Recipe from Epicurious

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
christie1111
11:11

Recipe from Epicurious

#1 Post by christie1111 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:07 pm

For a type of spanikopita

2 cups feta cheese
2 cups small-curd cottage cheese, drained
1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
4 large eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons minced parsley
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 box thawed phyllo pastry
2 sticks butter, melted PreparationMake the filling:
Fold together the cheeses, eggs, parsley, and salt and pepper in a small bowl.

Assemble the tyropitas:
For every 6 turnovers, you should use 2 layers of phyllo, liberally brushing each layer with melted butter. To assemble, start at the shorter end of the phyllo rectangle and cut into 6 even strips. Beginning at the far left lower corner of each strip, place 1/2 teaspoon of filling, and like folding an American flag, begin making right-angle turns until you have reached the end of the strip and you have a triangle-shaped pastry. Brush the turnovers liberally with butter and place them on wax paper. When all the triangles have been made, place them between layers of wax paper in a box or snap-top container and freeze. They can also be baked and eaten right away.

Preheat your oven to 400°F, and bake the pastries for 12 minutes on an ungreased cookie sheet (they already have enough butter). If they have been frozen they can go directly from the freezer to the oven for 20 minutes. They will be a pale golden color and very hot inside, so be careful with the first bite!

Phyllo Dough
Working with phyllo dough can be a frustrating experience if you ignore one important rule: Always defrost the dough slowly, overnight in your refrigerator. If you try to rush it you will lose half a box to sticky layers. Always keep the phyllo covered with a dry kitchen towel while working with it and brush layers liberally with melted butter.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

Re: Recipe from Epicurious

#2 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:09 pm

christie1111 wrote:For a type of spanikopita

2 cups feta cheese
2 cups small-curd cottage cheese, drained
1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
. . . etc.

Thank you, thank you. I thank you, and my tongue thanks you separately.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:09 pm

Drool.

I want to try making these. I shall. Thank you.
Well, then

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#4 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:11 pm

For those who don't understand why this has been posted, we decided in chat that we needed a designated thread in which to share favorite recipes. Feel free to add your own faves. Eventually, we'll get this established as a reference thread. In the meantime, our collective mouths will water.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

christie1111

#5 Post by christie1111 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:16 pm

Beebs52 wrote:Drool.

And my own personal hint. Invest in a wider, new paint brush for this type of buttering. Most people struggle with phyllo, but if you use a wider paint brush than the standard basting brush, the buttering is easier and the whole process is faster and less painful. Label the brush phyllo or something.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:17 pm

christie1111 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:Drool.

And my own personal hint. Invest in a wider, new paint brush for this type of buttering. Most people struggle with phyllo, but if you use a wider paint brush than the standard basting brush, the buttering is easier and the whole process is faster and less painful. Label the brush phyllo or something.
We have one of those wide basting brushes, the kind you can almost rinse off. I think it would work famously.
Well, then

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#7 Post by kayrharris » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:25 pm

This is one Greek dish I cannot eat. Feta cheese is not in
my list of favorites.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

marrymeflyfree

#8 Post by marrymeflyfree » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:04 pm

One of the great benefits of moving to Land O'Cleves is my neighbor Anna. Anna and her family are Greek. She's a fantastic cook who loves to share her hard work....mmm baby. She brought over some moussaka last week that was to die for!

I should try my hand at this recipe and see if it stacks up to her spanikopita. It looks fabulous!

Since we're in the kitchen, I will share the Italian Sausage with Tortellini stuff I made last night. (From the "Is It Soup Yet?" cookbook).

1 lb Italian sausage
1 cup chopped onions
2 garlic cloves
42 oz beef broth
1/2 cup dry red wine
28oz crushed tomatoes
28oz peeled whole tomatoes, cut up
15oz tomato sauce
1 cup sliced carrots
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp parsley flakes
1 cup sliced zucchini
9oz fresh cheese-filled tortellini
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
parmesan cheese

Remove casing from the sausage. In a 6qt stock pot, brown the sausage over medium heat. Set aside, reserving drippings in stock pot. Cook the onions and garlic in the sausage drippings for about 10 minutes. Add the cooked sausage, beef broth, red wine, crushed tomatoes, whole tomatoes, tomato sauce, carrots, basil, oregano, and parsley flakes. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Stir in the zucchini, tortellini, and bell pepper. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the tortellini are tender. Sprinkle each serving with parmesan cheese.

-----

Sooooo yummy. I used some really spicy locally-made sausage, and a fired-up version of the crushed tomatoes as well as (more) fresh herbs rather than dried. And more garlic than it calls for. Totally filling and yummalicious!

gotribego26

#9 Post by gotribego26 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:19 am

marrymeflyfree wrote:One of the great benefits of moving to Land O'Cleves is my neighbor Anna.

Sooooo yummy. I used some really spicy locally-made sausage, and a fired-up version of the crushed tomatoes as well as (more) fresh herbs rather than dried. And more garlic than it calls for. Totally filling and yummalicious!

Is Alesci's on Mayfield Rd still in business - great Italian market when I lived there.

marrymeflyfree

#10 Post by marrymeflyfree » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:02 am

gotribego26 wrote: Is Alesci's on Mayfield Rd still in business - great Italian market when I lived there.
I don't know, but it sounds like something I should check out. :-) I got the sausage in the recipe from a vendor at the Westside Market.

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:30 am

Does this look like you:

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

christie1111

#12 Post by christie1111 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:15 am

Bob Juch wrote:Does this look like you:

Yes, but I have a nice quilt on the bed.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#13 Post by kayrharris » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:14 am

Stuffed Mushrooms

12 servings

* 12 whole fresh mushrooms
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1 tablespoon minced garlic
* 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel. Carefully break off stems. Chop stems extremely fine, discarding tough end of stems.

2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and chopped mushroom stems to the skillet. Fry until any moisture has disappeared, taking care not to burn garlic. Set aside to cool.

3. When garlic and mushroom mixture is no longer hot, stir in cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, black pepper, onion powder and cayenne pepper. Mixture should be very thick. Using a little spoon, fill each mushroom cap with a generous amount of stuffing. Arrange the mushroom caps on prepared cookie sheet.

4. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the mushrooms are piping hot and liquid starts to form under caps.
Benjamin Franklin

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#14 Post by kayrharris » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:20 am

This is the BEST guacaomole! I think it's the touch of cayenne.

* 3 avocados - peeled, pitted, and mashed
* 1 lime, juiced
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup diced onion
* 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
* 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
* 1 teaspoon minced garlic
* 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper*

DIRECTIONS

1. In a medium bowl, mash together the avocados, lime juice, and salt. Mix in onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and garlic. Stir in cayenne pepper. Refrigerate 1 hour for best flavor, or serve immediately.
Benjamin Franklin

Tocqueville3

#15 Post by Tocqueville3 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:06 am

Tuesday was David's birthday but he was in Birmingham on business and dint get home 'til after 9pm. I will make his special birthday dinner tonight and include these with some NY strip and green salad. The thing that makes the dinner special is that we make the girls hit the bed early and we eat in peace.

Cornmeal Fried Onion Rings
Ingredients
2 large Spanish onions (or 3 yellow onions)
2 cups buttermilk
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (medium) yellow cornmeal
1 quart vegetable oil

Directions
Peel the onions, slice them 1/2 to 3/4-inch thick, and separate them into rings. Combine the buttermilk, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Add the onion rings, toss well, and allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes. (The onion rings can sit in the buttermilk for a few hours.) In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.

When you're ready to fry the onion rings, preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.

Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a large pot or Dutch oven. (A candy thermometer attached to the side of the pot will help you maintain the proper temperature.) Working in batches, lift some onions out of the buttermilk and dredge them in the flour mixture. Drop into the hot oil and fry for 2 minutes, until golden brown, turning them once with tongs. Don't crowd them! Place the finished onion rings on the baking sheet, sprinkle liberally with salt, and keep them warm in the oven while you fry the next batch. Continue frying the onion rings and placing them in the warm oven until all the onions are fried. They will remain crisp in the oven for up to 30 minutes. Serve hot.
"I would drape myself in velvet if it were socially acceptable."
--George Costanza

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#16 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:12 am

At the request of christie, I have added this thread to the Bored Reference Thread to store Bored recipes.....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#17 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:16 am

littlebeast13 wrote:At the request of christie, I have added this thread to the Bored Reference Thread to store Bored recipes.....

lb13
MWAH!

Bob Juch

#18 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:17 am

Tocqueville3 wrote:Tuesday was David's birthday but he was in Birmingham on business and dint get home 'til after 9pm. I will make his special birthday dinner tonight and include these with some NY strip and green salad. The thing that makes the dinner special is that we make the girls hit the bed early and we eat in peace.

Ingredients
2 cups buttermilk
1 quart vegetable oil

Directions
Peel the onions, slice them 1/2 to 3/4-inch thick, and separate them into rings. Combine the buttermilk, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Add the onion rings, toss well, and allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes. (The onion rings can sit in the buttermilk for a few hours.) In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.

When you're ready to fry the onion rings, preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.

Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a large pot or Dutch oven. (A candy thermometer attached to the side of the pot will help you maintain the proper temperature.) Working in batches, lift some onions out of the buttermilk and dredge them in the flour mixture. Drop into the hot oil and fry for 2 minutes, until golden brown, turning them once with tongs. Don't crowd them! Place the finished onion rings on the baking sheet, sprinkle liberally with salt, and keep them warm in the oven while you fry the next batch. Continue frying the onion rings and placing them in the warm oven until all the onions are fried. They will remain crisp in the oven for up to 30 minutes. Serve hot.
I'd add flakes of red and green chilies to the cornmeal.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#19 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:17 am

Tocqueville3 wrote:Tuesday was David's birthday but he was in Birmingham on business and dint get home 'til after 9pm. I will make his special birthday dinner tonight and include these with some NY strip and green salad. The thing that makes the dinner special is that we make the girls hit the bed early and we eat in peace.

Ingredients
2 cups buttermilk
1 quart vegetable oil

Directions

This reminds me of a friend's favorite birthday dinner. I was over at his sister's apartment back in our college days and she was cooking dinner. I asked about it and she mentioned that it was her brother's birthday dinner:

She sliced a potato and fried it.
She heated up a can of bake beans.
Dessert was green Jello.

Yup, that's it. To this day that is still his favorite birthday meal.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

peacock2121

#20 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:20 am

ulysses5019 wrote:

Ingredients
2 cups buttermilk
1 quart vegetable oil

Directions

This reminds me of a friend's favorite birthday dinner. I was over at his sister's apartment back in our college days and she was cooking dinner. I asked about it and she mentioned that it was her brother's birthday dinner:

She sliced a potato and fried it.
She heated up a can of bake beans.
Dessert was green Jello.

Yup, that's it. To this day that is still his favorite birthday meal.
Uly is the perfect man.

peacock2121

#21 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:21 am

I don't consider myself a lazy person.

Really, I don't.

All this recipe stuff is just too much work.

Tocqueville3

#22 Post by Tocqueville3 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:25 am

peacock2121 wrote:I don't consider myself a lazy person.

Really, I don't.

All this recipe stuff is just too much work.
You just have differnet priorities. And you're just feeding you and Sting. I would cook way different if it were just David and me.
--George Costanza

Tocqueville3

#23 Post by Tocqueville3 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:43 am

Christie -

Have you seen this site?

http://www.delish.com/

I like it almost as much as foodnetwork.com. It has more lifestyle stuff than on FN. It has some really cute pumpkin carving idears.

:)
--George Costanza

christie1111

#24 Post by christie1111 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:48 pm

Tocqueville3 wrote:Christie -

Have you seen this site?

http://www.delish.com/

I like it almost as much as foodnetwork.com. It has more lifestyle stuff than on FN. It has some really cute pumpkin carving idears.

:)
Thanks! Looks good.

I registered to win a $250K kitchen makeover. That would just about do it!

:-)

tlynn78

#25 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:19 pm

Not a recipe, but tocq's pumpkin comment reminded me; when i am gutting the pumpkins to prepare them for carving, I don't cut off the tops, I cut off the bottoms. (or the hole goes in the side if I want the stalk to be the 'nose') It makes it very simple to put the candle on my porch, then set the pumpkin down over it, and I don't have to mess with the lids - which always used to fall inside the pumpkins before I figured this trick out.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire