All Good Things.... (Bored Transfer/Relocation....Maybe?)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tubadave
Official Bored Breaker/Fixer

All Good Things.... (Bored Transfer/Relocation....Maybe?)

#1 Post by tubadave » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:34 pm

EDIT: Feel free to disregard that 1/13/2013 date for now.....although the Bored is currently running very poorly, and posting is minimal, I won't take it down when a new home is in the works. I am in touch with LB and Eyegor on this, and will be assisting every step of the way. Once everything is up and running, I will step aside, continue to act as an admin, be a technical consultant....whatever is needed and appropriate. I'm still willing to do whatever I can, but the time is definitely right for me to pass this off, or at least to no longer be the only one with the keys to the kingdom, as it were. 8)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In early October of 2007, I made a decision which I have never regretted, taking on the job of hosting the Bored. Five years and nearly three months later, it has become obvious to me that, for quite a while now, I have lacked the time and patience to effectively administer the Bored. It's been fun, but all good things must come to an end, as they say. It's time for someone new to step in and take over the reins.

Therefore, I have decided that I will be shutting down this iteration of the Bored on Sunday evening, 1/13/2013.

Presumably, one or more of the technically-minded among you will want to step in and take over. There are two ways to accomplish this:

1) Start a new Bored elsewhere.

2) Transfer all the existing files for this Bored elsewhere.

Obviously, #1 is much easier to accomplish, but in either case, I will redirect wwtbambored.com to point to the new location, and then transfer ownership of the domain as well.

Decide amongst yourselves who will be taking charge of this (let's not have 3+ Boreds to choose from again, heh) and get in touch with me ASAP, either via Facebook, or at tubadave@normalview.com. If necessary, lb13 can reach me by phone.

My availability will be a bit sketchy this weekend, but I will respond to any messages sent to me as soon as I can, and I should be easy enough to find during the upcoming week.

For the last 12 and a half years, but the last 5+ especially, I thank you all. I'll still pop in and say hello from time to time. :)

tubadave
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." -- Dave Barry

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: All Good Things.... (Bored Shutdown 1/13/2013)

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:40 pm

I nominate LB to take over the existing files as a person I know and trust.

Hope it works . . .
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Catfish

#3 Post by Catfish » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:25 pm

Thanks for holding together this long, Dave! You're the best.

I don't understand all the technical mumbo-jumbo, but I second Sprots's nomination.

Love,
Catfish

a1mamacat

#4 Post by a1mamacat » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:15 pm

Thanks for the last 5 Dave, I know it can't have been easy.

I have two suggestion.

We can make a private Facebook group, or utilize the old Yahoo group. Phoenix is still alive, I checked.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

ne1410s

#5 Post by ne1410s » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:14 am

Ya know, Dave, it really was a good thing. Thank you.

Tom
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:15 am

a1mamacat wrote:Thanks for the last 5 Dave, I know it can't have been easy.

I have two suggestion.

We can make a private Facebook group, or utilize the old Yahoo group. Phoenix is still alive, I checked.
I think this format of the Bored is quite handy. The issue is who has the combination of willingness, technical know-how, and trust of our community to be a new host. Leaving aside trust issues, I lack the technical know-how. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

franktangredi

#7 Post by franktangredi » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:42 am

I have no suggestions. I just want to say thank you.

Buffacuse

#8 Post by Buffacuse » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:46 am

Dave, you rock for getting us this far. I'm still amazed at our longevity after they pulled the plug on the original Bored--we just refused to go away. Funny with all the fighting and sometimes hard feelings about politics the past few years, but I'll bet even those who argued with each other the most would miss each other.

I hope we stay together somewhere. I would help with this but know nothing of such things. Here's hoping we get word on a new home by the 13th.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#9 Post by littlebeast13 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:17 am

Oh, wow. Of all the possible scenarios I played out in my head for what to expect when I came home this morning, this was definitely not among them. I knew you were here last night and doing something.....

I agree that it is time to start over. I was half expecting to see a fresh clean Bored this morning, and I wouldn't have been upset by that one bit. I also agree with your self-assessment of the situation, and DevilKitty, as usual, was spot on when she pointed it out yesterday. A message board is useless without someone who is there all the time to take an active interest in it.

At this point, I really can't do much else but offer up my suggestions for what to do. My preference would definitely be for another Bored of this format. In fact, I probably wouldn't continue on to a place that was not similar to what we have here.

I will absolutely NOT go to Facebook. If that turns out to be the new destination, I'll be tipping my cap for all the wonderful years here and retreating to my blog as my new internet home. I'm pretty sure I'm not along in that department though (blog notwithstanding).

As much as I would be willing to take on the role of Bored owner, the fact is I don't know jack shit about the blood and guts of hosting a message board. The code, the server, none of that stuff. I don't think I could learn that in the course of a week either.

If somebody out there does step forward to create a new php Bored home for us (besides the obvious ones who would be on most BB's "guess who's not coming to dinner" lists), I would again make myself available as a deputy administrator. After 5 years, I have become good at how to work things behind the scenes in the admin control panel.

I do have a few questions though that I'm hoping Dave can answer for me.....

1. What will become of this place regardless of the outcome? If a new board is created, but the files not transferred (a good idea assuming the indexing stuff 15QA was talking about can't be streamlined), will they be available anywhere or merely deleted? If nobody steps to the plate, and wwtbambored.com just becomes a ghost town, will the content remain here, or will it just be a permanent Closed sign?

2. I noticed last night the chat room was shut down (and is still shut down this morning), which is kind of ironic since it was the one thing on wwtbambored that still worked like a charm. Can that be kept, again, regardless of the outcome, because I think the usual gang would still like a place to hang out in the evenings?

Thank you Dave for what you did for us 5 years ago. I never thought I would say this, as much as I enjoyed the olden days of the PRoG, but I honestly experienced the best times of my Bored life (which has now encompassed 1/3 of my time here on earth) on this iteration of the Bored. It was on this Bored that I forged true friendships with some of the denizens here... a few of whom hadn't even crossed my path until a few years ago. It was on this Bored that I created the semi-fictional world of Evil Squirrel, who has given me almost five years of enjoyment now, not to mention for others on the Bored as well as a brand new worldwide audience I am entertaining on my blog. It was on this Bored that.....

led to....

And though it still tears at me, I wouldn't trade that experience for the fucking world.

Thank you Dave for everything you did for us. I am, and will be eternally grateful for it....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

geoffil

#10 Post by geoffil » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:19 am

Thank you Dave for tireless dedication and all your hard work. Thank you , thank you , thank you.

I will miss this board because I met some really great people and was able to share so many experiences non-BAM related.

I don't know anything about the behind the scenes stuff needed to run a bored. I second not wanting to use facebook.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#11 Post by minimetoo26 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:58 am

Thanks for putting up with all the Merrymaking over the years!

I'd be miserable someplace I couldn't change costumes, so Facebook and Yahoo aren't my cup of tea. I belong to other fora without avatars and smileys and YouTube embedding and they are just tedious talking. I can keep up with beast on his blog--I tend to check in there and bug him daily anyway since this place kept kicking me out.

So, whatever happens, I'll be there, or I won't. I can be reached at this name @yahoo if anything develops after the 13th (nice touch!) since I wouldn't be able to find you guys through Facebook.

Vaya con dios, my Darlings!
Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used.

-Carl Sagan

earendel

#12 Post by earendel » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:08 am

"So long, farewell, auf weidersehn, good night.
I hate to go and leave this pretty sight."

I really hate to read this. This Bored has survived so much - Morlock invasions, the demise of the primetime version of BAM, various migrations through the Interwebs, and so on. I understand the necessity, however, and I hope someone will take up the banner and keep the Bored going in some iteration or another. I have a Facebook account but would not want this community to end up there.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:24 am

My ESP is working again. Yesterday I created a Facebook page called The Bored. Here's the link to it: http://www.facebook.com/wwtbambored

I know there are several who hate Facebook and many more who like the phpBB format as well as some who wouldn't want to see me as an administrator, but there it is; a temporary home if needed.

I do have the expertise to create a new phpBB on a new host that will give us excellent performance. The cost is about $100 per year.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#14 Post by minimetoo26 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:36 am

Bob Juch wrote:My ESP is working again. Yesterday I created a Facebook page called The Bored. Here's the link to it: http://www.facebook.com/wwtbambored

I know there are several who hate Facebook and many more who like the phpBB format as well as some who wouldn't want to see me as an administrator, but there it is; a temporary home if needed.

I do have the expertise to create a new phpBB on a new host that will give us excellent performance. The cost is about $100 per year.
But can I get a tree drilled there? :P

(Okay--THIS page I can find....)
Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used.

-Carl Sagan

mellytu74

#15 Post by mellytu74 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:39 am

Dave -

I can't help on the computer end. I CAN send an email to everyone if you need it. :D

I just wanted to say "Thank you."

It's funny, right before the Bored started going kablooey, I went through some posts from over the years. I had a sense of melancholy reading some of them -- almost like saying goodbye.

I hope we can start over. I haven't been here a lot lately but I would miss it something awful.

Bob Juch

#16 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:52 am

To get to The Bored Ark, go to this URL: http://www.facebook.com/groups/BoredArk/

That's not the same thing as a Facebook Page however. With a Page we have a lot more control over the look of things and it holds all the messages; it's not just a collection of all of us.

I'll be more than happy to add other administrators to The Bored Page and after it's set up, to drop out as one.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#17 Post by Rexer25 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:00 am

All I can say is thanks, Dave, for volunteering to be our host for so long. Even though I'm not here nearly as often as I would like, I will miss this place, and I hope something similar is found soon.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

Sistine Fanny
Underground Artiste

#18 Post by Sistine Fanny » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:16 am

Thanks for hanging in there so long, Dave. Even though it's sad, can't say I blame you for your decision to close up shop.

Irony of ironies, I've been catching up on some old posts since there have been no errors and a zippy response time all morning......
It's the Final Countdown.....

thguy65

#19 Post by thguy65 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:13 pm

Stage 1: NOOOOO! It can't be happening again!
Stage 2: :evil:
Stage 3: Somewhat better response time today. Maybe shutting down Chat helped the system, and we could keep on here? Nope, got another error message. Besides, we can't do it without Dave's gracious guidance.
Stage 4: :cry:
Stage 5: Sigh. If everything moves to Facebook, I will bid adieu to the group and hope I can catch anything major by other methods. I think the phpBB format has been wonderful, so I hope a solution using it will be found. I wish I had the ability to help out. If enough folks want to take up BobJ on his offer to create another phpBB for $100/year, I think it would be reasonable for a bunch of us to contribute $5-10/year to defray the costs.

Many thanks to Dave for giving us this home until now
Tim H.

- My other computer is Image

MarleysGh0st

#20 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:22 pm

<sigh>

Thank you, Dave!

I'm tired and don't really have the energy to deal with this, today. However, for the Facebook people among us, how common/acceptable is it over there to have multiple identities? I've always posted here under my pseudonym and I'd prefer to continue participating on a Facebook Bored (if that's what we end up with) that way. But if I do finally assimilate on Facebook, I ought to register under my real name for my real life friends and family. Seems like a dilemma on a site where everyone is supposed to be themselves (aside from all the corporate/issue-oriented pages).

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#21 Post by silvercamaro » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:26 pm

I am in mourning. I haven't made it to stage 2 yet, except to remember that I am an avowed non-FaceBooker.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

DevilKitty100

#22 Post by DevilKitty100 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:36 pm

Didn't want to miss thanking Dave for all that he has done, also. I know what it's like taking on a task that sounds like, and is fun, at the beginning only to have it become just an unbearable task as time goes on. Sort of reminds me of people who have a hobby and then think they can make money at it only to end up wondering what in the hell they were thinking.

Anyway, thanks Dave, for all you did and especially thanks for stepping up to the plate with a clear, definitive answer......even though it wasn't the one we wanted to hear. :mrgreen: I personally deal with reality much better than I do the unknown and now we all know we have to reconnoiter and do something else.

jaybee

#23 Post by jaybee » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:47 pm

I saw and responded to DK's other thread before I noticed this "All Good Things" banner.

Definitely - Thank you Dave and everyone who has worked so hard to keep this place running.

In the other thread, I said that whatever works, count me in. I have to amend that to anything short of a Facebook option. I have an almost pathological hatred of FB and even if I was forced to join to remain within this group, it would only take a week or so until I was "asked to leave" (AKA - tossed out) because I would find it impossible to control my anti FB rants. (Note: I would have similar issues if this became the Kardashian bored)

Some thoughts:

1. Is a $100 per year figure for an operating bored accurate? If not, then what?
2. What is a reasonable fee to pay an administrator?
3. How many 'regulars" do we have here? I'm thinking about 125.
4. How much is everyone willing to kick in? For myself, I could justify an annual fee of $100, but I will admit I'd much rather see it in the $20 range. Probably because we've had this service for free for so long that I have to believe that we can get another home for much less than 12 grand a year (if it were 125 people @ $100 each)
5. If we are going to pay an administrator, then I'll toss out this name: Mike Lease
6. Should we do a poll for any of the above questions?

I'd like to add something noble and witty and loving just in case this place locks up after I post this but I'm still way too upset over the entire 'Flipper' incident.
Jaybee

Bob Juch

#24 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:31 pm

jaybee wrote:I saw and responded to DK's other thread before I noticed this "All Good Things" banner.

Definitely - Thank you Dave and everyone who has worked so hard to keep this place running.

In the other thread, I said that whatever works, count me in. I have to amend that to anything short of a Facebook option. I have an almost pathological hatred of FB and even if I was forced to join to remain within this group, it would only take a week or so until I was "asked to leave" (AKA - tossed out) because I would find it impossible to control my anti FB rants. (Note: I would have similar issues if this became the Kardashian bored)

Some thoughts:

1. Is a $100 per year figure for an operating bored accurate? If not, then what?
2. What is a reasonable fee to pay an administrator?
3. How many 'regulars" do we have here? I'm thinking about 125.
4. How much is everyone willing to kick in? For myself, I could justify an annual fee of $100, but I will admit I'd much rather see it in the $20 range. Probably because we've had this service for free for so long that I have to believe that we can get another home for much less than 12 grand a year (if it were 125 people @ $100 each)
5. If we are going to pay an administrator, then I'll toss out this name: Mike Lease
6. Should we do a poll for any of the above questions?

I'd like to add something noble and witty and loving just in case this place locks up after I post this but I'm still way too upset over the entire 'Flipper' incident.
That's $100 per year for the website, not per person.

ghostjmf

#25 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:48 pm

Marley says/asks:
I'm tired and don't really have the energy to deal with this, today. However, for the Facebook people among us, how common/acceptable is it over there to have multiple identities? I've always posted here under my pseudonym and I'd prefer to continue participating on a Facebook Bored (if that's what we end up with) that way. But if I do finally assimilate on Facebook, I ought to register under my real name for my real life friends and family. Seems like a dilemma on a site where everyone is supposed to be themselves (aside from all the corporate/issue-oriented pages).

I've put this in a diff thread, but here it is recapped:

There are those of us who are already on Facebook, for whatever reason,
as ourselves. I am under too much strain these days to create an
alternate personality with a Facebook account. But maybe for this
board I soon will.

Those of you who have not yet joined Facebook; you do not actually
need to use your real name. Whatever you choose has to look
like a real name to the Facebook-gods, so pick a 1st & last name, one
of which incorporates your board name if you wish, & you're off.
Facebook polices those it thinks are trying to swear with the names
they've invented, but has not so far otherwise drop-kicked any
fake-named person who isn't an international figure; they reportedly
did drop-kick the guy who helped start the Tahrir Square rising in
Egypt, for instance, for using a pseudonym, once it became known he'd
done that.

You do have to give Facebook a real e-mail address, i.e. one they can reach you at (as I recall they will, to confirm your joining). Can you have more than one Facebook ID, i.e. 2 Facebook accounts, the way you can have multiple gmail accounts? I haven't tried so don't know.

There are Facebook fields you have to fill in, but you don't have to fill them in with the truth. I gave them my real year of birth, but a bogus month & year, more to supposedly protect myself from identity thieves than anything else. [Then, of course, they send out stuff to my real friends telling them to wish me Happy Birthday on the bogus birthday. And another site that has my real birthday for business reasons persists on posting me Happy Birthday notices on their site, & when I politely complained, said "oh, we didn't post the year, so no-one can trace you". Yeah sure!]