Possible major life change coming

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
TheCalvinator24

Possible major life change coming

#1 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:58 pm

My wife and I made an offer on a bakery in Casper, Wyoming. The offer was $90,000 below the asking price, and I expected some back and forth. The sellers accepted our first offer.

If financing comes through, I am about to become a Baker's Assistant.

Casper is where Mrs. Cal's mom, stepdad, and one of her sister's lives.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Bob Juch

Re: Possible major life change coming

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:07 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:My wife and I made an offer on a bakery in Casper, Wyoming. The offer was $90,000 below the asking price, and I expected some back and forth. The sellers accepted our first offer.

Have you been to Casper in the winter? Even in the summer the weather's bad; windy like it is here today but every day. That'd be the biggest change. Nevertheless, I hope you're soon rolling in dough!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:13 pm

I think this sounds cooler than all get out.
Well, then

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:17 pm

Wow, that really is a major life change!

Best of luck, Cal!

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#5 Post by silvercamaro » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:27 pm

Casper is where I grew up, and it was a great place to spend a childhood.

I'll be going back there for a short visit next summer. Keep me posted if and when a move is in the works.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#6 Post by kayrharris » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:46 pm

I wish you both all the success ever. Good luck!

kay
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

TheCalvinator24

#7 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:09 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:My wife and I made an offer on a bakery in Casper, Wyoming. The offer was $90,000 below the asking price, and I expected some back and forth. The sellers accepted our first offer.

Have you been to Casper in the winter? Even in the summer the weather's bad; windy like it is here today but every day. That'd be the biggest change. Nevertheless, I hope you're soon rolling in dough!
I've been there for Christmas twice. The prospect of blizzards doesn't bother me, but you are right about the wind.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#8 Post by silvercamaro » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:19 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

I've been there for Christmas twice. The prospect of blizzards doesn't bother me, but you are right about the wind.
Casper wind is frequently the result of chinooks blowing down from Canada. So, when the wind is most uncomfortable, it means that it will be warmer soon. That's good news in the winter.

Winter does last a long time. For example, when the groundhog (or a prairie dog) saw its shadow on Feb. 2, predicting six more weeks of winter, I thought -- as a Wyoming child -- that meant early spring!
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

jaybee

#9 Post by jaybee » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:21 pm

Best of luck to you.

When I was 11, my dad left his job with ITT in North Jersey, sold almost everything we had and the whole family moved to the 'wilds' of Tennessee. We built a campground and marina, the whole family worked pretty much 24/7. The best thing we ever did.
Jaybee

mrkelley23

#10 Post by mrkelley23 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:36 pm

Sounds exciting. Best of luck to you and yours.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Catfish

#11 Post by Catfish » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:30 pm

Awesome. Good luck! If they don't have a theatre company already, will you start one?
Catfish

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#12 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:49 pm

Congratulations!

See you in 2017 when we come up for the eclipse!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

TheCalvinator24

#13 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:14 pm

Catfish wrote:Awesome. Good luck! If they don't have a theatre company already, will you start one?
There are two or three already. Not sure I'll have the time for the stage anytime soon.

Ritterskoop

#14 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:12 pm

Best wishes for however it turns out. Upheaval can be good for us.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#15 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:42 pm

Congratulations. Do the Texas and Wyoming Bars have reciprocity arrangements? Or do you plan to pack your shingle away for the foreseeable future? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#16 Post by littlebeast13 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:12 am

Best of luck, Cal....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

silverscreenselect

#17 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:12 am

Are there enough customers in Casper, WY to support a bakery right now? The fact that the sellers were so willing to bail out might be a red flag.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

jaybee

#18 Post by jaybee » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:13 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Are there enough customers in Casper, WY to support a bakery right now? The fact that the sellers were so willing to bail out might be a red flag.
On that same note: Is this set up as a 'traditional' small-town bakery or are there ways to make it better? I know that when I was growing up in N.J. that there were many fantastic bakeries selling items that are not available in East Tennessee - even after 40 years of Southern bakery progress. I for one would be thrilled to work with a bakery in say.....Casper WY, if I could go on-line and order a Jersey-style crumb coffee cake that could be shipped out to my door.
Jaybee

TheCalvinator24

#19 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:30 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Casper has 55,000 people. The owners are older and the husband has health issues that make it difficult for him to help.

We'll see if things change in the near future, but right now, the area is pretty booming because of the oil industry.

TheCalvinator24

#20 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:34 am

Bob78164 wrote:

Congratulations. Do the Texas and Wyoming Bars have reciprocity arrangements? Or do you plan to pack your shingle away for the foreseeable future? --Bob
I would have to take the WY Bar Exam. Wyoming offers admission by motion if the other state offers the same without requiring anything additional. Texas would require someone coming from Wyoming to retake the MPRE. Because of that, Wyoming requires the full Bar Exam.

I may decide to take the Wyoming Exam down the road, but I have no plan ever to be in private practice again.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#21 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:56 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

I would have to take the WY Bar Exam. Wyoming offers admission by motion if the other state offers the same without requiring anything additional. Texas would require someone coming from Wyoming to retake the MPRE. Because of that, Wyoming requires the full Bar Exam.

I may decide to take the Wyoming Exam down the road, but I have no plan ever to be in private practice again.
It may be useful for no other reason than to represent your own bakery.

Best of luck. And I'll have an onion bagel with cream cheese, please. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

clem21
Nose Exploder

#22 Post by clem21 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:00 am

Bob78164 wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Congratulations. Do the Texas and Wyoming Bars have reciprocity arrangements? Or do you plan to pack your shingle away for the foreseeable future? --Bob

It may be useful for no other reason than to represent your own bakery.

Best of luck. And I'll have an onion bagel with cream cheese, please. --Bob
Isn't there some rule that says you can represent a singular organization in another state if that organization is based in said other state?

Regardless, best of luck Cal! I love the idea of picking up, heading to a new place and starting something new. I feel like all great inspiring movies start that way. Let us know when you get to the "getting the hang of the bakery" montage part. I love montages.
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#23 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:12 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:Best of luck, Cal....

lb13
That avatar is wasting Cal's delicious baked goods! It will not win!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

geoffil

#24 Post by geoffil » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:27 pm

but I have no plan ever to be in private practice again.
Why don't you want to practice in private practice again? In order to get your license do you just have to take Wyoming state law or the whole bar exam again?
Geoffil hubby's grandparents are from Mule Creek.

For your supply of winter wardrobe essentials, Lands End is a great source. The temperature rating for each coat is very useful.

Is your bakery also a restaurant? This would make a great reality series.

What is Casper like?

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#25 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:32 pm

geoffil wrote:
but I have no plan ever to be in private practice again.
Why don't you want to practice in private practice again? In order to get your license do you just have to take Wyoming state law or the whole bar exam again?
Geoffil hubby's grandparents are from Mule Creek.

For your supply of winter wardrobe essentials, Lands End is a great source. The temperature rating for each coat is very useful.

Is your bakery also a restaurant? This would make a great reality series.

What is Casper like?
I don't speak for Cal, but with regard to taking the full bar exam, he did say: