Game #204: Marquee Roulette

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mellytu74

Re: Game #204: Marquee Roulette

#26 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:01 pm

100. She completes a list that includes Willem Dafoe, Daniel Day Lewis, Kirk Douglas, Jose Ferrer, Ed Harris, Marcia Gay Harden, Salma Hayek, and Anthony Quinn.

All of these actors were nominated for Oscars for playing artists.

Van Gogh, Christy Brown, Van Gogh, Toulouse Lautrec, Pollock, Lee Krasner, Kahlo, Gauguin.

That said, I have NO idea who the actress is.

silverscreenselect

#27 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:50 pm

jarnon wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:10 pm
14. As children in the late 1950s-early 60s, they each appeared as guests on a popular TV adventure series starring their father.
BEAU & JEFF BRIDGES

63. “Make no mistake, I shall regret the absence of your keen mind; unfortunately, it is inseparable from an extremely disturbing body.”
GARY COOPER

64. Each of these bandleaders appeared as themselves in a variety of 1940s musicals, including one based on the film referenced in the preceding clue.
BENNY GOODMAN
Question 64 refers to EACH of these bandleaders, and the answer is Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey. They appeared together in I Dood It, which had the same general plot hook as Ball of Fire.

Now it's interesting that Beau and Jeff Bridges only appeared together in one film, The Fabulous Baker Boys. In addition to I Dood it, the Dorseys appeared together in The Fabulous Dorseys, a biography of themselves. Now this can't be a coincidence.

Bobby Van wasn't in many movies but he starred in The Affairs of Dobie Gillis.
And Joan Fontaine was in The Affairs of Susan.
28. He and Paul Newman were the first actors to receive “staggered-but-equal” billing in a Hollywood film, with one name appearing to the right and higher than the other.
This isn't Redford but Steve McQueen in The Towering Inferno.

McQueen was The Cincinnati Kid.
Gene Wilder was The Frisco Kid.

Orson Welles was Citizen Kane.
Laura Dern was Citizen Ruth.

Cheating a bit since this is a remake but

William Powell was My Man Godfrey
David Niven was My Man Godfrey

Since there are 20 triples here, some of the pairs I've identified might also be two-thirds of a triple.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#28 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:16 pm

franktangredi wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:38 am
36. He drove a chariot in The Ten Commandments, rode a racehorse in A Day at the Races, and fought gladiators in Spartacus – but you won’t find his name in the credits for any of them.

87. “He's dead. I'm crippled. You're lost. Do you suppose it's always like that? I mean war.”
36 is Woody Strode, who was in Sergeant Rutledge. And Gary Cooper was Sergeant York.

87. is Richard Burton in The Longest Day.

silverscreenselect

#29 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:19 pm

Steve Reeves was Hercules Unchained.
Jamie Foxx was Django Unchained.

Reeves was also (I cheated on this one) in a movie called Sandokan the Great, which would match with Richard Burton as Alexander the Great.

silverscreenselect

#30 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:24 pm

I'm not sure if this works or not, but Henry Fonda was Young Mr. Lincoln and Gene Wilder was Young Frankenstein.

mellytu74

#31 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:25 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:50 pm

Bobby Van wasn't in many movies but he starred in The Affairs of Dobie Gillis.
And Joan Fontaine was in The Affairs of Susan.

Frederic March was Cellini in Affairs of Cellini

silverscreenselect

#32 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:25 pm

Joseph Fiennes was Shakespeare in Love. George Segal was Blume in Love.

If Matt Damon is on there for Saving Private Ryan, then the match could be with Saving Mr. Banks. The Mr. Banks referred to is Emma Thompson's father, who was played by Colin Ferrell.

If Sean Connery is on there for Finding Forrester, then the match could be with Ellen de Generes for Finding Dory.

And if Michael Caine is on there for Get Carter, the match could be with Steve Carell for Get Smart. All of which assume that these actors are among the unknown clues.

franktangredi

#33 Post by franktangredi » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:06 pm

The Tangredi needs a bit of definition/refinement, but that will come soon enough. I knew the Dorseys would give the show away!

silverscreenselect

#34 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:15 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:26 pm
102. is John Heard, from Prison Break. He played Governor Frank Tancredi.
Heard was in Cutter's Way; Al Pacino was in Carlito's Way.

I think the refinement here is that the actor has to play the duplicated name. Thus Heard was Cutter and Pacino was Carlito.

mrkelley23

#35 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:33 pm

Hey, I think I got one!

63. Gary Cooper was in MEET JOHN DOE

23. Brad Pitt was in MEET JOE BLACK.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mrkelley23

#36 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:53 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:01 pm
100. She completes a list that includes Willem Dafoe, Daniel Day Lewis, Kirk Douglas, Jose Ferrer, Ed Harris, Marcia Gay Harden, Salma Hayek, and Anthony Quinn.

Van Gogh, Christy Brown, Van Gogh, Toulouse Lautrec, Pollock, Lee Krasner, Kahlo, Gauguin.

Blatant lookup, but it appears to be Isabelle Adjani, who was nominated for Camille Claudel in 1988.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mellytu74

#37 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:12 pm

mellytu74 wrote:

Alicia Vikander in The Danish Girl (Gerda Wegener)

mellytu74

#38 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:16 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:53 pm
mellytu74 wrote:

Blatant lookup, but it appears to be Isabelle Adjani, who was nominated for Camille Claudel in 1988.

She was my first thought of that but she wasn't a painter. I came up with Alicia Vikander after going through names. Also a blatant lookup.

franktangredi

#39 Post by franktangredi » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:36 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:12 pm
mellytu74 wrote:

Alicia Vikander in The Danish Girl (Gerda Wegener)
Dammit, I missed her. I was looking for Isabel Adjani.

jarnon

#40 Post by jarnon » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:38 pm

Updated consolidation…

Identify the 125 actors in the clues below. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match them into 40 pairs and 20 triples according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

Eleven actors will be used twice and one actor will be used five times.

1. “What have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully? If you'd come to me in friendship, this scum who ruined your daughter would be suffering this very day. And if by some chance an honest man like yourself made enemies they would become my enemies. And then, they would fear you.”
MARLON BRANDO

*2. LAURA DERN

3. “Twelve fox years ago, you made a promise to me, while we were caged inside that fox trap, that if we survived, you would never steal another chicken, turkey, goose, duck, or a squab - whatever they are, and I believed you. Why? Why did you lie to me?”
MERYL STREEP

4. His marriage to another Hollywood star lasted until his death – on their 57th wedding anniversary – in 1990.
HUME CRONYN? JOEL McCREA?

5. “King Kong ain't got s**t on me!”

6. Appropriately, she made her Broadway debut in a revival of A Doll’s House and also starred in an unsuccessful musical adaptation of I Remember Mama.
LIV ULLMAN

7. “There's a friend of mine who came a long way to be here and she wrote a great song and I'd just like her to sing it. I think it's pretty f**king good.”
BRADLEY COOPER

8. She and Sally Field won Emmy awards for playing similar roles 32 years apart.
TONI COLLETTE

9. “I steal.”
PAUL MUNI

10. Before achieving superstardom in the 1970s, this actor appeared in three of the best action movies of the 1960s – two war films and a western.
CHARLES BRONSON? STEVE McQUEEN?

11. “See, this is a floor plan of the apartment. Here's my room, here's your room, here's the bathroom and here's the kitchen. Now, my alarm goes off at seven o'clock, and we both get up. At seven one, I enter the bathroom. Then you go down to get the milk, and by seven five you've started the coffee. One minute later, I leave the bathroom, and a minute after that, you enter the bathroom. And that's when I'm starting to dress. Three minutes later, I'm having my coffee, and a minute after that at seven twelve, you leave the bathroom. At seven thirteen, I put on my eggs, and I leave to finish dressing. Then you put on your shoes, and take off my eggs at seven sixteen. At seven seventeen, you start to shave. At seven eighteen, I eat my eggs, and at seven twenty-one, I'm in the bathroom fixing my hair, and at seven twenty-four, you're in the kitchen putting on your eggs. At seven twenty-five, you make your bed. Seven twenty-six, I make my bed. And then while you're eating your eggs, I take out the papers and cans. At seven twenty-nine, you're washing the dishes, and at seven thirty, we're all finished. You see?”
JEAN ARTHUR

