Meryl Streep

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
flockofseagulls104

Meryl Streep

#1 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:00 pm

I respect Meryl Streep as probably the best actress of our generation. She has played so many different roles brilliantly with such complexity and nuance.
That being said, she and others of her profession need to stay out of the political arena. They are part of the reason that Trump got elected. We do not need or want lectures from them. She spent her acceptance speech for lifetime achievement last night showing us she is either a deliberate liar, completely uninformed or a useful idiot. Disappointing. Remember Alar?

https://www.catholics4trump.com/the-tru ... isability/
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton... gullible idiot

franktangredi

Re: Meryl Streep

#2 Post by franktangredi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:11 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:I respect Meryl Streep as probably the best actress of our generation. She has played so many different roles brilliantly with such complexity and nuance.
That being said, she and others of her profession need to stay out of the political arena. They are part of the reason that Trump got elected. We do not need or want lectures from them. She spent her acceptance speech for lifetime achievement last night showing us she is either a deliberate liar, completely uninformed or a useful idiot. Disappointing. Remember Alar?

(a) Thank you for being more mature than Mr. Trump, who started out by insulting her acting, thereby demonstrating his usual schoolyard mentality.

(b) When you say that "she and others of her profession need to stay out of the political arena," do you include such people of her profession who were elected to public office as Republican senator George Murphy, Republican mayor Clint Eastwood, Republican governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Republican governor and president Ronald Reagan? And were you indignant when the Republican party invites actors such as Ron Silver and Scott Baio to speak at their national convention? (Silver was later appointed to several commissions by President Bush.) Or did you actually mean to say "she and others of her profession who I don't agree with need to stay out of the political arena"?

(c) Actors have as much right to express their opinions as plumbers, businessmen, or reality tv stars. Or you. Or me.
Last edited by franktangredi on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:16 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:I respect Meryl Streep as probably the best actress of our generation. She has played so many different roles brilliantly with such complexity and nuance.

Here's the video.

People who mock disabilities don't get to complain about rudeness.

But all of this is beside the point. He promised to "drain the swamp." He's filling it with alligators by having the Senate act on his nominees without waiting for ethics clearance. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#4 Post by jarnon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:23 pm

Thanks for this article. It's good to hear that the new President doesn't hate the disabled (and minorities, Jews, women and gays.) He has to realize that some of his supporters are bigoted and rein them in. I'd also like him to be thicker-skinned. He would look more Presidential, and he wouldn't encourage fringe elements who target anyone who opposes him with cyberbullying or worse.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

flockofseagulls104

#5 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:29 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

Here's the video.

But all of this is beside the point. He promised to "drain the swamp." He's filling it with alligators by having the Senate act on his nominees without waiting for ethics clearance. --Bob
Read the article I linked, Bob. People who don't have all the facts don't get to lecture.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton... gullible idiot

flockofseagulls104

#6 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:33 pm

franktangredi wrote:

(a) Thank you for being more mature than Mr. Trump, who started out by insulting her acting, thereby demonstrating his usual schoolyard mentality.

(b) When you say that "she and others of her profession need to stay out of the political arena," do you include such people of her profession who were elected to public office as Republican senator George Murphy, Republican mayor Clint Eastwood, Republican governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Republican governor and president Ronald Reagan? And were you indignant when the Republican party invites actors such as Ron Silver and Scott Baio to speak at their national convention? (Silver was later appointed to several commissions by President Bush.) Or did you actually mean to say "she and others of her profession who I don't agree with need to stay out of the political arena"?

(c) Actors have as much right to express their opinions as plumbers, businessmen, or reality tv stars. Or you. Or me.
With all due respect, Frank, you know what I mean. I will not get into this kind of debate with you. It's a classic distraction technique. She is an actress. If she wants to get into politics, she should do it full time and take responsibility for her views, like those who actually ran for office, rather than using her celebrity to do drive by shots at those she disagrees with.

flockofseagulls104

#7 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:36 pm

jarnon wrote:

Thanks for this article. It's good to hear that the new President doesn't hate the disabled (and minorities, Jews, women and gays.) He has to realize that some of his supporters are bigoted and rein them in. I'd also like him to be thicker-skinned. He would look more Presidential, and he wouldn't encourage fringe elements who target anyone who opposes him with cyberbullying or worse.
I wish he'd be more thick skinned too. If he feels he needs to react to every unfair attack thrown at him, that's all he's going to be able to do, because they'll never stop.

franktangredi

#8 Post by franktangredi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:41 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:

With all due respect, Frank, you know what I mean. I will not get into this kind of debate with you. It's a classic distraction technique. She is an actress. If she wants to get into politics, she should do it full time and take responsibility for her views, like those who actually ran for office, rather than using her celebrity to do drive by shots at those she disagrees with.
I wasn't trying to distract you from anything. I'm really interested in how you would respond to those points. If you choose not to, don't try to frame it as you being above the debate. That's also a classic technique.

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:00 pm

franktangredi wrote:
And let's not forget Republican Congressman Fred "Gopher" Grandy.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

flockofseagulls104

#10 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:06 pm

franktangredi wrote:
franktangredi wrote:

I wasn't trying to distract you from anything. I'm really interested in how you would respond to those points. If you choose not to, don't try to frame it as you being above the debate. That's also a classic technique.
Frank, again, I think you know what I mean. Ronald Reagan had definite political views. He felt so strongly about it, he ran for a number of offices to try and implement those views, and he had to explain his views to VOTERS, not fans. And he had to take responsibility for his views, whether they were right or wrong.

If Scott Baio or Ron Silver or you or me want to explain their political views at a political convention, that is one thing. But for Ms Streep to express her unsubstantiated opinions at a nationally televised awards show is out of place. People who watched that did not tune in to get lectured by uninformed and biased actors and actresses, where they could not be rebutted by people who really know and understand the issues. If she gets invited to the Democratic National Convention to spout her views, that is one thing. She is free to do that, just as you and I are. But for her to do what she did is like if you were asked to do the toast at your friend's wedding and used it to castigate Hillary Clinton. Or Trump using the Correspondent's Dinner to campaign. Totally out of place, tactless and rude. And a good segment of the voting population is sick and tired of it.

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:11 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: Read the article I linked, Bob. People who don't have all the facts don't get to lecture.
I read the article. Their defense of Trump is that he used spastic uncontrolled hand and arm motions to make fun of people who had a different type of disability or, in fact, weren't disabled at all. That makes it so much better.

So, if someone talks like Amos and Andy to make fun of a dark skinned person from India, that's alright, because Indians aren't African-American so they shouldn't be offended by a racial slur that's intended for blacks.

Or it's okay to make fun of a white non-disabled person by suggesting that he acts like an exaggerated derogatory caricature of a disabled person and implying that he's stupid for that reason.

That's certainly not offensive. I humbly apologize.

Spock

#12 Post by Spock » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:12 pm

Jarnon>>> It's good to hear that the new President doesn't hate the disabled (and minorities, Jews, women and gays.) He has to realize that some of his supporters are bigoted and rein them in.<<

Have any of Trump's bigoted supporters done anything as vile in the name of politics as the recent kidnapping and torture of the disabled man in Chicago? I submit that there is a level of hatred -leading to violence- for Trump supporters in certain communities that outdoes anything in the Trump areas.

When are leading Democrats going to "rein in" their people?

Also, the large number of "Hate" hoaxes before and since the election by anti-Trump people contributes to a climate of hate and violence and fear. The "Hate-Hoaxing" needs to be reined in.

Before the election, Hillary referenced the Mississippi church burning as done by Trump people. It has since come to light that that crime was committed by an African-American member of the church to cast a bad light on Trump voters.

Has Hillary apologized for that? Has she been a party to efforts to "rein in" her people?

flockofseagulls104

#13 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:16 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: Read the article I linked, Bob. People who don't have all the facts don't get to lecture.
I read the article. Their defense of Trump is that he used spastic uncontrolled hand and arm motions to make fun of people who had a different type of disability or, in fact, weren't disabled at all. That makes it so much better.

So, if someone talks like Amos and Andy to make fun of a dark skinned person from India, that's alright, because Indians aren't African-American so they shouldn't be offended by a racial slur that's intended for blacks.

Or it's okay to make fun of a white non-disabled person by suggesting that he acts like an exaggerated derogatory caricature of a disabled person and implying that he's stupid for that reason.

That's certainly not offensive. I humbly apologize.
I am offended by people who are offended by everything they don't agree with.
Just what I expected from you, SSS.

silverscreenselect

#14 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:19 pm

Flock, I have a hunch that if you or a member of your family were disabled and watched the President of the United States flail his arms around like Donald Trump (apparently on multiple occasions) did to make fun of someone with whom he disagreed, you would be offended.

BackInTex

#15 Post by BackInTex » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:40 pm

silverscreenselect wrote: Flock, I have a hunch that if you or a member of your family were disabled and watched the President of the United States flail his arms around like Donald Trump (apparently on multiple occasions) did to make fun of someone with whom he disagreed, you would be offended.
I have friends who have a severely handicapped daughter. The friend, the mother to the disabled daughter, is one of the biggest Trump supporters out there. I don't understand it, but she is.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

flockofseagulls104

#16 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:44 pm

Flock, I have a hunch that if you or a member of your family were disabled and watched the President of the United States flail his arms around like Donald Trump (apparently on multiple occasions) did to make fun of someone with whom he disagreed, you would be offended.
Actually, I do have a member of my family who is disabled, (my cousin). If the situation was truly as described by dem operatives and the MSM, I would think Trump is a jerk because of it. Not a big thing, because I think he's a jerk because of many other things he's said. But no, I would not be offended, I would just look at him as a jerk. And that is how I look at people who are making a federal offense at being offended by this incident. They are jerks. And it lessens their credibility in anything else they claim. But in this case, it comes down to Trump's over dramatic depiction of someone groveling. And he seems to make a good point in what he was trying to communicate. That combined with his public statement that he'd never make fun of the disabled. That covers it for me, because I am not interested in sustaining a false narrative, like you seem to be.

flockofseagulls104

#17 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:59 pm

Actually, I do have a member of my family who is disabled, (my cousin). If the situation was truly as described by dem operatives and the MSM, I would think Trump is a jerk because of it. Not a big thing, because I think he's a jerk because of many other things he's said. But no, I would not be offended, I would just look at him as a jerk. And that is how I look at people who are making a federal offense at being offended by this incident. They are jerks. And it lessens their credibility in anything else they claim. But in this case, it comes down to Trump's over dramatic depiction of someone groveling. And he seems to make a good point in what he was trying to communicate. That combined with his public statement that he'd never make fun of the disabled. That covers it for me, because I am not interested in sustaining a false narrative, like you seem to be.
Just to expand on this, pretty much all of the Presidents we've had in my lifetime were jerks. JFK was a jerk for cheating on his wife. LBJ was a jerk for being such a friggin hypocrite. Nixon was a jerk for obvious reasons. Ford was a jerk. Carter was and continues to be a jerk in his political views, but I admire his philanthropy and religious nature. Bush 1 and 2 were jerks for some of the things they did. Bush 2 more than 1. Clinton was a jerk for baldfaced lying about what he did. Ms Clinton is more a criminal than a jerk, and Obama is a real jerk. But they were all My President for better or worse. I didn't go out and riot or slander them. I disagreed with them, but I gave them the respect they were due because of the office.
The only President in my lifetime I can't call a jerk is Reagan. At the time I thought he was the biggest jerk of them all. But since then I took the time to actually learn about him, rather than relying on the media or people like Ms Streep to tell me what to think. He wasn't perfect, but he had principles, and stood by them, and he had class.

silverscreenselect

#18 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:03 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: That combined with his public statement that he'd never make fun of the disabled. That covers it for me, because I am not interested in sustaining a false narrative, like you seem to be.
OK, Donald Trump denies it so that's the end of the story. I'm so glad you cleared that up for me Flock.

And, for better or worse, Donald Trump will be the President of the United States, and for people the world over he will be the representative of the United States. We have a right to expect that he does not act like, in your words, a "jerk" in public.

Although we have a right to expect that, I personally don't. I don't think that Trump is going to act any differently on January 21 than he has until now. And his words are going to come back to bite all of us. I'm amazed at all the people who criticized Obama's speeches and actions as weakening the United States who somehow think that world opinion of us will dramatically improve when Trump starts acting up. And the only question is how he'll react.

franktangredi

#19 Post by franktangredi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:21 pm

franktangredi wrote:
Frank, again, I think you know what I mean. Ronald Reagan had definite political views. He felt so strongly about it, he ran for a number of offices to try and implement those views, and he had to explain his views to VOTERS, not fans. And he had to take responsibility for his views, whether they were right or wrong.

If Scott Baio or Ron Silver or you or me want to explain their political views at a political convention, that is one thing. But for Ms Streep to express her unsubstantiated opinions at a nationally televised awards show is out of place. People who watched that did not tune in to get lectured by uninformed and biased actors and actresses, where they could not be rebutted by people who really know and understand the issues. If she gets invited to the Democratic National Convention to spout her views, that is one thing. She is free to do that, just as you and I are. But for her to do what she did is like if you were asked to do the toast at your friend's wedding and used it to castigate Hillary Clinton. Or Trump using the Correspondent's Dinner to campaign. Totally out of place, tactless and rude. And a good segment of the voting population is sick and tired of it.
Thank you. I thought that's what you did mean. But that is not the same as saying "she and others of her profession need to stay out of the political arena."

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#20 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:22 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

Here's the video.

Read the article I linked, Bob. People who don't have all the facts don't get to lecture.
I don't need someone to obfuscate a video I can see with my own eyes.

In any event, the real problem is Republicans preparing to confirm Cabinet nominees without insisting on ethics clearance. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#21 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:29 pm

Bob78164 wrote: In any event, the real problem is Republicans preparing to confirm Cabinet nominees without insisting on ethics clearance. --Bob
And that's the one thing that Trump has become a master at: Twitter Theater.

In order to distract attention from his many real failings that have a direct effect on his ability to lead this country, he picks a fight with Meryl Streep or Miss Universe or Alec Baldwin or whoever, knowing that the people who are offended by it were never going to support him anyway and that the media will fall all over themselves breathlessly reporting this latest "feud" as real news.

flockofseagulls104

#22 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:45 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I don't need someone to tell me the facts about a video that supports what I want to believe.
There, fixed it for you.

flockofseagulls104

#23 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:46 pm

Bob78164 wrote: In any event, the real problem is Republicans preparing to confirm Cabinet nominees without insisting on ethics clearance. --Bob
And that's the one thing that Trump has become a master at: Twitter Theater.

In order to distract attention from his many real failings that have a direct effect on his ability to lead this country, he picks a fight with Meryl Streep or Miss Universe or Alec Baldwin or whoever, knowing that the people who are offended by it were never going to support him anyway and that the media will fall all over themselves breathlessly reporting this latest "feud" as real news.
Umm, I don't think he picked a fight with Ms Streep. I would say she did the picking....

But nice job at avoiding the point I was making when I posted this thread.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#24 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:28 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: That combined with his public statement that he'd never make fun of the disabled. That covers it for me, because I am not interested in sustaining a false narrative, like you seem to be.
OK, Donald Trump denies it so that's the end of the story.
Let me rephrase this. A liar denies doing what he did. On camera. --Bob

elwoodblues

#25 Post by elwoodblues » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:49 pm

Even if Trump was not actually mocking the reporter's disability he was still acting like a child. Does anyone dispute that?