Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#351 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:01 am

The Southwestern Athletic Conference, whose members include Grambling State, Jackson State, and Southern, has canceled its fall sports schedule including football. The conference competes at the FCS level, although its champion does not participate in the FCS playoffs, instead playing the MEAC champion in the Celebration Bowl in Atlanta (the MEAC has also canceled football). With this latest cancellation, 47 out of the 127 FCS-level schools will not play football this season.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

SpacemanSpiff

#352 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:16 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:01 am
With this latest cancellation, 47 out of the 127 FCS-level schools will not play football this season.
There is some scuttlebutt that the reason that the SEC and Big 12 are holding off announcing a conference-only schedule for 2020 is because many of those schools each play a game with an FCS school, which provides a lot of funding to the lower-tier school.

The conventional wisdom is that if the bigger schools cancel out first, they are on the hook to provide the $500,000 to $750,000 payout to the smaller schools, but if the FCS schools cancel first, the big schools wouldn't have to pay at all.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

silverscreenselect

#353 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:48 pm

Major league baseball has expanded the playoffs to 16 teams this year, 8 per league. The first and second place winners in each division will qualify along with two wild cards. All ties for seeding or to determine the last playoff team will be determined mathematically (head to head, intradivision record, record in the last 20 games). First round series will be best of three with all three games at the home field of the higher-seeded team. Second round will be best of five (2-2-1) and third round and world series best of seven (2-3-2).

Also, at his press briefing today, Trump announced that he will throw out the first pitch at a game at Yankee Stadium on August 15. It's a Saturday night game against the Red Sox.

silverscreenselect

#354 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:58 am

To reduce travel, there's an interesting quirk to the current MLB schedule to reduce travel. In past years, teams played their divisional rivals 19 times, with one team hosting 10 games and the other nine. However, this year, teams will play divisional rivals 10 times. Two of those series will be divided 7-3, with one team hosting seven games and the other three. The other two series will be divided 6-4. So, the LA Dodgers, who beat the Giants last night to open the season, will host the Giants a total of seven times, but play only three games in San Francisco. Similarly, the Yankees will host the Red Sox for seven games and go to Boston for only three.

This would be a lot bigger deal if there were actual fans in the stands at these games.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#355 Post by Vandal » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:43 pm

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

silverscreenselect

#356 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:50 pm

Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:48 pm
Also, at his press briefing today, Trump announced that he will throw out the first pitch at a game at Yankee Stadium on August 15. It's a Saturday night game against the Red Sox.
Trump has now "postponed" his first pitch ceremony. He says he will do it later in the season.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#357 Post by Vandal » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:23 am

From Twitter:

Eight more players and two coaches with the Miami Marlins have tested positive for COVID-19, as an outbreak has spread throughout their clubhouse and brought the total of cases in recent days to at least 14. Tonight's game has been cancelled.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

SpacemanSpiff

#358 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:32 am

The Virginia High School League has voted to postpone fall sports; football will begin in March 2021.

silverscreenselect

#359 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:07 am

Vandal wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:23 am
From Twitter:

Eight more players and two coaches with the Miami Marlins have tested positive for COVID-19, as an outbreak has spread throughout their clubhouse and brought the total of cases in recent days to at least 14. Tonight's game has been cancelled.
The Phillies-Yankees game tonight in Philadelphia has also been postponed. The Marlins played in Philadelphia over the weekend.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#360 Post by Vandal » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:48 pm

Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

silverscreenselect

#361 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:14 pm

Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:07 am
Vandal wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:23 am
From Twitter:

The Phillies-Yankees game tonight in Philadelphia has also been postponed. The Marlins played in Philadelphia over the weekend.
Four more Marlins players have tested positive. They have suspended their season until next week at the earliest, when they will determine how, and with what players, to proceed. The Yankees-Phillies game today has also been postponed. The Yankees will now play in Baltimore tomorrow and Thursday (Baltimore was originally supposed to host the Marlins tomorrow). As a result of these moves, the Phillies will miss four games with the Yankees and the Marlins will miss four with Baltimore and three with Washington. No word on any makeup dates for any of these games.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#362 Post by Vandal » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:47 pm

Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

silverscreenselect

#363 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:34 am

More college sports cancellations and postponements, this time up in Spock's neck of the woods.

The Pioneer League, an FCS conference whose members include Butler, Dayton, and San Diego, announced they will play a conference-only football schedule this year, if at all. Play will begin no earlier than September 26. Their conference may be the most widespread geographically of any.

The Summit League has announced that it will postpone the start of fall sports season until September 23. Several league members, including defending FCS champion North Dakota State, play football, but the conference does not sponsor the sport, so those schools play in the Missouri Valley Conference.

silverscreenselect

#364 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:57 pm

The ACC has released tentative plans for this season. The member schools (including, for this season only, Notre Dame) will play an 11-game schedule, with 10 conference games and one non-conference game. Presumably, those schools with traditional non-conference rivals like GT-Georgia, FSU-Florida, and Clemson-SC would keep that rivalry game as their non-conference game. The non-conference game must be played in-state. The season would begin September 12 and would include two bye weeks in the schedule and a championship game featuring the two teams with best records. The conference would not be divided into divisions this season. As with everything else, this schedule is subject to change due to health and public safety requirements.

SpacemanSpiff

#365 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:42 pm

Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:57 pm
The ACC has released tentative plans for this season. The member schools (including, for this season only, Notre Dame) will play an 11-game schedule, with 10 conference games and one non-conference game. Presumably, those schools with traditional non-conference rivals like GT-Georgia, FSU-Florida, and Clemson-SC would keep that rivalry game as their non-conference game. The non-conference game must be played in-state. The season would begin September 12 and would include two bye weeks in the schedule and a championship game featuring the two teams with best records. The conference would not be divided into divisions this season. As with everything else, this schedule is subject to change due to health and public safety requirements.
I have read that with the Fighting Irish being part of the ACC football package that they are eligible to play in the league championship game. Also, the TV money will be split equally among all members, including ND's NBC contract.

SpacemanSpiff

#366 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:46 am

The SEC muckity-mucks are meeting (via Zoom) today about their football options. Of course, it won't be official until the school presidents vote, but it looks like they are leaning towards a 10+1 format like the ACC did.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020 ... ision.html
https://www.dawgnation.com/football/sec ... IXIQzrEmhY

The plus one idea (for both conferences) is for four of the SEC East schools (UGA, Florida, South Carolina, and Kentucky) who play an in-state rivalry game against ACC foes.

An interesting note in the al.com article, addressing something I had mentioned previously:
It would also impact the Group of 5 conferences which typically get big paydays from SEC schools. Alabama, for instance, is contracted to pay a combined $3.55 million this season to get Georgia State, Kent State and Tennessee-Martin to travel to Bryant-Denny Stadium. All of those games would be off the table and could trigger the force majeure clause in those game contracts. The Group of 5 conferences have been waiting to see what the Power 5 ones decide first, but may have no choice but to follow along if all their big non-conference games get wiped off the schedule.
Well, (if tickets are available and the game is actually played), there's always The Third Sunday In October, played in Knoxville this year, that I can get to.

SpacemanSpiff

#367 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:51 am

And something near and dear to my heart (of course, given my moniker here) is on the ropes -- the US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville.

https://www.al.com/news/2020/07/us-spac ... tions.html

Like all things involving tourism, it has been hard-hit by COVID-19. They are seeking $1.5 mill in private donations.

https://charity.gofundme.com/o/en/campa ... espacecamp

SpacemanSpiff

#368 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:40 pm

And now the SEC has followed suit.

Ten game season starting 9/26. Conference games only, which blows up four of the ACC "plus one" games. SEC Championship pushed forward to December 19.

This, of course, assumes it gets off the ground in the first place.

EDIT: Of course, they officially canceled the Advocare Classic in Dallas minutes after this announcement. Since I bought the tix directly from the Cowboys box office, the refunds are already in the pipeline. I also managed to get my money (points) back from American Airlines without penalty nor fees.
Last edited by SpacemanSpiff on Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

silverscreenselect

#369 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:49 pm

The Phillies have had two members of the clubhouse staff test positive and have canceled this weekend's scheduled series with Toronto. The four games they had scheduled with the Yankees earlier this week (two in Philadelphia and two in NY) had already been canceled, so they are now the second team to lose a week from their schedule and have to figure out ways to make it up. The Phillies had hosted the Marlins in their season-opening series last weekend.

silverscreenselect

#370 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:55 am

The next shoe drops. Multiple members of the St. Louis Cardinals have tested positive and their game today with Milwaukee has peen postponed. Unlike the earlier postponements and cancellations, which all occurred in and around a series between the Marlins and Phillies last weekend, this one involves teams in the Central Divisions of MLB. Under the new schedule, teams only play teams in their own division or the corresponding division of the other league.

silverscreenselect

#371 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:05 pm

Beginning Saturday, doubleheaders in Major League Baseball will be seven innings each. This rule is already in effect in many minor leagues and colleges. The extra inning rule will still be in effect, so the eighth and all subsequent innings of a doubleheader game will begin with a runner on second base.

silverscreenselect

#372 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:13 pm

The Northeast Conference, an FCS conference, has also canceled fall sports including football. Football-playing members include Long Island University and Wagner. This means that over 50 of the schools belonging to the FCS have canceled their football seasons. It should be noted that most of these conferences rarely advanced far in the FCS playoffs.

SpacemanSpiff

#373 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:42 pm

Two COVID things on the personal front.

Just found out one of my high school classmates who still lives in NW Alabama had contracted COVID, is in the hospital, and is not doing well. That kind of brings things close to home.

And, trying to do the right thing, I went to a plasma center to donate COVID antibodies and try to help others even though I hate needles. (I found out two months ago I had them; I'll spare y'all the details, but was obviously asymptomatic). Didn't get very far because it turns out two of my prescriptions don't play well with others so I can't donate.

Dang.

silverscreenselect

#374 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:52 am

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:42 pm
Two COVID things on the personal front.

Just found out one of my high school classmates who still lives in NW Alabama had contracted COVID, is in the hospital, and is not doing well. That kind of brings things close to home.

And, trying to do the right thing, I went to a plasma center to donate COVID antibodies and try to help others even though I hate needles. (I found out two months ago I had them; I'll spare y'all the details, but was obviously asymptomatic). Didn't get very far because it turns out two of my prescriptions don't play well with others so I can't donate.

Dang.
Sorry to hear about your friend Spiff.

silverscreenselect

#375 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:51 pm

Boston Red Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez is out for the season as a result of COVID=19 related complications. He had been diagnosed as positive before the start of Red Sox training camp and said he became quite ill, but he was eventually cleared to return. However, he has developed coronary myocarditis and will not be playing for the remainder of the season.