Fossil fuel solution?

If it's going to get the Bored heated, then take it here PLEASE.
mrkelley23

Fossil fuel solution?

#1 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:34 am

Today's Washington Post has an opinion piece that I would like to share. It's an idea I've heard tossed around before, but I never thought the technology or infrastructure existed on a large enough scale to make it realistic. The authors apparently think it's now possible.

My position has always been that as long as fossil fuels are available, they're going to be used. The energy density advantage they have over other forms of energy is too great to ignore for an energy-hungry world. So we might as well focus our efforts on ways to mitigate emissions for the future, and this article suggests one way this could happen. You should be able to access the article for free, even if you're not a subscriber.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

jarnon

Re: Fossil fuel solution?

#2 Post by jarnon » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:18 am

My first thought is that the efficiency of fossil fuels is negated by the cost of transporting and storing massive amounts of worthless, harmful CO2 gas.

One of the reasons hydrogen fuel is promising is that it can be converted to liquid ammonia and transported in pipelines. A scientific breakthrough that converts CO2 to a liquid or solid would make carbon capture a feasible option.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי