Oscar Thoughts

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Oscar Thoughts

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:19 pm

-- A very predictable night overall with relatively little in the way of controversy. The John Cena Best Costume Award was the comic highlight of the evening.

-- The only suspense was for Best Actress. I thought Lily Gladstone should have won for a career performance. Emma Stone's work was stagey; Gladstone was sincere.

-- Much as I liked Oppenheimer, I really wish Paul Giamatti had won Best Actor. I've seen The Holdovers twice and it's broken me up both times. It tugs at the emotions and one scene in particular I really relate to.

-- Last night, Ariana Grande was the musical guest on Saturday Night Live in New York and was onstage until 1:00 am. Tonight, she presented the Best Score and Song awards with Cynthia Erivo at the Oscars. The show started at 7:00 eastern time and she lost an hour because of the daylight savings time crossover. That's really hoofing it.

-- The best new touch was having five former winners in each acting category give a little speech about one of the nominees in that category. The best moment was when Nicolas Cage noted that Paul Giamatti wore an opaque contact lens to simulate his character's droopy eye condition so he couldn't see through one eye. Cage then said, "Would I do something like that?... Hell, yes I would."

-- Steven Spielberg (who would later present the Best Director Oscar) had won of the best moments when Kate McKinnon was told the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park and Jeff Goldblum weren't real. She then asked "who have I been sending the tasteful nudes of myself to, then?" Spielberg pointed to himself.

-- Jimmy Kimmel's best moment is available in the political lounge in my Oscar category there.

-- They screwed up the In Memoriam segment again. To get more people in the segment during the available time, they switched to showing five names and pictures at one time that were projected on five columns at the back of the stage. These were behind-the-scenes people, most of whom I had never heard of. Then at the very end, they showed a single card in the background that probably had 20 to 30 names on it that flashed up quickly and were gone in about five seconds. Cormac McCarthy was the only one I had a chance to identify before they disappeared. They will get a lot of flack for this one. A better note, the segment opened with Alexsey Navalny, who was the subject of last year's winning documentary.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Vandal
Director of Promos

Re: Oscar Thoughts

#2 Post by Vandal » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:58 am

Zendaya could use a sandwich or two.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:12 am

Notable: Norman Lear, David McCallum, Tom Smothers, Treat Williams, and Burt Young.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

mellytu74

#4 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:19 pm
-- A very predictable night overall with relatively little in the way of controversy. The John Cena Best Costume Award was the comic highlight of the evening.

-- The only suspense was for Best Actress. I thought Lily Gladstone should have won for a career performance. Emma Stone's work was stagey; Gladstone was sincere.

-- Much as I liked Oppenheimer, I really wish Paul Giamatti had won Best Actor. I've seen The Holdovers twice and it's broken me up both times. It tugs at the emotions and one scene in particular I really relate to.

-- Last night, Ariana Grande was the musical guest on Saturday Night Live in New York and was onstage until 1:00 am. Tonight, she presented the Best Score and Song awards with Cynthia Erivo at the Oscars. The show started at 7:00 eastern time and she lost an hour because of the daylight savings time crossover. That's really hoofing it.

-- The best new touch was having five former winners in each acting category give a little speech about one of the nominees in that category. The best moment was when Nicolas Cage noted that Paul Giamatti wore an opaque contact lens to simulate his character's droopy eye condition so he couldn't see through one eye. Cage then said, "Would I do something like that?... Hell, yes I would."

-- Steven Spielberg (who would later present the Best Director Oscar) had won of the best moments when Kate McKinnon was told the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park and Jeff Goldblum weren't real. She then asked "who have I been sending the tasteful nudes of myself to, then?" Spielberg pointed to himself.

-- Jimmy Kimmel's best moment is available in the political lounge in my Oscar category there.

-- They screwed up the In Memoriam segment again. To get more people in the segment during the available time, they switched to showing five names and pictures at one time that were projected on five columns at the back of the stage. These were behind-the-scenes people, most of whom I had never heard of. Then at the very end, they showed a single card in the background that probably had 20 to 30 names on it that flashed up quickly and were gone in about five seconds. Cormac McCarthy was the only one I had a chance to identify before they disappeared. They will get a lot of flack for this one. A better note, the segment opened with Alexsey Navalny, who was the subject of last year's winning documentary.
The John Cena thing cracked me up, too. So did the come-at-me shot of Michael Keaton when Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito talked about being Batman villains.

I am SO disappointed for Lily Gladstone. I appreciated Stone's performance in a truly difficult role but, as much as I like her and Mark Ruffalo, I didn't care much for Poor Things. Gladstone's performance was very powerful.

I thought Cillian Murphy was great but I was hoping that Paul Giamatti, a personal favorite, would win. But, can a Nic Cage/Paul Giamatti buddy movie be far behind? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought the biggest locks were Robert Downey Jr. and DaVine Joy Randolph and neither's speech disappointed. I know actors who know DaVine and they are beyond thrilled for her. And, she is a Temple Owl, which makes me doubly happy.

Ditto on Grande pulling yeoman's duty on SNL and the Oscars and the Spielberg/McKinnon stuff.

In Memoriam aggravated me more than usual. I am sorry, but former Oscar nominees Frederic Forrest and Burt Young should have been more than afterthoughts. Honor former nominees, damn it!! Give them pictures!!

Vandal
Director of Promos

#5 Post by Vandal » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:00 pm

Al Pacino was supposed to present with Michelle Pfeiffer, but she had to drop out last-minute because of a family emergency.

https://ew.com/michelle-pfeiffer-misses ... on-8606685

According to Variety, “Killers of the Flower Moon” is Martin Scorsese’s third film to go zero-for-10 at the Oscars, following “Gangs of New York” and “The Irishman” in this dubious achievement.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster