RIP Steve Lawrence

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Vandal
Director of Promos

RIP Steve Lawrence

#1 Post by Vandal » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:22 pm

Steve Lawrence, crooner who formed pop duo with wife Eydie, dies at 88

Steve Lawrence, a creamy-voiced pop crooner who popularized the standards “Go Away Little Girl” and “I’ve Gotta Be Me” and formed a crowd-pleasing act with his wife, Eydie Gormé, for more than five decades, died March 7 at his home in Los Angeles. He was 88.
The cause was complications of Alzheimer’s disease, said his son David Lawrence.

Often billed as “Steve and Eydie,” Mr. Lawrence and his wife were a ubiquitous presence on records, television variety shows and in nightclubs from Las Vegas to the Catskills. Mr. Lawrence, with his boyish good looks and self-assured grin, and Gormé, with her raven bouffant and beaded, feathered dresses, projected an appealing playfulness. They would finish each other’s sentences and rib each other in their sharp-tongued repartee.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituari ... oUXemcoLWA
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

silverscreenselect

Re: RIP Steve Lawrence

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:26 pm

I would have missed this one on Dead or Alive. He was also a very talented comedian, appearing numerous times on the Carol Burnett Show.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:55 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:26 pm
I would have missed this one on Dead or Alive. He was also a very talented comedian, appearing numerous times on the Carol Burnett Show.
In fact, he was on "Carol Burnett and Friends" last night on MeTV.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#4 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:12 pm

One of his obituaries called his voice creamy, and I agree with that. He and Eydie really were funny in those dumb skits.

I remember one episode of an action television show, one of those buddy shows, starring Steve and somebody I can't remember as detectives. I tried to find it just now but couldn't do it. I thought it would become a regular series, but no soap.

I too would have missed this on Dead or Alive.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:50 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:12 pm
I remember one episode of an action television show, one of those buddy shows, starring Steve and somebody I can't remember as detectives. I tried to find it just now but couldn't do it. I thought it would become a regular series, but no soap.
"The Cleaner"?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

mellytu74

#6 Post by mellytu74 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:46 pm

TLAF and my aunts, grandmother and great-aunts had a Pokeno Club. They met every month at a different house, played Pokeno and drank whiskey sours.

They also threw money into a kitty for a yearly trip.

They saw Steve and Eydie one year in New York City. It was such a wonderful time that she and my Aunt Lucy talked about it for years. We were talking about it with cousins the days before TLAF went into hospital.

I always liked seeing him on Carol Burnett because he was always having such a good time.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#7 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:57 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:50 am
SportsFan68 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:12 pm
"The Cleaner"?
No, but thanks for the suggestion.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller