A Game of Birds and Wolves

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

A Game of Birds and Wolves

#1 Post by Spock » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:18 pm

Checked this new book out of the library today that some here may find of interest.

"A Game of Birds and Wolves: The Ingenious Young Women Whose Secret Board Game Helped Win WW II."

Battle of the Atlantic/ U-Boat stuff.

Designed a board game similar to Battleship.

Anyway

https://www.amazon.com/Game-Birds-Wolve ... 194&sr=1-1

>>>" A grand strategy game was devised by Captain Gilbert Roberts and a group of ten Wrens (members of the Women's Royal Naval Service) assigned to his team in an attempt to reveal the tactics behind the vicious success of the German U-boats. Played on a linoleum floor divided into painted squares, it required model ships to be moved across a make-believe ocean in a manner reminiscent of the childhood game, Battleship. Through play, the designers developed "Operation Raspberry," a counter-maneuver that helped turn the tide of World War II."<<<

Bob Juch

Re: A Game of Birds and Wolves

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:02 pm

The superstar WREN was Laura Janet Howes, a brilliant mathematician.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Spock

#3 Post by Spock » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:28 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:02 pm
The superstar WREN was Laura Janet Howes, a brilliant mathematician.
Be that as it may-Howes is only a minor character in this book.

Per the index-she is only mentioned on 4 pages out of close to 300.

tlynn78

#4 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:06 am

Spock wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:18 pm
Checked this new book out of the library today that some here may find of interest.

"A Game of Birds and Wolves: The Ingenious Young Women Whose Secret Board Game Helped Win WW II."

Anyway

>>>" A grand strategy game was devised by Captain Gilbert Roberts and a group of ten Wrens (members of the Women's Royal Naval Service) assigned to his team in an attempt to reveal the tactics behind the vicious success of the German U-boats. Played on a linoleum floor divided into painted squares, it required model ships to be moved across a make-believe ocean in a manner reminiscent of the childhood game, Battleship. Through play, the designers developed "Operation Raspberry," a counter-maneuver that helped turn the tide of World War II."<<<
Looks quite intriguing - may be my next read..
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Spock

#5 Post by Spock » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:30 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:06 am
Spock wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:18 pm

Anyway

Looks quite intriguing - may be my next read..
After reading it, I can still recommend it, but with reservations. The Spocklette is into WW2 stuff and I thought she should read this, but after reading it, I told her we should watch "Das Boot" first-so it will make more sense. We have had that on our list for years and it is the one movie I want to get through before she goes back to college.