In two weeks, we are crossing the pond! Need some advice

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
fuzzywuzzy

In two weeks, we are crossing the pond! Need some advice

#1 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:48 am

At the end of August, fwh and I will be flying across the pond to Great Britain then onto France. We will be attending a conference at Oxford where he will be giving an invited talk. Then onto London, then to Paris via the chunnel.

We have NEVER been to London or Paris. I will have from Monday - Thursday to tour Oxford. I think that I will spend 2 days exploring the countryside. Then I will take a train into London for 2 day trips. We will spend all of Friday in London, and part of Saturday. Then onto Paris for 3 days. Then when we return from Paris, we will have 1/2 a day in London prior to departure.

My time is short in London, and therefore, I want to make the best of it. For all who have been there, what advice would you give me on what is a must see, and what I can skip?

Paris - I pretty much know what I want to do...Louvre, Orsay, night dinner cruise on the Seine, Eiffel tower, Champs-Elysees walk all the way to the Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, Parks & Gardens...etc...

Any hidden treasures in Pairs that we won't want to miss?

Thanks in advance for helping me!

fuzzy 8)
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#2 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:14 am

I have never been to either place, so I have no advice, but I hope that you have a wonderful trip!

MarleysGh0st

Re: In two weeks, we are crossing the pond! Need some advic

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:28 am

fuzzywuzzy wrote:Any hidden treasures in Paris that we won't want to miss?
I think you've already listed the highlights, but you could take in the view from the top of Montmarte.

All I can tell you about London is that you don't want to spend all your time there stuck in traffic on the motorway, hoping you'll make it to Heathrow in time to catch your plane! :shock:

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#4 Post by Here's Fanny! » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:31 am

London has a lot of walking tours. I personally think a trip would not be complete without the Jack the Ripper walk. But make sure you do the one with Donald Rumbelow as the guide!
Spoiler
I'm darned good and ready.

Evil Squirrel
Merry Man

#5 Post by Evil Squirrel » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:35 am

While you're in London, could you step on a few red squirrels for me? They are evil!

Thanks!
Squirrels are the architects of forests, the planters of trees, nature's own acrobats and show a zest for life that can inspire us. Every day should be National Squirrel Appreciation Day!

--squirrelmama (10/3/07)

Many of these (squirrel) migrations were probably caused by food shortages as well as habitat overcrowding. We solved that for them. We not only reduced their habitat, we reduced the whole species by about 90%. The least we can do now is share a little birdseed with them.

--Richard E. Mallery

2008 Squirrel of the Year Award winner

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:38 am

Evil Squirrel wrote:While you're in London, could you step on a few red squirrels for me? They are evil!
Promoting sectarian violence among squirrels? Oh, the horror!

nitrah55

#7 Post by nitrah55 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:40 am

The Champs Elysee is about as disappointing a walk as you will take. It is largely stores that you could find in a mall (granted, a nice mall) in a large city in the US. Disney Store, Timberland, Gap, you name it, you may as well be in Indianapolis. Take the Metro to the Arc de Triomphe.

Tulieries gardens in Paris are a great walk, not far from the Louvre.

British Museum is overwhelming. If you're in town for the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, go see it, but go early, as the crowds get thick. St Paul's Cathedral is great.

Have fun.
I am about 25% sure of this.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#8 Post by kayrharris » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:54 am

Evil Squirrel wrote:While you're in London, could you step on a few red squirrels for me? They are evil!

Thanks!
Good point and goo memory, ES. :D
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#9 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:45 am

London: Haven't been there in way too long, so here are the most important stops according to the memories that have remained the strongest.

1. Tower of London. Maybe it was partly because I lived in a state that barely existed a century before, but I was blown away by the antiquity of the place. (I touched a Roman wall with awe.) The Beefeaters are magnificent, and the various buildings made English history come alive for me in a new way. You can see the crown jewels, too, and they're worth the time.

2. The British Museum. Wow and wow and wow. Treasure from around the world will take your breath away. The Rosetta Stone or Greek and Egyptian antiquities may be the historically most important artifacts, but I remain fascinated by the tiny suit of armor worn by Henry VIII when he was a teenager and the massive armor for elephants froma different era. The downside for you is that there is no good way to hurry through the place. There's always more to see and one more room that you must go inside.

3. Harrod's Department Store in Knightsbridge. It's not like any other store, period. In fact, I loved that whole neighborhood, including a pub around the corner (with a fabulous French restaurant in the basement, at least then) and the Reject China Shop across the street.

Although this isn't necessarily related to your trip, here's how London most directly changed my life and self-image: That's where I discovered that I had the knack for hailing cabs. I am the Cab Whisperer.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:50 am

silvercamaro wrote:Although this isn't necessarily related to your trip, here's how London most directly changed my life and self-image: That's where I discovered that I had the knack for hailing cabs. I am the Cab Whisperer.
Gosh! Everyone thinks you need to shout for a cab. Whispering works better? 8)

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#11 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:21 am

As long as you're on the Ile de Cite visiting Notre Dame you might want to scoot around the corner down the island and visit Saint Chapelle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sainte-Chapelle

Luxembourg Gardens are nice. The Galerie Nationale du Jeu de Paume is a museum of modern art. It used to house the paintings which are now at d'Orsay. The Left Bank has funky shops and cafes and a great view of Notre Dame's flying buttresses.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#12 Post by frogman042 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:21 am

London - if you at all interested in the history of science and astronomy - Greenwich is close by and really fun - the typical photo is standing astride Longitude 0 - the museum at the observatory is a great, and IIRC the Cutty Sark is nearby as well - plus you get to walk in the footsteps of Sir Isaac - I remember taking public transport there and it wasn't very far from the center of London.

Paris - Don't miss the Orsay - an unimagianably huge and outstanding collection.

A small but great museum is the Musee de l'Orangerie - really worth it, especially since it is easy to see the entire collection and has a great location by the Tuileries gardens.

If you can squeeze it in the Pompidou Center is also great and the building is built inside-out so all the 'utilities' are on the exterior so they have nearly total freedom to customize the interior as they see fit - it is really worth the visit.

---Jay (If you know the year in the 20th century that Ingrid Bergman's Notorious was released - you will also know the number of days that left before the airing of my episode, hopefully)

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#13 Post by sunflower » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:28 am

London - bring lots of $$$!!! It's expensive!

I concur with the Tower of London suggestion. That is the one thing in London that I enjoyed. I would allocate several hours there. It's also at a nice location overlooking the tower bridge - great bakery right outside, grab a coffee and croissant and park it on a bench overlooking the river and the bridge, it's a nice place.

I also suggest doing a whirlwind tour of common tourist attractions, without actually paying to visit them all. I did most of the common stuff in a day with a well planned tube itinerary.

And if you want good food stick with Italian or Indian, or any of the french bakeries. Yes fish and chips is fun once or twice, but watch out for bones and skip the side of mushy peas.

I wasn't a fan of London, I personally think you'll like Paris better! But have fun!!!!

Bob Juch

#14 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:36 pm

sunflower wrote:London - bring lots of $$$!!! It's expensive!
Not as bad as it was recently. The pound closed at $1.8712 yesterday.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

wintergreen48

#15 Post by wintergreen48 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:42 pm

In Paris, you must visit Sainte-Chapelle, Louis IX's treasure box for the Crown of Thorns (he thought). It is the most beautiful building on the planet, and most of the stained glass is still original. The second story is the important part, and when you look around, it is a puzzlement as to how it stands up-- it seems almost entirely to be made of a wall of beautiful glass. It is the whole reason why Gothic architecture was created.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#16 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:46 pm

I forgot to mention the pickpockets. I carry all my important documents around my neck under my shirt. One morning I was walking along a quiet street when I was suddenly surrounded by street urchins. They disappeared as quickly as they had appeared. They had managed to relieve me of a map I had in a front pocket. I did not even feel my pocket being picked. Friends told me later that they were most likely gypsy children.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

Evil Squirrel
Merry Man

#17 Post by Evil Squirrel » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:58 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:I forgot to mention the pickpockets. I carry all my important documents around my neck under my shirt. One morning I was walking along a quiet street when I was suddenly surrounded by street urchins. They disappeared as quickly as they had appeared. They had managed to relieve me of a map I had in a front pocket. I did not even feel my pocket being picked. Friends told me later that they were most likely gypsy children.

So THAT's what the dickey's for....
Squirrels are the architects of forests, the planters of trees, nature's own acrobats and show a zest for life that can inspire us. Every day should be National Squirrel Appreciation Day!

--squirrelmama (10/3/07)

Many of these (squirrel) migrations were probably caused by food shortages as well as habitat overcrowding. We solved that for them. We not only reduced their habitat, we reduced the whole species by about 90%. The least we can do now is share a little birdseed with them.

--Richard E. Mallery

2008 Squirrel of the Year Award winner

fuzzywuzzy

#18 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:42 pm

Here's Fanny! wrote:London has a lot of walking tours. I personally think a trip would not be complete without the Jack the Ripper walk. But make sure you do the one with Donald Rumbelow as the guide!
Fanny,

Did you read Patricia Cornwell's book, "Portrait of a Killer"?

fuzzy 8)
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

fuzzywuzzy

Re: In two weeks, we are crossing the pond! Need some advic

#19 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:43 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
fuzzywuzzy wrote:Any hidden treasures in Paris that we won't want to miss?
I think you've already listed the highlights, but you could take in the view from the top of Montmarte.

All I can tell you about London is that you don't want to spend all your time there stuck in traffic on the motorway, hoping you'll make it to Heathrow in time to catch your plane! :shock:
Montmarte is on my list of things to do...Going to take the train to Heathrow... Thanks Marley!

fuzzy 8)
— Mark Twain

- Judy Garland

fuzzywuzzy

#20 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:45 pm

nitrah55 wrote:The Champs Elysee is about as disappointing a walk as you will take. It is largely stores that you could find in a mall (granted, a nice mall) in a large city in the US. Disney Store, Timberland, Gap, you name it, you may as well be in Indianapolis. Take the Metro to the Arc de Triomphe.

Tulieries gardens in Paris are a great walk, not far from the Louvre.

British Museum is overwhelming. If you're in town for the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, go see it, but go early, as the crowds get thick. St Paul's Cathedral is great.

Have fun.
nitrah55,

I also heard that about the Champs Elysee. The gardens are a must, and we are going to go to Buckingham Palace for the changing and we will get there very early... Thanks for the heads up! fuzzy 8)
— Mark Twain

- Judy Garland

fuzzywuzzy

#21 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:52 pm

silvercamaro wrote:London: Haven't been there in way too long, so here are the most important stops according to the memories that have remained the strongest.

1. Tower of London. Maybe it was partly because I lived in a state that barely existed a century before, but I was blown away by the antiquity of the place. (I touched a Roman wall with awe.) The Beefeaters are magnificent, and the various buildings made English history come alive for me in a new way. You can see the crown jewels, too, and they're worth the time.

2. The British Museum. Wow and wow and wow. Treasure from around the world will take your breath away. The Rosetta Stone or Greek and Egyptian antiquities may be the historically most important artifacts, but I remain fascinated by the tiny suit of armor worn by Henry VIII when he was a teenager and the massive armor for elephants froma different era. The downside for you is that there is no good way to hurry through the place. There's always more to see and one more room that you must go inside.

3. Harrod's Department Store in Knightsbridge. It's not like any other store, period. In fact, I loved that whole neighborhood, including a pub around the corner (with a fabulous French restaurant in the basement, at least then) and the Reject China Shop across the street.

Although this isn't necessarily related to your trip, here's how London most directly changed my life and self-image: That's where I discovered that I had the knack for hailing cabs. I am the Cab Whisperer.
SC,

How do you hail a cab that gets the cabbies to stop for you? :wink:

I have all of those on my London to do list...also, my GF told me to go to High Tea at Harrods...its worth every penny! Concerning the British Museum...Here's a little aside for you...in my hometown, there was an Egyptian couple that lived a mile from me. They had a store where they sold trinkets etc...from Egypt. In fact, Mr. Hakim, was present when they opened the tomb of King Tutankhamun. He didn't seemed to be cursed at all...lived a good long life with a waterfront home. :D
— Mark Twain

- Judy Garland

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#22 Post by sunflower » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:54 pm

You have to pay to use the bathrooms at Harrod's. At Victoria Station too!

fuzzywuzzy

#23 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:58 pm

wintergreen48 wrote:In Paris, you must visit Sainte-Chapelle, Louis IX's treasure box for the Crown of Thorns (he thought). It is the most beautiful building on the planet, and most of the stained glass is still original. The second story is the important part, and when you look around, it is a puzzlement as to how it stands up-- it seems almost entirely to be made of a wall of beautiful glass. It is the whole reason why Gothic architecture was created.
Wintergreen...thank you for this information. Can't wait to see Saint-Chapelle. I will report back!

fwh & I love to go into churches. When we were in Budapest we went into a church on the Buda side and it was amazing. Very low celings, all covered in tiny mosaic tiles. I can't remember what century? They were also flying the Vatican flag...because, while we were there, Pope John Paul II was visiting, and we actually saw him on several occassions.

fuzzy 8)
— Mark Twain

- Judy Garland

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#24 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:08 pm

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
SC,

How do you hail a cab that gets the cabbies to stop for you?
1. Posture. Stand straight. Look like you expect the cab to stop for you.

2. Smile as you wiggle your fingers high in the air. All the driver wants to do is get home every night without being robbed. Happy, pleasant women do not appear to be prospective robbers.

3. Before you go, buy a raincoat in any color besides black, tan or khaki. Those are common. You have a better chance of being visible on the side of the street in one that is peach or pale green.

4. Added at Annie's suggestion: Think a picture of the cab stopping for you onto the backs of the driver's eyelids. She says that will work, too, although I don't think she's ever hailed a cab. (I have no doubt she could do so, however, if the pizza guys ever stopped delivering.)
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

marrymeflyfree

#25 Post by marrymeflyfree » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:16 pm

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
My time is short in London, and therefore, I want to make the best of it. For all who have been there, what advice would you give me on what is a must see, and what I can skip?

If your weather is nice in London, and it probably will be this time of year, the parks are where its at. I've been to London countless times for work and have hit nearly all of the museums and touristy things...but my favorite days have been picnics and people watching in the parks. St James Park is pretty serene and pretty, full of some unique water birds (even pelicans!). There's a man who has trained the local (non-evil) squirrels. He always sits on the same bench on the right of the water (with Buckingham Palace at your back), and he's fun to watch as you wander around. St James Park is very nearby a lot of the big historical sites as well as the London Eye; you can easily fill a day here.

Hyde Park is really glorious on a sunny day. Lay on the grass with your feet in the water at the Diana memorial and watch the planes on approach to Heathrow. Rent a little boat and paddle around the pond. :-)

Of the tourist spots, Westminster Abbey and Tower of London are my top two recs, especially if you dig on really old stuff. Harrod's is fun...having high tea is something uniquely British, but I think it's better in the fall or winter. If you're into plants and whatnot, the Royal Botanic Gardens (a short tube ride from town) are pretty fantastic.

Food and drink....there's a reason people often bash British cuisine. It's not just a joke! But having said that, traditional pub fare can be really fantastic. (As for pubs, there are a ton of really old ones just about everywhere - get off the beaten path and you'll find the best ones tucked away in little alleys and side streets. If it looks new, look elsewhere.) And you really can't beat the local 'chippers'. Fish and chips wrapped in paper and dripping with oil and vinegar and you walk down the street...yum! Otherwise, stick to ethnic foods. Indian, Thai, Middle Eastern. If you like spice, there are some truly exceptional curry houses.

As for Paris....get outside the museums and wander the neighborhoods as much as you can. Have a crepe on the street, a late breakfast of croissants and strong coffee in a teeny cafe. Eat some really stinky cheese and smuggle home more wine than you are legally allowed. Get kissed on the banks of the Seine. The Eiffel Tower, cool as it is, is best seen lit up at night from below. The view from the top is nice, but not worth waiting in line for if it is busy.