Worst Christmas toy ever?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Worst Christmas toy ever?

#1 Post by BackInTex » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:25 am

I found this somewhat funny (cut from an article about toy recalls):

the Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab for instance. What sounds like a top-secret military project was in reality a short-lived toy from the early 1950s -- and an expensive toy at that ($50 at the time, or more than $300 in today's dollars).
The toy was the most elaborate atomic energy educational set ever produced, containing actual uranium ore. Say what you will about current safety standards, but you can be pretty sure not many of today's toys are radioactive.
Here is the article
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

Re: Worst Christmas toy ever?

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:34 am

I had a lot of Gilbert items but not that one.

I had a cloud chamber that used a small bit of radium.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Vague Mini
Merry Man

#3 Post by Vague Mini » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:37 am

I would have thought it was the coolest toy ever! I wouldn't call it the worst; just the most dangerous...
Huh? What?

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#4 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:54 am

All of my toys contained actual Uranus.....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#5 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:47 am

Vague Mini wrote:I would have thought it was the coolest toy ever! I wouldn't call it the worst; just the most dangerous...

I'll bet they tested it on squirrels and possums....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:48 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Vague Mini wrote:I would have thought it was the coolest toy ever! I wouldn't call it the worst; just the most dangerous...

lb13
Found it!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

franktangredi

#7 Post by franktangredi » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:57 am

I was born in the 1950s, but my parents never bought me that kit. However, some of my friends got it and loved playing with it. There was Bobby --

and little Johnny --

and, of course, Loretta --

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#8 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:40 am

littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13
That is an LOL-worthy avatar! It will win!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:26 pm

When I was about 10 years old, I got radium treatments to help clear up my sinuses. There was a little piece of radium on the tip of something that looked like a Fourth of July sparkler, and they inserted it inside my nose and left it there for about 10-20 minutes each nostril (the sparkler was kept inside what I'm guessing was a lead ball that looked like a construction wrecking ball). I had either two or three of those treatments a few days apart, and I remember the doctor telling my mother and I to be sure that I never got the treatment again because it would expose me to too much radiation.

Then I would read in school about nuclear scientists who died of radiation poisoning and how the effects are cumulative and I really started to flake out wondering if I might get radiation poisoning if I ever got another x-ray.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

rayxtwo

#10 Post by rayxtwo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:23 pm

franktangredi wrote:I was born in the 1950s, but my parents never bought me that kit. However, some of my friends got it and loved playing with it. There was Bobby --

and little Johnny --

and, of course, Loretta --

You always said, Loretta was quite the looker.

Ray