Teachers are people too

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Buffacuse

Teachers are people too

#1 Post by Buffacuse » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:58 pm

OK, in my daughter's school district in Austin, the following statistics:

Parents representing 78% of students want their kids back in school--not surprisingly, heavily skewed toward younger kids where daycare is more of an issue;

However, only 33% of teachers want to go back to in-person teaching.

Math was never my strong suit, but those numbers can't work.

No teacher should be forced back into a school until this is contained. Daycare for my kid is important, an in-school education is obviously better, but neither of those factors are worth one single teacher's life anywhere.

kroxquo

Re: Teachers are people too

#2 Post by kroxquo » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:07 am

As a teacher, I can tell you that I have already had a conversation with my principal about the literal fear I have about going back in the classroom this year. My adult daughter survived covid but has lung damage that we do not know whether it is permanent or not. A close friend and mentor died from covid a week ago. I have discussed with my wife and children my thoughts on final arrangements. I don't believe that it is realistic that children are going to follow distancing and masking rules - even the high schoolers I teach. Our school is going back on a limited basis with the student body divided into A & B groups with A coming Monday & Tuesday and B coming on Thursday & Friday with school closed on Wednesday for disinfecting. The groups will be online the days they are not on campus. All parents have the option to keep their kids home and do all online if they prefer.

On the one hand, I feel guilty about having a pity party because I've been home since March working online and then having the summer while other essential workers are on the job. That includes my wife who is an EMT who has been transporting covid patients every shift. But on the other hand that even though I love my job, I don't want to risk my life which is what I am being asked to do.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

Spock

#3 Post by Spock » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:12 am

Buff>>>"but neither of those factors are worth one single teacher's life anywhere."<<<

If that is your standard-we will never have school and we might as well all just sit in the corner and pick the lint out of our navels.

There is always a flu season and I would think that at least one teacher dies every year from that year's version of the flu.

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:51 am

Spock wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:12 am
There is always a flu season and I would think that at least one teacher dies every year from that year's version of the flu.
How many thousands of deaths is this going to take to convince you that we're not dealing with the common flu? And how many tens of thousands of people who spend weeks in intensive care and may suffer lifelong health consequences?
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:22 pm

kroxquo wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:07 am
As a teacher, I can tell you that I have already had a conversation with my principal about the literal fear I have about going back in the classroom this year. My adult daughter survived covid but has lung damage that we do not know whether it is permanent or not. A close friend and mentor died from covid a week ago. I have discussed with my wife and children my thoughts on final arrangements. I don't believe that it is realistic that children are going to follow distancing and masking rules - even the high schoolers I teach. Our school is going back on a limited basis with the student body divided into A & B groups with A coming Monday & Tuesday and B coming on Thursday & Friday with school closed on Wednesday for disinfecting. The groups will be online the days they are not on campus. All parents have the option to keep their kids home and do all online if they prefer.

On the one hand, I feel guilty about having a pity party because I've been home since March working online and then having the summer while other essential workers are on the job. That includes my wife who is an EMT who has been transporting covid patients every shift. But on the other hand that even though I love my job, I don't want to risk my life which is what I am being asked to do.
I really can't think of another group of workers that's being asked to share air in an enclosed environment with the same group of individuals for extended periods of time.

I hope that in the end sanity prevails and you are not asked to do this. Whatever you end up deciding, I'm sure you'll have the support and good wishes of all of us here. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

a1mamacat

#6 Post by a1mamacat » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:46 pm

Spock wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:12 am
Buff>>>"but neither of those factors are worth one single teacher's life anywhere."<<<

If that is your standard-we will never have school and we might as well all just sit in the corner and pick the lint out of our navels.

So, which of your family members are you willing to sacrifice? We only need you to donate one.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

tlynn78

#7 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:45 am

Essential workers everywhere face this every day, and most of us have since the start. It sucks, but we have to emerge at some point.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:18 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:45 am
Essential workers everywhere face this every day, and most of us have since the start. It sucks, but we have to emerge at some point.
We may have to emerge at some point, but when numbers are going up rapidly in many states, now is not that point. It's like suggesting we go outside at the height of a hurricane because we "have to emerge at some point."

The sad thing is that we keep having variations on this same argument since March and every time, states ignore what the doctors say and every time the doctors are proved right and things get worse. Europe (especially Italy and Spain) went through much worse than we did in March, but they listened to their doctors' advice. We listened to Donald Trump. Our economy sure hasn't improved and the pandemic has gotten much worse as a result.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

themanintheseersuckersuit

#9 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:24 am

I held to door open for Red Cross workers to go out during Hurricane Hugo. (and yes I was glad it was not my turn)
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

gsabc

#10 Post by gsabc » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:43 pm

BD is in the same camp. GW and I are now officially retired (achieved within the last twelve months) and both of us have one form of "underlying condition" or another, albeit under control. BD teaches pre-K children at a private school. She's awaiting word on what the final plans for reopening will be, as the school's owners have clearly been torn among the considerations for teachers, students and families in their decision. Also financial; they really love what they do and do not want to shut down for good. They've been very up front with the decision-making process and have involved the parents and teachers right along. BD needs the money, but also realizes that she's living with us and doesn't want to catch COVID herself or bring it home.

Similarly, she's trying to decide whether to send the boys back to school locally (Kindergarten and 3rd grade). Our town will offer remote learning to all who want it, regardless of their decision about how to reopen. Current thought is a hybrid model, but how that will be configured is still under discussion. We are better off than other families in town of our acquaintance. At least once a month, for one reason or another, I thank whatever deities there are for our ability to handle things financially. That now includes the ability to stay home with the boys and help them with their remote learning. I keep thinking about the other families, though, some with multiple children in multiple grades. I think about things like the parents getting back to work, or juggling their work schedules, or having the internet bandwidth and computer hardware for the kids to take the online classes. Also their fears about contracting and/or passing along COVID>19.

It's a tough situation and a tough decision for everyone. Not exactly what we had in mind for our retirement years, but we'll handle it and help out others as best we can.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.