12. As far as I know, he is the only actor to have supported Meryl Streep, Brooke Shields, and the Beatles – though not all in the same movie.
LEO McKERN

13. “Well the buzz from the bees is that the leopards are in a bit of a spot. And the baboons are going ape over this. Of course, the giraffes are acting like they're above it all. The tick birds are pecking on the elephants. I told the elephants to forget it, but they can't. The cheetahs are hard up, but I always say, cheetahs never prosper.”

14. As children in the late 1950s-early 60s, they each appeared as guests on a popular TV adventure series starring their father.
BEAU & JEFF BRIDGES

15. “I never realized till now how ugly I am, because you're so beautiful. I'm not a man! I'm not a beast! I'm about as shapeless as the man in the moon!”
CHARLES LAUGHTON

16. He played the chief villain in the movie from which the above quote is taken.
CEDRIC HARDWICKE

17. “On the surface, everything seems fine. I've got this great guy. And he loves my kid. And he sure does like me a lot. And I can't live like that. It's not the way I'm built.”
RENEE ZELLWEGER

18. He completes a list that also includes Roberto Benigni, Marcello Mastroianni, and Massimo Troisi.
GIANCARLO GIANNINI?

19. “Movies are entertaining enough for the masses but the personalities on the screen just don't impress me. I mean they don't talk, they don't act, the just make a lot of dumb show.”
DEBBIE REYNOLDS

20. His distinguished stage career included plays by Odets, Hellman, Pinter, Kaufman & Hart, Behrman, and – most definitively – Eugene O’Neill.
JASON ROBARDS

*21. HENRY FONDA

22. This veteran stage and screen star was Lieutenant Columbo’s oldest adversary.
RUTH GORDON

*23. BRAD PITT

24. His screen co-stars have included Laurence Olivier, Steve Martin, and the Muppets.
MICHAEL CAINE

25. “With the world so set on tearing itself apart, it don't seem like such a bad thing to me to want to put a little bit of it back together.”

26. At a Passover seder in 1922, this comedian was introduced to his future wife – and sometimes foil – by Harpo Marx.
JACK BENNY

27. “You realize we're all going to go to college as virgins. They probably have special dorms for people like us.”

28. He and Paul Newman were the first actors to receive “staggered-but-equal” billing in a Hollywood film, with one name appearing to the right and higher than the other.
STEVE McQUEEN

29. “Everybody does his duty at Zinderneuf, dead or alive! We'll make those Arabs think we've got a thousand men.”

*30. JOSEPH FIENNES

31. “A plague on you. A plague on the whole stinking lot of ya, without morals or laws. And all you whores got no laws. You got no honor. It's no wonder you all emigrated to America, because they wouldn't have you in England. You're a lot of savages, that's what you all are. A bunch of bloody savages. A plague on you. I'll be back. “

32. In different screen comedies, she posed as the wives of Jason Sudeikis and Adam Sandler.
JENIFER ANISTON?

*33. AL PACINO

34. He said the film he most regretted making was a reboot of an old TV show – but at least it netted him a #1 record.
WILL SMITH?

35. “I wouldn't marry you if you were young, which you can't be. If you were honest which you never were and If you were about to die, tomorrow which is too much to hope for!”

*36. WOODY STRODE
*37. FREDRIC MARCH

38. She and the actor in the preceding clue are the only actors to have won both the Oscar and the Tony twice.
HELEN HAYES

39. “I've had this business: ‘Anything is better than nothing.’ There are times when nothing has to be better than anything.”

40. His filmography includes roles previously played onscreen by Gérard Philipe, Arthur Kennedy, and Lon Chaney, Jr.
MALKOVICH?

41. “Well … nobody’s perfect.”
JOE E. BROWN

42. Her onscreen husbands included Don Ameche, John Lund, John Payne, and – unfortunately for him – Cornel Wilde.
GENE TIERNEY

43. “I guess you guys aren't ready for that yet. But your kids are gonna love it.”
MICHAEL J. FOX

44. She is the only woman to have hosted the Oscars, the Grammys, and the Primetime Emmys.
WHOOPI GOLDBERG?

45. “There is nothing on this earth sexier, believe me, gentlemen, than a woman you have to salute in the morning. Promote 'em all, I say, 'cause this is true: if you haven't gotten a b**job from a superior officer, well, you're just letting the best in life pass you by.”
JACK NICHOLSON

46. It being the 1940s, nothing really untoward happened when he went up to one girl’s room and got another’s garter.
DENNIS O'KEEFE

47. “Well now, what happened is ... ahm ... one of our base commanders, he had a sort of ... well, he went a little funny in the head. .. you know ... just a little ... funny. And, ah ... he went and did a silly thing....”
PETER SELLERS

48. The reason there has never been a film version of The Catcher in the Rye is that the he refused to allow any other screen adaptations of his work after seeing the 1949 movie starring this actress.
SUSAN HAYWARD

49. “Oklahoma Kid. That's me. I'm the Oklahoma Kid. You f**kin' varmint! Dance. Dance. Yahoo, ya mother**ker!”

50. In 1946 and 1947, this star of movie musicals had the highest salary of any woman in the United States.
GINGER ROGERS? ESTHER WILLIAMS? BETTY GRABLE?

51. “Five years ago you didn't care about telling the truth. You and all your family, you just assumed that for all my education, I was still little better than a servant, still not to be trusted. Thanks to you, they were able to close ranks and throw me to the f**king wolves!”

*52. STEVE REEVES

53. “Someone hurt my friend Lloyd, and not just on his face. He is having a hard time forgiving the person who hurt him. Do you, do you know what that means? To forgive? It's a decision we make to release a person from the feelings of anger we have at them. It's strange, but sometimes it's hardest of all to forgive someone we love.”

54. She is within two nominations of tying Peter O’Toole’s Oscar record – assuming, of course, that she doesn’t win.
GLENN CLOSE?

55. “Well, when we're young, we look at thing very idealistically I guess. And I think Woodsworth means that ... that when we're grow-up ... then, we have to ... forget the ideals of youth ... and find strength….”

56. His first Oscar nomination and his first Oscar both came for playing men in togas.

57. “Yeah, f**k you, too. F**k me? F**k you, F**k you and this whole city and everyone in it. F**k the panhandlers, grubbing for money, and smiling at me behind my back. F**k the squeegee men dirtying up the clean windshield of my car - get a f**king job! F**k the Sikhs and the Pakistanis bombing down the avenues in decrepit cabs, curry steaming out their pores stinking up my day. Terrorists in f**king training. SLOW THE F**K DOWN! F**k the Chelsea boys with their waxed chests and pumped-up biceps”.

58. During his long career, this character actor worked under the direction of Alfred Hitchcock, Ernst Lubitsch, Preston Sturges, Howard Hawks, Sam Wood, Clarence Brown, and – in his Oscar-winning role – George Stevens.
CHARLES COBURN

*59. GENE WILDER

60. Though he earned a knighthood – primarily for his stage work – he never quite lived up to his early promise as “the next Olivier,” and his career came to be eclipsed by that of his third wife.

61. “I want you to remember this word, okay? It's kind of like a code word: Yahoo. Can you remember that?”

62. This French actor/writer/director was selected by Entertainment Weekly as one of the 50 Greatest Directors of All Time – even those his body of work consisted of only six feature-length comedies.

**63. GARY COOPER

64. Each of these bandleaders appeared as themselves in a variety of 1940s musicals, including one based on the film referenced in the preceding clue.
TOMMY & JIMMY DORSEY

65. "Rob, top five musical crimes perpetuated by Stevie Wonder in the '80s and '90s. Go! Sub-question: Is it in fact unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter-day sins? Is it better to burn out or fade away?”

66. In addition to her Oscars and her National Medal of the Arts, this actress was named a Dame Commander of the British Empire and a Chevalier of the Legion of Honor.

67. "Couldn't you like me, just me the way I am? When we first started out, it was so good; we had fun. And ... and then you started in on the clothes. Well, I'll wear the darn clothes if you want me to, if you'll just, just like me.”

68. While doing publicity photos for the Roach studios, this actor mistook a bomb for a prop, resulting in the loss of the thumb and index finger of his right hand – which did not slow down his highly athletic film career.
HAROLD LLOYD

69. “I wouldn't know him if he stood up in my soup!”

70. His filmography includes adaptations of plays by Shakespeare, Shaw, Robert E. Sherwood, and Philip Barry.

71. “The only difference between a derelict and a man is a job.”
WILLIAM POWELL

72. During a brief sojourn in Hollywood during World War II, this quintessentially British actress appeared in adaptations of three light-hearted Broadway musicals.
ANNA NEAGLE?

73. “What the cops never figured out, and what I know now, was that these men would never break, never lie down, never bend over for anybody. Anybody.”

74. This star’s screen spouses have included Julianne Moore and the actor in the preceding clue.

75. “I just met a wonderful new man. He's fictional but you can't have everything.”
MIA FARROW

76. Onscreen he has played both a Marvel villain and the patron saint of fathers.
OSCAR ISAAC

77. “It's for Paris, I'm on this new diet. Well, I don't eat anything and when I feel like I'm about to faint I eat a cube of cheese. I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.”
EMILY BLUNT

*78. JOAN FONTAINE

79. “There are 20 million women in this island and I've got to be chained to you.”

80. He was one of the first British paratroopers to land at Normandy on D-Day – an experience he recreated in two different films about D-Day.
DAVID NIVEN

81. “Just take this pen, please, and write me?”

82. In a classic Studio One teleplay, he originated a role that would later be played on the big screen by Ed Begley.
EDWARD ARNOLD?

83. “Shut up and deal.”
SHIRLEY MacLAINE

*84. GEORGE SEGAL

85. “You know what? I respect women! I love women! I respect them so much that I completely stay away from them! “

86. On screen, she had the unusual distinction of playing love interest to both Marlon Brando and Sabu.

87. “He's dead. I'm crippled. You're lost. Do you suppose it's always like that? I mean war.”
RICHARD BURTON

88. This actor is a licensed pilot and has black belts in budo-jujitsu, capoeira, hapkido, and kendo – but it was another hobby of his that nearly killed him in 1988.

*89. JAMIE FOXX
*90. BOBBY VAN

91. “Welcome to Chicago. This town stinks like a whorehouse at low tide.”
SEAN CONNERY

92. He wrote, directed, and starred in a 1981 comedy in which his wife was played by another member of the classic CBS Saturday night lineup of the mid-1970s. Got that?
ALAN ALDA

93. “Then go on! Whistle it! Whistle as loud as you can!”

94. The mysterious man he played in a 1998 film was similar to – but far less sinister than – the mysterious man played by Sterling Holloway on an episode of The Twilight Zone.

95. “Oh come off it, Major! You put me right off my fresh fried lobster, do you realize that? I'm now going to go back to my bed, I'm going to put away the best part of a bottle of scotch. And under normal circumstances, you being normally what I would call a very attractive woman, I would have invited you back to share my little bed with me and you might possibly have come. But you really put me off. I mean you ... you're what we call a regular army clown.”

96. This Australian actor made his film debut in a role that, two years later, would be more memorably played by Clark Gable.
ERROL FLYNN

97. “Them syreens did this to Pete. They loved him up and turned him into a horny toad.”
TIM BLAKE NELSON

98. The shortest road from Vidal Sassoon to Rodgers & Hammerstein is through this actress.

99. “We had different needs. I needed him to treat me decently and get a job, and he needed to empty my bank account and leave. “

100. ISABELLE ADJANI

101. “Oh, god ... there's nothing more inconvenient than an old queen with a head cold.”
ROBERT PRESTON

*102. JOHN HEARD

103. “He is always very depressed. I think that if he'd been a successful criminal, he would have felt better. You know, he never made the Ten Most Wanted list. It's very unfair voting; it's who you know.”
JANET MARGOLIN

104. Handed the wrong envelope at the 1964 Oscar ceremony, he quipped, “Wait till the NAACP hears about this!”
SAMMY DAVIS, JR.?

105. “They say once you grow crops somewhere, you have officially colonized it. So, technically, I colonized Mars. In your face, Neil Armstrong!”
MATT DAMON

106. Her first marriage to an actor and war hero did not last – at least in part because, during an episode of PTSD, he held her at gunpoint.
SHIRLEY TEMPLE

107. “Gee, Sadie was a good skirt. I shouldn't have slipped her that ant poison. I should have just battered her in the jaw a few times.”
WALLACE BEERY

108. He was the first of three consecutive actors to win Oscars for directing.
ROBERT REDFORD?

109. “We've got two stories here: a story about degenerate clergy, and a story about a bunch of lawyers turning child abuse into a cottage industry. Which story do you want us to write? Because we're writing one of them.”
MICHAEL KEATON

110. Of the 25 individuals to achieve the Triple Crown of Acting, she and Jack Albertson were the only ones to win their Emmys for starring roles in sitcoms.
SHIRLEY BOOTH

111. “I can't believe my grandmother actually felt me up.”
MOLLY RINGWALD

112. Another winner of the Triple Crown of Acting, he gave this explanation for why he would turn down a knighthood: "I became an actor to be a rogue and a vagabond and play by my own rules so I don't think it would be apt for the establishment to pull me in as one of their own, for I ain't.”

113. “I happen to know that in the future I will not have the slightest use for algebra, and I speak from experience.”
KATHLEEN TURNER

114. This actor succeeded Charlton Heston and was succeeded by Dennis Weaver.
JOHN GAVIN

*115. ORSON WELLES

116. In 1982, this star released what became the best-selling VHS of all time.
JANE FONDA

117. “Oh, Moses, Moses, you stubborn, splendid, adorable fool!”
ANNE BAXTER

118. He has appeared onscreen with Bugs Bunny, Pauly Shore … and Sir Ian McKellan.

119. “They've committed a murder! And it's not like taking a trolley ride together where they can get off at different stops. They're stuck with each other and they got to ride all the way to the end of the line and it's a one-way trip and the last stop is the cemetery.”
HARVEY KEITEL? EDWARD G. ROBINSON?

120. Though they achieved film stardom at about the same time, he never appeared on screen with his first wife – perhaps remembering how she had stolen a big Broadway musical out from under him.

121. “After I killed them, I dropped the gun in the Thames, washed the residue off me hands in the bathroom of a Burger King, and walked home to await instructions. Shortly thereafter the instructions came through. ‘Get the fuck out of London, youse dumb fucks.’”

122. Reportedly, D. W. Griffith did not like this actor’s habit of spontaneously scaling buildings or jumping fences and recommended that he go into Keystone comedies instead.
DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS, SR.

123. “You're going to have a big wedding whether you like it or not! And if you don't like it, you don't have to come!”
BETTE DAVIS

124. She reportedly turned down several offers to receive the Kennedy Center Honors because her fear of flying precluded her from attending the ceremony.
DORIS DAY?

125. “I wouldn't give you two cents for all your fancy rules if, behind them, they didn't have a little bit of plain, ordinary, everyday kindness and a little looking out for the other fella, too.”
JIMMY STEWART

TANGREDI
Two (or three) actors play the title role in movies with titles that are identical except for the names of the title characters.

MATCHES
115. ORSON WELLES in Citizen Kane; 2. LAURA DERN in Citizen Ruth
36. WOODY STRODE in Sergeant Rutledge; 63. GARY COOPER in Sergeant York
52. STEVE REEVES in Hercules Unchained; 89. JAMIE FOXX in Django Unchained
21. HENRY FONDA in Young Mr. Lincoln; 59. GENE WILDER in Young Frankenstein
90. BOBBY VAN in The Affairs of Dobie Gillis; 78. JOAN FONTAINE in The Affairs of Susan; 37. FREDRIC MARCH in The Affairs of Cellini
30. JOSEPH FIENNES in Shakespeare in Love; 84. GEORGE SEGAL in Blume in Love
102. JOHN HEARD in Cutter's Way; 33. AL PACINO in Carlito's Way
63. GARY COOPER in Meet John Doe; 23. BRAD PITT in Meet Joe Black
Last edited by jarnon on Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

franktangredi

#41 Post by franktangredi » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:54 pm

I don't know if Woody Strode is a legit alternate answer, but it's not what I had in mind. It will all work itself out. Good job!

silverscreenselect

#42 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:00 pm

jarnon wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:38 pm
29. “Everybody does his duty at Zinderneuf, dead or alive! We'll make those Arabs think we've got a thousand men.”
Brian Donlevy in Beau Geste.

He was The Great McGinty and Robert Redford (108) was The Great Gatsby (and also The Great Waldo Pepper).

silverscreenselect

#43 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:26 pm

jarnon wrote:
15. “I never realized till now how ugly I am, because you're so beautiful. I'm not a man! I'm not a beast! I'm about as shapeless as the man in the moon!”
CHARLES LAUGHTON

122. Reportedly, D. W. Griffith did not like this actor’s habit of spontaneously scaling buildings or jumping fences and recommended that he go into Keystone comedies instead.
DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS, SR.
Laughton was in The Private Life of Henry VIII
Fairbanks was in The Private Life of Don Juan

If Robert Stephens is in this puzzle, then we have a triple with The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes.

silverscreenselect

#44 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:29 pm

jarnon wrote:
20. His distinguished stage career included plays by Odets, Hellman, Pinter, Kaufman & Hart, Behrman, and – most definitively – Eugene O’Neill.
JASON ROBARDS

97. “Them syreens did this to Pete. They loved him up and turned him into a horny toad.”
TIM BLAKE NELSON
Robards was in The Ballad of Cable Hogue
Nelson was in The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

I guess we can use Netflix titles.

silverscreenselect

#45 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:32 pm

jarnon wrote:
7. “There's a friend of mine who came a long way to be here and she wrote a great song and I'd just like her to sing it. I think it's pretty f**king good.”
BRADLEY COOPER

117. “Oh, Moses, Moses, you stubborn, splendid, adorable fool!”
ANNE BAXTER
Cooper was in All About Steve
Baxter was in All About Eve

silverscreenselect

#46 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:38 pm

jarnon wrote:
22. This veteran stage and screen star was Lieutenant Columbo’s oldest adversary.
RUTH GORDON

123. “You're going to have a big wedding whether you like it or not! And if you don't like it, you don't have to come!”
BETTE DAVIS
I had to double check this one to confirm Ruth Gordon was the actress from this film.

Gordon was in What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice?
Davis was in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

silverscreenselect

#47 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:46 pm

jarnon wrote:
1. “What have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully? If you'd come to me in friendship, this scum who ruined your daughter would be suffering this very day. And if by some chance an honest man like yourself made enemies they would become my enemies. And then, they would fear you.”
MARLON BRANDO

56. His first Oscar nomination and his first Oscar both came for playing men in togas.
56. is Peter Ustinov, who was in Viva Max
Brando was in Viva Zapata.

earendel

#48 Post by earendel » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:21 am

#31 is RICHARD HARRIS, who played English Bob in Unforgiven.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

franktangredi

#49 Post by franktangredi » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:12 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:29 pm
jarnon wrote:
JASON ROBARDS

TIM BLAKE NELSON
Robards was in The Ballad of Cable Hogue
Nelson was in The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

I guess we can use Netflix titles.
Since they are eligible for Oscars now, yes.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#50 Post by Vandal » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:38 am

earendel wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:21 am
#31 is RICHARD HARRIS, who played English Bob in Unforgiven.
RICHARD HARRIS was in A Man Called Horse

SAMMY DAVIS, JR, was in A Man Called Adam
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster