2013 Audition List

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
jarnon

Re: 2013 Audition List

#301 Post by jarnon » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:51 pm

temple1234 wrote:For the people who have already taped can you explain the tape day process with me? I will be bringing my wife and 3 year old son to New York with me. They told me that I can not bring my 3 year old son to the studio so my wife will have to stay in the hotel with him while I tape. Which such since I won't have anyone there in the audience for me. The producer over the phone told me that tape days are 12 hours long and that she didn't know if I would tape on the 29th or the 30th. Just curious what some people's experience was like. Thanks
I taped on October 16. My wife was too ill to make the trip, so my son Dave came with his wife and kids, age 6 & 4. Dave was my studio guest, and my brother Mike, who lives in NYC, was in the audience too. But your family doesn't have to stay in the hotel all day. They can have fun in the city. Not all the attractions are expensive. My family rode the ferry to Staten Island and back (though that may be chilly on the 29th).

I was in the studio at 7 a.m. The audience was there by 9:45, and taping started at 10:30. I was lucky to go early. They taped six shows on the 16th, so some contestants had to stay until 6 p.m., and a few had to return the next day.

Best of luck!
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#302 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:50 pm

emi, auditioned May 23, :(, auditioned June 25, :)
levinc52, auditioned June 10, :(
LostinTrinity, auditioned June 12, :(
Maddy, auditioned June 19, :D, taped September 17
The_Raven, auditioned June 19, :)
goongas. auditioned June 26, :(
jurisdoctor07, auditioned July 8, :D, taped September 25
scarlet235, auditioned July 8, :(
Saint Austin, auditioned July 8, :)
PrinceSam3, auditioned July 8, :D, taped August 21
Bob78164, auditioned July 10, :)
danangel, auditioned July 10, :)
bassplayingsugarplum, auditioned July 10, :D, taped August 21
friendofuly, auditioned July 10, :D, taped September 25
dallasnonpasser, auditioned July 10, :)
englishchaser, auditioned July 10, :D, taped August 22
temple1234, auditioned July 10, :D, taping October 29
thejeopardyfan, auditioned July 12, :(
Steven Sousa, auditioned July 12, :x
themanintheseersuckersuit, auditioned July 24, :(
son of Leon, auditioned July 24, :(
PanicinDetroit, auditioned July 26, :D, taped August 28-29
Ssydd, auditioned August 1, passed written test
ladysoleil, auditioned August 21, :D, taping October 24
jarnon, auditioned September 11, :(, auditioned October 8, :D, taped October 16
ulyandulysfriendfriend, auditioned September 12, :(, auditioned September 25, :D, taping October 30
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

temple1234

#303 Post by temple1234 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:45 am

jarnon wrote:
temple1234 wrote:For the people who have already taped can you explain the tape day process with me? I will be bringing my wife and 3 year old son to New York with me. They told me that I can not bring my 3 year old son to the studio so my wife will have to stay in the hotel with him while I tape. Which such since I won't have anyone there in the audience for me. The producer over the phone told me that tape days are 12 hours long and that she didn't know if I would tape on the 29th or the 30th. Just curious what some people's experience was like. Thanks
I taped on October 16. My wife was too ill to make the trip, so my son Dave came with his wife and kids, age 6 & 4. Dave was my studio guest, and my brother Mike, who lives in NYC, was in the audience too. But your family doesn't have to stay in the hotel all day. They can have fun in the city. Not all the attractions are expensive. My family rode the ferry to Staten Island and back (though that may be chilly on the 29th).

I was in the studio at 7 a.m. The audience was there by 9:45, and taping started at 10:30. I was lucky to go early. They taped six shows on the 16th, so some contestants had to stay until 6 p.m., and a few had to return the next day.

Best of luck!
Okay, thanks. Yeah I was telling my wife she doesn't have to stay in the hotel all day. It sucks that I won't have anyone in the audience with me. Will the show mind that I don't have anyone in the audience?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#304 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:10 pm

topiary, auditioned July 12, :)
ladysoleil, auditioned August 21, :D, taping October 24
ulyandulysfriendfriend, auditioned September 12, :(, auditioned September 25, :D, taping October 30
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

temple1234

#305 Post by temple1234 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:34 pm

I'm leaving for New York the day after tomorrow! Getting super excited! Any tips from previous contestants would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

BassPlayingSugarplum

#306 Post by BassPlayingSugarplum » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:15 pm

1. Bring something warm to wear in the green room -- it's freezing.

2. You can tune out everything they tell you during the 3 talks you'll get EXCEPT how to use the ATA. Pay attention to that part. It's good advice.

3. Don't get too attached to your jumps. If you worry too much about saving them, you'll still have them when you go home. And the little fuckers follow you around. Trust me on this one.

4. You've already made it onto the show. Don't worry about looking stupid, or being funny, or any of that -- just concentrate on playing your best game. Everything else is the producers' problem.

5. Remember that some of it is just out of your control. The producers can give you an easy stack or a hard one and that's just the way it is. But if you don't know an answer, take the time to think it through -- there may be something you missed. You may feel pressured for time, but unless you get a warning from them, again, it's their problem, not yours. That's what editors are for.

If you want anything more specific, feel free to ask. Just beware of advice -- the show is changing all the time, and what was good advice even a few weeks ago may not be the best advice today. Except the temperature part. That's never gonna change.

temple1234

#307 Post by temple1234 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:30 pm

BassPlayingSugarplum wrote:1. Bring something warm to wear in the green room -- it's freezing.

2. You can tune out everything they tell you during the 3 talks you'll get EXCEPT how to use the ATA. Pay attention to that part. It's good advice.

3. Don't get too attached to your jumps. If you worry too much about saving them, you'll still have them when you go home. And the little fuckers follow you around. Trust me on this one.

4. You've already made it onto the show. Don't worry about looking stupid, or being funny, or any of that -- just concentrate on playing your best game. Everything else is the producers' problem.

5. Remember that some of it is just out of your control. The producers can give you an easy stack or a hard one and that's just the way it is. But if you don't know an answer, take the time to think it through -- there may be something you missed. You may feel pressured for time, but unless you get a warning from them, again, it's their problem, not yours. That's what editors are for.

If you want anything more specific, feel free to ask. Just beware of advice -- the show is changing all the time, and what was good advice even a few weeks ago may not be the best advice today. Except the temperature part. That's never gonna change.
Thank for the help. However, I don't think people understand how important the jumps are in the 2nd round and waste them when they should have just gone with their gut. I have seen people on the last question in the first round say they know the answer but will use the jump just to get to the next round. Now that's just dumb. Hopefully, I get an easy stack of questions. It's pretty often I can get to the 2nd round without using a lifeline when I watch so we will see.

jarnon

#308 Post by jarnon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:12 pm

BassPlayingSugarplum wrote:You've already made it onto the show. Don't worry about looking stupid, or being funny, or any of that -- just concentrate on playing your best game. Everything else is the producers' problem.
Cedric provides all the humor the show needs. He isn't called "the Entertainer" for nothing. But I have a request for fellow MAWG contestants: Be a good straight man. Don't leave your personality at the door. TPTB are finally selecting some of us this season. Don't make them regret it.
temple1234 wrote:I don't think people understand how important the jumps are in the 2nd round.
For most contestants, having a JTQ in Classic Millionaire means they'll jump the $100K question and walk on the $250K one. They win the same amount with or without the jump. So they're better off using their JTQs in Round 1. (But if they're able to answer the $100K question, the JTQ becomes very valuable.)
Last edited by jarnon on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

ladysoleil

#309 Post by ladysoleil » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:44 am

Get as much sleep as you possibly can on Monday night. It's a difficult thing, especially because you'll be keyed up, but try your hardest. It can be a very long day, and you'll be feeling stressed. The exhaustion factor is no joke.

Bob Juch

#310 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:43 am

ladysoleil wrote:Get as much sleep as you possibly can on Monday night. It's a difficult thing, especially because you'll be keyed up, but try your hardest. It can be a very long day, and you'll be feeling stressed. The exhaustion factor is no joke.
And have strawberries for breakfast. The smell of strawberries is supposed to enhance your memory.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#311 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:50 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
ladysoleil wrote:Get as much sleep as you possibly can on Monday night. It's a difficult thing, especially because you'll be keyed up, but try your hardest. It can be a very long day, and you'll be feeling stressed. The exhaustion factor is no joke.
And have strawberries for breakfast. The smell of strawberries is supposed to enhance your memory.
I think I had some strawberries for breakfast this morning...maybe...or not...
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#312 Post by Estonut » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:37 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
I think I had some strawberries for breakfast this morning...maybe...or not...
It'd be a lost cause if someone opened a can of tuna...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

The_Raven

#313 Post by The_Raven » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:26 am

So I'm thinking I'm pretty well screwed for this season, it's a fair assumption they've already booked all the taping days remaining. What are the odds I get called during next season, or should I just assume I got bonked for some reason?

