2017 Audition List

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

2017 Audition List

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Sun May 21, 2017 2:31 pm

goongas, auditioning June 9
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

triviawayne

Re: 2017 Audition List

#2 Post by triviawayne » Sun May 21, 2017 4:12 pm

Triviawayne--auditioned 8/12/16 for second chance week in 2017-18

DukeOfIllyria

#3 Post by DukeOfIllyria » Wed May 24, 2017 10:30 am

Hello All!

I'm a longtime lurker who long ago registered and gave up on being allowed to post without reading about the spam account problems which prevented the addition of new members via the phpbb board system. Silly me. Anyways, I'm in a tricky situation with regards to auditioning for Millionaire, and would love some advice if it could be provided.

At the very end of July 2015, I auditioned following a taping, passed the test, took a video interview with a PA and was sent a happy card two and a half weeks later. Unfortunately, I was not called to be on the 2016-2017 edition of the show. Should I audition again? If I do audition, should I bring my happy card for the producers to assure them that I was considered trivia-savvy and outgoing enough to be on TV? I get the sense that in the move from CT to Las Vegas alot of potential contestants in the pool fell by the wayside. I am fortunately located in the NYC metro area so I will be able to make the 4pm auditions in the city on the 9th of June. Again, any advice will be appreciated. The Board has been an invaluable resource for me over the past few years.

kerryoakie

#4 Post by kerryoakie » Wed May 24, 2017 10:56 am

DukeOfIllyria wrote:
Should I audition again? If I do audition, should I bring my happy card for the producers to assure them that I was considered trivia-savvy and outgoing enough to be on TV? I get the sense that in the move from CT to Las Vegas alot of potential contestants in the pool fell by the wayside. I am fortunately located in the NYC metro area so I will be able to make the 4pm auditions in the city on the 9th of June. Again, any advice will be appreciated. The Board has been an invaluable resource for me over the past few years.
Definitely audition again and bring your postcards! One of the guys who was on earlier this season (can't remember his name, but he won BIG) was in my green room and said he had auditioned ~30 times without actually making it on the show. He brought his stack of postcards during his audition and to the taping to show how long he had been wanting to be on the show. It was a great talking point for him!

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Wed May 24, 2017 11:21 am

kerryoakie wrote:Definitely audition again and bring your postcards! One of the guys who was on earlier this season (can't remember his name, but he won BIG) was in my green room and said he had auditioned ~30 times without actually making it on the show. He brought his stack of postcards during his audition and to the taping to show how long he had been wanting to be on the show. It was a great talking point for him!
Hey, Marley, maybe you should try this!
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

triviawayne

#6 Post by triviawayne » Wed May 24, 2017 1:20 pm

DukeOfIllyria wrote:Hello All!

I'm a longtime lurker who long ago registered and gave up on being allowed to post without reading about the spam account problems which prevented the addition of new members via the phpbb board system. Silly me. Anyways, I'm in a tricky situation with regards to auditioning for Millionaire, and would love some advice if it could be provided.

At the very end of July 2015, I auditioned following a taping, passed the test, took a video interview with a PA and was sent a happy card two and a half weeks later. Unfortunately, I was not called to be on the 2016-2017 edition of the show. Should I audition again? If I do audition, should I bring my happy card for the producers to assure them that I was considered trivia-savvy and outgoing enough to be on TV? I get the sense that in the move from CT to Las Vegas alot of potential contestants in the pool fell by the wayside. I am fortunately located in the NYC metro area so I will be able to make the 4pm auditions in the city on the 9th of June. Again, any advice will be appreciated. The Board has been an invaluable resource for me over the past few years.
When you auditioned in 2015, that put you in the pool for the remainder of the season they were taping at the time (15-16) and the next season (16-17)--so you are no longer in the pool, yes you must audition again.

Nobody got lost in the move, they just didn't happen to call you.

Even if you were in the pool, I would advise to go audition again. If they happen to remember you and know you're in the pool, just say, "oops, I thought I wasn't."

Sorry to break it to everyone, but there is no master list, there is no list of blackballed potential contestants, and unless TPTB have learned from that guy who got on Jeopardy twice, they don't even keep a list of past contestants.

I auditioned in NYC in 2015 for 15-16, was placed in the pool and never got the call. Even though I was already in the pool, I went to audition in June of 2016. I met the person who put me through to the on-camera interview in 2015 and she didn't remember me. I then had my on-camera interview with the same person I had my on-camera interview with the year before. I was careful not to say anything I said to her the previous year so she wouldn't remember me. I was then placed in the pool again.

I got the call to be on the show in late July 2016 and was given about two-weeks notice to be there. About a week later, I got a call to be on the show. I told them there must be an error as I was scheduled to tape the next week. They couldn't figure out how they made that mistake, but said congrats and wished me good luck.

Bottom line--I was in the pool two times and they never figured it out. It just upped my odds of getting the call. I also wasn't lost in the move as they called on my audition from prior to that move.

Finally, the people you audition with do not decide to put you on the show, they only decide if you get that on camera interview and after that, it is out of their hands.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:18 pm

Bob78164, auditioning May 31
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

popartist

#8 Post by popartist » Tue May 30, 2017 9:57 am

kerryoakie wrote:
DukeOfIllyria wrote:
Should I audition again? If I do audition, should I bring my happy card for the producers to assure them that I was considered trivia-savvy and outgoing enough to be on TV? I get the sense that in the move from CT to Las Vegas alot of potential contestants in the pool fell by the wayside. I am fortunately located in the NYC metro area so I will be able to make the 4pm auditions in the city on the 9th of June. Again, any advice will be appreciated. The Board has been an invaluable resource for me over the past few years.
Definitely audition again and bring your postcards! One of the guys who was on earlier this season (can't remember his name, but he won BIG) was in my green room and said he had auditioned ~30 times without actually making it on the show. He brought his stack of postcards during his audition and to the taping to show how long he had been wanting to be on the show. It was a great talking point for him!
Ooh, I think I will bring my happy email too (didn't get a postcard...) to the June 9th NYC audition. After years of taking and passing the written test I finally passed the audition at a taping in August 2014 and put in the contestant pool, but never got called. Missed last year's audition in NYC for some reason (think I just wasn't on the ball) but will try again this year, hope springs eternal.
Last edited by popartist on Tue May 30, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 30, 2017 9:59 am

Bob78164, auditioning May 31
popartist, auditioning June 9

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:57 pm

Bob78164, auditioned May 31, passed written test

triviawayne

#11 Post by triviawayne » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:38 am

Bob78164 wrote:Bob78164, auditioned May 31, passed written test
video interview after passing test?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:14 am

triviawayne wrote:
Correct. And I think the video interview went just as well as the screening interview that preceded it. I had both producers laughing and both remarked on my energy. I am cautiously optimistic. --Bob

triviawayne

#13 Post by triviawayne » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:22 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
Correct. And I think the video interview went just as well as the screening interview that preceded it. I had both producers laughing and both remarked on my energy. I am cautiously optimistic. --Bob
when they use the word "energy", that's the magic word. They don't choose who gets on the show, but this is sure good for whatever notes they put on your sheet!

Good luck!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:20 am

Bob78164, auditioned May 31, passed written test
ghostjmf, auditioned June 5, passed written test

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#15 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:24 pm

Bob78164, auditioned May 31, :)

AndyO92

#16 Post by AndyO92 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:56 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Bob78164, auditioned May 31, :)
Excellent!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#17 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:13 pm

AndyO92 wrote:
Excellent!
Thanks!

If I do get The Call, where will it come from? In other words, which area code on my cell phone should put me on high alert? --Bob

triviawayne

#18 Post by triviawayne » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:59 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
AndyO92 wrote:
Excellent!
Thanks!

If I do get The Call, where will it come from? In other words, which area code on my cell phone should put me on high alert? --Bob
Mine was Vegas, but that doesn't mean anything as I believe many on the show use their own cell phones. General rule--when it rings...answer it!

kerryoakie

#19 Post by kerryoakie » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:40 am

Bob78164 wrote:
AndyO92 wrote:
Excellent!
Thanks!

I think mine were from California. Sabrina and Haleigh each called me for the SSN, valid address, audition date, etc. call (I had to decline once due to upcoming business travel).

My associate producer, Gil, called later to get more "talking points" for the show.

I was in the pool less than a month since taping is during the summer. I know Chris Harrison is currently taping Bachelor in Paradise (no shame), but that should be wrapping soon.

Best of luck; I really hope you get on the show!!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#20 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:01 pm

kerryoakie wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
AndyO92 wrote:
Excellent!
Thanks!

I think mine were from California. Sabrina and Haleigh each called me for the SSN, valid address, audition date, etc. call (I had to decline once due to upcoming business travel).

My associate producer, Gil, called later to get more "talking points" for the show.

I was in the pool less than a month since taping is during the summer. I know Chris Harrison is currently taping Bachelor in Paradise (no shame), but that should be wrapping soon.

Best of luck; I really hope you get on the show!!
Thanks. My breath is officially bated. (Last night I had tuna fish for dinner. Then my breath was baited.) --Bob

themanwho

#21 Post by themanwho » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:15 am

AndyO92 wrote:
Excellent!
Super congrats!

I am hoping to make it to Phoenix in a couple of weeks, but convincing the missus is going to be a challenge. Wish me luck.
"I will win BIG on a game show this coming year!" - since gsabc isn't using it any more.

goongas

#22 Post by goongas » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:43 pm

I took the test, passed. I took them literally that callbacks were going to be in the afternoon instead of right after. I had a more important appointment in the morning so they told me to come back early evening. I went about filling out my application and decided I had nothing really interesting to tell them, and it seemed like it was the same format where a third to half the room passes. I decided not to go all the way back for the in-person interview.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#23 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:15 pm

goongas wrote:I took the test, passed. I took them literally that callbacks were going to be in the afternoon instead of right after. I had a more important appointment in the morning so they told me to come back early evening. I went about filling out my application and decided I had nothing really interesting to tell them, and it seemed like it was the same format where a third to half the room passes. I decided not to go all the way back for the in-person interview.
My takeaway from this round of interviews is that you don't really need something interesting to tell them. You just need to be interesting and animated while you're saying whatever you say. Other than wanting a personal jetpack so that I can stop dealing with Los Angeles traffic (a wish that occurred to me as I was fighting traffic to get to my audition on time), I didn't have much to say that was out of the ordinary. But I was energetic and "personable" as well as showing "lots of energy."

That happened, in part, because I happened (for once) to be in a good head space for this particular interview. But I'm convinced that it's something pretty much anyone can do. If it's not natural to you, just pretend you're auditioning for Wheel of Fortune. You may fall short of the energy level that Wheel is looking for (not that I've ever auditioned for Wheel), but that ought to be enough to show them the parts of you they'll want to feature on the show. --Bob

peiboy91

#24 Post by peiboy91 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:34 pm

I auditioned in LA on 5/30, passed the test, didn't get a video interview, and predictably got a sad email on Friday. It's the same old story for me, but I take heart from Bob getting into the pool and his advice about being animated and energetic. I always feel like I have enough to talk about so I just need to amp it up a bit.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#25 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:27 am

peiboy91, auditioned May 30, :(
Bob78164, auditioned May 31, :)
goongas, auditioned June 9, passed written test*