Speculation

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
TheCalvinator24

Speculation

#1 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:50 am

Why is BobJuch so adamant in his opposition to this new home?
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Bob Juch

Re: Speculation

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:00 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:Why is BobJuch so adamant in his opposition to this new home?
Where did I say mine should be the official Bored?

I posted a poll.

I said the members should decide.

I must say I don't like the idea of a Bored hosted by someone who is concealing his or her identity and who worked behind the scenes.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like coups!
:(

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm

Let's not make this personal.

Everyone who has offered us a candidate site for our new home has done some lobbying for their own site. I appreciate all the efforts each and every one of them made.

I am still curious about who our sponsor is here. (Eyegor, I've sent you an e-mail to your regular gmail address and I've sent you a PM.) But aside from that curiousity, this is a better solution than having sites hosted by unknown outsiders. Setting up a group-run site might give us a little more security, in the event our patron is hit by a truck or something, but we can move on and consider that issue a little later.

I really like this new URL; it's memorable and undeniably identifies "us". :)

TheCalvinator24

#4 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:03 pm

You must have missed it where eyegor said the host didn't want a general announcement made. However, eyegor also said he would gladly provide the identity of our benefactor if one wants via e-mail.

I will say that eyegor is one of the BBs on my list of those whose motives I would never question.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

peacock2121

#5 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:06 pm

I can't figure out MM, and I think I know who our benefactor is.

peacock2121

#6 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:07 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:You must have missed it where eyegor said the host didn't want a general announcement made. However, eyegor also said he would gladly provide the identity of our benefactor if one wants via e-mail.

I will say that eyegor is one of the BBs on my list of those whose motives I would never question.
What has you question BobJuch's motives?

peacock2121

#7 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:08 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:Why is BobJuch so adamant in his opposition to this new home?
Where did I say mine should be the official Bored?

I posted a poll.

I said the members should decide.

I must say I don't like the idea of a Bored hosted by someone who is concealing his or her identity and who worked behind the scenes.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like coups!
:(
This doesn't feel like a coup to me.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:09 pm

peacock2121 wrote:I can't figure out MM, and I think I know who our benefactor is.
It's a secret clique of you, ghostjmf, HoltDad and Skippy, isn't it? :wink:

TheCalvinator24

#9 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:10 pm

peacock2121 wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:You must have missed it where eyegor said the host didn't want a general announcement made. However, eyegor also said he would gladly provide the identity of our benefactor if one wants via e-mail.

What has you question BobJuch's motives?
His shouting opposition seems irrational.

I'm trying to figure out a rationale.

peacock2121

#10 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:14 pm

I'll give you a rationale:

How great is it to be the savior, the man who everyone will thank - like Gary Love, for giving us a home!

peacock2121

#11 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:15 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:I can't figure out MM, and I think I know who our benefactor is.
It's a secret clique of you, ghostjmf, HoltDad and Skippy, isn't it? :wink:
Yea, that's it. My biggest, bestest buddies and I got together and used all of our know how and money to do it.

That's the ticket.

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:22 pm

peacock2121 wrote:I'll give you a rationale:

How great is it to be the savior, the man who everyone will thank - like Gary Love, for giving us a home!
I have no Messiah complex. If the Bored I set up was chosen as our home, I would have given several people Administrator privileges. I have already made several people Moderators. As I told you, I'm a Democrat.

starfish1113

#13 Post by starfish1113 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:25 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: As I told you, I'm a Democrat.
I guess I'll be the one to ask. What in the world does this have to do with creation of an alternate bored? Are Whigs not allowed to create a bored? Would Republicans run it like a dictatorship and only allow certain posts to appear? And what about Communists?

I see no cause and effect....

Bob Juch

#14 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:29 pm

starfish1113 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:As I told you, I'm a Democrat.
I guess I'll be the one to ask. What in the world does this have to do with creation of an alternate bored? Are Whigs not allowed to create a bored? Would Republicans run it like a dictatorship and only allow certain posts to appear? And what about Communists?

You must be intentionally missing my point.

I firmly believe that the members should decide where they want to call home.

I am against the fiat of one member who doesn't even post regularly anymore.

peacock2121

#15 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:29 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:I'll give you a rationale:

I have no Messiah complex. If the Bored I set up was chosen as our home, I would have given several people Administrator privileges. I have already made several people Moderators. As I told you, I'm a Democrat.
I didn't accuse you of anything. I gave a rationale.

peacock2121

#16 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:31 pm

starfish1113 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: As I told you, I'm a Democrat.

There is no cheese down this tunnel, fishie.

He has thrown that out at least once before as a defense for something. It indicates nothing in this conversation.

starfish1113

#17 Post by starfish1113 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:33 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
starfish1113 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: You must be intentionally missing my point.

I firmly believe that the members should decide where they want to call home.

I am against the fiat of one member who doesn't even post regularly anymore.
And a Republican couldn't have the same wish?

I guess my lack of Juchian abilities are shining through. I just don't see the connection.

AlphaDummy
Mr. Top Ten

#18 Post by AlphaDummy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:35 pm

[quote="starfish1113"] And what about Communists?

[quote]

Never mind the Commies.

What about Naomi???

(edited to wipe out my firts ESST moment on this Bored...)
"Again" - Herb Brooks (as played by Kurt Russell)

BackInTex

#19 Post by BackInTex » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:55 pm

I'm with Bob.

Many folks stepped up to build us a new home.

'gore polled everyone on which one they liked best.

Then 'gore announces the the new home, and it is not one of the choices.

This place is fine, and can be just as good as the place Bob setup. It is probably better we have our own domain, but to just come out and say "It's Official" is a slap in the face of everyone who participated in the process, either by setting up a new home, or voting on one. I did neither. I will end up where the most BBs end up.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

eyégor
???????

#20 Post by eyégor » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:44 pm

Bob Juch wrote: Where did I say mine should be the official Bored?
I don't know of any post where you did use that phraseology but you cannot deny that you actively promoted your bored. If not to be the 'official' bored, then what?
Bob Juch wrote:I posted a poll.
Someplace, somewhere, I pointed out the flaw to this approach. It is akin to asking a group of Democrats who should be prez. Do you think any Republicans will get much support.
Bob Juch wrote:I said the members should decide.
And they did. Given the disparate locations where people voiced their opinions/preferences, getting a consensus is difficult. I saw that we had a choice. We could constantly redefine the choices available, or we could just pick one.

I noticed that there was strong sentiment to finally have a home where the landlord didn't board the door one day. There was also the very real concern that many of us would melt away as time passed.

Did I have some sort of authority to do what I did? Of course not. No one has to post anywhere they don't like. But it was important to resolve this quickly. I remember one day quite a while ago when, while walking past Columbus Square, Pea looked at me and said, out of the blue,"You really do care about all of us." All I can say is, guilty, as charged. except mini
:twisted:
Bob Juch wrote:I must say I don't like the idea of a Bored hosted by someone who is concealing his or her identity and who worked behind the scenes.
Heaven forbid someone does something for this community and doesn't want adulation. Those who know who it is recognize him, I'm sure.
Bob Juch wrote:I am against the fiat of one member who doesn't even post regularly anymore.

Fiat? Really? :oops:

As to the second half of this statement, what, exactly is the criterion needed to be a regular poster? post every day? post every month? every week? In the history of this bored, in all its various guises, I believe I have gone over 2 weeks withot posting once since February of 2000. Am I less verbose than I once was? Certainly. Have I devolved to drive-by status? Hardly.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#21 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:36 pm

eyégor wrote:Heaven forbid someone does something for this community and doesn't want adulation. Those who know who it is recognize him, I'm sure.
I'm pretty sure I've deduced who it is, and I'd like to add my thanks for coming up with a superior solution. Any of us could have thought of registering this domain name. But only one of us actually did it. Huzzah! :D --Bob

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#22 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:06 pm

Huzzah to both Bobs, and the non-Bobs as well, who all gave us options. The important thing is that we live to post another day and the family stays together.

I couldn't live without reading those shoe threads! :twisted:
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

plasticene

#23 Post by plasticene » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:20 pm

I don't get all the criticism of Bob. He gave his time and talent to creating a board that he hoped its users would like. He was extraordinarily responsive to requests for changes, even when they didn't match his own preferences. He had created something of which he was justly proud, and then was told he could just throw it in the garbage, it wasn't needed anymore. What a slap in the face!

And the reason he's upset is that he has a Messiah complex? I don't think it's that complicated!

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#24 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:05 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
eyégor wrote:Heaven forbid someone does something for this community and doesn't want adulation. Those who know who it is recognize him, I'm sure.
I'm pretty sure I've deduced who it is, and I'd like to add my thanks for coming up with a superior solution. Any of us could have thought of registering this domain name. But only one of us actually did it. Huzzah! :D --Bob
I looked up the domain name on WHOIS and the registered owner is pretty close to Placentia (and a Border's book store). I am pretty curious about the identity of the owner of the domain name.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#25 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:42 pm

Why don't we just call this the BOB Bored.