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#314 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:15 pm

The_Raven wrote:So I'm thinking I'm pretty well screwed for this season, it's a fair assumption they've already booked all the taping days remaining. What are the odds I get called during next season, or should I just assume I got bonked for some reason?

Dallasnonpasser (MAWGal) is not feeling the love either...

Maddy

#315 Post by Maddy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:22 pm

jarnon wrote:
BassPlayingSugarplum wrote:You've already made it onto the show. Don't worry about looking stupid, or being funny, or any of that -- just concentrate on playing your best game. Everything else is the producers' problem.
Cedric provides all the humor the show needs. He isn't called "the Entertainer" for nothing. But I have a request for fellow MAWG contestants: Be a good straight man. Don't leave your personality at the door. TPTB are finally selecting some of us this season. Don't make them regret it.
temple1234 wrote:I don't think people understand how important the jumps are in the 2nd round.
For most contestants, having a JTQ in Classic Millionaire means they'll jump the $100K question and walk on the $250K one. They win the same amount with or without the jump. So they're better off using their JTQs in Round 1. (But if they're able to answer the $100K question, the JTQ becomes very valuable.)
I'm with you. ATA's are useless in Classic but you only need 1 JTQ in CLassic, although 2 would be a dream.

Maddy

#316 Post by Maddy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:24 pm

The_Raven wrote:So I'm thinking I'm pretty well screwed for this season, it's a fair assumption they've already booked all the taping days remaining. What are the odds I get called during next season, or should I just assume I got bonked for some reason?
Looks like the last booking calls are going out right now. I have a friend who just got the call tonight to tape Tuesday and Wednesday with the caveat that he may not make it on the show at all. I imagine there will be at least 3 people booked for just Wednesday with that same caveat.

(edit OH SHOOT)

WAIT! Never mind, I misunderstood or his date changed. I'm not too clear on that one. BUT he's taping this week. Still. Those calls are going out. It's coming to an end soon for this season. Good luck, everyone still in the pool.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#317 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:42 pm

Friendofuly's show airs tomorrow and Wednesday...

...it should be exciting...

Oh, his name is Chris Ngoon and some may know him from TCONA...

ladysoleil

#318 Post by ladysoleil » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:22 pm

To update the list, I taped today. :) It was a hell of a lot of fun. And now, off to bed. :)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#319 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:30 am

topiary, auditioned July 12, :)
ladysoleil, auditioned August 21, :D, taped October 29

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#320 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:11 am

ladysoleil wrote:To update the list, I taped today. :) It was a hell of a lot of fun. And now, off to bed. :)
ladysoleil, I am looking forward to seeing your show! I hope you did well and came home happy. "Hell of a lot of fun" sounds like a good sign on both counts!

(I do wish you would have been selected during your "combat boots" fashion phase. I would have loved to have seen that, too.) :)
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

temple1234

#321 Post by temple1234 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:41 am

ladysoleil wrote:To update the list, I taped today. :) It was a hell of a lot of fun. And now, off to bed. :)
Hello, I was in the green room with you yesterday. Which one were you? I was the guy with the photography and photo booth company.

ladysoleil

#322 Post by ladysoleil » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:16 am

temple1234 wrote:
Hello, I was in the green room with you yesterday. Which one were you? I was the guy with the photography and photo booth company.
:) I enjoyed hanging out with you yesterday! Figured we'd compare notes at some point. I'm the one married to the caricature artist.

Hope you had a good day yesterday, or will have a better one today!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#323 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:05 am

temple1234 wrote:
So did you tape yesterday? --Bob

backdoorcut

#324 Post by backdoorcut » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:28 pm

My wife, youngest daughter, and I were in NYC on September 30 and October 1 to look at colleges. While they went sightseeing on October 1, I went to Millionaire. Only about seven of us passed the test. I even got a second interview that the associate producer taped -- I got all five answers correct. He wanted me to return the next day for a taping. However, we were returning home that evening because we had to be at work and school the next day. I did receive a postcard that I could be a future contestant. Actually, I would be a lousy contestant. I only passed the test because I studied my brother's transcripts of the show from the last two years. When I received the card, I wrote the show asking them to remove me from the list. It's my older brother who should be on the show. He's the smart one has passed the test several times; however, he always gets negative postcards.

jarnon

#325 Post by jarnon » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:16 pm

Welcome aBored, backdoorcut! Some Millionaire diehards may grumble to themselves that you turned down the chance to be a contestant. (At least one Bored veteran actually drove through a hurricane to be on the show.) If you're called again, maybe your brother can disguise himself as you and win the big bucks. :twisted:
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי