tomorrow which is too much to hope for!”

*36. RICHARD FARNSWORTH
*37. FREDRIC MARCH
*38. HELEN HAYES

39. “I've had this business: ‘Anything is better than nothing.’ There are times when nothing has to be better than anything.”

*40. JOHN MALKOVICH
41. JOE E. BROWN
42. GENE TIERNEY
43. MICHAEL J. FOX
*44. ELLEN DeGENERES
*45. JACK NICHOLSON
*46. DENNIS O'KEEFE
*47. PETER SELLERS
*48. SUSAN HAYWARD
*49. JOE PESCI

50. In 1946 and 1947, this star of movie musicals had the highest salary of any woman in the United States.
GINGER ROGERS? ESTHER WILLIAMS? BETTY GRABLE?

51. “Five years ago you didn't care about telling the truth. You and all your family, you just assumed that for all my education, I was still little better than a servant, still not to be trusted. Thanks to you, they were able to close ranks and throw me to the f**king wolves!”

*52. STEVE REEVES

53. “Someone hurt my friend Lloyd, and not just on his face. He is having a hard time forgiving the person who hurt him. Do you, do you know what that means? To forgive? It's a decision we make to release a person from the feelings of anger we have at them. It's strange, but sometimes it's hardest of all to forgive someone we love.”
TOM HANKS (or FRED ROGERS?)

54. She is within two nominations of tying Peter O’Toole’s Oscar record – assuming, of course, that she doesn’t win.
AMY ADAMS?

*55. NATALIE WOOD
*56. PETER USTINOV

57. “Yeah, f**k you, too. F**k me? F**k you, F**k you and this whole city and everyone in it. F**k the panhandlers, grubbing for money, and smiling at me behind my back. F**k the squeegee men dirtying up the clean windshield of my car - get a f**king job! F**k the Sikhs and the Pakistanis bombing down the avenues in decrepit cabs, curry steaming out their pores stinking up my day. Terrorists in f**king training. SLOW THE F**K DOWN! F**k the Chelsea boys with their waxed chests and pumped-up biceps”.

58. CHARLES COBURN
*59. GENE WILDER
*60. ROBERT STEPHENS
*61. JIM CAVIEZEL
*62. JACQUES TATI
*63. GARY COOPER
*64. TOMMY & JIMMY DORSEY

65. "Rob, top five musical crimes perpetuated by Stevie Wonder in the '80s and '90s. Go! Sub-question: Is it in fact unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter-day sins? Is it better to burn out or fade away?”
JACK BLACK

*66. OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND
*67. KIM NOVAK
*68. HAROLD LLOYD

69. “I wouldn't know him if he stood up in my soup!”

70. His filmography includes adaptations of plays by Shakespeare, Shaw, Robert E. Sherwood, and Philip Barry.

71. WILLIAM POWELL
72. ANNA NEAGLE
*73. KEVIN SPACEY
*74. ANNETTE BENING
75. MIA FARROW
*76. OSCAR ISAAC
*77. EMILY BLUNT
*78. JOAN FONTAINE
*79. ROBERT DONAT

80. He was one of the first British paratroopers to land at Normandy on D-Day – an experience he recreated in two different films about D-Day.
RICHARD TODD

81. “Just take this pen, please, and write me?”
IONE SKYE

*82. EDWARD ARNOLD
83. SHIRLEY MacLAINE
*84. GEORGE SEGAL
*85. STEVE CARELL
*86. JEAN SIMMONS
87. RICHARD BURTON
*88. GARY BUSEY
*89. JAMIE FOXX
*90. BOBBY VAN
*91. SEAN CONNERY
92. ALAN ALDA

93. “Then go on! Whistle it! Whistle as loud as you can!”

94. The mysterious man he played in a 1998 film was similar to – but far less sinister than – the mysterious man played by Sterling Holloway on an episode of The Twilight Zone.

95. “Oh come off it, Major! You put me right off my fresh fried lobster, do you realize that? I'm now going to go back to my bed, I'm going to put away the best part of a bottle of scotch. And under normal circumstances, you being normally what I would call a very attractive woman, I would have invited you back to share my little bed with me and you might possibly have come. But you really put me off. I mean you ... you're what we call a regular army clown.”
DONALD SUTHERLAND

96. ERROL FLYNN
*97. TIM BLAKE NELSON
*98. NANCY KWAN
*99. HELEN SLATER
*100. ISABELLE ADJANI

101. ROBERT PRESTON
*102. JOHN HEARD
*103. JANET MARGOLIN
*104. SAMMY DAVIS, JR.
105. MATT DAMON
*106. WANDA HENDRIX
107. WALLACE BEERY
*108. ROBERT REDFORD
*109. MICHAEL KEATON
*110. SHIRLEY BOOTH
*111. MOLLY RINGWALD

112. Another winner of the Triple Crown of Acting, he gave this explanation for why he would turn down a knighthood: "I became an actor to be a rogue and a vagabond and play by my own rules so I don't think it would be apt for the establishment to pull me in as one of their own, for I ain't.”
JEREMY IRONS

113. KATHLEEN TURNER
114. JOHN GAVIN
*115. ORSON WELLES
116. JANE FONDA
*117. ANNE BAXTER
*118. BRENDAN FRASER
*119. EDWARD G. ROBINSON
*120. ELLIOTT GOULD

COLIN FARRELL

*122. DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS, SR.
*123. BETTE DAVIS
124. DORIS DAY
*125. JIMMY STEWART

TANGREDI
Two (or three) actors play the title role in movies with titles that are identical except for the names of the title characters.

MATCHES
115. ORSON WELLES in Citizen Kane; 2. LAURA DERN in Citizen Ruth
52. STEVE REEVES in Hercules Unchained; 89. JAMIE FOXX in Django Unchained
21. HENRY FONDA in Young Mr. Lincoln; 59. GENE WILDER in Young Frankenstein; 86. JEAN SIMMONS in Young Bess
90. BOBBY VAN in The Affairs of Dobie Gillis; 78. JOAN FONTAINE in The Affairs of Susan; 37. FREDRIC MARCH in The Affairs of Cellini
30. JOSEPH FIENNES in Shakespeare in Love; 84. GEORGE SEGAL in Blume in Love
102. JOHN HEARD in Cutter's Way; 33. AL PACINO in Carlito's Way
63. GARY COOPER in Meet John Doe; 23. BRAD PITT in Meet Joe Black
29. BRIAN DONLEVY in The Great McGinty; 108. ROBERT REDFORD in The Great Gatsby
15. CHARLES LAUGHTON in The Private Life of Henry VIII; 122. DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS, SR. in The Private Life of Don Juan; 60. ROBERT STEPHENS in The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes
20. JASON ROBARDS in The Ballad of Cable Hogue; 97. TIM BLAKE NELSON in The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
7. BRADLEY COOPER in All About Steve; 117. ANNE BAXTER in All About Eve
22. RUTH GORDON in What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice?; 123. BETTE DAVIS in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
1. MARLON BRANDO in Viva Zapata; 56. PETER USTINOV in Viva Max
31. RICHARD HARRIS in A Man Called Horse; 104. SAMMY DAVIS, JR. in A Man Called Adam
73. KEVIN SPACEY in The Life of David Gale; 9. PAUL MUNI in The Life of Emile Zola
11. JEAN ARTHUR in The Devil and Miss Jones; 82. EDWARD ARNOLD in The Devil and Daniel Webster; 120. ELLIOTT GOULD in The Devil and Max Devlin
68. HAROLD LLOYD in The Sin of Harold Diddlebock; 38. HELEN HAYES in The Sin of Madelon Claudet
100. ISABELLE ADJANI in The Story of Adele H.; 9. PAUL MUNI in The Story of Louis Pasteur
55. NATALIE WOOD in Inside Daisy Clover; 76. OSCAR ISAAC in Inside Llewyn Davis
79. ROBERT DONAT in Goodbye Mr. Chips; 19. DEBBIE REYNOLDS in Goodbye Charlie
45. JACK NICHOLSON in About Schmidt; 110. SHIRLEY BOOTH in About Mrs. Leslie
8. TONI COLLETTE in Muriel's Wedding; 111. MOLLY RINGWALD in Betsy's Wedding
14. BEAU & JEFF BRIDGES in The Fabulous Baker Boys; 64. TOMMY & JIMMY DORSEY in The Fabulous Dorseys
36. RICHARD FARNSWORTH in The Straight Story; 125. JIMMY STEWART in The Stratton Story and The Glenn Miller Story; 88. GARY BUSEY in The Buddy Holly Story
74. ANNETTE BENING in Being Julia; 40. JOHN MALKOVICH in Being John Malkovich
61. JIM CAVIEZEL in The Passion of the Christ; 118. BRENDAN FRASER in The Passion of Darkly Noon
44. ELLEN DeGENERES in Finding Dory; 91. SEAN CONNERY in Finding Forrester
46. DENNIS O'KEEFE in Brewster's Millions; 106. WANDA HENDRIX in Miss Tatlock's Millions
48. SUSAN HAYWARD in David and Bathsheba; 103. JANET MARGOLIN in David and Lisa
109. MICHAEL KEATON in Batman Returns; 77. EMILY BLUNT in Mary Poppins Returns; 20. JASON ROBARDS in Max Dugan Returns
13. ROWAN ATKINSON in Mr. Bean's Holiday; 62. JACQUES TATI in Mr. Hulot's Holiday.
98. NANCY KWAN in The World of Suzie Wong; 47. PETER SELLERS in The World of Henry Orient
119. EDWARD G. ROBINSON in The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse; 25. ANDREW GARFIELD in The Amazing Spider-Man
49. JOE PESCI in My Cousin Vinny; 66. OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND in My Cousin Rachel
85. STEVE CARELL in Get Smart; 24. MICHAEL CAINE in Get Carter
99. HELEN SLATER in The Legend of Billie Jean; 34. WILL SMITH in The Legend of Bagger Vance; 67. KIM NOVAK in The Legend of Lylah Clare
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Vandal
Director of Promos

#90 Post by Vandal » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:38 pm

57. “Yeah, f**k you, too. F**k me? F**k you, F**k you and this whole city and everyone in it. F**k the panhandlers, grubbing for money, and smiling at me behind my back. F**k the squeegee men dirtying up the clean windshield of my car - get a f**king job! F**k the Sikhs and the Pakistanis bombing down the avenues in decrepit cabs, curry steaming out their pores stinking up my day. Terrorists in f**king training. SLOW THE F**K DOWN! F**k the Chelsea boys with their waxed chests and pumped-up biceps”.
EDWARD NORTON

69. “I wouldn't know him if he stood up in my soup!”
BRENDA BLETHYN
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

mrkelley23

#91 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:08 pm

27. Jason Biggs was Darren Silverman in Saving Silverman.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

jarnon

#92 Post by jarnon » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:55 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:08 pm
27. Jason Biggs was Darren Silverman in Saving Silverman.
And 69. Brenda Blethyn was Grace Trevethen in Saving Grace.
Last edited by jarnon on Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#93 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:58 pm

16. Cedric Hardwicke in Stanley and Livingstone
116. Jane Fonda in Stanley and Iris

5. Denzel Washington in The Mighty Quinn
107. Wallace Beery in The Mighty McGurk

silverscreenselect

#94 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:12 pm

jarnon wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:04 pm
94. The mysterious man he played in a 1998 film was similar to – but far less sinister than – the mysterious man played by Sterling Holloway on an episode of The Twilight Zone.
I think that Frank is going for Jim Carrey in The Cable Guy here, but The Cable Guy came out in 1996. The Truman Show came out in 1998 but isn't as good a fit for the clue.

If Carrey is the answer, he was in Bruce Almighty, which would match with 85. Steve Carell in Evan Almighty (and set up another possible match for Carrey if there's another actor in a The __________ Show movie).

silverscreenselect

#95 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:15 pm

17. Renee Zellweger in Bridget Jones's Baby
75. Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby

franktangredi

#96 Post by franktangredi » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:41 am

Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:12 pm
jarnon wrote:
I think that Frank is going for Jim Carrey in The Cable Guy here, but The Cable Guy came out in 1996. The Truman Show came out in 1998 but isn't as good a fit for the clue.

If Carrey is the answer, he was in Bruce Almighty, which would match with 85. Steve Carell in Evan Almighty (and set up another possible match for Carrey if there's another actor in a The __________ Show movie).
I think you have the Sterling Holloway character right: the mysterious television repairman in "What's in the Box?" Jim Carrey in The Cable Guy was a cable installer, not a tv repairman.

There's another actor who played a mysterious television repairman in a 1998 film - quite a popular film, too. And his powers were just as mysterious.

franktangredi

#97 Post by franktangredi » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:42 am

Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:58 pm
16. Cedric Hardwicke in Stanley and Livingstone
116. Jane Fonda in Stanley and Iris

5. Denzel Washington in The Mighty Quinn
107. Wallace Beery in The Mighty McGurk
I was thinking of The Mighty Barnum, but that works, too.

mellytu74

#98 Post by mellytu74 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:39 am

franktangredi wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:41 am
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:12 pm
jarnon wrote:

I think you have the Sterling Holloway character right: the mysterious television repairman in "What's in the Box?" Jim Carrey in The Cable Guy was a cable installer, not a tv repairman.

There's another actor who played a mysterious television repairman in a 1998 film - quite a popular film, too. And his powers were just as mysterious.
DON KNOTTS IN PLEASANTVILLE!!!!

I have been looking for him. I should have realized this was it.

Gene Tierney - Ghost & Mrs. Muir
Don Knotts - Ghost & Mr. Chicken

And I bet we have an Incredible match for Incredible Mr. Limpet.

mrkelley23

#99 Post by mrkelley23 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:50 pm

Edward Norton was The Incredible Hulk.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

silverscreenselect

#100 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:04 pm

jarnon wrote:
70. His filmography includes adaptations of plays by Shakespeare, Shaw, Robert E. Sherwood, and Philip Barry.
This is Lesley Howard, who was in Romeo and Juliet, while 56. Peter Ustinov was in Romanoff and Juliet.