Okay, poker

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

Okay, poker

#1 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:12 am

I've never played live poker with anyone outside my family. The baseball league where I spend 94.7% of my life holds an annual golf tournament as a fundraiser, but those of us who don't golf get left out (and this year it rained like a muthah and they still soldiered on.) So now they're having a poker tournament as well this year.

Should I just view it as a donation to the league and try it? I can sit on my everlovin' and socialize until the cows come home with the best of them, but it looks like it's a room full of guys at this point. Steve has zero interest in or knowledge of poker, so I'd stand a better chance of lasting longer that a few hands than he would. I'd hate to waste 50 bucks for 20 minutes of card playing, but it's for a good cause...
Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used.

-Carl Sagan

Bob Juch

Re: Okay, poker

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:15 am

minimetoo26 wrote:I've never played live poker with anyone outside my family. The baseball league where I spend 94.7% of my life holds an annual golf tournament as a fundraiser, but those of us who don't golf get left out (and this year it rained like a muthah and they still soldiered on.) So now they're having a poker tournament as well this year.

Should I just view it as a donation to the league and try it? I can sit on my everlovin' and socialize until the cows come home with the best of them, but it looks like it's a room full of guys at this point. Steve has zero interest in or knowledge of poker, so I'd stand a better chance of lasting longer that a few hands than he would. I'd hate to waste 50 bucks for 20 minutes of card playing, but it's for a good cause...
At least play on Facebook first: https://apps.facebook.com/texas_holdem/
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#3 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:15 am

minimetoo26 wrote:. . .
Should I just view it as a donation to the league and try it? ...
Yes.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

minimetoo26

#4 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:16 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
Yes.
I'm glad you didn't tell me to just learn how to golf!
Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used.

-Carl Sagan

minimetoo26

#5 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:22 am

Bob Juch wrote:
minimetoo26 wrote:I've never played live poker with anyone outside my family. The baseball league where I spend 94.7% of my life holds an annual golf tournament as a fundraiser, but those of us who don't golf get left out (and this year it rained like a muthah and they still soldiered on.) So now they're having a poker tournament as well this year.

I don't do Facebook. I've played the kind where the computer calculates the blinds and raises anyway--it's the "live" part I need work with. But this seems like a friendly outing. I'm sure it's not cutthroat. I didn't want to be the lone female putting a damper on the guys' night out, but one of the coaches is asking if he should pick me up a ticket so at least one guy is on board.

-Carl Sagan

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#6 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:27 am

minimetoo26 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
Yes.
I'm glad you didn't tell me to just learn how to golf!
LOL! If it were April instead of November, I might have. Lots of people take the beginner lessons at the local golf course, and the day after the class finishes, they're out on the links.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:32 am

minimetoo26 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

I don't do Facebook. I've played the kind where the computer calculates the blinds and raises anyway--it's the "live" part I need work with. But this seems like a friendly outing. I'm sure it's not cutthroat. I didn't want to be the lone female putting a damper on the guys' night out, but one of the coaches is asking if he should pick me up a ticket so at least one guy is on board.
Well at least keep in mind poker rule #1: Play tight. Don't play more than 20% of the hands. If you're not the big or little blind fold any hole cards that aren't both higher than tens unless you have a pair of 8s or 9s. Fold if the flop doesn't help you unless you have a pair of 8s or higher.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:48 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
Yes.
Or--assuming a large portion of that $50 would end up in a real poker player's pocket--you could just donate the $50 to the league so that they get the full benefit of it.

minimetoo26

#9 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:24 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
Yes.
Or--assuming a large portion of that $50 would end up in a real poker player's pocket--you could just donate the $50 to the league so that they get the full benefit of it.
The prizes are donated, so they keep the ticket sales. The more tickets they sell, the more money they make. I'm trying to decide if it's worth $50 to hang with the same people I hang with most days, minus the moms and grandparents. I'm leaning towards yes...

-Carl Sagan

Sistine Fanny
Underground Artiste

#10 Post by Sistine Fanny » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:46 pm

Poker? I hardly know her!

Spoiler
You're welcome.
It's the Final Countdown.....

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#11 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:34 am

Play! And give us a report....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

The Carp
Merry Man

#12 Post by The Carp » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:37 am

Now I have to drag out the Go Fish cards and the tent!

(And, Found It! )
Bloop bloop

Debra the Zebra
Merry Man

#13 Post by Debra the Zebra » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:44 am

The Carp wrote:Now I have to drag out the Go Fish cards and the tent!

(And, Found It! )
Oh, no--not THAT again..... :roll: :roll:
Do you have any "Zs?"

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#14 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:54 am

littlebeast13 wrote:Play! And give us a report....

lb13
This is a fabulous avatar. It will win.

tlynn78

#15 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:02 am

minimetoo26 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

Do it! I used to make serious shoe money back in the day. Hub had a poker group who'd meet at our house a few times a month. By the time I got off shift, they'd knocked back a small pyramid worth of beer and I cleaned up! So, bring a twelve pack and clean them out, that's my advice.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#16 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:59 am

SportsFan68 wrote:

lb13
I meant to do this yesterday but kept getting server error, then forgot about it.

1. Sunchine
2. Mini-Doughnut
3. DK's Cold Day in Hell
4. Stinky and the Perfect Game
5. Rainbow Mirror
6. Pink
7. Serenading Angel
8. Doggie Dance Class
9. Mini-Poker
10. Gladys MBRS and the Pips
11. Mangy rodent and other vermin eating snake
12. Mellow Skanki and Buster

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#17 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:03 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:

lb13
I meant to do this yesterday but kept getting server error, then forgot about it.

1. Sunchine
2. Mini-Doughnut
3. DK's Cold Day in Hell
5. Rainbow Mirror
6. Pink
7. Serenading Angel
8. Doggie Dance Class
9. Mini-Poker

Wasn't the list longer last time? And you don't have much longer to round it out....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#18 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:50 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:

1. Sunchine
2. Mini-Doughnut
3. DK's Cold Day in Hell
5. Rainbow Mirror
6. Pink
7. Serenading Angel
8. Doggie Dance Class
9. Mini-Poker

Wasn't the list longer last time? And you don't have much longer to round it out....

lb13
One dozen is a nice round number.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#19 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:50 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:

1. Sunchine
2. Mini-Doughnut
3. DK's Cold Day in Hell
5. Rainbow Mirror
6. Pink
7. Serenading Angel
8. Doggie Dance Class
9. Mini-Poker

lb13
One dozen is a nice round number.

Bob Juch

#20 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:00 am

SportsFan68 wrote:

lb13
To get picky, the avatar is inaccurate: The cards couldn't be held so that the queens' images would be visible. It would work better if the caption was, "Oh! You have five valentines!"

minimetoo26

#21 Post by minimetoo26 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:04 am

Bob Juch wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:

lb13
To get picky, the avatar is inaccurate: The cards couldn't be held so that the queens' images would be visible. It would work better if the caption was, "Oh! You have five valentines!"
It's also inaccurate because it depicts animals playing cards. And a 7-year-old at a poker tournament.

Life goes on....

-Carl Sagan

Bob Juch

#22 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:05 am

minimetoo26 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
It's also inaccurate because it depicts animals playing cards. And a 7-year-old at a poker tournament.

Life goes on....
Animals can play cards! My 7-year-old knows how to play poker too. :P

minimetoo26

#23 Post by minimetoo26 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:06 am

Bob Juch wrote:
minimetoo26 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: To get picky, the avatar is inaccurate: The cards couldn't be held so that the queens' images would be visible. It would work better if the caption was, "Oh! You have five valentines!"

Life goes on....
Animals can play cards! My 7-year-old knows how to play poker too. :P
Yeah, but she wouldn't get in the door at the tournament... :P

-Carl Sagan

minimetoo26

#24 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:07 pm

So, poker. I get to the place and there's a bunch of people I don't know and the room smells like smoke. Which is sad because there's no smoking allowed on the property--these folks just reek from the smoke on their jackets and whatnot. They came along with the organization who runs the tournaments but since it was money for the baseball league it's all good. I was chatting with one of the ladies who runs the game and she told me those folks will play anything and chase to the river so if I got a hand bet it and I'd get paid off. Then the baseball people started showing up and it was fairly evident we had no chance against the others since most of us had never played before.

I sat at my table and we dealt for the button and I got the first ace, so I got to deal. I had a list of the top 20% of hands, but no one had raised and I had a pair of 7s and the button so I raised and the others all called. Everyone checked the flop so I put in more money and most folded but one lady (who I was told was a chaser) hung in to the end with her pocket 4s so I won the first pot. After that I stuck to my plan of folding garbage and got the reputation of being tight, so when everyone limped to my big blind I raised K7 off and got folders, then bet the flop with nothing and picked up the pot. I bet big with AK off and got credit for pocket aces. Then later I got dealt jacks and raised, the flop came TJT and I shoved all in and was called by pocket queens but the other queen never came so I busted out the man who made a liar out of me--his 7-year-old granddaughter came at one point, so they DID let 7-year-olds in the door! When it came time to break up our table I had so many chips I had to carry them in my sweater.

Down to two tables the level of play was much better and the blinds were bigger and I wasn't catching cards. There was one misdeal and I looked at AK off that had to go back. :evil: But I did end up at the final table, only I could carry my chips in my hand this time. Once again we dealt for the button and once again I got the first ace. Got pocket kings at one point and shoved, got a caller, and ended up with four princes, not four princesses like beast predicted! More garbage, then KT off which was on my list, so I shoved again but got called by pocket 9s, and when a 9 came out I was toast. Busted out by the eventual winner, who was one of the travelling pros. Third place was another baseball mom who had never played before but who got better cards than I did. If she had been more aggressive she might have won with what she was being dealt!

All in all it turned out to be a blast and we're going to do it again in the spring. I'll be back (but I might bring food--they had pizza and potato chips. I could do better!) The league made over $1000 in 4 hours. It was all good.... :mrgreen:

-Carl Sagan

Bob Juch

#25 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:51 pm

Very good! You must have done some reading and practicing at home?