Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#226 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:19 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:11 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:14 pm
Florida Megachurch Pastor Arrested After Violating Social Distancing Guidelines

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressi ... uidelines/
Earlier today Hillsborough County Sheriff Chad Chronister announced that Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne was wanted on an arrest warrant after flaunting social distancing orders by holding two large services on Sunday.
It's flouting, not flaunting.
Something similar is going on in Lousiana, but I don't think anyone has been threatened yet with arrest. --Bob
Police in NYC have been ordered to arrest people flouting the social distancing order there.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#227 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:29 pm

A choir decided to go ahead with rehearsal. Now dozens of members have COVID-19 and two are dead

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/st ... r-outbreak
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#228 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:49 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:06 am
Beebs52 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:21 am
Yay, Ranger Jeff et al get to work from home for at least 2 weeks. Don't know if the county judge's stay at home order helped tptb pull their heads outta asses or my sternly worded email to my former boss, the GM and parks AGM. Prolly the order, tho my glare of righteousness (tm Sliver) may have helped.
There are 9 cases at The Conservatory, local, like 5 blocks away, retirement community. 😔
Oh goody. 12 cases now with shelter in place. Plus peeps aren't getting info for their families.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#229 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:41 pm

More than half of all reported U.S. deaths (as of the most recent Washington Post update) have occurred since Friday. More than half of all reported deaths in New York (same source) have occurred since Saturday. I really hope we are able to defeat exponential growth very, very quickly. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#230 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:02 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:49 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:06 am
Beebs52 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:21 am
Yay, Ranger Jeff et al get to work from home for at least 2 weeks. Don't know if the county judge's stay at home order helped tptb pull their heads outta asses or my sternly worded email to my former boss, the GM and parks AGM. Prolly the order, tho my glare of righteousness (tm Sliver) may have helped.
There are 9 cases at The Conservatory, local, like 5 blocks away, retirement community. 😔
Oh goody. 12 cases now with shelter in place. Plus peeps aren't getting info for their families.

27 cases confirmed at Tucson nursing facility

https://www.kold.com/2020/03/30/coronav ... -facility/

silverscreenselect

#231 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:53 am

The NCAA has granted an extra year of eligibility to all spring sports athletes whose seasons were cut short by cancellation and will allow schools to have extended rosters next season the accommodate holdovers and incoming freshmen. The decision will not affect winter sports like basketball and hockey.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#232 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:37 am

Why Mexico has so few cases compared with the U.S.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/th ... story.html

Bob Juch

#233 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:14 am

Dr. Fauci anticipates coronavirus outbreak in the fall

https://www.wfla.com/community/health/c ... -the-fall/

WASHINGTON (WJW) — Dr. Anthony Fauci said it’s likely there will be a second coronavirus outbreak in the fall.

The director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases answered a few questions during the White House Coronavirus Task Force briefing on Monday. It came a day after President Donald Trump extended federal social distancing guidelines through April.

Fauci said he anticipates coronavirus will be cyclical and return in the fall because of its degree of transmissibility.

Fauci said the second outbreak will be a different ball game compared to when the virus was first detected in the United States. We have better ability to test and contact trace, there are clinical trials for therapeutic intervention and a vaccine is on track, the doctor said.

“What we’re going through now is more than just lessons learned, it’s going to be things we have available to us that we didn’t have before,” Fauci said.

When asked about the possibility of a second outbreak, Trump said, “I hope it doesn’t happen, but we’re certainly prepared.”

Bob Juch

#234 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:29 am

Hospitals Tell Doctors They’ll Be Fired If They Speak Out About Lack of Gear

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... k-to-press

Hospitals are threatening to fire health-care workers who publicize their working conditions during the coronavirus pandemic -- and have in some cases followed through.

Ming Lin, an emergency room physician in Washington state, said he was told Friday he was out of a job because he’d given an interview to a newspaper about a Facebook post detailing what he believed to be inadequate protective equipment and testing. In Chicago, a nurse was fired after emailing colleagues that she wanted to wear a more protective mask while on duty. In New York, the NYU Langone Health system has warned employees they could be terminated if they talk to the media without authorization.

<more>

Vandal
Director of Promos

#235 Post by Vandal » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:08 am

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Vandal
Director of Promos

#236 Post by Vandal » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:51 pm

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#237 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:52 pm

Vandal wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:51 pm
Oh geez. Help me.😂
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#238 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:13 pm

Vandal wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:51 pm
He should have pulled a Marc Antony: "Friends, Romans, countrymen. Lend me your ears." --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#239 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:56 am

The world's oldest profession is not immune:

Legal sex workers in Nevada struggling during coronavirus closures

Bob Juch

#240 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:58 am

FEMA seeks 100,000 body bags from the Pentagon as coronavirus pandemic worsens

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 111412002/

SpacemanSpiff

#241 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:37 pm

I've just earned my pay for the week, thanks to the CARES Act.

I've sat in on several webinars this week, especially regarding the Payroll Protection Program loans from the SBA. The last 48 hours, I have been putting together a package for such a loan from our bank.

Loan applications officially start in the morning (Friday). I won't bore y'all with the calculations, but it's based upon payroll paid (including benefits like health insurance paid by the company) in the last year (lobbing off anything over $100k per individual), averaged out with a borrowing potential equivalent of two-and-a-half months of payroll. With our 52-person organization, we're putting in for a loan of about $584k. I will actually have the proposal emailed to him on Thursday before I leave.

Better yet, I figure about 75% of the loan will be forgivable in a few months. The balance gets paid over a period of up to 10 years at 4%.

I figure if the government is going to throw out money, I'd be a fool not to take advantage of it. And needless to say, the bosses think I'm a hero.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

Spock

#242 Post by Spock » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:49 pm

Not good-From a global pandemic perspective-the massive slums in India are what everybody is scared about and of. Not only for deaths there-but viruses could mutate quickly in such a target-rich environment.

First death recorded in Mumbai's slum-Dharavi-reportedly the largest slum in Asia.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 937159.cms

Bob Juch

#243 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:47 pm

Spock wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:49 pm
Not good-From a global pandemic perspective-the massive slums in India are what everybody is scared about and of. Not only for deaths there-but viruses could mutate quickly in such a target-rich environment.

First death recorded in Mumbai's slum-Dharavi-reportedly the largest slum in Asia.

You need to understand how mutations occur.

If there's just one death in Dharavi, that amazingly good.

Spock

#244 Post by Spock » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:15 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:47 pm
Spock wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:49 pm

You need to understand how mutations occur.

If there's just one death in Dharavi, that amazingly good.
OK, enlighten me. How do mutations occur? It has been awhile since I read David Quammen's "Spillover:Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic"-so refresh me.

There are already reports of many strains of the Coronavirus-so obviously it has mutated quickly as it has spread through human hosts.

My main reading on it is that China is especially likely to be a source of viral mutations that make the jump from animal to human because of the propensity to live cheek by jowl with various types of livestock and fowl and because of the high population density.

silverscreenselect

#245 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:04 am

Fivethirtyeight has an article today about how concerned people are about themselves or a family member getting the coronavirus. Their findings, like all their poll findings, are based on a rolling aggregate of weighted polls (pollsters with a higher reliability percentage in the past are given greater weight) and not a single survey. On February 16, when they first started tracking this, about 40% of the public was very or somewhat concerned, while almost 60% were not very or not at all concerned. Today, almost 70% are somewhat or very concerned and 30% are not very or not at all concerned.

What's even more interesting are the polls of how many Americans approve of Trump's handling of the crisis (not his overall approval rating). Not surprisingly, most Republicans approve and Democrats disapprove, with independents in between. What's more surprising is that those figures haven't changed much over the last month and a half, either overall or by party. On February 16, 47% of the public approved. Today, 49% approve.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/coronavirus-polls/

silverscreenselect

#246 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:48 am

Adult toy shop Romantix remains open in Iowa after state closes many nonessential stores

There is a similar establishment in Atlanta called The Love Shack that's on the main street that I walk down when I do my exercise lap. It's been closed for at least a week.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#247 Post by Vandal » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:04 am

Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Vandal
Director of Promos

#248 Post by Vandal » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:11 am

Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Bob Juch

#249 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:07 am

Horrific Twitter thread by New York City health committee chair raises concerns on COVID-19 deaths

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/4 ... -19-deaths

As the death toll resulting from the novel coronavirus continues to rise, some New York cemeteries are facing difficulties despite the ability to operate 24 hours a day. New York City has begun to store bodies in freezer trucks to accommodate the number of victims the pandemic has claimed. In a series of viral tweets Monday, Mark Levine, the chair of the New York City Council Committee on Health, claimed that officials are considering temporarily burying people who die from COVID-19 in local parks due to the number of increasing dead bodies and lack of space in freezers at Office of Chief Medical Examiner (OCME) facilities in the state. “A typical hospital morgue might hold 15 bodies. Those are now all full. So OCME has sent out 80 refrigerated trailers to hospitals around the city. Each trailer can hold 100 bodies. These are now mostly full too. Some hospitals have had to add a 2nd or even a 3rd trailer,” he wrote.

The thread spoke about the difficulty grieving families are having in burying loved ones as funerals and cemeteries are unable to accommodate the increasing number of deaths following the coronavirus pandemic. “NYC’s healthcare system is being pushed to the limit. And sadly, now so is the city’s system for managing our dead. And it, too, needs more resources. This has big implications for grieving families,” Levine wrote. While he emphasized that the burials would be temporary and “tough for NYers to take,” he noted the goal was “to avoid scenes like those in Italy,” in which military officials have had to collect bodies from the street and churches. “Soon we'll start ‘temporary interment,’” Levine wrote. “This likely will be done by using a NYC park for burials (yes you read that right). Trenches will be dug for 10 caskets in a line.”

<more>

silverscreenselect

#250 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:46 am

There have been anecdotal reports of bodies being dumped in mass graves in Iran.

What really surprises me (in a good way) so far is the extremely small number of cases from India. The last figures I saw were 5000 cases and 150 deaths. Considering the crowded living conditions there, I would think that effective social distancing would be difficult and that mass outbreaks could easily occur. There has been a shutdown order, but as the picture shows, there is still way too much crowding.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/worl ... rants.html