AAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

AAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!

#1 Post by minimetoo26 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:27 am

It's hard to think of anything more frustrating than trying to tell an otherwise intelligent child to stop using phone data for just 3 hours until he gets back to the wifi. Can you live without staring at a 4-inch screen for a mere 3 hours?? Since you've maxed out your data roaming?? Your dad paid over $100 for less than 5 minutes once when he was in Canada. Learn from mistakes....
Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used.

-Carl Sagan

minimetoo26

Re: AAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!

#2 Post by minimetoo26 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:31 am

He's still arguing with me. Bet he's been Facetiming his woman the whole trip.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used.

-Carl Sagan

Vandal
Director of Promos

#3 Post by Vandal » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:36 am

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#4 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:37 am

Just another reason to be a Cingular Jenius......

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

minimetoo26

#5 Post by minimetoo26 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:43 am

littlebeast13 wrote:Just another reason to be a Cingular Jenius......

lb13
I usually make them wait until they're 16 to get a phone, but this one has too many activities. It was dad's idea to get him the iPhone, though... :evil:

-Carl Sagan

a1mamacat

#6 Post by a1mamacat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:44 am

minimetoo26 wrote:It's hard to think of anything more frustrating than trying to tell an otherwise intelligent child to stop using phone data for just 3 hours until he gets back to the wifi. Can you live without staring at a 4-inch screen for a mere 3 hours?? Since you've maxed out your data roaming?? Your dad paid over $100 for less than 5 minutes once when he was in Canada. Learn from mistakes....
could be worse...

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/right-cl ... 05779.html

No one really likes getting those hefty cell phone bills, but a B.C. dad is especially peeved after being charged thousands of dollars in roaming charges while on a family trip to Mexico.

According to the CBC, Matt Buie is a Fido customer, whose parent company is Rogers. The Burnaby father recently took his family of four on a vacation down south, where his 11-year-old son got a sun burn and was forced to entertain himself indoors over the course of three days. He asked to play video games on Buie’s iPhone, and despite his paranoia about roaming charges, Buie relented and lent his son the smartphone.

Before leaving for vacation, Buie turned the iPhone to ‘airplane mode’ in order to prevent any unwanted roaming charges.

“I made a mistake here – as his father – and he made a mistake. He turned off the airplane mode and was watching YouTube videos,” Buie told CBC. “I should have taken the SIM card out… or not let him use the phone.” That’s the guilt I have to live with. I clearly should have known better.”

Buie’s son used approximately 700 MB of data, or what equals about 12 hours of streaming YouTube video. Buie got a text message from Fido saying that his phone was going to be shut down for security reasons due to the high data usage, but not before accruing a $22,000 bill in roaming charges.

“When I heard $22,000 and my son happened to hear $22,000, he went into a fetal position and was crying,” Buie said. “It was just mind boggling for him.”

Buie is far from the only person to accrue an outrageous phone bill while on vacation; just last September, Russ Moyer traveled to Israel for a ten-day trip, and received a bill for $9,380 because he didn’t disable data roaming on his iPad.

“This charge is more than the cost of my trip to Israel, car and iPad,” Moyer told The Toronto Star in reference to his bill from Bell Mobility. “What bothers me is that I was never contacted.”ight Click: The best and worst provinces for cell phone contracts While consumers should be responsible for knowing what charges they will incur while traveling abroad, Canada is also home to some of the world’s most expensive wireless data roaming charges. When compared to 33 other countries, Canada ranked the fifth most expensive, behind Chile, the U.S., Poland and Japan.

That could soon be remedied, however, depending on the outcome of a series of hearings currently happening at the CRTC seeking to create a wireless code in Canada. One of the changes to the wireless industry being sought by Canadians is a cap on wireless data roaming charges at $50.

Buie says that he wished he had been cut off at a certain limit rather than accrue thousands of dollars of charges. Customers of competitor Telus automatically have their data usage cut once it surpasses the $200 mark. Fido has reduced Buie’s bill down to $2,200, but he hopes that he can reduce that bill even further.

“I would rather be cut off,” Buie said. “If Fido was just reasonable about it, I would pay the amount and that would be the end of it.”
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#7 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:47 am

minimetoo26 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:Just another reason to be a Cingular Jenius......

lb13
I usually make them wait until they're 16 to get a phone, but this one has too many activities. It was dad's idea to get him the iPhone, though... :evil:

Then Daddy gets to pay the bill!

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:39 pm

minimetoo26 wrote:It's hard to think of anything more frustrating than trying to tell an otherwise intelligent child to stop using phone data for just 3 hours until he gets back to the wifi. Can you live without staring at a 4-inch screen for a mere 3 hours?? Since you've maxed out your data roaming?? Your dad paid over $100 for less than 5 minutes once when he was in Canada. Learn from mistakes....
<Ann Landers> Maybe I'm missing something. Who's the boss?

Take the phone from him. Don't let him have it back for some period of time that will hurt. Done. Next offense, go online and turn data off on the phone. Turn the Iphone into a non-smart phone.

Quit enabling the behavior you don't want. Grow a pair.

</Ann Landers>

OK. Maybe that last comment is BiT and not Ann.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

minimetoo26

#9 Post by minimetoo26 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:44 pm

BackInTex wrote:
<Ann Landers> Maybe I'm missing something. Who's the boss?

Take the phone from him. Don't let him have it back for some period of time that will hurt. Done. Next offense, go online and turn data off on the phone. Turn the Iphone into a non-smart phone.

Quit enabling the behavior you don't want. Grow a pair.

</Ann Landers>

OK. Maybe that last comment is BiT and not Ann.
The child in question is 2500 miles away. He is used to me confiscating it at 8 pm every school night and returning it only as he is walking out the door for school the next day. I'm That Mom.

But he is on spring break and I cannot physically confiscate the phone and have told him to just use it to text. It took some back and forth before he realized I was about to confiscate his cash money, which is not 2500 miles away...

-Carl Sagan

jaybee

#10 Post by jaybee » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:42 pm

I am assuming (and hoping) that he will be stuck with paying the overage bill? Money, especially when you loose it, is one of the few motivators that teenagers MAY listen to.

Back in the day when I was a teenager when all we had were land-line phones (with rotary dials no less!), my girlfriend lived in the adjoining county. Back then, it cost more money for in-state long distance than out of state long distance. The first time my parents handed me a $125.00 phone bill it got my attention.

Kept the girlfriend and learned to write letters.
Jaybee

Jessie

#11 Post by Jessie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:23 pm

I feel your pain! Our girls have exceeded their data allowance the past few months.
Winner of Sh&%house Rats Award 2010
Co-Winner of Sh&%house Rats Award 2014

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:37 pm

I agree with what others have posted. The "child" is an adult. Let him be responsible for his own roaming charges.

He'll learn...

minimetoo26

#13 Post by minimetoo26 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:15 pm

It wasn't a question of paying--it was that he kept arguing about stuff, like that he was using a gift card to pay for his downloads (all these episodes of The Walking Dead) but that was an iTunes deal and not an AT&T one. If I say knock it off, you knock it off. Now.

-Carl Sagan

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#14 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:28 pm

minimetoo26 wrote:If I say knock it off, you knock it off. Now.

LOL! Like that ever stopped me before.... :P :P :P :P

lb13

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#15 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:32 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
minimetoo26 wrote:If I say knock it off, you knock it off. Now.

LOL! Like that ever stopped me before.... :P :P :P :P

lb13
So true . . .
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller