A cute little math problem

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

A cute little math problem

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:37 pm

There are 3 dice in a bag: 6-sided, 12-sided and 20-sided. We pick one die at random, roll it, and it gives us a number N. What's the probability that when we pick another die and roll it, we'll get a number smaller than N, if N = 4?
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

Re: A cute little math problem

#2 Post by jarnon » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:59 pm

First die is a cube:
probability 5/9
if second die is a dodecahedron, probability of <4 is 1/4
if second die is an icosahedron, probability of <4 is 3/20

First die is a dodecahedron:
probability 5/18
if second die is a cube, probability of <4 is 1/2
if second die is an icosahedron, probability of <4 is 3/20

First die is an icosahedron:
probability 1/6
if second die is a cube, probability of <4 is 1/2
if second die is a dodecahedron, probability of <4 is 1/4

Probability of <4 is (5/9) x ((1/2) x (1/4) + (1/2) x 3/20)) + (5/18) x ((1/2) x (1/2) + (1/2) x (3/20)) + (1/6) x ((1/2) x (1/2) + (1/2) x (1/4)) = 19/72 = 0.263888...
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:41 am

I like jarnon's calculations, except that he seems to be calculating the probability of which die was picked first based on the probability of that die rolling a 4. The problem clearly states that the first die was chosen randomly; therefore, those probabilities in the final calculation are all 1/3. Obviously, if we replayed this experiment and got certain different rolls--say, 17*--we could infer more about which die was rolled first.

*And in that particular case, the final answer would be 1.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#4 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:45 am

From a realistic standpoint, if you look at the first die to see that it rolled 4, it's going to be obvious from sight which die it is, which would completely change the calculations...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Vandal
Director of Promos

#5 Post by Vandal » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:55 am

I will go on the record stating that this math problem is neither cute nor little.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:38 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:41 am
I like jarnon's calculations, except that he seems to be calculating the probability of which die was picked first based on the probability of that die rolling a 4. The problem clearly states that the first die was chosen randomly; therefore, those probabilities in the final calculation are all 1/3. Obviously, if we replayed this experiment and got certain different rolls--say, 17*--we could infer more about which die was rolled first.

Jarnon's solution is correct. Once you know that the first roll is a 4, that makes it more likely that your random choice was the six-sided die.

The easy way to see that 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 can't be right is to realize that if you average the probabilities that your first die was the six-sided die across all numbers from 1 to 20, the answer for the six-sided die has to be 1/3. But that probability is clearly 0 for any number greater than 6, so it has to be greater than 1/3 for the numbers 1 through 6, or the average will end up less than 1/3. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:13 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:38 am
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:41 am

Jarnon's solution is correct. Once you know that the first roll is a 4, that makes it more likely that your random choice was the six-sided die.

The easy way to see that 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 can't be right is to realize that if you average the probabilities that your first die was the six-sided die across all numbers from 1 to 20, the answer for the six-sided die has to be 1/3. But that probability is clearly 0 for any number greater than 6, so it has to be greater than 1/3 for the numbers 1 through 6, or the average will end up less than 1/3. --Bob
I withdraw my objection. Without realizing it, my counter-example was pointing at what you just explained: while the choice of the first die is random, the value of N infers, to a variable extent, which die was chosen.

And lb13 has a valid point, if we pick the die and we see what it is after it rolls (or even if we feel the shape of it as we draw it from the bag). So the problem has to be rephrased so that another party randomly picks the die and tells us that the result was N, without letting us see the die. :P

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:31 pm

I had to take my neurons back in time 50 years, but I came up with Jarnon's solution.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.