Your Favorite (Clean)Story

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Your Favorite (Clean)Story

#1 Post by Spock » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:40 pm

Tgirl's weirdest thread got me thinking about my favorite story-Anybody else is free to add their own.

I had an interesting relationship with my female RA (Resident Assistant) my sophomore year of college. In retrospect, I have never had chemistry like that with any other girl (including Mrs S). We went to a couple of movies as friends that year.

The next year (my junior year) she was gone for most of the year. I think she worked on a cruise ship or something. I remember running into her once and visiting for awhile.

One of the first days back my senior year, I was walking on campus with 3 male friends and we ran into her. In our short conversation, we made plans to go to a movie that night.

After she left, one of the guys said "Did that girl just ask you out on a date?"

32 years later, it can still brighten my day when I think of him saying "Did that girl just ask you out on a date?"

Things heated up with her some that fall, but not to the level that it probably could have if I hadn't been such a dumbass. Bit slow on the uptake, I was.

In retrospect, the main reason I didn't push real hard was that I thought she was going to Nashville to work in the music industry and I didn't see how that would work.

Oddly enough, she ended up being a music teacher in my general area-so I was scared of nothing-but still "Did that girl just ask you out on a date?" is a pretty fun memory.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: Your Favorite (Clean)Story

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:59 pm

Y'all will think this is boring since it's mostly political, but two people I have immense respect for said pretty much the same thing to me years apart.

When I was president of the local League of Women Voters, a former LWV president told me that I have a great gift for taking divergent views and bringing them to consensus. The latter incident was a gentleman who said I did a great job of herding cats, the ones who comprise the local Democratic party, so that something could actually get done.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

tlynn78

#3 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:49 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:59 pm
Y'all will think this is boring since it's mostly political, but two people I have immense respect for said pretty much the same thing to me years apart.

When I was president of the local League of Women Voters, a former LWV president told me that I have a great gift for taking divergent views and bringing them to consensus. The latter incident was a gentleman who said I did a great job of herding cats, the ones who comprise the local Democratic party, so that something could actually get done.
Herding cats is an excellent skill to have - Casey Girl would be proud!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Spock

#4 Post by Spock » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:08 am

Spock wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:40 pm
Tgirl's weirdest thread got me thinking about my favorite story-Anybody else is free to add their own.

I had an interesting relationship with my female RA (Resident Assistant) my sophomore year of college. In retrospect, I have never had chemistry like that with any other girl (including Mrs S). We went to a couple of movies as friends that year.

The next year (my junior year) she was gone for most of the year. I think she worked on a cruise ship or something. I remember running into her once and visiting for awhile.

One of the first days back my senior year, I was walking on campus with 3 male friends and we ran into her. In our short conversation, we made plans to go to a movie that night.

After she left, one of the guys said "Did that girl just ask you out on a date?"

32 years later, it can still brighten my day when I think of him saying "Did that girl just ask you out on a date?"

Things heated up with her some that fall, but not to the level that it probably could have if I hadn't been such a dumbass. Bit slow on the uptake, I was.

In retrospect, the main reason I didn't push real hard was that I thought she was going to Nashville to work in the music industry and I didn't see how that would work.

Oddly enough, she ended up being a music teacher in my general area-so I was scared of nothing-but still "Did that girl just ask you out on a date?" is a pretty fun memory.
I would add that I had my most erotic (oddly, in a perfectly clean manner) and, later, my most romantic moments with the girl in question. Maybe that is a "Weird" thing LOL.

My most erotic and romantic moments in a relationship that didn't go very far physically or, even emotionally. Although, admittedly, she didn't hit me upside the head hard enough with a baseball bat and say "Get a clue, buddy." LOL.

With the benefit of hindsight, I am pretty sure now that she wanted things to go farther

mikehardware

#5 Post by mikehardware » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:06 pm

My favorite story is about meeting the young lady who became my wife over 40 years ago. The Tennessee Tech alumni association has a "lovebirds" contest for Valentine's Day, and our story won the first year. With a few modifications, here it is.

In a backpacking/camping class, fall quarter 1978, the most beautiful woman in the world walked into the classroom. I knew instantly I had to get to know her, which would be extremely difficult since I was/am a painfully shy computer nerd. (Note: It was wildly out of character for me to want to meet a young lady. What I didn’t know at the time was that she had prayed for a boyfriend the week before meeting me. This was the first time I got worked over by the Holy Spirit.)

Luckily, I found her in the cafeteria when it opened in the morning. Mustering up all my courage, I said, “Good morning.” She politely replied, and kept walking. I kept greeting her every day for weeks like that. I never saw her elsewhere on campus. (It turns out she was doing something called “studying” - a foreign concept to me at the time.) At last it was time for the camping trip - surely I’d get to impress her with all my great skills. However, she wasn’t on the trip - midterms were the next week, so she was taking the trip later with another class. Deep disappointment turned into relief as I struggled through the hike, bringing up the rear. On Monday, I said, “Good morning! Would you like to hear about the trip?” She said yes! The ice had finally broken, I got to enjoy breakfast with her, telling her all the details, and getting to know her.

I wanted a date, and agonized trying to figure out what to do and how to ask her. (I’d only been on a couple of dates before, and those were terrible. Note: Like the young ladies involved didn’t talk with me the whole time bad.) The Backdoor Playhouse was going to present “Everything on Pacific Avenue,” which met all the needs. It was close, so we could walk. (That meant my decrepit 1962 Rambler station wagon with 8-track player wouldn’t have to be used.) The play was inexpensive, but suitably classy enough to possibly impress my dream date. I practiced what I would say for days. Then over breakfast, I asked. She said yes, then there was an awkward pause. In all my preparation, I’d had my “Oh, that’s all right” speech down, but hadn’t prepared for her accepting. I recovered from the shock momentarily and told her I’d meet her at her dorm about 15 minutes before the play started.

The night of the play, I was incredibly nervous. I decided to get to her dorm way early, to give me the chance to calm down. As I entered Unit C, she was already sitting in the lobby. Now we had a good bit of time to fill, so we wound up talking about our families, and getting along wonderfully. She was so easy to talk with! After the play, as we walked back through the darkness behind Kittrell Hall, she held my hand and I floated on air. We were inseparable after that.

There’s so much more to our love story at Tech the next year, including saying “I love you” the first time at open house. That summer quarter I was at Tech and I traveled to see her every weekend (and my differential equations grade proves it.) My cooperative education assignment in Louisville, Kentucky kept us apart temporarily, but deepened our love.

In January, I drove all night to Cookeville, and snuck into the girls’ dorm early in the morning to propose to her. We married in June 1980, and were back at Tech Village that fall, finishing our degrees in 1982. We’ve been married over a third of a century now, and both our children also graduated from TTU.

Spock

#6 Post by Spock » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:28 pm

I have a friend (an acquaintance really) who met his wife circa 1990 in a way that would be impossible today.

He was from rural Minnesota and working in Los Angeles. She was a North Carolina girl in town for job interview with a company with NC operations.

He struck up a conversation on the bus and they really seemed to hit it off. However, he neglected to get her name and contact info.

This being 1990, the company actually gave him her name, or more likely, gave her his name or whatever. As far as I know, they are still married and living in NC 30 years later.