Super Tuesday Open Thread

If it's going to get the Bored heated, then take it here PLEASE.
silverscreenselect

Super Tuesday Open Thread

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:58 am

I'm starting this thread to have one place for posts regarding tomorrow's primary elections. While the presidential contests are pretty much decided, tomorrow is the first time that primaries will be held in several states, including California and Texas, for other races. (In Georgia, qualifying for lower offices begins this week, and the primaries are this summer.) Perhaps Bob#### can fill us in on the California results as they come in. Question to Bob: Who's your representative and what does the race look like in your district?

One sidelight here in Georgia is that progressives are trying to organize a protest vote similar to what took place in Michigan. There is no "uncommited" or "none of these choices" option here in Georgia, but voters can cast a blank ballot. A number of Republicans did so in the 2022 Senate race because they couldn't bring themselves to vote for Herschel Walker. But if they're just starting these efforts now, they're a bit late for early voting, which ended last Friday.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

kroxquo

Re: Super Tuesday Open Thread

#2 Post by kroxquo » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:38 am

I am actually working the polls here in North Carolina where we have a gubernatorial race as well as a number of state races. We will see what happens here.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

jarnon

#3 Post by jarnon » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:53 pm

In Arizona, Senator Kyrsten Sinema, who became an independent in 2022, has decided not to run for reelection. The leading candidates to replace her are Democrat Congressman Ruben Gallego and Republican Kari Lake.
Sen. Sinema wrote:In 2017, I warned we were at a crossroads. Our democracy was weakened by government dysfunction and the constant pull to the extremes by both political parties. I promised I would do my best to fix it, to protect and defend our Constitution, to listen to others without judging, to focus on what unites us, and to make Americans’ lives better. Through listening, understanding and compromise we delivered tangible results that make America safer, stronger and more prosperous. Yet, despite modernizing our infrastructure, ensuring clean water, delivering good jobs and safer communities, Americans still choose to retreat farther to their partisan corners. These solutions are considered failures either because they're too much or not nearly enough. It's all or nothing. The outcome less important than beating the other guy. The only political victories that matter these days are symbolic, attacking your opponents on cable news or social media. Compromise is a dirty word. We’ve arrived at that crossroad, and we chose anger and division. I believe in my approach. But it's not what America wants right now. I love Arizona, and I’m so proud of what we’ve delivered. Because I choose civility, understanding, listening, working together to get stuff done, I will leave the Senate at the end of this year.
Last edited by jarnon on Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#4 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:19 pm

Did our duty. We dint vote early this year so went to the wrong place first. No lines, age demo 65+...
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:27 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:58 am
Question to Bob: Who's your representative and what does the race look like in your district?
My current Representative is Adam Schiff. There are 12 candidates to succeed him, but it's realistically a three-way or four-way race for two ballot spots in the general. I think Mike Feuer is likely to get one of the spots. Laura Friedman, Anthony Portantino, and (maybe) Nick Melvoin also are serious contenders to reach the general election. All four leading candidates are Democrats.

I won't be in position to provide updates. I've been invited to a few Election Night parties. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#6 Post by Spock » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:56 pm

I voted DeSantis in the Minnesota Presidential Primary. What can I say? He was still on the paper ballot and dreams die hard.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:27 pm

I voted Haley just because. Knowing it was a lost vote here. Hah.
Well, then

flockofseagulls104

#8 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:45 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:27 pm
I voted Haley just because. Knowing it was a lost vote here. Hah.
OK, get in the middle so I can boo you.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:48 pm

Middle?
Well, then

flockofseagulls104

#10 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:11 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:48 pm
Middle?
See trollboy's latest repost of anti-trump clickbait. What the Reps have become.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

jarnon

#11 Post by jarnon » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:33 pm

kroxquo wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:38 am
I am actually working the polls here in North Carolina where we have a gubernatorial race as well as a number of state races. We will see what happens here.
The candidates for Governor are Lieutenant Governor Mark Robinson, notorious for his anti-gay and anti-Jewish rhetoric, and popular (and Jewish) Attorney General Josh Stein. This reminds me of the Mastriano-Shapiro race in Pennsylvania in 2022. I hope the result is similar.

Not every Christian nationalist is rural and white.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

kroxquo

#12 Post by kroxquo » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:30 pm

jarnon wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:33 pm
kroxquo wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:38 am
The candidates for Governor are Lieutenant Governor Mark Robinson, notorious for his anti-gay and anti-Jewish rhetoric, and popular (and Jewish) Attorney General Josh Stein. This reminds me of the Mastriano-Shapiro race in Pennsylvania in 2022. I hope the result is similar.

Not every Christian nationalist is rural and white.
This is shaping up to be one of the most watched (and expensive) gubernatorial races in history. Robinson handily beat mainstream Rep. State Auditor Dale Folwell and attorney Bill Graham who sank millions of his own money into the campaign. Even Graham (who is pretty ultra-right himself) came out and said today that Robinson is "unelectable" in the general election.

On a side note, on the Democratic side, someone named Mark H. Robinson ran for Lt. Governor and finished a much stronger than expected second. I figure a lot of red county democrats thought they were voting for the incumbent Lt. Governor.

The one big surprise in the down ballot races was the Republican race for the Council of State position of Superintendent of the Dept. of Public Instruction. Basically the Sec. of Education. (In NC elected positions are referred to as the Council of State. The Cabinet is appointed by the Governor). Rep. incumbent Catherine Truitt lost the primary to Michele Morrow whose only experience in education is home-schooling her five children and advocating for MAGA-related issues at various school boards across the state. As a teacher, I am terrified at the prospect of Robinson and Morrow in charge of education in our state.

silverscreenselect

#13 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:13 pm

kroxquo wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:30 pm
This is shaping up to be one of the most watched (and expensive) gubernatorial races in history. Robinson handily beat mainstream Rep. State Auditor Dale Folwell and attorney Bill Graham who sank millions of his own money into the campaign. Even Graham (who is pretty ultra-right himself) came out and said today that Robinson is "unelectable" in the general election.
With candidates like Robinson and Kari Lake in Arizona on the ballot, that may help motivate Democrats and independents to the polls who aren't all that gung ho about Biden.

Weyoun

#14 Post by Weyoun » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:18 am

Morrow is the perfect modern day Republican candidate. Absolutely zero experience at the job, which is why they wanted her to have it, because some folks actually don’t want to have public education in North Carolina

BackInTex

#15 Post by BackInTex » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:01 am

Weyoun wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:18 am
Morrow is the perfect modern day Republican candidate. Absolutely zero experience at the job, which is why they wanted her to have it, because some folks actually don’t want to have public education in North Carolina
Wrong. Some people don't want public education that won't hold students (and parents) accountable or that teach what they see is perversion.

The problem with much of the left, including those here is that they can't decompose issues. Everything is all or nothing, and the all includes DEI, abortion, and LGBTQ+.

To rephrase the above:
Weyoun: Some folks actually don't want to breathe
Truth: Some folks don't want to breathe what they feel are toxic gases.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Weyoun

#16 Post by Weyoun » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:39 am

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:01 am
Weyoun wrote:
Wrong. Some people don't want public education that won't hold students (and parents) accountable or that teach what they see is perversion.

The problem with much of the left, including those here is that they can't decompose issues. Everything is all or nothing, and the all includes DEI, abortion, and LGBTQ+.

To rephrase the above:
If this was an appointment position, you would not hire her. She literally has no experience with this. Not only has she never been an executive in an educational capacity, she’s actually never had children in public schools. She just hears crazy things about the transgender going into the bathroom to molest, and are here we are.

This is such a train wreck, you know somehow she’s going to get elected. Wait, this isn’t Alabama…

flockofseagulls104

#17 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:35 am

Weyoun wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:39 am
BackInTex wrote:
Weyoun wrote:

To rephrase the above:
If this was an appointment position, you would not hire her. She literally has no experience with this. Not only has she never been an executive in an educational capacity, she’s actually never had children in public schools. She just hears crazy things about the transgender going into the bathroom to molest, and are here we are.

This is such a train wreck, you know somehow she’s going to get elected. Wait, this isn’t Alabama…
Here is a simple test. I have no knowledge of this specific situation. But anyone who thinks having cross-dressing drag queens read stories or really have anything to do with elementary-age children is not only wrong, but they themselves should not have anything to do with 'educating' any children. If my childrens school district allows that stuff to happen, I would most definitely vote for this woman, whoever she is. If only to replace one of these woke assholes that is indoctrinating our children.

silverscreenselect

#18 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:11 am

My gosh, here's a witch reading stories to school children. She's probably indoctrinating them into satanic rituals so they go home and start conducting black masses and butchering their parents. How could we let things like this go on in our schools?

tlynn78

#19 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:14 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:11 am
My gosh, here's a witch reading stories to school children. She's probably indoctrinating them into satanic rituals so they go home and start conducting black masses and butchering their parents. How could we let things like this go on in our schools?

Too bad they aren't reading about the stars and stripes and their meaning.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

flockofseagulls104

#20 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:24 am

It is sickening that there's even one photo of this.

kroxquo

#21 Post by kroxquo » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:36 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:24 am

Sorry, but I see nothing wrong with it.

flockofseagulls104

#22 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:48 am

kroxquo wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:36 am
Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:24 am

Sorry, but I see nothing wrong with it.
And yes, krox, that's the problem. IMO and that of many others, it is in no way appropriate in any context. But it is being forced upon us.

jarnon

#23 Post by jarnon » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:50 pm

Also in North Carolina, Rev. Mark Harris is a Republican candidate for Congress. He thought he had been elected in 2018, but his close victory was invalidated when some absentee ballots for him were found to be bogus. His tag line: “In 2020, Democrats stole the election from President Trump. The year before, they did it to me.”

Speaking of election fraud, Dinesh D’Souza’s son-in-law Brandon Gill is a candidate for Congress in Texas. Harris and Gill will probably be in Congress next January and bring their personal experience to bear as the Electoral College votes are counted.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Weyoun

#24 Post by Weyoun » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:28 pm

Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:35 am
Weyoun wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:39 am
BackInTex wrote:

To rephrase the above:

Here is a simple test. I have no knowledge of this specific situation. But anyone who thinks having cross-dressing drag queens read stories or really have anything to do with elementary-age children is not only wrong, but they themselves should not have anything to do with 'educating' any children. If my childrens school district allows that stuff to happen, I would most definitely vote for this woman, whoever she is. If only to replace one of these woke assholes that is indoctrinating our children.
Let’s grant everything you say is true. If there’s a drag queen reading to a kid, isn’t that a local manner?

Seemed like something to take up with the school board. Don’t make the state superintendent, in charge of funding, and all these other resources, the person responsible for this.

As someone who doesn’t care, one way or the other, the thought that a bunch of creeps like you would make sure that someone incompetent is in charge, just to ensure that there would be no drag queen, ever, reading to a kid, is bizarre.

flockofseagulls104

#25 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:12 pm

no drag queen, ever, reading to a kid
The only part of his rant that makes any sense.