I might become a soldier dog

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Lizbit
Four-Footer

I might become a soldier dog

#1 Post by Lizbit » Sat May 07, 2011 4:04 pm

So, I was reading about the team of Navy Seals who went after Mr. Osama Been Baddun, and I was very interested to learn that one of them was a dog. Then I found more articles about all kinds of soldier dogs with different kinds of jobs, and I was even more interested.
As it happens, my big sis Annie told me that I should get my own job after I finished Home School. Right now I have an important part-time job delivering books around the neighborhood. That is, my mom puts my backpack on me and fills the pockets with books, and we go on walks, and if anybody comes up to us to ask for a book, we have one handy! So far nobody has asked, but I'm ready for 'em when they do. Those books can be heavy! I usually need a nap when we get home.

Anyway, some soldier dogs parachute out of airplanes, some swim in deep water to retrieve things or save people, some stand guard, and some sniff out bomb smells. As it happens, I can do most of those things. I've never jumped out of a plane with a parachute, but I jump off the bed about 10 times a night without a parachute. I learned to swim at the Bed and Biscuit spa when I went there for my soaky bubbly baths. I am a good guarder and an Xcellent sniffer. (I don't know what bombs smell like yet, but I am going to ask my mom to buy me one so I can practice.) I've met bad guys, so I can identify them already. If I sniffed a bad guy, I would stand still and point at him until a two-footer came along to arrest him. I would make scary teeth, but I wouldn't bite anybody unless it seemed absolutely necessary.

So, I think I have the skills needed for the job, but there are two things holding me up. First, I'm not as big or scary looking as most of those soldier dogs. The only 2-footers who ever seemed scared of me are Miss Kay, when I tried to kiss her, and the lady who was shopping with her cat in PetSmart. Puh-lease! I'm not going to jump in your cart to eat your cat, Miss Lady. I have some manners. A lot of people think I'm on the cute side. (Just ask Mr. little.) It has occured to me that perhaps I could use my cuteness to catch enemy 2-footers off guard as a soldier dog spy. I will inquire about that. Second, I have to get my mom to join up with the soldiering, too, as I need to keep watch over her and make sure she sleeps in comfy places. I'm working on her, though, by sending her subtle eyelid messages. I'll know if that's working as soon as she checks her i-mail.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: I might become a soldier dog

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Sat May 07, 2011 4:44 pm

I do believe you could parlay the sitting against, the SITTING AGAINST, into a containment maneuver that the soldiers may have overlooked.
Well, then

mellytu74

#3 Post by mellytu74 » Sat May 07, 2011 6:27 pm

Lizbit --

You will be happy to know that my friend, Kathleen, is involved with the doggie soldiers from stateside.

Among other things, she helps collect blankets and towels for the doggie soldiers through a group called Furry Soldiers. The two-footed soldiers need blanket and towels so the doggie soldiers can sleep on them in the mountains and keep warm. Then, the two-footed soldiers roll up the towels and carry them.

Miss Denise has helped me pick out towels to give to the Furry Soldiers. She is very good at that. She has a great eye for color.

Flybrick

#4 Post by Flybrick » Sat May 07, 2011 7:43 pm

Dear Miss Lizbit,

Just knowing that there are ones like you waiting at home supporting the soldier dogs is often enough.

Of course, photos addressed to "Any soldier dog" certainly help morale as well... 8)

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#5 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:21 am

Lizbit wrote:So, I was reading about the team of Navy Seals who went after Mr. Osama Been Baddun, and I was very interested to learn that one of them was a dog. Then I found more articles about all kinds of soldier dogs with different kinds of jobs, and I was even more interested.
As it happens, my big sis Annie told me that I should get my own job after I finished Home School. Right now I have an important part-time job delivering books around the neighborhood. That is, my mom puts my backpack on me and fills the pockets with books, and we go on walks, and if anybody comes up to us to ask for a book, we have one handy! So far nobody has asked, but I'm ready for 'em when they do. Those books can be heavy! I usually need a nap when we get home.

Anyway, some soldier dogs parachute out of airplanes, some swim in deep water to retrieve things or save people, some stand guard, and some sniff out bomb smells. As it happens, I can do most of those things. I've never jumped out of a plane with a parachute, but I jump off the bed about 10 times a night without a parachute. I learned to swim at the Bed and Biscuit spa when I went there for my soaky bubbly baths. I am a good guarder and an Xcellent sniffer. (I don't know what bombs smell like yet, but I am going to ask my mom to buy me one so I can practice.) I've met bad guys, so I can identify them already. If I sniffed a bad guy, I would stand still and point at him until a two-footer came along to arrest him. I would make scary teeth, but I wouldn't bite anybody unless it seemed absolutely necessary.

So, I think I have the skills needed for the job, but there are two things holding me up. First, I'm not as big or scary looking as most of those soldier dogs. The only 2-footers who ever seemed scared of me are Miss Kay, when I tried to kiss her, and the lady who was shopping with her cat in PetSmart. Puh-lease! I'm not going to jump in your cart to eat your cat, Miss Lady. I have some manners. A lot of people think I'm on the cute side. (Just ask Mr. little.) It has occured to me that perhaps I could use my cuteness to catch enemy 2-footers off guard as a soldier dog spy. I will inquire about that. Second, I have to get my mom to join up with the soldiering, too, as I need to keep watch over her and make sure she sleeps in comfy places. I'm working on her, though, by sending her subtle eyelid messages. I'll know if that's working as soon as she checks her i-mail.

Private Lizbit.... I salute you!!!!

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

christie1111
11:11

#6 Post by christie1111 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:28 am

Found it and it is cute!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#7 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:51 am

Yay, Lizbit!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#8 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:58 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Lizbit wrote:So, I was reading about the team of Navy Seals who went after Mr. Osama Been Baddun, and I was very interested to learn that one of them was a dog. Then I found more articles about all kinds of soldier dogs with different kinds of jobs, and I was even more interested.

lb13

Just don't cut yourself.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#9 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:12 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13
Awesome avatar, LB. Love the black ops helicopter in the background...
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Lizbit
Four-Footer

#10 Post by Lizbit » Mon May 09, 2011 12:36 pm

I have been practicing. Over the weekend, I stood guard at the gate while my mom worked in the yard. I had to ask a cat for his ID, but he didn't have one. Then he asked for my ID! I showed him my rabies tag, so the cat left in a snit. (Dog joke: How can you tell the difference?) I crawled on my belly in the dirt, in case I'm ever asked to go under a barbed wire fence. I practiced sniffing everything I could find, including grass, flowers, old toys, and an armydillo that was trying to sneak into my yard through an underground tunnel. Armydillos stink! Even more than squirrels! I jumped off the bed a zillion more times, and I worked on physical training by doing a pushup and running 100 laps around the yard. I also jumped through my agility hoop a bunch, in case I ever need to go to the Pentagon. I heard that they really like jumping through hoops up there.

When my big chance comes, I'm going to be ready.

Sincerely,
PFC-in-training Elizabeth Barrett Brownhound

P.S. Thank you to Mr. General Flybrick for suggesting that I get in touch with Any Soldier Dog. I am going to do that. Not only do I want to show my support, but maybe I can get more tips on training.

P.P.S. Thank you, Evil Squirrel, for drawing the nice picture of you and me soldiering. We look pretty spiffy.

peacock2121

#11 Post by peacock2121 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:44 pm

This whole thread and lb's homage to it brightened my day.

Thank you Lizbit.

Private Fanny
Merry Man

#12 Post by Private Fanny » Mon May 09, 2011 1:48 pm

Lizbit wrote:I have been practicing. Over the weekend, I stood guard at the gate while my mom worked in the yard. I had to ask a cat for his ID, but he didn't have one. Then he asked for my ID! I showed him my rabies tag, so the cat left in a snit. (Dog joke: How can you tell the difference?) I crawled on my belly in the dirt, in case I'm ever asked to go under a barbed wire fence. I practiced sniffing everything I could find, including grass, flowers, old toys, and an armydillo that was trying to sneak into my yard through an underground tunnel. Armydillos stink! Even more than squirrels! I jumped off the bed a zillion more times, and I worked on physical training by doing a pushup and running 100 laps around the yard. I also jumped through my agility hoop a bunch, in case I ever need to go to the Pentagon. I heard that they really like jumping through hoops up there.

When my big chance comes, I'm going to be ready.

Sincerely,
PFC-in-training Elizabeth Barrett Brownhound

P.S. Thank you to Mr. General Flybrick for suggesting that I get in touch with Any Soldier Dog. I am going to do that. Not only do I want to show my support, but maybe I can get more tips on training.

P.P.S. Thank you, Evil Squirrel, for drawing the nice picture of you and me soldiering. We look pretty spiffy.
Git it, grrrrrl!!!1

Have you ever considered joining the Corps, Lizbit? It's so much fun! Gunny is just a little doll baby. He's a real character, too! We laff and laff.....
Sir, yes, sir!