Incompetence may have spread the virus

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Re: Incompetence may have spread the virus

#476 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu May 14, 2020 2:45 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:41 pm
Do you really think Trump wants death? What the fuck is wrong with you? So those who have screwed up in the whole process are deathmongers? Stop it.
I don't think Trump wants death. I just don't think he cares, as long as he can spin it as a great victory. I've read about how great leaders like Lincoln and Churchill agonized over the people whose death resulted in wars. Trump spends all his time sending out tweets about his supposed enemies.

And the vast majority of the rest of the elected Republicans have decided to go along with him.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#477 Post by Bob78164 » Thu May 14, 2020 2:50 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:35 pm
Donald Trump 4/24/20 wrote:Now, we're going toward 50, I'm hearing, or 60,000 people. One is too many. I always say it: One is too many. But we're going toward 50- or 60,000 people.
Donald Trump 5/3/20 wrote:We’re going to lose anywhere from 75-, 80- to 100,000 people... That's one of the reasons we're successful, if you call losing 80 or 90,000 people successful.
Donald Trump 5/14/20 wrote:We’re going to lose over 100,000 perhaps in this country
We have now gone over 85,000 deaths. We will hit 100,000 by the end of this month. And like clockwork, every week or two, Trump revises his prediction upward and still congratulates himself on the great job he's done. (I'm not even going to mention his claims about how the 15 cases would all go away.)
Considering the size of our population...
Do you really think Trump wants death? What the fuck is wrong with you? So those who have screwed up in the whole process are deathmongers? Stop it.
We're doing worse on a per capita basis than almost the entire rest of the world.

I don't think Donny wants the deaths. I just think he's concluded that the steps necessary to prevent them would tank his re-election, and that's more important to him. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#478 Post by Beebs52 » Thu May 14, 2020 3:19 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:50 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:35 pm

We have now gone over 85,000 deaths. We will hit 100,000 by the end of this month. And like clockwork, every week or two, Trump revises his prediction upward and still congratulates himself on the great job he's done. (I'm not even going to mention his claims about how the 15 cases would all go away.)
Considering the size of our population...
We're doing worse on a per capita basis than almost the entire rest of the world.

I don't think Donny wants the deaths. I just think he's concluded that the steps necessary to prevent them would tank his re-election, and that's more important to him. --Bob
I suwanee, to quote wb.
Well, then

silverscreenselect

#479 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 15, 2020 12:58 pm

Some things never change:
Donald Trump 2/28/20 wrote:It’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.
Donald Trump 5/15/20 wrote:We think we are going to have a vaccine in the pretty near future, and if we do, we are going to really be a big step ahead and if we don't, we are going to be like so many other cases where you had a problem come in, it'll go away at some point, it'll go away

silverscreenselect

#480 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 15, 2020 1:10 pm

So today Trump made his big announcement about Operation Warp Speed. Why wasn't this done on February 15, or March 15, or even April 15 instead of May 15? The only thing Trump has done is to fire Rick Bright, who was in charge of developing a vaccine, with no replacement in sight.

Bob Juch

#481 Post by Bob Juch » Fri May 15, 2020 2:13 pm

Fri May 15, 2020 12:58 pm
Some things never change:
Donald Trump 2/28/20 wrote:It’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.
Donald Trump 5/15/20 wrote:We think we are going to have a vaccine in the pretty near future, and if we do, we are going to really be a big step ahead and if we don't, we are going to be like so many other cases where you had a problem come in, it'll go away at some point, it'll go away
Yeah, just like the Spanish Flu which went away after killing 50,000,000.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#482 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 15, 2020 3:04 pm

Republican Rep. Ted Yoho of Florida was spotted Friday walking around the Capitol and on the House floor without wearing a mask. Asked why not, he told CNN: "There's just no need." Told that the Capitol physician suggests wearing a mask when social distancing is not possible, Yoho cited no need because of "herd immunity." CNN noted to Yoho that medical experts haven't determined that herd immunity applies to the novel coronavirus. Yoho responded: "Viruses do what viruses do." Asked if he thinks he's protected by herd immunity, Yoho said: "I think the only way you're going to get it is to get exposed."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/15/politics ... index.html

Bob Juch

#483 Post by Bob Juch » Fri May 15, 2020 3:42 pm

Fri May 15, 2020 3:04 pm
Republican Rep. Ted Yoho of Florida was spotted Friday walking around the Capitol and on the House floor without wearing a mask. Asked why not, he told CNN: "There's just no need." Told that the Capitol physician suggests wearing a mask when social distancing is not possible, Yoho cited no need because of "herd immunity." CNN noted to Yoho that medical experts haven't determined that herd immunity applies to the novel coronavirus. Yoho responded: "Viruses do what viruses do." Asked if he thinks he's protected by herd immunity, Yoho said: "I think the only way you're going to get it is to get exposed."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/15/politics ... index.html
What a yo-yo.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#484 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon May 18, 2020 9:28 pm

Trump says he is taking hydroxychloroquine to prevent covid-19, dismisses safety concerns

You know what happened the last time someone tempted fate the way Trump is doing:
Spoiler

silverscreenselect

#485 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed May 20, 2020 11:50 am

When asked by a reporter why he was taking hydroxychloroquine:
Donald Trump 5/19/20 wrote:I worked with doctors. If you look at the one survey [of patients at VA hospitals posted by the FDA], the only bad survey, they were giving it to people that were in very bad shape, they were very old, almost dead. It was a Trump enemy statement.

silverscreenselect

#486 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu May 21, 2020 8:37 am

Mike Pence and FL Governor Ron DeSantis at an upscale burger restaurant in Florida yesterday:

Not a mask in sight. No social distancing in sight either. I wonder if any of the employees had been prescreened for the virus before Pence and DeSantis showed up. Over 1200 new coronavirus cases were reported in Florida today.

And they criticized Obama for asking for Dijon mustard when he went out for a burger.

silverscreenselect

#487 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun May 24, 2020 9:10 am

Donald Trump 10/13/2014 wrote:Can you believe that, with all of the problems and difficulties facing the U.S., President Obama spent the day playing golf. Worse than Carter
5/22/20:

Trump golfs at his Virginia club amid the coronavirus pandemic

silverscreenselect

#488 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed May 27, 2020 2:40 pm

Sean Hannity 5/26/20 wrote:If you can’t social distance, please wear the mask. Do it for your mom, your dad, your grandma, your grandpa. We need to use some common sense. You need to be cautious. Take precautions because we don’t want it to spread to vulnerable people. We’ve seen what happens when we do.
This was in response to footage of the Lake of the Ozarks pool party. Even Hannity is worried, maybe not about anyone's health, but about the thought that Trump may finally have led his followers completely off the deep end.

silverscreenselect

#489 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu May 28, 2020 2:26 pm

Politico 5/27/20 wrote:Federal and state officials across the country have altered or hidden public health data crucial to tracking the coronavirus' spread, hindering the ability to detect a surge of infections as President Donald Trump pushes the nation to reopen rapidly. In at least a dozen states, health departments have inflated testing numbers or deflated death tallies by changing criteria for who counts as a coronavirus victim and what counts as a coronavirus test, according to reporting from POLITICO, other news outlets and the states' own admissions. Some states have shifted the metrics for a “safe” reopening; Arizona sought to clamp down on bad news at one point by simply shuttering its pandemic modeling. About a third of the states aren’t even reporting hospital admission data — a big red flag for the resurgence of the virus.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/2 ... ing-286143

There's much more in the article. Here in Georgia, I've always felt that hospitalization totals (which the governor touts a lot) were too low and sure enough: "Georgia's count of hospitalized coronavirus patients also includes only those who were already in the hospital when their diagnosis was reported to the state, a limitation that the state has openly admitted likely creates “an underestimation of actual hospitalizations." Similarly, death counts in Florida officially due to coronavirus have been well lower than what might be expected given the number of cases (and elderly people in nursing homes). But by an odd coincidence, deaths due to flu and pneumonia this year have been much higher than last year.

Some of these mistakes are undoubtedly honest errors created under intense pressure to get timely data out. But some definitely appear to be manipulated to make it appear that things are less serious. Sadly, we will probably only get reasonably accurate figures years from now when scientists can carefully analyze all the data.

Spock

#490 Post by Spock » Fri May 29, 2020 9:05 am

Wed May 27, 2020 2:40 pm
Sean Hannity 5/26/20 wrote:If you can’t social distance, please wear the mask. Do it for your mom, your dad, your grandma, your grandpa. We need to use some common sense. You need to be cautious. Take precautions because we don’t want it to spread to vulnerable people. We’ve seen what happens when we do.
This was in response to footage of the Lake of the Ozarks pool party. Even Hannity is worried, maybe not about anyone's health, but about the thought that Trump may finally have led his followers completely off the deep end.
And yet, no concern expressed by you about the obvious health concerns raised by the Minneapolis footage-not much social distancing there-Odd that. You only have raised snarky concerns about Lake of the Ozarks footage. No snarky comments about any pandemic concerns being ignored by the Democrat voting base in Minneapolis?

Bob Juch

#491 Post by Bob Juch » Fri May 29, 2020 10:07 am

Spock wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:05 am
And yet, no concern expressed by you about the obvious health concerns raised by the Minneapolis footage-not much social distancing there-Odd that. You only have raised snarky concerns about Lake of the Ozarks footage. No snarky comments about any pandemic concerns being ignored by the Democrat voting base in Minneapolis?
How do you know they're Democrats? The news has shown most protestors wearing masks. None of the police are.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#492 Post by Estonut » Fri May 29, 2020 6:06 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:07 am
Spock wrote:

How do you know they're Democrats? The news has shown most protestors wearing masks. None of the police are.
They are no longer "protestors" once they start destroying the property of others. They might be wearing masks to hide their identities, not out of concern about the virus.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#493 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:25 pm

Estonut wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:06 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Spock wrote:

They are no longer "protestors" once they start destroying the property of others. They might be wearing masks to hide their identities, not out of concern about the virus.
Dr. King once said, "A riot is the language of the unheard."

Remarks like this just force me to ask: How many black men must die at the hands of the police before it becomes reasonable for the black community to become, shall we say, vexed?

How many Colin Kaepernicks have to lose their job and get blackballed before the black community becomes entitled to decide that non-violent actions just aren't getting it done?

How much more should we expect our brothers and sisters to take before we give them the same rights we gave the folks who mounted an armed protest because they were being asked to wear masks?

How much is enough? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#494 Post by Estonut » Sat May 30, 2020 12:15 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:25 pm
Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

The mayor of Atlanta disagrees with you:
Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms delivered an emotional plea during a news conference with civil rights leaders Friday night, imploring protesters to “go home” as violence and vandalism erupted in her city. ““This is not a protest,” Bottoms said. “This is not in the spirit of Martin Luther King, Jr. This is chaos.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... e-updates/

Bob78164 wrote:
Remarks like this just force me to ask: How many black men must die at the hands of the police before it becomes reasonable for the black community to become, shall we say, vexed?
The killer was arrested and charged, yet the rioting and looting continue. How many innocent people must have their property destroyed before the "protest" becomes "wrong?"

Bob78164 wrote:
How many Colin Kaepernicks have to lose their job and get blackballed before the black community becomes entitled to decide that non-violent actions just aren't getting it done?
He didn't "lose his job." He was a lousy QB who walked away from his job and took bad advice from his gf.

Bob78164 wrote:
How much more should we expect our brothers and sisters to take before we give them the same rights we gave the folks who mounted an armed protest because they were being asked to wear masks?
How much of innocent people's property did those "armed protesters" destroy?

Bob78164 wrote:
How much is enough?
You tell me. How many millions of dollars of innocent people's property must be destroyed to make up for this heinous killing?

Here's a snapshot of recent weekends in Chicago alone. Where's the outrage?
49 Shot, 10 Killed in 'Alarming' Memorial Day Weekend Violencenews.wttw.com › 2020/05/26 › 49-shot-10-killed-alarm...
3 days ago - Chicago saw its most violent Memorial Day weekend in five years, despite a stay-at-home order meant to keep people inside during the ...

Chicago weekend violence: 38 shot, 6 fatally, across city ...abc7chicago.com › chicago-shooting-violence-weekend
May 18, 2020 - Chicago police said six people were killed and 32 others were wounded by gun violence so far over the weekend.

Chicago weekend shootings: 4 dead, 18 hurt in citywide gun ...chicago.suntimes.com › crime › chicago-weekend-shoo...
May 11, 2020 - Four people were killed and 19 others were injured in gun violence across Chicago over the weekend. The latest fatal attack happened Sunday ...

Chicago weekend shooting: 4 dead, 42 hurt in citywide gun ...chicago.suntimes.com › chicago-weekend-shootings-gu...
May 4, 2020 - Chicago saw a dramatic uptick in gun violence over the first weekend of May, with four people killed and 42 others wounded. The most recent ...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#495 Post by Bob78164 » Sat May 30, 2020 12:55 am

Estonut wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:15 am
Bob78164 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
The mayor of Atlanta disagrees with you:
Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms delivered an emotional plea during a news conference with civil rights leaders Friday night, imploring protesters to “go home” as violence and vandalism erupted in her city. ““This is not a protest,” Bottoms said. “This is not in the spirit of Martin Luther King, Jr. This is chaos.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... e-updates/

Bob78164 wrote:
The killer was arrested and charged, yet the rioting and looting continue. How many innocent people must have their property destroyed before the "protest" becomes "wrong?"

Bob78164 wrote:
He didn't "lose his job." He was a lousy QB who walked away from his job and took bad advice from his gf.

Bob78164 wrote:
How much of innocent people's property did those "armed protesters" destroy?

Bob78164 wrote:
How much is enough?
You tell me. How many millions of dollars of innocent people's property must be destroyed to make up for this heinous killing?

Here's a snapshot of recent weekends in Chicago alone. Where's the outrage?
49 Shot, 10 Killed in 'Alarming' Memorial Day Weekend Violencenews.wttw.com › 2020/05/26 › 49-shot-10-killed-alarm...
3 days ago - Chicago saw its most violent Memorial Day weekend in five years, despite a stay-at-home order meant to keep people inside during the ...

Chicago weekend violence: 38 shot, 6 fatally, across city ...abc7chicago.com › chicago-shooting-violence-weekend
May 18, 2020 - Chicago police said six people were killed and 32 others were wounded by gun violence so far over the weekend.

Chicago weekend shootings: 4 dead, 18 hurt in citywide gun ...chicago.suntimes.com › crime › chicago-weekend-shoo...
May 11, 2020 - Four people were killed and 19 others were injured in gun violence across Chicago over the weekend. The latest fatal attack happened Sunday ...

Chicago weekend shooting: 4 dead, 42 hurt in citywide gun ...chicago.suntimes.com › chicago-weekend-shootings-gu...
May 4, 2020 - Chicago saw a dramatic uptick in gun violence over the first weekend of May, with four people killed and 42 others wounded. The most recent ...
So you'd like people of color to just wait peacefully until it's their turn to die with a cop's knee on their neck? I can understand pretty well why they're no longer willing to play that game. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#496 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat May 30, 2020 5:02 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:55 am
So you'd like people of color to just wait peacefully until it's their turn to die with a cop's knee on their neck? I can understand pretty well why they're no longer willing to play that game. --Bob
Part of what's going on now is a particularly violent form of cabin fever resulting from people being largely cooped up and worried about health concerns for over two months. But other than Minneapolis itself, the cities where the most violent confrontations have occurred seem to be those which have had incidents of their own.

Here in Atlanta, we've had big front page news of late about the death of a black jogger in south Georgia three months ago who was tracked down by a white father-and-son vigilante team who suspected him of being a burglar. He was then shot to death in the confrontation. Local police and DA dragged their feet until public pressure led to the case being reassigned to an Atlanta area DA to investigated. Father and son (along with the third man in the vehicle who shot the video that's been widely seen) have now been charged with murder.

In Louisville, residents are still upset because a black woman was killed in her bedroom when police burst in (wrong address) in the middle of the night with a no-knock warrant. In New York, they still remember Eric Garner, who died six years ago being choked to death by police.

There's a real feeling in the black community that the names change but everything remains the same. You can contrast that to the scene in Michigan where armed white protestors stormed the state capitol and nothing happened to them. There are pictures of those protestors screaming in the faces of police who just stand at attention. Do you really think that had those protestors been black, the police would have just stood there.

Thursday night, a black CNN reporter covering the Minneapolis protests was arrested despite showing his press credentials, while a white reporter a block away was given a free pass by police (both were asked to move further away from the action and both complied).

The reaction of the protestors in Atlanta was wrong (they even burned a Georgia Tech police department cart), but it is understandable.

One last note on Colin Kaepernick. The NFL is a veritable revolving door for second and third string quarterbacks going from one team to another and getting re-signed multiple times. Mark Sanchez played for six teams, including two with which he signed after Kaepernick was cut. John McCown has played for 12 teams, also being signed a couple of times since Kaepernick was cut. These others seem to have no trouble finding work despite some notoriously horrible performances when they do get in games. But Kaepernick stays unemployed.

silverscreenselect

#497 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:35 am

Lights Out at White House; Trump Hides in Bunker

The only thing missing in this photo is the white flag replacing the American flag. This comment pretty much sums up the current situation:
Donald Trump 3-19-14 wrote:It's almost like the United States has no President- we are a rudderless ship heading for a major disaster. Good luck everyone!

silverscreenselect

#498 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:39 pm

President Donald Trump traveled to Maine Friday to tour a facility that makes medical swabs used for coronavirus testing, but the swabs manufactured in the background during his visit will ultimately be thrown in the trash, the company said. Puritan Medical Products said it will have to discard the swabs, a company spokeswoman told USA TODAY in response to questions about the visit.

It is not clear why the swabs will be scrapped, or how many. The company described its manufacturing plans for Friday as "limited" – but the disruption comes as public health officials in Maine and other states have complained that a shortage of swabs has hampered their ability to massively scale up coronavirus testing. Workers in white lab coats, hair nets and plastic booties worked at machines making swabs while the president walked through the room. Trump, who did not wear a mask for the visit, stopped at one point to talk with some of the workers.

Nearly a third of Maine nursing homes reported last month they had no nasal swabs to collect specimens, the Portland Press Herald reported. Nearly 61% of those that responded to a Maine Medical Directors Association survey said they had seven or fewer at their disposal. National shortages of swabs was part of what severely hampered early coronavirus testing efforts. Puritan, which received millions of dollars from the federal government to double production, is one of only two companies that make the kind of swabs needed in coronavirus testing.
It's good to know that our president hasn't completely forgotten about the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 153622001/

Bob Juch

#499 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:22 pm

I had a COVID-19 test last night. They used the UArizona test which has a short swab and doesn't go beyond your nostril.

My test was negative, but it has a 20% false-negative rate.

silverscreenselect

#500 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:24 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:22 pm
My test was negative, but it has a 20% false-negative rate.
80% Congratulations.